• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix increasing prices again ($11 for 2-device HD streaming)

TheCrackInTime

Neo Member
Price is rising in the UK too, though not by much.

Basic: £5.99 (no change)
Standard: £7.99 (£0.50 change)
Premium: £9.99 (£1.00 change)

Still worth it IMO.

Ivan 3414

Yeah, there are other services with better value. Netflix will be alright though considering they apparently have a price hike defense force

It's one thing to be okay with the price hike but the shouting down dissent on the first few pages is pretty ridiculous

Yeah, there are other services with better value. Netflix will be alright though considering they apparently have a price hike defense force

It's one thing to be okay with the price hike but the shouting down dissent on the first few pages is pretty ridiculous
They've been producing new and new shows, getting more Anime to their side, a couple of original films, and brought 4k streaming. A big portion of their shows arent 1 off either they get multiple seasons.

How do you want them to keep funding this while you keep paying the same you have?

Enco

Thats my whole problem with this. Its not the 1$, its the fact that they do this whenever they want and we just have to take it? Whats to stop them from doing this every year for the next 10 years? Or twice a year?

At one point it get a little ridiculous.
lol it's a luxury service.

if you don't like it you can cancel any time.

things get more expensive with time. Unless they triple the price over night I don't understand the complaints.

JC Lately

The $1 increase is whatever, but why the short notice? And why am I getting notified on a video game forum instead of directly from the company I'm paying?

KorrZ

Doesn't bother me. Netflix has continued to produce quality shows. I always have something to watch on it even if I don't always take the time to use it as much as I could.

If anything I worry that Netflix will realize just how good of a deal their service is. They could easily get away with charging $20/month for it and it would still be good value.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Thats my whole problem with this. Its not the 1$, its the fact that they do this whenever they want and we just have to take it? Whats to stop them from doing this every year for the next 10 years? Or twice a year?

At one point it get a little ridiculous.

Yeah, I agree. Netflix should gather all the users together and ask them if it is ok with them to raise the price.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I can't deal with the outrage in here. I am sure you all complain about your $5 frappes, your $7 burgers and your $10 beer as well. But oh no, something increasing in price you use daily is just the worst!!! And omg it's still cheaper than all the other crap you buy during the month!

The $1 increase is whatever, but why the short notice? And why am I getting notified on a video game forum instead of directly from the company I'm paying?

I'm sure they'll be notifying you. It's a monthly/non-contractual service, they are under no obligation to honor that price for more than the next billing cycle. Just like you can cancel at a minutes notice.

iKhameleon

Neo Member
It sucks when the prices of things go up, but being completely honest the quantity and quality of content was always a hell of a value. At $1 more it still is. When you think about all the original stuff they're producing and the cost of licensing everything else, it's a pretty sweet deal!

Fisty

Hmmm... didnt know there was tiers. I've had a sub since 2011 and haven't changed it at all. What is my tier?

Wanderer5

I am sticking with basic plan when I get back to this service later this month for Stranger Things 2, so yay no price raise there for now (not that a $1 raise is that big of a deal anyway through).

Stanng243

I was thinking about resubbing to the 8$ tier, but if that doesn't even get HD, It's simply not worth it. I've never been too enamored of their original content. I may resub for a month when the Punisher comes out, but nothing seems to be worth it right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Nobody is even close to touching Netflix in output, archived content, and investment in weird projects. It's crazy. Documentaries alone make it worthwhile.

This is going to keep happening because the value is already so much of a steal.

CREMSteve

Again? What justification can they have for constantly raising the rates like this? I understand they’re not huge increases, but this is like the third or fourth time in 2 years.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Again? What justification can they have for constantly raising the rates like this? I understand they’re not huge increases, but this is like the third or fourth time in 2 years.

the costs of running a business and creating their own content as well as licensing others

Reallink

They've been producing new and new shows, getting more Anime to their side, a couple of original films, and brought 4k streaming. A big portion of their shows arent 1 off either they get multiple seasons.

How do you want them to keep funding this while you keep paying the same you have?

They dropped like 70-80% of their film and TV series catalog to fund that stuff. I logged on for the first time in like a year, and my Watch list that used to take 5 minutes to scroll through has reduced to a point it doesn't even fill the whole screen on the Windows app. That is an absolutely astonishing reduction of content

scamander

Banned

Still worth it IMO.

Wait, what? This is ridiculous. The new UK Premium price is about as much as the new Standard price in Euro-countries. I guess Netflix should check a currency converter for once.

Lmao come on. It's one dollar.

Well, it's "only" one dollar every time they increase the price. If you look at the aggregate it's actually gone up by quite a bit. And that dollar is per every single month. Stuff adds up, even if Netflix is still relatively cheap compared to, say, cable.

AGITΩ

Going up 2 more dollars for the 4k stuff? Ugh. Doesnt help that everyone and their moms now have their own streaming services. Might as well just pay for cable at this point.

Ash735

Losing Disney, Marvel, etc, lost a lot of content in the UK, and wasting money on trash like Big Mouth, I'm starting to question if Netflix is worth it anymore. Considering Bojack has finished for the year, so has Rick & Morty, there's just Stranger Things left for me.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
I guess I'll ask here - I'm seriously considering subbing to NetFlix, but my google skills must be terrible - how do I find out what NetFlix's library is?

Reallink

AGITΩ;251041163 said:
Going up 2 more dollars for the 4k stuff? Ugh. Doesnt help that everyone and their moms now have their own streaming services. Might as well just pay for cable at this point.

The Internet Cable services (Vue, Sling, Etc...) are actually cheaper than trying to chase the here-today-gone-tommorow content across all the streaming platforms popping up. Think most of them include DVR now as well.

Netflix will be fine short term. The real showdown looms in 2019. With Disney removing all content by 2019, and now Fox too. I expect the trend to continue with NBC, and ABC. NETFLIX WILL have to find big hits like Stranger Things, House of Cards, and Orange is the New Black asap. Netflix will have to reign in spending and give shows a shorter leash. We should start seeing a lot of cancelations in 2018 on Netflix as they transition now into a HBO some model. If Netflix doesn't have more BIG hits by then, they won't be able to justify the monthly price.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You guys don't know how good you have it. Here in Sweden the three tiers already cost the equivalent of:

$11
$13.50
$17

And it really annoys me that they bundle number of devices with quality. I need/want 4K streaming, but I don't give a shit about being able to watch on 4 different devices simultaneously. Make these different options so people can mix and match what they need. I just want 4K on a single device, which should be cheaper than 4 devices.

(I still find Netflix to absolutely be worth it, but yeah, this little scheme they're running bugs me.)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I upgraded to the 4K option when I got a new TV. But honestly I watch mostly on my iPad so I could probably downgrade to save money

holygeesus

Banned

Still worth it IMO.

Yeah I can live with that. Will reconsider when it goes over £10 especially when I can get Amazon Prime, including all the other perks for what £7 a month?

With Disney content gone and BoJack Horseman not coming back for a while, this might be a good time to take a Netflix break. Other than Black Mirror, there isn't much going for Netflix at this point.

FiggyCal

Banned
The extra dollars really add up, especially since i'm already paying for other subscriptions as well. I'm pretty unhappy with Netflix's offers recently also. Their movie selection has gone downhill in favor of some pretty mediocre original shows (and a few good ones too).

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
2015:
It's only a $2 increase. No problem.

2017:

2019:

the costs of running a business and creating their own content as well as licensing others

Yeah that's the main reason I cancelled a while back. I had no real interest in watching most of their original content so I went ahead and cancelled. Amazon Prime has been pretty good to me so far with plenty of stuff to watch.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The extra dollars really add up, especially since i'm already paying for other subscriptions as well. I'm pretty unhappy with Netflix's offers recently also. Their movie selection has gone downhill in favor of some pretty mediocre original shows (and a few good ones too).

Welcome to how Netflix has always been in Sweden (although I'm sure it's still a lot better in the US). Here their movie selection has always been shit, so the overall quality of their offering has gone UP for us since all the original shows started happening.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
2015:

2017:

2019:
Netflix continues to produce an increasing amount of original content I find valuable. If you do not think their content is worth the increasing price they charge for it you can stop subscribing today

The first thing I thought was 'Star Trek Discovery alone is worth that increase at the moment', then I saw the $ sign and remembered that it's not on Netflix in the US and how absolutely hilarious that is

Reallink

also...you can unsubscribe during the months you feel like there is nothing for you to watch

Ironically, these price hikes are quickly going to have the opposite effect they're hoping for. Their streaming business model has largely been based on being so cheap that people aren't going to bother subbing and unsubbing, they'll just let it run in perpetuity. The more expensive it gets, they're going to have exponentially more people buying a month, bingeing everything, and canceling for 6 months.

People only saying "it's only $2!!" need to consider their budgeting better. That's another $24 a year that you could have saved towards something else or put in your emergency funds.

Top Bottom