• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix increasing prices again ($11 for 2-device HD streaming)

sfedai0

Banned
Can we juxtapose all of the it's only $1 to $2 to the threads we have on GAF about wage stagnation, median US house hold income, and the fact that like 70% of Americans live pay check to pay check?

Youre pretty naive if you think that most of us arent aware that Netflix is frivolous and not a necessity.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I like having 4 streams at once, but their 4K offering isn't that great. I'll probably just deal with 2 streams and drop back to the standard plan.

I'll watch Stranger Things in 4K first then bail to the other plan.

They personally have me for now until 20. That's where I'd cut the brakes unless some major upgrades happened.

They are stuck with people freaking out though, the 7.99 or even 9.99 sweet point is such a strong number to push past for low income. Plus that number spoiled people and wasn't realistic, but its too late, and the mindset is created. So people will whine that their service that offers thousands of series of shows and thousands of movies instantly streamable to dozens of devices for $1 or 2 more is an outrage because Netflix told them it was worth only 7.99 out the gate.

If you wanna blame anyone, blame license holders.

Can we juxtapose all of the it's only $1 to $2 to the threads we have on GAF about wage stagnation, median US house hold income, and the fact that like 70% of Americans live pay check to pay check?

Netflix even at $15 a month is an incredibly economical entertainment expense for a month, for 4 screens. You're talking about a service that can provide thousands of hours of entertainment, for 4 simultaneous users, for an entire month, being cheaper than a single person going to the movies and buying a ticket + snacks for a 2 hour show. I wold argue that people in those situations should start cutting out more traditonal means of entertainment and stick solely TO souces like Netflix/Hulu for their daily entertainment, instead of thinking of cutting it.

People will laugh, but that's enough of a price hike to make it not worth it to me. I just don't watch netflix that much anymore and they haven't even renewed one of the few shows that I would be interested in (MST3K) yet. I also know people will laugh because I pay for youtube red, but I watch a ton more youtube than netflix and I like that Youtube pays the people I watch more for me being a red subscriber (I also like that model more than Twitch's subscribe to individual channels since that gets pricey fast, and BITS are just a straight up scam).

Lmao they don’t even give you HD content at the $7.99 tier? The hell is that

Also yeah, it’s only a few bucks. But everyone has their tipping point where they evaluate if it’s worth it anymore. Pushing it over $10 could be that barrier for many.

Sapiens

I’m not convinced it’s justified. Most of this surge of new Netflix produced content is mediocre and the selection of existing films and tv is generally unexciting as well.

Sure, if you can make a case that Netflix is forcing you to keep their service and is causing you difficulties in making ends meet.

Was looking at cutting either Hulu or Netflix to save some money. Now that Netflix is the same price as ad free Hulu it's actually a hard choice. I love Netflix originals but ad free current TV and some of the better older shows is hard to pass up.

rjinaz

Will probably cancel once the Disney content is gone. Their original content hasn't impressed me outside a couple of shows.

Yeah it seems like a weird time for a price hike. Losing Disney should free up a lot of cash and it's also leaving a big hole in the service.

I'm not happy about $14. I was happy with $12.

mjc

That's quite a leap you've made there. I can see where you're coming from, but the $1 increase here is comparable to what...like one shitty coffee from McDonald's a month?

Aces&Eights

leprechaun-.gif

Netflix is putting all that money to creative use and i've enjoyed a ton of their original content so this doesn't bother me.

This. If I get more things like Stranger Things and Ozarks, then I will happily pay an extra couple bucks.

Zyae

Is this the twilightzone. If you cant afford netflix you have a lot more pressing financial issues elsewhere.

Rootbeer

Banned
It sucks to see the price creep up so much in a short period of time. I don't think 10.99 is out of line but if they keep this up it's going to feel that way very soon.

Netflix felt like a bargain for many years. It still is, even with this increase... but it might be pushing it at 13.99 and up. Especially when there is so much pressure on people to subscribe to MULTIPLE streaming options these days.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I love it when Netflix raises prices because the number of people flipping out over $1-2 is hilarious. My Facebook feed is just an endless stream of bitching posts every single time.

Hilary should have ran on an entire platform of “Trump will increase your Netflix subscriber fees”

I’m not convinced it’s justified. Most of this surge of new Netflix produced content is mediocre and the selection of existing films and tv is generally unexciting as well.

If this was the first post and not what we got, this thread might be a lot different.

I think they have me until $15. I put $5 of the T-Mobile savings toward a YT Red sub, which I use a thousand percent more. Once I start losing money again on the deal, I think I'll bail. Unless they can grab more content I'm interested in.

Directv Now, Hulu, Netflix, YT Red, CBS AA...it really does start to add up.

Think I might upgrade to Premium and split the bill with a family member who also has the standard plan. Seems like the way to go.

Rival

Gold Member
Any additional increases in pricing may make me reconsider the 4K tier. Half of the time I’m watching on a 1080 tv anyways.

barit

I kinda like their content. The Expanse caught me by surprise. Just like Stranger Things. So I think it´s still worth.

I went all this time without a subscription and the month after I sign up, boom price increase.

I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to keep the 4K plan. I only have 1 screen that can do 4k and I haven't been blown away by it. Also I'm only one person so I don't need 4 concurrent screens.

I love it when Netflix raises prices because the number of people flipping out over $1-2 is hilarious. My Facebook feed is just an endless stream of bitching posts every single time.

Hilary should have ran on an entire platform of “Trump will increase your Netflix subscriber fees”

Again this is a case of even more progressive people still being very fiscally conservative in America. Netflix didn't help its case by setting a lower-than-reality standard, but even a few extra dollars will have people howling. It's why it'll take ages to see things like Universal Healthcare, Basic Income or Higher Education become a reality, because even small bumps in taxes are suicidal here.

Neogaf is no different.

I'm not gonna judge or bemoan those that find the increase $1 too much for them.

But at the same time, the reason why you always find defenders of these minor increases it's because we all have our threshold for what Netflix is worth to them. I share my Netflix account with my girlfriend and she shares her Sling and Hulu accounts with me. Between the two of us, each of those services would probably have to go up 40% of their current prices before we'd start to consider dropping them in favor of a more comprehensive or traditional TV plan.

$11 to me is worth it for Netflix even as someone who doesn't use it all the time. $12 would be worth it to me. Same with $14 or $15. At $16 then I'd probably seriously consider dropping it.

So, kindly save your frustrations with subscribers like me who enjoy their plan and will defend it at $11. And then save those frustrations again when it eventually rises to $12 or $13. I'm not going to tell people how they should value Netflix and it's just as tedious for people to complain about those who have no issue with these minor price increases.

The reason I won't lose my shit over a $2 Netflix increase, but would be more upset over $62 games is because I'm already someone who doesn't find most games to be worth $60. I'm already someone who can and does wait for deep sales on games before buying them. So, adding $2 on top of a price I already don't care for is more unappealing to me than $2 on a price I still think is a great value.

oneHeero

I've gotten sucked into the content Netflix has provided a ton lately. Some quality stuff in the Ozarks, Big Mouth, the hunger games type movie about 7 sisters, etc. Once you venture off into that field the different movies and shows just start popping up, stuff I hadn't seen.

Was on the verge of cancelling anyway due to not enough content for my taste

Nails it

Next month though - got surgery and need some content while I'm laid up in bed!

Even if Netflix was my only source of entertainment, there's absolutely no way I could ever watch everything they provide on there. Complainers are an absolute joke.

I'm always surprised when people just take the price increase at the month level like that.

Like I see this and immediately think a $24 yearly hike ($143.88 a year -> $167.88 a year as I'm on premium)

I'm probably going to be fine with this as I split that premium account with family and end up paying about a third or a fourth of it a year which is much better, kind of like how Amazon Prime used to be.

But with subscriptions like Amazon Prime, PSN, Costco whatever I always think in yearly terms if I know I'm going to be using it the whole year.

Do people on here sub and unsub by month then if they're thinking a monthly cost?

I'm always surprised when people just take the price increase at the month level like that.

Like I see this and immediately think a $24 yearly hike ($143.88 a year -> $167.88 a year as I'm on premium)

I'm probably going to be fine with this as I split that premium account with family and end up paying about a third or a fourth of it a year which is much better, kind of like how Amazon Prime used to be.

But with subscriptions like Amazon Prime, PSN, Costco whatever I always think in yearly terms if I know I'm going to be using it the whole year.

Do people on here sub and unsub by month then if they're thinking a monthly cost?
A lot of people just sub for the new episodes of a show. Like HBO and GoT.

I only sub once or twice a year. If you delete your account and resubscribe you can get another free month. The e.mail even read "welcome back" to Netflix despite stating I won't be charged until after Stranger Things is out.

Back when it was cheaper I would keep the sub active for longer. Now I'm just in and out fast as possible.

Clockwork5

Yeah this is why I cancelled long ago. This price increase further justifies my decision.

Even if Netflix was my only source of entertainment, there's absolutely no way I could ever watch everything they provide on there. Complainers are an absolute joke.

The last time I browsed on my friends Netflix I honestly couldn't find something I wanted to watch.

Worth it, I was worried about the first batch of Netflix Originals but between Stranger Things and Le Sean Thomas Canon Busters anime. I don't mind supporting the stuff conventional networks wouldn't green light.

AndyVirus

I originally subscribed for established content with the occasional "hey I'll try their original shows but I'm not bothered". That they're moving more and more towards the latter and losing things such as Disney makes me question whether I want to keep my sub. The price hikes certainly aren't helping..

Top Bottom