• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

Yrael

I used to own a TN-screened new 3DS XL as well. To be honest it didn't really have significantly worse 3D than the IPS version (the latter being just fractionally better. I don't know how much of that is down to variation between individual units).

Not true. Rich's non-XL 3DS didn't look like it has a TN panel. Unfortunately, most of the photos in his post are gone because pomf.se shut down. It should be noted that he imported his from Australia, so he's got one of the very earliest units.

His is an XL unit.

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate it. Yrael, those pictures are actually very helpful to have, just as another source for comparison.

I'm still on the hunt; the guy ended up sending me another photo, taken at more of an angle, and it was clearly a TN.

I've got another person who is going to snap some photos on a different XL. He says he believes it to be an IPS, so I might follow up for second opinions, if you all would be so kind.

Nintendo is just poking my OCD with a stick at this point.

No worries, glad it was useful. Hope you can get the type you're looking for!

Converse

Banned
No worries, glad it was useful. Hope you can get the type you're looking for!

Thanks. After about a week of dealing with Craigslist flakes, getting a handful of very low-quality pictures, and messaging about half a dozen eBay sellers, I finally broke down and just bought a sealed n3DS XL from eBay. It was only $185 shipped (more than $30 cheaper than what it'd be in the store, after tax). I figure the cheaper price will reduce the sting if it ends up being TN, but my fingers are crossed; more likely to be from older stock, and we know at least some of those have IPS panels, whereas I haven't heard much in the way of new information.

None too pleased with Nintendo at the moment, but hey, a new handheld coming in the mail is exciting regardless. I'm remaining optimistic.

hongcha

In case it is helpful for anyone, my Japanese pearl white new 3DS LL (just released in Japan on June 11th) has an IPS top screen.

Kawika

Thanks. After about a week of dealing with Craigslist flakes, getting a handful of very low-quality pictures, and messaging about half a dozen eBay sellers, I finally broke down and just bought a sealed n3DS XL from eBay. It was only $185 shipped (more than $30 cheaper than what it'd be in the store, after tax). I figure the cheaper price will reduce the sting if it ends up being TN, but my fingers are crossed; more likely to be from older stock, and we know at least some of those have IPS panels, whereas I haven't heard much in the way of new information.

None too pleased with Nintendo at the moment, but hey, a new handheld coming in the mail is exciting regardless. I'm remaining optimistic.

I bought the New 3DS (in the US) at launch and I went through 5 units. Luckily i got them at a Store that would allow me to return them. Inventory was scarce so I was really worried about not being able to get one. I can't believe how many different looking screens they had. I had 3 lined up side-by-side just to find one that I liked. I also had major warping issue on the lower screen which got me to return the original unit.

I wish you luck. I got a unit that I was happy about in the end.

His is an XL unit.

I distinctly remember him posting pictures of a white unit with SNES-style face buttons.

Anyway, I got a replacement non-XL unit the other day (long story, but Nintendo Service done fucked up my old one). TN panel also - but it's a decent one.

Converse

Banned
I wish you luck. I got a unit that I was happy about in the end.

Thanks. My n3DS XL came in the mail today. I won't have the time to do my full transfer/setup until after the weekend, but I booted it up and did some comparisons with an original-model 3DS (the only other 3DS I have on hand). The viewing angles are significantly better on the New XL -- it's not even close. Comparing identical angles, the OG's top screen was clearly washed out while the NXL's wasn't. I won't know for sure for until I get everything set, but I'm thinking I lucked out and got an IPS.

Related, what sort of display did the original 3DS have? Was it a TN?

Converse

Banned
Excuse the double post, just stoked to report that I did manage to nab an IPS New XL. I feel like after not getting the regular New 3DS stateside, the amiibo supply situation, an awful E3 and Devil's Third, the Nintendo gods were like, "hey, throw this kid a bone so he keeps buying our shit for another 30 years."

That aside, the eBay seller I purchased from keeps updating with new units, which makes me think that my device came from new stock. This is highly anecdotal, but based on the handful of Gaffers and Redditors getting IPS screens on recent purchases, the IPS model might be more common nowadays. Maybe the TN was used initially to boost production numbers, as speculated? Again, highly anecdotal speculation here.

Finally, I just wanted to note that the display looks great. I've held on to my original 3DS until now (and there are things about it that I still love), mostly because I was worried about the pixel density on the XL. If you happen to be in the same boat as me (and can ensure you get an IPS panel), I'd say don't hesitate; the pixel density hasn't bothered me a bit, and every other aspect of the display is a massive improvement, in my eyes. Very pleased with the New model, for this and other reasons.

BorntoPlay

Excuse the double post, just stoked to report that I did manage to nab an IPS New XL. I feel like after not getting the regular New 3DS stateside, the amiibo supply situation, an awful E3 and Devil's Third, the Nintendo gods were like, "hey, throw this kid a bone so he keeps buying our shit for another 30 years."

That aside, the eBay seller I purchased from keeps updating with new units, which makes me think that my device came from new stock. This is highly anecdotal, but based on the handful of Gaffers and Redditors getting IPS screens on recent purchases, the IPS model might be more common nowadays. Maybe the TN was used initially to boost production numbers, as speculated? Again, highly anecdotal speculation here.

Finally, I just wanted to note that the display looks great. I've held on to my original 3DS until now (and there are things about it that I still love), mostly because I was worried about the pixel density on the XL. If you happen to be in the same boat as me (and can ensure you get an IPS panel), I'd say don't hesitate; the pixel density hasn't bothered me a bit, and every other aspect of the display is a massive improvement, in my eyes. Very pleased with the New model, for this and other reasons.

If ips is common now then I have a TN screen limited edition... lol

goldenpp72

So I am debating on grabbing a N3DS from Gamestop and was alerted to this being an issue. is this still a persistent problem and if so, does anyone know GS policy on exchanging?

Kronic

Neo Member
Hey guys- after a hunting for an IPS screen I am wondering if there is another consistent method of telling which screen the unit may have.

The cardboard packaging insert seems to vary.

1) Full 4 sided rectangle slip cover with a side flap that the unit can be slid out of. From the units I purchased these were all TN screens.

2) A tray style cardboard insert in which the unit sits in. This was how I found my unit with the IPS screen.

Hope this helps those looking to purchase online.

I have included pictures as well.
IPS Screen packaging
NTkXi68.jpg

TN Screen packaging
nQdskRD.jpg

vLCXBa2.jpg

I just bought my XL, and now I'm starting to panic about the screen a little.

I think I might have a TN screen due to the viewing angle. I didn't notice anything to bad about the 3D viewing angle though, having just come from the OG 3DS...

Lumyst

Several weeks ago, I dropped my New 3DS XL and the screen cracked. I got it back from repair and now I've got the non-IPS screen :p To tell the truth, it was only a matter of getting used to the non-IPS screen and now I'm not bothered. At low brightness, the non-IPS screen isn't as good as the IPS screen was, but I'm noticing that at higher brightnesses, I prefer the non-IPS screen. In fact, at higher brightness settings, it's kind of similar to how the IPS screen was. The IPS screen had that "ghosting" issue as well as that "scanline" appearance. So in the end, I can't really choose one or the other as being the one I preferred, so whatever, haha. I have a laptop with an IPS screen though, and it's unquestionably preferable to other screens I've used on laptops, but for the little screen on the 3DS, having one or the other type doesn't seem to be much of a bothersome difference.

power2pc

Neo Member
Is there a certain store I can go to, to guarantee a IPS screen? I just don't want to spend the money and than return it based on TN screen, I don't even know if that would be considered a defect. Maybe I should buy it at Walmart, since they have great return policy.

Zero_IYAD

A questions..
I was one of the lucky few who managed to grab a New 3DS XL by price matching Kmarts deal last week & got mine for 107 $ from Walmart.com
The listed model on their website is REDSVAAA
Any idea if that's IPS or TN? Or is there no way to tell just by model #?

I'm shipping my device internationally, so I won't be able to physically check it for 2-3 more days.

Thanks, & sorry for pulling the thread.

A questions..
I was one the lucky few who managed to grab a New 3DS XL by price matching Kmarts deal last week & got mine for 107 $ from Walmart.com

I'm shipping my device internationally, so I won't be able to physically check it for 2-3 more days.

no way to tell by the number.

Don't stress out if you get a TN. I have a TN panel and looks awesome, it has its advantages as well. PLus you got very cheap (just like me), so that is ok if you get the TN. You could always try to exchange in store I g uess, but you might have to go over many to find a IPS one.

Yrael

A questions..
I was one the lucky few who managed to grab a New 3DS XL by price matching Kmarts deal last week & got mine for 107 $ from Walmart.com

No way to tell by model number, I'm afraid.

power2pc said:
Is there a certain store I can go to, to guarantee a IPS screen? I just don't want to spend the money and than return it based on TN screen, I don't even know if that would be considered a defect. Maybe I should buy it at Walmart, since they have great return policy.

There's no store that will guarantee an IPS screen. Like you said, best to buy it from somewhere with a good return policy.

Zero_IYAD

no way to tell by the number.

Don't stress out if you get a TN. I have a TN panel and looks awesome, it has its advantages as well. PLus you got very cheap (just like me), so that is ok if you get the TN. You could always try to exchange in store I g uess, but you might have to go over many to find a IPS one.
No way to tell by model number, I'm afraid.

I understand.
It's not a big issue for me. As you said, for the price we paid I'm really fine with anything.
It's just that there's no way for me to exchange the device since I'm currently not in the States.
As long as I don't end up with a yellowish screen or dead pixels I'll be more than happy with this deal : )

Yrael

Try changing your 3DS wallpaper to the plain black screen, and then see what happens when you tilt it from side to side. If IPS, the background should stay black. If it's TN, the fadeout will be quite dramatic.

Zero_IYAD

Try changing your 3DS wallpaper to the plain black screen, and then see what happens when you tilt it from side to side. If IPS, the background should stay black. If it's TN, the fadeout will be quite dramatic.
Should I turn the 3D off when I'm testing this?

ZeroCDR

Just glancing at the angled pictures, I think you got an IPS.

Easiest way to tell is to look at it from a side angle, you'll notice the bottom screen is very washed out, the top screen should still look mostly good and clear if it's an IPS.

Macka

So they're still using both types of screens after all this time, and it's just pot luck if you get an IPS?

I'd have to import this, so trying to return it is completely out the window. Ugh.

This morning I received the N3DS XL I had ordered from Amazon and immediately could tell that it had the TN panel. The poor viewing angles were one thing but the colors were washed out and just off even when viewing it head on. What's worse is that there was this weird flickering that would happen if I had the 3D turned on and moved the 3ds very slightly.

Later in the day I decided to head to Best Buy and try my luck there and I'm glad I did because not only did I end up with the IPS panel but getting to compare the two side by side made it clear just how much better the IPS panel is. I really hope Nintendo gets rid of these TN panels. It sucks that it is random if you get a bad display, especially because N3DS is such a great system otherwise.

So some of the regular size N3DS units are being found with IPS screens? I tried the trick from this thread where you pull out a regular DS game right after you boot it to get two black screens (well bottom screen is black but with "An error has occurred" message) and it looks like the blacks on both screens match.

I also did the angle test and disabled Wifi and tilted the system. As long as I'm tilting it at an angle where you wouldn't be completely breaking the 3D effect I can still read the word "Disabled" in gray and white.

Also, regular DS games look beautiful on the normal size N3DS system when you boot them into their native resolution. It's not like on OG 3DS where it almost felt like playing on a small GB Micro screen. Viewing area is just the right size, very crisp, and colors pop. This might at least partially replace my DS Lite.

Are any of these indicators my regular size N3DS might have an IPS screen?

So some of the regular size N3DS units are being found with IPS screens? I tried the trick from this thread where you pull out a regular DS game right after you boot it to get two black screens (well bottom screen is black but with "An error has occurred" message) and it looks like the blacks on both screens match.

I also did the angle test and disabled Wifi and tilted the system. As long as I'm tilting it at an angle where you wouldn't be completely breaking the 3D effect I can still read the word "Disabled" in gray and white.

Also, regular DS games look beautiful on the normal size N3DS system when you boot them into their native resolution. It's not like on OG 3DS where it almost felt like playing on a small GB Micro screen. Viewing area is just the right size, very crisp, and colors pop. This might at least partially replace my DS Lite.

Are any of these indicators my regular size N3DS might have an IPS screen?

See the other thread, you have a TN screen, which is not bad. You will not find IPS screen on the regular new 3ds.

Hello again.

Does anyone know if this IPS/TN lottery applies to the smaller model as well? I've just ordered one and am hoping to transfer from my metallic blue New 3DS XL (with IPS display) but it really is a bit of a gamble.

More info on the new 3DS screen here:
http://www.lesnumeriques.com/consol...-nintendo-new-3ds-a-sonde-a-loupe-n39641.html

It seems to be a Sharp IGZO.

Luminosity comparison:
new 3DS : 158 cd/m²
Oled Vita: 117 cd/m²
Old 3DS: 84 cd/m²

The display on my regular new 3DS looks more like an IPS display than a TN display. Vertical viewing angles show a slight loss of contrast, but not the extreme image degradation TN is known for with vertical viewing angles (colors shifting, almost inverting).

More than that, diagonal viewing angles are horrible and completely wash the image out, a typical trait of IPS displays, my IPS monitors do the exact same thing.

It does seem to have a bit of IPS glow as well (testing with Donkey Kong, white letters on a black background).

Blacks are not very deep, which is also typical for IPS displays.

Response time is pretty good, but I'm pretty sure this is an IPS display, not the best kind though.

EDIT: My N3DS display looks the same as in richisawesome's shots, check your diagonal viewing angles as well.
EDIT2: My N3DS viewing angles look exactly the same as on my IPS monitors, which are slightly worse actually.

If anyone could post pics of their N3DS with IPS display that'd be really reassuring!

Yrael

Hello again.

Does anyone know if this IPS/TN lottery applies to the smaller model as well? I've just ordered one and am hoping to transfer from my metallic blue New 3DS XL (with IPS display) but it really is a bit of a gamble.

If anyone could post pics of their N3DS with IPS display that'd be really reassuring!

From what I can tell, no - all of the smaller n3DS models seem to have the TN screen only.

Chopini

Neo Member
I happened to get my hand on both screens. I would like to share my experience with both models. Please note that my experience for TN is on "N3DS not XL model" so it might differ.
Me and my other half decided to switched to N3DS XL / N3DS from O3DS XLs just for better Monster Hunter 4U experience.

We did hunt a bit for IPS panel on XL model but got it second try.
Another one is N3DS regular size which is obviously TN panel.

Here are my findings;
Color - It is very subjective both have its pros and cons for me. TN produce quite natural color and not very much different from the old model. IPS on the another hand is higher contrast. It is depending on game for me MH4U looks better on IPS than TN but some other game TN does it better. Some might not like IPS that black is little crushed.

2D - I did not notice any banding or flickering in IPS panel that some people report it on here so it not bother me at all. For TN I believed this is not an issue.

3D - 3D on both panel is very different to me.

IPS panel - 3D is a lot better here at least for me. The thing is that IPS make ghosting less visible and super stable work really perfect it stay spot on how much I moved it side to side. It also somehow hind ghosting a bit better than non-IPS to me.

TN panel - I agree with other that 3D is worse on TN panel. I could not point out the problem at first. I find that with TN panel super stable 3d does not work as good as on IPS. The focus image is still spot on and not losing focus. The thing is ghosting on TN panel is flickering if you move it side to side a bit, this does not happen on my IPS model at all. It make ghosting look worse, not to mention that ghosting is already more noticeable on this. On bright screen this issue is not visible. In actual use, system does not move side to side much so this problem might not that bad.

To me if you really want to use 3D, I think IPS is an obvious choice. For 2D, I think both screen is okay. I love N3DS form factor but I would like it to have great 3D as on my IPS XL. Not sure if this 3D function differently might due to other factor or not, XL/ non-XL, or other defects.
I haven't test much on other games I will report after I have spent more time.

Sorry for my English.

Welp, looks like I got the dud model. The New 3DS I just received has some of the worst viewing angles I've seen on a screen in a long time, so I will be returning it.

The colours shift so quickly (And from all four directions) that super stable 3D is seriously diminished, the viewing angles are even worse than my TN DSi which was probably the worst of my modern Nintendo handhelds, but it did have perfect horizontal viewing angles.

My DSi XL has twin IPS displays (though they could be calibrated a lot better) and my N3DS XL has the IPS display on top, which has flawless viewing angles. The plus side to the N3DS is that the screen has the same excellent anti-reflective coating over it, and it's calibrated much better than the original 3DS (as mentioned in the review from that Spanish website).

But I'm not willing to take such a hit to viewing angles in exchange for the smaller screens I prefer, mainly because I actually use super stable 3D now, whereas it didn't bother me on the original 3DS where I'd make an effort to keep my view steady.

Anyway, here are a couple of screens I took from the first stage at boot. Just a quick request though: if anyone here has a smaller N3DS, could you take similar photos of the upper screen on the language select screen on system settings? It'll be interesting to see what the range of viewing angle quality is across Nintendo's panel suppliers. Surely they aren't all this bad?

I also think the viewing angles could be a lot better if they are showing different colours than the brown-beige in system settings, but I don't want to play with the unit as I'll be returning it.

SY7O9Ni.jpg

7FCa6QX.jpg

poodaddy

I actually really wish I had kept my old 3ds so that I could compare it to my New3dsxl now. So the NEW3dsxl is IPS huh? Well admittedly I never noticed it, but it definitely looks colorful and has great viewing angles, much better than my old 3ds as I remember it. This is the kind of thing I want to see more tech youtubers cover, as opposed to 20 videos detailing all the various brands of a GPU when they're almost all the same if the chip is the same.

I actually really wish I had kept my old 3ds so that I could compare it to my New3dsxl now. So the NEW3dsxl is IPS huh? Well admittedly I never noticed it, but it definitely looks colorful and has great viewing angles, much better than my old 3ds as I remember it. This is the kind of thing I want to see more tech youtubers cover, as opposed to 20 videos detailing all the various brands of a GPU when they're almost all the same if the chip is the same.

You're not missing too much -- every original 3DS has a TN panel with variable viewing angles (mostly depending on what it's showing).

The annoying thing is the small New 3DS I have (and indeed, the one someone I know IRL has) has worse viewing angles than the original 3DSes we have, which is pretty bad.

Still, the screen overall is better, as it has the anti-reflective coating, higher brightness and much better calibration (the white point is much closer to what it's meant to be), but it's a shame it isn't as good as the XL's.

poodaddy

You're not missing too much -- every original 3DS has a TN panel with variable viewing angles (mostly depending on what it's showing).

The annoying thing is the small New 3DS I have (and indeed, the one someone I know IRL has) has worse viewing angles than the original 3DSes we have, which is pretty bad.

Still, the screen overall is better, as it has the anti-reflective coating, higher brightness and much better calibration (the white point is much closer to what it's meant to be), but it's a shame it isn't as good as the XL's.

That's a bummer man :( I suppose if you were a technical guru you could replace that tn panel with an IPS but....I think that would be more expensive than just picking up the New XL. Just out of curiosity, are you adverse to the idea of picking up the NewXL? I know some people really don't like the pixel density but I've never really had a problem with it. I also know that it's not exactly ideal in regards to its portability but it fits in my pocket fairly easily. I'm just kind of throwing stuff out here.

Yrael

Welp, looks like I got the dud model. The New 3DS I just received has some of the worst viewing angles I've seen on a screen in a long time, so I will be returning it.

The colours shift so quickly (And from all four directions) that super stable 3D is seriously diminished, the viewing angles are even worse than my TN DSi which was probably the worst of my modern Nintendo handhelds, but it did have perfect horizontal viewing angles.

My DSi XL has twin IPS displays (though they could be calibrated a lot better) and my N3DS XL has the IPS display on top, which has flawless viewing angles. The plus side to the N3DS is that the screen has the same excellent anti-reflective coating over it, and it's calibrated much better than the original 3DS (as mentioned in the review from that Spanish website).

But I'm not willing to take such a hit to viewing angles in exchange for the smaller screens I prefer, mainly because I actually use super stable 3D now, whereas it didn't bother me on the original 3DS where I'd make an effort to keep my view steady.

Anyway, here are a couple of screens I took from the first stage at boot. Just a quick request though: if anyone here has a smaller N3DS, could you take similar photos of the upper screen on the language select screen on system settings? It'll be interesting to see what the range of viewing angle quality is across Nintendo's panel suppliers. Surely they aren't all this bad?

I also think the viewing angles could be a lot better if they are showing different colours than the brown-beige in system settings, but I don't want to play with the unit as I'll be returning it.

SY7O9Ni.jpg

7FCa6QX.jpg

Sure:

Also from earlier in the thread:

My white n3DS's screen is not as vivid as that of my IPS n3DS XL, and it washes out much more when viewed at an angle. The super stable 3D still works quite well though.

Top Bottom