• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's iOS Weekly Challenge: Mr. Ninja

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I think my highest is like 250k. I tell ya, the "okay, just one more game" feeling to this game is the highest I've experienced in a long while.

I 've got Groove Coaster but haven't really played it since I got sucked into this challenge. Doodlejump might be a good one, since I'm sure everyone has that game. And thanks for mentioning Parsec Dash, I just grabbed it. It looks pretty cool!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Trees Of Doom timed mode wouldn't be a bad idea, though I'm not sure if that mode uses checkpoints too

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Problem with Tilt to Live (HD) is that to access GC leaderboards you're forced to go thru the GC app itself, it would be maddening for yours truly ;)

Anyway, I just played Groove Coaster, I don't see why we couldn't use the Normal Highscore leaderboard, I think it'd work pretty well considering the fact that having 16 tracks means not getting bored of the game by day4 of the contest.

Doodle Jump... Aren't you guys sick of that one? Just asking. Wouldn't be better choosing the charming Pac n' Jump then?

Dash Kappei said:
Anyway, I just played Groove Coaster, I don't see why we couldn't use the Normal Highscore leaderboard, I think it'd work pretty well considering the fact that having 16 tracks means not getting bored of the game by day4 of the contest.

Doodle Jump... Aren't you guys sick of that one? Just asking. Wouldn't be better choosing the charming Pac n' Jump then?
There's no weekly leaderboard in Groove Coaster, it's just the combined total of all your highest scores of all time, so it doesn't really work in the weekly challenge format.

Doodle Jump's better for me because I own it and I don't have Pac n' Jump. I'm probably not gonna buy games especially to partake in these challenges and I'm probably not alone, so stuff that's been available for free or that tons of people already have will be most popular I reckon.

Dash Kappei

NeoGAF's Weekly Challenge - Mr Ninja • Day 3

PARTIAL RESULTS:  (record holders listed as Game Center profiles)

7436cb4c.jpg

621f2055.jpg

9ec2c579.jpg

a4580841.jpg

Dash Kappei

Now to find out how the fuck it was possible to have all my GAF's GC friends listed as profiles instead of real names! :O
Seriously, how the hell did I do that?! Anyway, this makes today's leaderboards even more awesome ;)

I swear, if you do a Mad Skills MX challenge before I'm able to get my hands on an iPad, I'm going to lose my mind :)

Well...assuming they add GC support!

Dash Kappei

toythatkills said:
There's no weekly leaderboard in Groove Coaster, it's just the combined total of all your highest scores of all time, so it doesn't really work in the weekly challenge format.

Doodle Jump's better for me because I own it and I don't have Pac n' Jump. I'm probably not gonna buy games especially to partake in these challenges and I'm probably not alone, so stuff that's been available for free or that tons of people already have will be most popular I reckon.
Oh, didn't notice that about GC, bummer, and the reason for picking that one was exactly because 89 people on my
Gaf's friends list own the game.
Obviously, not everyone can own the same games so of course sometime's gonna happen that you're either going to be left out and wait for the next contest or have to buy the game... i don't see why not, as long as the game's cheap (app<$2) and good, we did that with cananbalt and the same was true for Mr. Ninja.
Pac n jump was just an idea, we can scratch that ;)

Dash Kappei said:
Obviously, not everyone can own the same games so of course sometime's gonna happen that you're either going to be left out and wait for the next contest or have to buy the game... i don't see why not, as long as the game's cheap (>$2) and good, we did that with cananbalt and the same was true for Mr. Ninja.
Pac n jump was just an idea, we can scratch that ;)
Oh yeah, I don't mind missing a few weeks! Just saying that free games and the ones that loads of people own already will be the ones that get the most people playing - I'll certainly pick up some $1 stuff if it's stuff I was on the fence over so I can join in, Pac n' Jump just wasn't one of those!

Khanage

Dash Kappei said:
Now to find out how the fuck it was possible to have all my GAF's GC friends listed as profiles instead of real names! :O
Seriously, how the hell did I do that?! Anyway, this makes today's leaderboards even more awesome ;)

I was about to ask the same thing! You must be channelling some strong hoodoo!

meppi

toythatkills said:
Good shout. Also worth looking at:

ORBITAL, Cubed Rally Racer, Bit Pilot and Zookeeper.

My god! I had no idea there was a Zookeeper game on iOS!

Bought Zookeeper DX seconds ago! :D

btw my GC name is meppi64 just as on PSN. ;)

meppi

toythatkills said:
One day I will have you bankrupted via game recommendations =P
I'll just ask to work some overtime then. ;)
They tend to do quite a bit of weekend work as well, but I haven't stooped that low....yet.

Edit: Just looked up those other games as well, and damn me if I'm not gonna buy them as well. lol
But I'll hold off a week or two so that I have something to look forward to when my second 2 week vacation comes up. ;)

Dash Kappei

dynamite Ringo Matsuri said:
And thanks for mentioning Parsec Dash, I just grabbed it. It looks pretty cool!
Yeah, Parsec is really neat (and still free I guess?), I love its space invaders extreme meets arkanoid gameplay mix!

What do you guys know about Bit Trip Blitz? It's a freemium (full unlock for $0.99) and universal but I haven't got it yet since I have bit trip hd (ipad only) already and I'm on 3g atm (download is 40mb iirc). Does the freemium include a full "world" with GC leaderbords?
'cause bit trip beat is fucking amazing.

Gamecocks625 said:
I swear, if you do a Mad Skills MX challenge before I'm able to get my hands on an iPad, I'm going to lose my mind :)

Well...assuming they add GC support!

Ahah, I hear you GC! But to be fair, imo MSMX is better on iPhone, controls are still a bit awkard on iPad! But hey, if they do add game center... ;)

Dash Kappei

Joe Molotov said:
Almost broke 300,000. This game is addictive.

So, we doing Death Smiles next? ;)
Ahah, I'd love doing that but we obviously can't unless we're ok circle jerking the 5 of us I guess :p
To be fair, I wanted to make one for Parsec but my only problem with it is that it might take to much time for a full game trying to set an highscore. People seem to want to play this contests mostly on the loo or at the office ;)

Dash Kappei

BIT.TRIP-BEAT-BLITZ.jpg

Download Bit. Trip Blitz (freemium, universal) on appstore

Seriously, this game is awesome (a cult on wiiware). Full game unlock is $0.99 (you also have another big level pack as iap if you're hooked with it, and the game's worth it but big enough without DLC content). It's a freemium with non-obtrusive ads (which go away with the full game of course), think of it as a demo, it gives a clear-cut idea of the game to see if it's worth your money for the unlock.
You guys let me know if you like it, I'd really love to use it for the contest I think it's perfect for that. I love it so much that I've bought two times (fucking Bamco) since the HD version wasn't universal... I wish the money would have all gone to Gaijin Games because those guys deserve every cent, fabulous work.

mzl.idnksnyw.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.fxuxoozk.320x480-75.jpg

Adam J.

I informed the creator of this game that Mr. Ninja is being featured in our weekly challenge via Twitter. He was pretty happy to hear it.

RC

Banned
This is getting pretty frustrating. I scored well over 300,000 before, but for whatever reason, can't do it this week. Rather then work tommorw, I'll just be playing this. Can't have my fellow gaffers beat me in a game I've had for weeks.

Dash Kappei

Adam J. said:
I informed the creator of this game that Mr. Ninja is being featured in our weekly challenge via Twitter. He was pretty happy to hear it.
Ahah, awesome! You should tell him to fix the weekly/daily leaderboards as well tho :p
If he does that we might even use Mr.aahH!! for a contest next time ;)

Desibasu said:
Rather then work tommorw, I'll just be playing this

LMAO

edit: wait, you sure to be in the contest? What's your GC profile, I'm probably blind but if you did forget just send me a friend request at Dash Kappei GAF.

RC

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
Ahah, awesome! You should tell him to fix the weekly/daily leaderboards as well tho :p
If he does that we might even use Mr.aahH!! for a contest next time ;)

LMAO

edit: wait, you sure to be in the contest? What's your GC profile, I'm probably blind but if you did forget just send me a friend request at Dash Kappei GAF.

Mr. aahh would be awesome. First iOS game I ever bought.

You already added me. My GC name is RC3K.

I really like this game but I always have this feeling that I want to murder someone after playing it. Nothing drives me more crazy then having a perfect run up until the star power or whatever it's called runs out and I miss a single enemy.

Dash Kappei

Gonna grab the screens for new the leaderboards DAY 4 in an hour or so, I see people are playing right now so we might get a new top15

Dash Kappei

Drag Tag SMASH has gone free

Grab it, it could be the right game for the next challenge, props to Majik for making me notice!

Edit: yeah, no. Takes fucking forever to have a go, even my first try was 10 minutes long and at the end I had to suicide 'cause I couldn't take it anymore :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Dash Kappei said:
Drag Tag SMASH has gone free

Grab it, it could be the right game for the next challenge, props to Majik for making me notice!

Edit: yeah, no. Takes fucking forever to have a go, even my first try was 10 minutes long and at the end I had to suicide 'cause I couldn't take it anymore :p

What games are you considering right now? I think Fruit Ninja would be perfect, even if it's an oldie. But that just means more people will be able to participate

snack

Wario64 said:
What games are you considering right now? I think Fruit Ninja would be perfect, even if it's an oldie. But that just means more people will be able to participate
I totally forgot about Fruit Ninja! That game would be awesome for the GAF Weekly Challenge.

Gaspode_T

Fruit Ninja actually had some new things added to it recently, like pomegranate that you have to slash like crazy when it appears

The overall leaderboard is full of scores that are so high I have to think they are cheating (the same can be said for many other iOS games I guess...)

Dash Kappei

Wario64 said:
The problem with Fruit Ninja could be that it has separate SD and HD apps.
Do you guys know if they share the same leaderboards? I dunno how to find out since I only have the Lite HD version.

Anyway, I'll take my current list it down to a short list of names (probably four or five) taking in all the suggestions, and then I'll give you guys a couple of days to vote.

So far the list looks like:

Tiny Wings (distance covered)
Doodle Jump
Flick Kick Football (time attack)
Mr. AaHH!!
Solipskier
Zookeeper DX
Zombie Gunship
Bit. Trip Beat Blitz
Hard Lines (time attack or survival)

Dash Kappei said:
The problem with Fruit Ninja could be that it has separate SD and HD apps.
Do you guys know if they share the same leaderboards? I dunno how to find out since I only have the Lite HD version.

Anyway, I'll take my current list it down to a short list of names (probably four or five) taking in all the suggestions, and then I'll give you guys a couple of days to vote.

So far the list looks like:

Tiny Wings (distance covered)
Doodle Jump
Flick Kick Football (time attack)
Mr. AaHH!!
Solipskier
Zookeeper DX
Zombie Gunship
180º
Bit. Trip Beat Blitz
Hard Lines (time attack or survival)
Fruit Ninja

I don't think any seperate apps can share GC leaderboards.

Here's another suggestion: Sunny Day Sky. Super simple, but fun. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sunny-day-sky/id412796186?mt=8

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Wario64 said:

Honestly, I'd rather have newer games than oldies. Some people have been playing FN for a year. As for more ppl being able to do it, I'm pretty sure most ppl can swing 99 cents forva new game :)

Whelan

Banned
commish said:
Honestly, I'd rather have newer games than oldies. Some people have been playing FN for a year. As for more ppl being able to do it, I'm pretty sure most ppl can swing 99 cents forva new game :)

I agree with this. Much prefer getting hold of a new game then going back to an oldie

balddemon

Banned
Dash, I'm going to add youafter the game installs....I can't remember what my GC name is, but I think its balddemon lol. Just a heads up.

EDIT: jk I dont know how to use Gamecenter - can't figure out where the add friend button is.

EDIT2: oh the gamecenter app...silly me.

numble

The key is those fat aliens. I think they are worth something like (current chain)*100, or increase based on how far you've gotten. Which means its all random, sometimes you encounter only 5, sometimes you get over 10.

Dash Kappei

Ninjagorilla said:
I don't think any seperate apps can share GC leaderboards.

Here's another suggestion: Sunny Day Sky. Super simple, but fun. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sunny-day-sky/id412796186?mt=8
Bummer, I didn't know that. :/
SDS doesn't have Game Center tho.

I think Hard Lines would be pretty damn cool, but are people gonna buy it? Cause I have only 5 out of 180 friends with the game, at the moment.

Doodle Jump
Hard Lines
Bit. Trip Beat Blitz
Tiny Wings

Could be the final list (2 newish and 2 oldie) to choose/vote from, but I'm still taking suggestions
Of course the problem might be that so few have played the two new ones (and thus not knowing how cool those games are) it's going to be a no contest when voting starts :/

Top Bottom