• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix increasing prices again ($11 for 2-device HD streaming)

They don't for you? I haven't been able to have more than 2 simul for years. Instantly get a message saying someone else is on if I exceed.

I guess looking at the actual limits in the OT, our sub gets four streams at a time, not two. So, yeah, odds are we are never all actually using it at the same time.

People will complain, but I think it is the correct move to make. Especially after that thread a few months back about Netflix's debt numbers.

I'm in with their current rate of content up to $15 then depending on the non-original roster that's when we may take a break. But for now it seems ok. Still would hope they keep most TV shows like TWD, Bates Motel and Portlandia.

Not shocked. Glad I cancelled a while ago.

Also makes the posts from yesterday regarding Disney's service and swearing at least Netflix would stay a good alternative and not keep raising prices while ditching content extra hilarious. I mean they already were hilarious, but still

kaskade

I love how my immediate reaction is an oh what the fuck, then I realize what I’m getting for the money and an extra 2 bucks a month won’t kill me.

I’m not a huge fan of them charging extra for 4k though. I guess it does offset the bandwidth though. I just switched to the 4k plan so I’m waiting to see how it impacts my data usage for the month. If I start getting too close to the cap I might have to revert back.

Nipo

I love how my immediate reaction is an oh what the fuck, then I realize what I’m getting for the money and an extra 2 bucks a month won’t kill me.

I’m not a huge fan of them charging extra for 4k though. I guess it does offset the bandwidth though. I just switched to the 4k plan so I’m waiting to see how it impacts my data usage for the month. If I start getting too close to the cap I might have to revert back.

My data usage went up around 200 GB a month when i switched to 4k. That includes Vudu, netflix and everything thouhg.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Don't mind a 1$ increase, there's plenty of stuff I haven't watched yet. And by only watching 1-2 episodes a day, I feel like I'll never run out of TV shows to watch.
Still better than paying 40$ a month for cable TV.

B-Dex

Remember going to the video store and renting a movie cost 5$? Or how about renting an HD movie now on demand or from PSN or iTunes? 7-8$.

11$ a month for whatever whenever is still a great value proposition.

TylerD

It's not just about Netflix raising sub prices. It's about all these, I'll call them "quality of life" services that while not necessities could definitely make people that don't have a lot or are in shitty situations enjoy their lives a bit more or help out with babysitting kids while the parent or parents are at work. I sure as shit would rather my kids watch Netflix children's programming than YouTube in that situation.

In my opinion, a cell phone with internet access and/or broadband internet are pretty close to becoming necessities if you want to be successful in this world. All these services that piggyback on top of them going up in price hurt others much more than yourself.

Davey Cakes

It'd still probably be worth it at $15 for two devices. I've had a slight uptick in my Netflix viewing recently.

I still wish the movie selection was better but with shows like Ozark, Travelers, Black Mirror, and others it's kind of hard to consider giving the service up.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Shudder really needs to get a PS4 app. Was planning on only subbing to Netflix when new season of Marvel shows or GLOW anyway. So, the price increase will only effect me for a few months a year. But, I do love watching random & ridiculous horror flicks hidden deep in in the catalog. So, Shudder, come on, get that PS4 support.

Just be sure to support Shudder until that point. Second it's PS4 just choose that option.

G-Bus

Banned
Always love seeing people lose their shit over these small increases in sub fees for Netflix. It's insanely good value when you compare it to a cable subscription.

If your subbed to a few of these streaming services I guess I can see people getting put off a bit when price goes up.

emalord

My mother: how can you spend 10€ per month on a thing like this?
Me: it's for 2 users, it's 5€ per month per person

You sacrifice 1 single quality dinner A YEAR and you get a very good streaming service

1-2€ extra, it's STILL 1 single quality dinner A YEAR to renounce to

People will complain, but I think it is the correct move to make. Especially after that thread a few months back about Netflix's debt numbers.

That wasn't actual debt, though. The bulk of it was just contracted terms for future goods sold. It was such a stupid article.

But yes, this is a good move, provided enough people maintain their subscriptions such that it increases revenue.

Decado

Haven't had a Netflix subscription in months. It's getting absurd how much better Crave TV's selection of shows is.

Stranger Things will bring me back temporarily though.
I like CraveTV, but really it's strength is its older catelog shows. Get past that and not much new comes out on it.

conpfreak

I'll start complaining at $14.99 for the standard plan. Have a 4K tv and streaming 4k isn't worth the extra bucks to me.

HvySky

I honestly thought this was what it was already.

Edit: I'm an idiot. The new price is still worth it for all the stuff I watch (at 4k, no less).

Ultryx

Lmao at people bitching about the increase. Netflix is hemorrhaging money and have been pumping out original titles. I have zero problem with it. I don't even watch TV any more other than through Netflix.

SeanC

Haha...I'm canceling just in time because my girlfriend has Netflix already.

Take that you multi-billion dollar company!

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
This is still a mind blowing value proposition if you grew up getting stuff at Blockbuster.

Gotta pay for that brand new Campus they built... Seriously considering the value of Netflix content it's not much. But added together with other services and I start to see the value in pausing my membership for months. While building up a bingeable amount of content to get my moneys worth. I helped test out their streaming service before it was public years ago and while they've made some mistakes it still has been the best overall streaming service.

It is odd that the lowest tier is staying the same when you'd expect the cost of content they are getting is on the rise. Makes me feel like the mid and high tier folks are paying their cost.

VAD

I just binged American Vandal on glorious 4K. They can increase to 20$ if they want, I’m not feeling robbed.

Var

Shudder really needs to get a PS4 app. Was planning on only subbing to Netflix when new season of Marvel shows or GLOW anyway. So, the price increase will only effect me for a few months a year. But, I do love watching random & ridiculous horror flicks hidden deep in in the catalog. So, Shudder, come on, get that PS4 support.

I know its not really the same as a dedicated Shudder app on PS4, but I think you can add Shudder to your amazon prime as a premium channel for 5 dollars a month and watch it on your PS4 that way.

Nipo

Are they though? Their entire marketing campaign is ”Netflix on us", so it'd be hilarious if they made people pay that extra dollar.

Tmobile doesn't cover the 4k plan i was told. Is that wrong? It was just $9.99 a mmonth and you'd pay the extra.

Allforce

At this point there has to be around 8 or 9 households using my account so I will have to just eat the cost increase on my Premium plan.

I can't bear to let all of those people down.

Top Bottom