• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

Cruzito

Neo Member
Was super excited to receive the GameStop Bundle in the mail yesterday. But then discovered that my precious Majora Mask system has the inferior TN Screen. I called Nintendo Repair. Explained the situation regarding TN vs IPS. They put me on hold while they consulted and none of their technicians are aware of this being an issue.

How is it that Nintendo techs are not aware of this?

I am so bummed over the screen. Planing on packing it up to return to GameStop.

M3d10n

The difference between the top and bottom screen is obvious. The bottom one quickly washes out when you turn the unit left/right, while the top screen holds quite more. It does start washing out eventually, but that doesn't rules out IPS, since I've seen cheaper IPS screens that do the same (iPod Touch 5).

Here's the video of the banding effect :

http://youtu.be/mCWqZ7K0RI0

Level S6-5, so at the end of the game, sorry.

You can also see the edge shimmering but it's not very conclusive.

If I must describe the two displays, I would say the IPS is better at handling detailed 3d games and for all 2d games, results may vary between the content displayed, you could have cases where the picture is clearly better than the TN display and some where it's worse. Majora's mask, smash bros and MH4 all look better on the IPS display, NSMB 3D land and pullblox look better on the TN.
The TN display is very consistent and will handle all content the same no matter what.

If the gamma level of the TN display was properly calibrated, it would be a clear winner for me, even with the black trail issue on light background.

For me it's a matter of trading acurate gamma level against consistency, gamma level are winning but it's a close one and I can't say I'm satisfied with the IPS display.

EDIT: First ghost house is M4-4 and you can see awfull case of banding on the yellow moving platform and on red carpet. I Think it has something to do on how the game is rendered in those stages specificaly. I don't remember the effect being this ugly on the TN display. The artists must have created those stage with the TN display in mind and the IPS doesn't work well with the dark/foggy atmosphere.

AFAIK lots of 3DS games render at 18-bit color, SM3DL being no exception. Some games use dithering, others don't (SM3DL does not). The IPS screen isn't adding banding, it's just making it more obvious due to the increased contrast.

Was super excited to receive the GameStop Bundle in the mail yesterday. But then discovered that my precious Majora Mask system has the inferior TN Screen. I called Nintendo Repair. Explained the situation regarding TN vs IPS. They put me on hold while they consulted and none of their technicians are aware of this being an issue.

I am so bummed over the screen. Planing on packing it up to return to GameStop.

It's not an issue and the screen is not inferior by nintendo standard. They can't fix what isn't broken. That's why it's important to buy the 3ds from a retailer with lenient return policy in order to get a nearly perfect one and it's very hard. There's lot of combination of flaws you can get so a TN 3ds could be superior to an IPS one. You need to find one and be satisfied with it.

When I got the IPS, I was disappointed, but now I'm more comfortable with the handheld and I don't focus on the flaws anymore and just enjoy the games.

Reallink

that's not the scan line effect, its moire from camera focus. the scan line thing is noticeable in person but I don't think it can be captured in pictures as it seems to be the screen flickering in some fashion. its hard to explain but once you see its easy to point out.

in person if you have ips and move the screen around physically and track it with your eyes looking for something that looks almost like interlacing. it can be quite noticeable in games with solid colors or the default menu theme. I returned two ips n3dsxls and one had this problem very badly especially along the bottom of the screen. it also had it vertically along the left side. on the second 3ds it was barely there, very faint a non issue however it had 4 dead pixels.

Your OGxl looks like it has a pretty decent calibration while the ips are pushing green/red. My OG is similar and looked better in menu than the n3ds screens but In game, I found the ips does shine through. there is also noticeable motion blur on the tn. to test this I used music park in Mario kart 7. when you go around the sharp turns the thin space between keys look jaggy on the ips. on the tn they smear but if you pause and youll notice its just like the ips.

This particular unit basically looks like an emulator scan line filter in person, it's strictly horizontal and uniformly covers the entire screen. It's honestly impossible to miss, there's no need to look for it by moving the unit around or displaying solid colors. It's immediately recognizable in the varied scenery of MH4 and MM, even as a bystander.

What I was primarily trying to point out is that the "good" and "bad" units in my example have similar if not identical viewing angle performance, but vastly different color points, and it's the unit with the scan line effect (presumed IPS) that has the muted palette.

It's not an issue and the screen is not inferior by nintendo standard. They can't fix what isn't broken. That's why it's important to buy the 3ds from a retailer with lenient return policy in order to get a nearly perfect one and it's very hard. There's lot of combination of flaws you can get so a TN 3ds could be superior to an IPS one. You need to find one and be satisfied with it.

When I got the IPS, I was disappointed, but now I'm more comfortable with the handheld and I don't focus on the flaws anymore and just enjoy the games.

I have a TN screen and while picky with electronics, I've been too busy having fun playing games on my New 3DS to give a shit about getting the "lesser" screen.

I care more about real issues like dead pixels and whatnot.

I don't know much about tech but it's not like the IPS screen is going to make the games look like you were playing on a Vita or anything.

outsidah

I prefer the look of the IPS screen and lucked out with a black unit with one. Today is realized the bottom screen has either dust under the screen or a dead pixel :/

Decision to make now is if I want to play the game again and hope I get another IPS and no pixel issues.

Seanspeed

Banned

It really is an issue. There's a big distinction between the two types is screens.

It really is an issue. There's a big distinction between the two types is screens.

Differences between two units don't necessarily imply an issue.
The displays were chosen by nintendo, you can't complain and ask for a refund when your unit is perfectly functional and is not faulty.

Even between two consoles with the same display type, you can still have a big difference in quality.

You can also have a looser hinge.

The big issue is the poor quality control of nintendo, not the type of display. I would be fine with both of my n3dsxl if the qc was good.
Now I need to chose between IPS properly calibrated screen riddled with scanlines and a loose hinge, and a perfect unit with a TN screen with gamma levels set too high.

Mercutio

I prefer the look of the IPS screen and lucked out with a black unit with one. Today is realized the bottom screen has either dust under the screen or a dead pixel :/

Decision to make now is if I want to play the game again and hope I get another IPS and no pixel issues.

If you send it in for repair, they'll only replace the bottom screen.

Also, it's hilarious to hear people complain about scan lines. In the retro community, we pay stupid money for those things.

Seanspeed

Banned
Differences between two units don't necessarily imply an issue.
The displays were chosen by nintendo, you can't complain and ask for a refund when your unit is perfectly functional and is not faulty.

Even between two consoles with the same display type, you can still have a big difference in quality.

You can also have a looser hinge.

The big issue is the poor quality control of nintendo, not the type of display. I would be fine with both of my n3dsxl if the qc was good.
Now I need to chose between IPS properly calibrated screen riddled with scanlines and a loose hinge, and a perfect unit with a TN screen with gamma levels set too high.
I don't think you understand that some people justifiably consider the TN to not be as good as the IPS screen. Just because Nintendo 'chooses' to do this bullshit doesn't mean there is no issue. I imagine variance among displays of the same type are going to be quite negligible compared to the differences between the two types overall.

This is not ok to some of us.

Mercutio

I don't think you understand that some people justifiably consider the TN to not be as good as the IPS screen. Just because Nintendo 'chooses' to do this bullshit doesn't mean there is no issue. I imagine variance among displays of the same type are going to be quite negligible compared to the differences between the two types overall.

But seriously, you're just yelling at the rain for being wet here. At this point we know Nintendo isn't trustworthy or even remotely self aware. If you choose to do business with them on any level, you know that there is a risk of being screwed. "Fool me once" and all that.

It's not a manufacturing error and unfortunately well within Nintendo's very loose specifications. The only productive course of action is to use whatever return policy offered by the reseller and hope for better luck next time.

If you send it in for repair, they'll only replace the bottom screen.

Also, it's hilarious to hear people complain about scan lines. In the retro community, we pay stupid money for those things.

I love scanlines in retro games, but the scanlines on my n3dsxl are just very distracting because they appear and dissappear in a nonuniformly manner.

That's why I said to pick a retailer with a good return policy if it bothers you. Officially, there's still no issue and nintendo will do nothing for you.

At least the information is out and you can act accordingly. I got the console day one and got burned, so I'm very well aware of the issue one consumer have to deal with.

Jomjom

Banned
Yeah I noticed this few days ago while comparing. here's some comparison shots I took: http://imgur.com/a/8zSHU

I'm now questioning why n3ds doesn't have them. RRP's aren't that different you know. :(

I pulled up the exact part in the MH4 demo and mine looks just like the one in the lower right. However when i pulled up the black screen as suggested in the OP the black on the top screen washed out way faster than even the lower screen.

Is the one with the most vibrant looking image in the comparison shots an IPS?

What the heck do I have? Im totally confused.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So how common are these screens? Do most NXL consoles have the IPS screen?

I presume that Nintendo boosted their launch numbers for the new model by using some screens intended for the OG XL model.

Jomjom

Banned
For people with an IPS screen: If you look at a black screen at Brightness Setting 5 (max) and tilt does it wash out?

Like I said in my previous post, it looks just like the really vibrant screen out of the 5 in the photos comparing the 5 3DSes.

My screen doesn't seem to wash out on colorful screens, but on completely black screens it washes out even faster than the bottom screen. It just looks like the backlight is super bright when I tilt it. I can actually see the light from the sides of the screen.

So I got a black IPS display yesterday by luck. Had no idea this was even a thing. I checked my buddies and his is definitely a TN the viewing angle goes completely blurry where mine is crystal clear at the side.

Xamdou

So the one I got is an IPS screen on my new MMN3DSXL?

MMN3DSXL.jpg

MMN3DSXL2.jpg

MMN3DSXL3.jpg

So, I picked up two units with serial number YEM10079XXX Y (regular N3DS, black, Europe), still sealed. Anyone got one of these YEM1007 and can tell me anything about them?

The difference between the two XXX numbers amounts to only 30, so I'm assuming they're identical as far as components go.

I still don't understand how to tell which screen I have.

Comparing my New and old black XLs side by side, they both look sharp from an angle and neither screen looks yellow. They both look pretty similar and just fine. What am I missing?

Chitown B

this is false, the new 3ds uses at least two variants of panels and once again nothing is calibrated properly to save money. here's an example of two panels.

Hp1nLm4.jpg

the easiest way to check which you have is to watch and see if the wifi indicator washes out or remains readable.

panel A seems to be more common, but it also suffers from a scanline or pwm effect as mentioned in this thread.

panel B is clearly a tn screen. it does not suffer from the scanline issue however the super stable 3D is reported to be much worse with this screen than type A. this might explain why a small number claim the 3D is still crap or worse.

Wait so the one on the right actually looks while with a black screen, when turned to the side? Wow.

Mine is definitely not that. So I must have IPS.

ecurbj

Wait so the one on the right actually looks while with a black screen, when turned to the side? Wow.

Mine is definitely not that. So I must have IPS.

Yup. So I glad I have Type A. I was worried when I bought my n3DSXL the other day. Turned it on and it turned out to be Type A.

Yes!

ecurbj

I still don't understand how to tell which screen I have.

Comparing my New and old black XLs side by side, they both look sharp from an angle and neither screen looks yellow. They both look pretty similar and just fine. What am I missing?

What's not to understand?

Turn your 3D off.

Turn your n3DS XL to the side. If you can see the WiFi symbol on the status bar from the sides without it looking washed out than you have an IPS screen if you don't see the WiFi symbol from the side than you have an TN screen.

Hp1nLm4.jpg

So yeah, my unit definitely has a TN panel. No dead/stuck pixels or visible color imbalances. Circle pad was busted right out of the box, so it's going in for repairs.

Maybe at some point replacement panels will surface on eBay and I can do a panel swap.

Reallink

The screen type with the scan line filter effect is a MUCH bigger deal than TN Vs. IPS. It seems there are at least 2 IPS types in circulation, one with and one without the defect. Either that or it's a manufacturing defect related to the parallax barrier or whatever technology they use for the 3d.

Converse

Banned
As someone still in the OG 3DS club (I prefer it to the XL), I was pretty disappointed by the lack of the standard-sized New 3DS in North America. However, my local Target has an IPS New XL running Majora's Mask on display, and it changed my mind. Got a case, Japan-imported charging cradle, #0 screwdriver, 32GB microSD and a charger ready to go (make it easy on a guy, Nintendo, jeez).

Anyway, I'll be New XL shopping -- after some delay -- this week. What's the current lay of the land looking like for IPS panels? Do we know if they've become more rare or less rare since launch? Are there any store recommendations in regards to lax return policies or letting customers look before they buy?

Tablo

So any update on this issue? I wonder if the TN/faulty displays have been cleared out of stock, N3DS XL been's out for a good bit in NA now.

BorntoPlay

My new 3DS XL have a TN screen and there is nothing i can do because i live in Venezuela...

I have very bad luck with Nintendo's consoles recently ... My original 3ds had bad hinges and my Wii U came "factory bricked".....lol

Seanspeed

Banned
For anybody still unsure how to tell, I imagine that comparing the top and bottom screen should be a pretty easy way to tell without knowing about IPS or having an older 3DS to compare with.

Basically, if the top screen has substantially more vivid colors than the bottom, you've got an IPS. They will look somewhat comparable if you've got a TN.

Converse

Banned
Hey ya'll. I'm so desperate to get an IPS screen that I've turned to Craigslist and eBay rather than do the retail crapshoot. As you might expect, I'm having a hard time explaining to people what I'm looking for. Dude from Craigslist just sent me these photos, by request -- don't think he tilted the screen quite enough, but what sort of assessment do you all get from these photos, if anything?

Mistle

^can't tell anything. the tilted shot does look brighter/washed out but that's just because the exposure of the photo as a whole is brighter (as you can see background room detail in the tiled shot but not in the other).

Yrael

There's really too much glow for me to be able to reliably tell, to be honest - as Mistle said, the camera needs less exposure in the second shot to be able to make a decent comparison.

For what it's worth, if I tilt my own (IPS) 3DS XL by the same amount, this is what it looks like:

Doczu

The quality of the 3D isn't related to whether a display is IPS or TN, I don't think.

Well, that post of big_z claims that TN panels have a worse 3D effect that is easily "broken", as with the older models. I'm really on the verge of buying a newer model (my launch aqua blue has battery problems) and i would love the smaller one, but my OCD regarding quality might kill me. I was fine untill i found this thread...

Converse

Banned
^can't tell anything. the tilted shot does look brighter/washed out but that's just because the exposure of the photo as a whole is brighter (as you can see background room detail in the tiled shot but not in the other).

There's really too much glow for me to be able to reliably tell, to be honest - as Mistle said, the camera needs less exposure in the second shot to be able to make a decent comparison.

For what it's worth, if I tilt my own (IPS) 3DS XL by the same amount, this is what it looks like:

Thanks to both of you, I appreciate it. Yrael, those pictures are actually very helpful to have, just as another source for comparison.

I'm still on the hunt; the guy ended up sending me another photo, taken at more of an angle, and it was clearly a TN.

I've got another person who is going to snap some photos on a different XL. He says he believes it to be an IPS, so I might follow up for second opinions, if you all would be so kind.

Nintendo is just poking my OCD with a stick at this point.

Top Bottom