• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Top 50 Nintendo Games of All Time (2016 Edition)

Just like you're happy your games were the same that everybody else picked, I'm kind of happy that my games weren't :)

To close: The remaining games I have never played from the complete list. Anything where someone would scream "blasphemy you have not played this"?
Yes, these from my list:
150. MaBoShi: The Three Shape Arcade (Wii) 4 points
151. Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA) 4 points
161. Pushmo (3DS) 3 points, 2 HM
168. Polarium Advance (GBA) 3 points, 1 HM
275. BOXBOY! (3DS) 1 HM
279. Orbital (GBA) 1 HM

Aters

To close: The remaining games I have never played from the complete list. Anything where someone would scream "blasphemy you have not played this"?

102. Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (SNES) 8 points
103. Advance Wars II Black Hole Rising (GBA) 8 points
112. Hotel Dusk Room 215 (DS) 7 points, 2 HM
115. Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War (SNES) 6 points, 3 HM

It won't be "blasphemy" if you never played these, but they are really great games.

Bamboo

Yes, these from my list:
So, you're the person that ranked Polarium Advance #3! It's my HM, but nobody seems to have played it. One of the best (if not the best) puzzle games for GBA.

103. Advance Wars II Black Hole Rising (GBA) 8 points
168. Polarium Advance (GBA) 3 points, 1 HM
179. Warioware Twisted! (GBA) 2 points, 3 HM
188. Warioware inc. Mega Party Games (GC) 2 points, 1 HM
These are really good.
Advance Wars II is more of the same if you've played the first and just need another fix. They're both brilliant.
Polarium is my favorite puzzle game for GBA.
WarioWare Twisted is nearly as good as the original. It's highly unique and the perfect in-between action game. I only didn't include it in my list, because of the first.
Same goes for WarioWare GC. The only difference from the GBA version is the multiplayer. But it's a blast! My most played GC multiplayer game (next to Double Dash).

So, you're the person that ranked Polarium Advance #3! It's my HM, but nobody seems to have played it. One of the best (if not the best) puzzle games for GBA.
I agree.

I played it through - all 360-odd puzzles - between August 2013 and New Year's Eve 2013/14. I instagrammed some photos and made some tweets to chat my progress, and a French guy popped up to say that he thought we were the only two people in the world playing the game at that point. Quite cool!

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Is Polarium Advance sufficiently different from the DS one? That one I have played a lot and liked it a lot as well, but I assumed the GBA one would probably just be a port.

The Fire Emblems are definitely planned, but Advance Wars 2 I will probably not play, because I have played the first (and some later ones) and did not like it too much. Of course, due to certain similarities to Fire Emblem, it is still enjoyable to me in principle, but I dislike the option to build new units. Since I'm mostly playing solo, I think Wario Ware GC is redundant for me.

Kneefoil

What my Top 10 was, and how the games on it placed on the list:
1. Majora's Mask (#8)
2. Pokémon HeartGold/SoulSilver (#40)
3. Pokémon Platinum (#53)
4. Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal (#18)
5. Splatoon (#21)
6. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (#17)
7. Star Fox 64 (#35)
8. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (#16)
9. Banjo-Kazooie (#30)
10. F-Zero GX (#27)
Only Pokémon Platinum didn't make it to Top 50. Was pleasantly surprised to see F-Zero GX get so high on the list.

Games that made it to Top 50, but I haven't played:
2. Super Metroid
Working my way towards this. Only really got to 2D Metroids last year. Will play this some time after finishing AM2R.

28. Kid Icarus Uprising
I've wanted to play this for a long time, but just haven't gotten around to it. I remember hearing a lot of complaints about the controls when it was new, but I've had no issues with many other games that have gotten negative feedback for their controls, like Star Fox Zero.

32. Pikmin 3
Eh, Pikmin 1 never really grabbed me, so I have little interest in this one.

38. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
Saying that I've never played this isn't entirely true, but I've only played so little of it that I figured I should mention it here. I'm still going to give a fair shake in on point in time, because it's the only major Zelda title I've neglected.

41. Animal Crossing
Played Wild World, and I did like it, but I can't see this game being much different from it. Probably not going back for this.

47. Metroid Prime 2
Was not big on Metroid Prime (it was just OK), never finished it, never had a reason to play the sequels.

48. Super Mario Kart
Only Mario Kart besides 7 that I've missed. I have played the stages in Super Circuit, but I'm sure playing them on a small GBA screen makes the experience worse. So that a "Maybe" for if I ever wanna play this game. 2D racing games in general haven't really been my cup of tea.

Games that made it to Top 100, and I haven't played:
51. Fire Emblem (GBA)
I've played a few FE games, but I'm not really a big fan. I don't see myself ever playing this.

54. Warioware Inc. Mega Microgames!
Wario Ware games are great. Might play this in the future.

58. Animal Crossing New Leaf
Wild World was still extinguishing my thirst for Animal Crossing when this came out, and I don't think I had a 3DS back then. I'll likely skip this but will probably play the next one.

59. Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn
Never finished Path of Radiance, so why play the sequel?

63. Pikmin 2
Read what I said about Pikmin 3.

67. Metroid Fusion
Like with Super Metroid, I'm working my way here.

68. Fire Emblem Fates
I liked the addition of Casual Mode in Awakening (yeah, burn me at the stake), so I'm more tempted to play this over any other Fire Emblem game, but I'm still not a big Fire Emblem guy, so I'll likely not play this.

76. Metroid Prime 3 Corruption
Read what I said about Prime 2.

77. Advance Wars Dual Strike
Advance Wars 1 & 2 were great. This game is definitely on my radar.

82. Punch-Out!! (Wii)
I really liked Punch-Out!! on the NES. I will play this.

83. Elite Beat Agents
Seems like a fun rhythm game. I'm not that big on games like this, but I might play it.

87. Tetris Attack
While I haven't played this SNES game, I have played games like it and I've liked them, but I don't see myself ever going back to play this game in particular.

91. Wii Sports Resort
I've heard pretty good things, but I'm just not interested in it. I'm sure it improves on Wii Sports thanks to the Motion Plus, though.

92. Picross 3D
I do like Picross, but... Is there something special about this version? Seeing it two places higher than Bowser's Inside Story is surprising to say the least.

98. Star Fox
It's 50/50 whether or not I'll ever play this. I really like Star Fox 64, so I'm interested in seeing where it started, but I mean, I'll probably never get tired of SF64, and it's a remake of this one, so I'm unsure about it.

Anyway, GAF made a pretty decent list. I have some pretty major disagreements with the games at the very top, and with some games that only got few votes, but that was to be expected.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Regarding Picross 3D, yes, there is something special, because you are building 3D objects using similar rules to standard Picross. It actually plays notably different and is a great concept. If you do not like Fire Emblem, the (western) original and Radiant Dawn are probably not really good picks for you, though, if you like the addition of casual mode, then 12 (Japan-exclusive), 13 (Awakening, you know it) and 14 (Fates) all offer this and could be to your liking. Fates in particular offers quite a few new strategic situations that can be interesting, due to enemy-pair-up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Regarding Picross 3D, yes, there is something special, because you are building 3D objects using similar rules to standard Picross. It actually plays notably different and is a great concept.

Yep. If Picross is solving a number puzzle to draw a picture, Picross 3D is solving a number puzzle to chisel out a sculpture.

BDGAME

Cool results at the end. You really made a amazing thread.

I played most of these games and they are truly great gems. Now I will try to play the games on that list that I never played before.

Is Polarium Advance sufficiently different from the DS one? That one I have played a lot and liked it a lot as well, but I assumed the GBA one would probably just be a port.
Polarium Advance is pretty much all new, even the gameplay is evolved. It's by far the better game.

Polarium (DS)
+ challenge/endless mode
+ puzzle mode
+ 100 puzzles
+ versus mode
+ download play
+ training mode
+ puzzle editor
+ stylus control (quicker but less accurate)

Polarium Advance (GBA)
- no challenge mode (I can live with that)
- no versus mode (shame, but would need GBA link cable)
+ over 365 puzzles (almost 4x the DS game)
+ secondary objective to all puzzles (solve it from selected start and end tiles)
+ more/new block types (these really add a lot)
+ time attack mode
+ training mode
+ puzzle editor
+ one-handed play using d-pad and L button (slower but more accurate; meant to be played during commuting as you hold on with your other hand)
+ unlock extras with Magnetica/Actionloop DS game using a DS-lite console (Europe only?)

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/polarium-advance-review/1900-6163345/

The story goes that Nintendo saw Polarium Advance and asked Mitchell Corp to create a version for DS in a hurry. They did so, and it was released as a DS launch title, and then they had more time to finish off the GBA version.

Bamboo

Polarium Advance is pretty much all new, even the gameplay is evolved. It's by far the better game.
[...]
+ puzzle editor
This. There are even still "official" puzzles on the games' website. These + the build in ones keep you busy for a while. You find them here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/n08/biij/mondai/index.html

The story goes that Nintendo saw Polarium Advance and asked Mitchell Corp to create a version for DS in a hurry. They did so, and it was released as a DS launch title, and then they had more time to finish off the GBA version.
I didn't know, that's super interesting.

beastmode

Has anyone thought of going through, maybe just the top 50, to see how various Nintendo staff rank?

E.g. Shigeru, Koizumi

Edit: Number is # of directing credits in the top ten:

Takashi Tezuka (4)
Yoshiaki Koizumi (4)
Shigeru Miyamoto (3)
Eiji Aonuma (2)
Yoshio Sakamoto (1)
Koichi Hayashida (1)
Mark Pacini (1)

Sorry to necro, but can't believe I missed out.

Zelda II? Really? This game was always considerated the black sheep of the Zelda series, not only because of the frustrating difficulty, but also for derailing completely from the known formula. It's cool now to like Zelda II mostly because difficulty became a fad thanks to the success of the Dark Souls fad, otherwise it wouldn't score that high, as it didn't in the previous poll.

Lol. Lots of people already liked it, including myself. I mean, better that than 15 of the same gen Pokemon games, for one.

And Donkey Kong Country by all rights should have been considered an outlier considering its divergence from the series origin. Speaking of which, Donkey Kong '94 was completely robbed. Bad show.

Pretty much where I'm standing, I enjoy the heck out of my 2D Mario titles and rank most of them highly in the genre but I'm not in the group that considers them untouchable and act like SMW is some untouchable beacon of platforming brilliance.
3D is where Mario reigns.

I disagree. Mario's emphasis towards platforming is catered to much better in 2d as opposed to the more exploration focused 3d, which is why Mario 3 IMO is still untouched, and 3d Land/World split the difference.

Top Bottom