• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Games of the Year 2014 Awards

Vexxan

Good going Nintendo, so many fine games this year.

Also good job to all the people who put this together, love me some data.

Great to see Nintendo do so damn well, totally deserved. Also realky happy to see Driveclub so high up, great game.

All in all, it seems Gaffers in general have excellent taste

Mr. RHC

Legit shook @ Wii U domination! Wow!
Thank you Cheesemeister and timetokill for conducting the Awards again this year and everyone participating!

Going to check out the Affinity Data etc. and reading some ballots!

Cream

Banned
Now do a price drop for Wii U so I can actually play these games! :(. Local supply of Wii U bundles are sadly pretty terrible and if available quite expensive.

2014 will probably be the best year of Wii U life so it's not gonna get much better time to get one.

Zelda, Xenoblade, Splatoon, Star Fox. Wii u just getting started.

Bl@de

Might & Magic X, Wasteland 2 and Grimrock 2 all in front of AC:Unity

Faith in Gaf restored. Good list.

Haunted

I didn't expect any of my other choices to rank particularly highly, but I'm honestly surprised Hearthstone didn't make the top 20.

This forum has amazing taste. Great top 10. Thanks for also not forgetting DKC:TF!

Forgot to submit my GOTY but all my choices got the recognition they deserved :)

Now do a price drop for Wii U so I can actually play these games! :(. Local supply of Wii U bundles are sadly pretty terrible and if available quite expensive.

2014 will probably be the best year of Wii U life so it's not gonna get much better time to get one.

Well... Zelda, Splatoon, Starfox & Xenoblade coming this year xD

Oh hey, actually had a decent affinity list for once. Not that it's a major point, but Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F is missing from the top Rhythm games and overall rankings, despite being in the PSV category at 17 points (which is also odd, because it's on PS3 as well and isn't a Vita exclusive).

Anyway, gj and thanks for running this again.

Surprised DR1 won over DR2, though I personally prefer 2 over 1.
Glad to see them both doing relatively well, but yeah, DR2 was my #1 (with DR1 at #2).

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Great work and huge surprise at top three. Also it's a positive surprise for me that DKCTF made it into Top Ten. It seems a bit strange though that the top 3 got voted in there by around 20% of people who even had a single Nintendo-exclusive on their list. It seems Nintendo has few players but convinced the players it had really good this year. Bolded: Games I already own and liked, striked: Games that disqualify because of genre. I wanted to put into italics games I own and hate, but surprisingly, there are none in the top twenty. Maybe I should try some of these (obviously, Smash Bros. being a big candidate, but I'd have bought it some time down the road anyway)

How exactly do the recommendations work? Analysing my recommendations:
1. [NWU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Fighting) = 20 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [XB1] Sunset Overdrive (Shooter) = 7 points
3. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] The Evil Within (Horror) = 6 points
4. [NWU] Hyrule Warriors (Action) = 6 points

5. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (RPG) = 5 points
6. [PS4][PC] TowerFall Ascension (Action) = 4 points
7. [PSV] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Adventure) = 4 points
8. [PS4] Infamous: Second Son (Action) = 4 points
9. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (RPG) = 3 points
10. [3DS] Shin Megami Tensei IV (RPG) = 3 points
11. [PC] Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (Action) = 3 points
12. [360][XB1][PC] Titanfall (FPS) = 3 points
13. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Rhythm) = 3 points
14. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Alien: Isolation (Horror) = 2 points, 2 honorable mentions
15. [NWU] Bayonetta (Action) = 2 points
16. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Destiny (FPS) = 2 points
17. [360][PS3][PC] Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (Action) = 2 points
18. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Child of Light (RPG) = 2 points
19. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Action) = 2 points
20. [3DS] Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (Fighting) = 2 points

Lernaean

Banned
Amazing work OP and everyone involved, and great taste for GAF. I may disagree here and there but generally it's a very solid list.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Fuck I forgot to vote! Not a bad lookin top 20, though. Sunset Overdrive being recognized as best X1 game and shooter is awesome possum. Nice to see Wolfenstein as well.

What a deserved winner. The gaming media could learn a thing or two from GAF, and that includes some of the wonderful write-ups I read the past weeks.

Congrats to Nintendo and Platinum in particular, they made a stellar game.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Get a refurb direct for cheap and go to town.

Phinor

Hard to agree with almost any of the top 10 picks especially the top 4, but that's why it's a vote.

47th best RPG released last year won RPG of the year in GAF so there's that little issue too ;)

Tizoc

oH HEy so these 50 games are commended for me! Let's see here...
1. [NWU] Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Platform) = 13 points, 1 honorable mention
2. [NWU] Bayonetta 2 (Action) = 11 points
3. [NWU] Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Fighting) = 8 points, 1 honorable mention
4. [3DS] Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth (RPG) = 8 points
5. [NWU] Mario Kart 8 (Racing) = 8 points
6. [3DS] Yoshi's New Island (Platform) = 7 points
7. [PS4] Infamous: Second Son (Action) = 7 points
8. [PSV] Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Adventure) = 7 points
9. [XB1][PS4] Grand Theft Auto V (Adventure) = 6 points
10. [NWU][3DS][PC] Shovel Knight (Platform) = 6 points
11. [PS4] Driveclub (Racing) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
12. [NDS] Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (Adventure) = 4 points, 1 honorable mention
13. [PS4][PC] Transistor (RPG) = 4 points
14. [3DS] Kirby: Triple Deluxe (Platform) = 4 points
15. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Alien: Isolation (Horror) = 3 points, 2 honorable mentions
16. [PS4] The Last of Us: Remastered (Horror) = 3 points
17. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC][IOS][AND] Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Adventure) = 3 points
18. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][NWU][PC] Child of Light (RPG) = 3 points
19. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (Action) = 3 points
20. [PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] OlliOlli (Sports) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
21. [PS3][PSV][PC] Luftrausers (Shooter) = 2 points, 1 honorable mention
22. [360][XB1] Forza Horizon 2 (Racing) = 2 points
23. [NDS] Retro Game Challenge 2 (Action) = 2 points
24. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare (Strategy) = 2 points
25. [NWU] Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Puzzle) = 2 points
26. [PS3][PS4] LittleBigPlanet 3 (Platform) = 2 points
27. [PS3][PS4] The Last of Us: Left Behind (Adventure) = 2 points
28. [PC][IOS][AND] The Banner Saga (Strategy) = 1 point
29. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4] Destiny (FPS) = 1 point
30. [360][XB1][PS3][PSV][PS4][PC] The Walking Dead: Season Two: Episodes 2-5 (Adventure) = 1 point
31. [PS4] Infamous: First Light (Action) = 1 point
32. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions (Shooter) = 1 point
32. [3DS] Yumi's Odd Odyssey (Action) = 1 point
34. [3DS] Pokémon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (RPG) = 1 point
35. [XB1][PS4][PC] Assassin's Creed Unity (Adventure) = 1 point
36. [PS3][PSV][PS4][IOS][AND] CounterSpy (Platform) = 1 point
37. [NWU] Hyrule Warriors (Action) = 1 point
38. [3DS] Tomodachi Life (Simulation) = 1 point
39. [PS3][PS4][NWU] Teslagrad (Platform) = 1 point
40. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] The Legend of Korra (Action) = 1 point
41. [PSV] Destiny of Spirits (Strategy) = 1 point
42. [360][XB1][PS4][NWU] Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Platform) = 0 points, 2 honorable mentions
43. [PC] Shantae: Risky's Revenge (Platform) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
44. [PC] Divinity: Original Sin (RPG) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
45. [XB1] Sunset Overdrive (Shooter) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
46. [360][XB1][PS3][PS4][PC] Far Cry 4 (FPS) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
47. [3DS] Inazuma Eleven (Sports) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
48. [3DS] Azure Striker Gunvolt (Action) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
49. [PSV] Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Strategy) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention
50. [3DS] Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (Rhythm) = 0 points, 1 honorable mention

Riposte

Haha, wow, how the hell did I miss Tain and Semblance list? What a silly way to find out. I was actually a little bummed when I figured both had missed out. Was cool seeing iconoclast do one and also Nocturnowl.

RIP ViewitfulJC.

EDIT: Would be really cool if I could edit in my user affinity into my voting post...

I also want to sincerely thank everybody who posted thoughtful comments on their selections.

I found a lot of gems I have to get to, including 80 Days and Danganronpa.

spekkeh

Banned
Oh lawd 1-2-3.

Probably the best GOTY list I saw anywhere though. GAF, timetokill and Cheesemeister

57406410.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Nice work! And Wii U really had a top notch 2014 in terms of games quality. Mario Kart 8 was the sleeping hit of this vote, as it was not necessarily on top of many lists, but a constant presence in tops. I'm surprised to see DKC:TF so high in the top, at it really seemed to be a game that came and passed quietly around here.

Woo, Nintendo! Well deserved. Also, love all the DanganRonpa 1 + 2 support. (Shouldn't it be included in the new IP list?)

Wow at the Microsoft exclusive stats. >_>

Thanks to everyone involved in running/compiling this. :)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Good on Nintendo for steady pumping out quality games.

The rest of the year has been a sore disappointment, really. Thank god 2015 looks to be packed to the brim already.

Tidd

Seal of quality award and ubisoft is 2nd lol something has to be wrong with that :D

But otherwise I always love how detailed this award is.
Nintendo definitely had some great games last year. I still need to buy Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze >.>

NEO0MJ

oH HEy so these 50 games are commended for me! Let's see here...

Looks like you need a Wii U, brah.

Seal of quality award and ubisoft is 2nd lol something has to be wrong with that :D

Regardless of how you feel about them they're still the biggest publisher right now (I think?) and were bound to get a lot of votes. Only two of their games made the top 20 but a lot of voted for games they published so they won.

And yeah, you need DKC TF.

Zocano

Looked at Affinities and most of them are just people with Bayo 2 at #1 and so I shrug and continue to be alone.

It's good but not that good.

GAF did good. Nintendo had the year of the year. Frankly we produced a better list here than any website's GOTY lists.
I had Mario Kart #1 though.

Legit shocked Drive Club landed as low as it did, given how vocal its proponents were on this forum. But I guess there were just as many who are still waiting for it on PS+.

How GAF ranked my top 10:

5. Dark Souls II
27. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls
90. Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
95. Lords of the Fallen
17. Transistor
21. Driveclub (Bumped up due to TLOU Remaster?)
23. Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
12. Destiny
22. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
31. P.T.

At least most of them fall in the 20-30 range. No love for Tomb Raider or LOTF makes me sad.

Top Bottom