• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix increasing prices again ($11 for 2-device HD streaming)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I don't think it's at all crazy to claim that they don't have the content to back up their prices. Yeah they put out some good OG content, but not everyone is interested in all of that content. Then you have their movies and tv show selection, which when I was last a subscriber, not only was lacking, but was getting weaker and weaker as time went on.

Some good original content? It's honestly shocking how much good original content they are producing. I'm not sure there's any company doing it better right now, tbh.

I don't think it's at all crazy to claim that they don't have the content to back up their prices. Yeah they put out some good OG content, but not everyone is interested in all of that content. Then you have their movies and tv show selection, which when I was last a subscriber, not only was lacking, but was getting weaker and weaker as time went on.

Well that's the thing right? They are a content provider, if you don't like their content then obviously they can't back up their prices.

sfedai0

Banned
This is a race for exclusive and entertaining content that will keep people subscribing. With Disney joining the race, theres really limited room for the services to gain subs. I imagine most will have Netflix paired with Prime, HBO, Hulu, maybe Disney. The rest will have to get the scraps.

leprechaun-.gif

Netflix is putting all that money to creative use and i've enjoyed a ton of their original content so this doesn't bother me.

I have been disappointed that some older stuff has disappeared. Some of that is Netflix, some of that is the content owners. There's quite a bit of stuff I'd love to go back and get a complete series under my belt, but not so much that I need to own full series. Particularly the ones that go 7-8 years, that gets expensive to own.

I think there comes a point where price does become an issue.

TylerD

Netflix is not the only subscription service people are subscribed to. They start to add up.

It's annoying cause I have to change my budget and make more $$$. We can all look forward to a future of compartmentalized content when most every provider has their own service.

My 250 down / 30 up unlimited internet just went from 62 to 78 this month and now I'm in the bottom tier and if you sign up for that tier now you get a 350GB cap. I still have unlimited for now, but i'm going to check with them. It's a 30 jump to 1000 unlimited.

Fuck you Suddenlink

sfedai0

Banned

Thank god we can vote with our wallet. Youre in the minority. The industry has changed massively since Netflix started the streaming wars. There is no one service that will have all the tv shows and movies in one place. Its all about who has the best original content now.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
This is a race for exclusive and entertaining content that will keep people subscribing. With Disney joining the race, theres really limited room for the services to gain subs. I imagine most will have Netflix paired with Prime, HBO, Hulu, maybe Disney. The rest will have to get the scraps.

That's just movie/tv streaming.

Everything is moving to a sub model from MS Office to Spotify to XBL.

At some point consumers are gonna have to start making some choices. $2 in and of itself isn't much, but when you look at median house hold income in the states it's not surprising if people have to pick and choose between all types of services and drop some shit as they can't afford 10 different monthly charges.

Haven't had a Netflix subscription in months. It's getting absurd how much better Crave TV's selection of shows is.

Stranger Things will bring me back temporarily though.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
I wish their movie selection wasn't pure, unadulterated trash. As someone who isn't interested in 95% of their original content, it might be time for this cowpoke to mosey on down the road. Which other streaming service has the best movie selection, it's hard to keep track these days.

AllGamer

I assume this will also come to the rest of the world. I am currently on the 12€ tier with 3 "parasites", maybe I should start charging them 1€ or 2€ each :D

JdFoX187

Banned
No, I think that’s going up to $13.99. That’s the ‘premium’ plan.

I’m torn, $14 is getting into the ‘do I really need this territory’ since I watch Netflix so little. On average I feel like I watch maybe an hour a week of it, might consider unsubbing for a while after I binge Stranger Things.

**And I have regular cable w/ DVR so it’s not like I’m a cord cutter, vast majority of my TV watching is through traditional means, so it’s really just like adding $14 to my cable bill at this point.

I'm in the same boat. I might just unsubscribe for a bit, even though half of our extended family uses the service on our account. But they're a bunch of racist Trump supporters, so I might just say fuck em.

NeonBlack

I guess this is where I take my leave. I don't watch Netflix enough to stay a recurring customer. Unless they allow us to keep the old price for a few months like last time.

I'm not outraged, I'm mad that a service is continually raising their prices while offering less. They're so busy trying to compete with the big boys of HBO and Showtime that they are forgetting why people subscribed to them in the first place.

Their subscriber numbers keep going up. They're clearly doing something right.

Damn, thats $2 extra since I'm on the Premium plan. $24 extra a year. I'm still on board but they're starting to push it TBH.

inner-G

Banned
Their originals suck and they haven’t been getting as good of older shows lately either, I may just unsubscribe

Are you really that venomous over $1-$2?

It's not just $2. They keep raising it. When I first subbed about 10 years ago and have been subbed since it was like $8. Now it is going to be $14. At some point you have to consider if it is worth it. I RARELY use it and just left it because it was a drop in the bucket. It is starting to become a splash in the bucket at the rate they are increasing prices.

It's not just $2. They keep raising it. When I first subbed about 10 years ago and have been subbed since it was like $8. Now it is going to be $14. At some point you have to consider if it is worth it. I RARELY use it and just left it because it was a drop in the bucket. It is starting to become a splash in the bucket at the rate they are increasing prices.

If you rarely use it why are you on the premium plan? At least scale it back to lower pricing options.

Metalmarc

Gotta charge you more for all the disney stuff they will be losing, Marvel, star wars, pixar etc.

Makes sense err...

A 6 dollar increase over the course of 8 years isn’t that bad

Downgrade to the standard plan, save a dollar a month with the new prices.

Sent

If you don't use it then of course you should cancel. Producing content and pushing 4K down the wire will cause the price to increase (among other things).

If you rarely use it why are you on the premium plan? At least scale it back to lower pricing options.

I had it on the premium plan for the times when people in the house did use it and didn't have to hit the screen limit. I think at most the kids use it for their shows but the last time I watched a show on it was Stranger Things and Luke Cage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Can we juxtapose all of the it's only $1 to $2 to the threads we have on GAF about wage stagnation, median US house hold income, and the fact that like 70% of Americans live pay check to pay check?

br3wnor

It’s the only way to get 4K, I wish there was a 4K option that was single screen and cheaper, I don’t use any other ‘premium’ feature beyond the 4K.

pa22word

Yeah I'm done. The rating system makes it impossible to find anything worth watching and non og content seems to disappear by the truckloads each month. Their og content is good, but not worth a persistent sub.

Can we juxtapose all of the it's only $1 to $2 to the threads we have on GAF about wage stagnation, median US house hold income, and the fact that like 70% of Americans live pay check to pay check?

If you can't afford it you can't afford it. If you are living paycheck to paycheck I would recommend unsubbing immediately.

It's the only way to get 4K, I wish there was a 4K option that was single screen and cheaper, I don't use any other ‘premium' feature beyond the 4K.

Is there enough content to even justify it yet?

NeonBlack

Or the fact that if games went to $62 we'd all lose our collective shits.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The lowest tier is not increasing.

JJH

Will probably cancel once the Disney content is gone. Their original content hasn't impressed me outside a couple of shows.

Top Bottom