• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bayonetta 2 gameplay from SDCC

chadboban

Man I can't wait for this game. Seeing it at 60fps yesterday on twitch was amazing!

Some random hype gifs

jhrkgx.gif

gnmyek.gif

qofhub.gif

rgbohr.gif

Nintendo released footage of all the previous demos being played by someone with actual skills. So I had to make gifs.

iP4Xpm7lTPiZ2.gif
iq5ZvQTN1wAsm.gif

I made the gif on the left too short, so it ended up looking like something that belongs on tumblr, but the important part, as shown by the button presses, is that the attack is the punch counterpart to After Burner Kick. The gif on the right is, I think, Chernabog's version of the same attack.
i1DSb4QPUVhrf.gif
ibdtIKOOYoBfhL.gif

On the left is Kafka's(the bow) melee attack. Going by the dash before hand, it's probably that weapon's stinger move. Image on the right shows Cache & Compassion using a team attack.
ib2hA1DJM2xj90.gif
i7MIxIAM42m01.gif

On the left is Rakshasa's all-kick combo. The one on the right is nothing special, I just liked the combo. Though it does give me a chance to mention that, in return for not having any Wicked Weaves, Alruna's whips grow bigger for its finishers, which is one of the factors that allows it to grab bigger enemies. In Umbran Climax its whips are always finisher sized.
i724kK65cu2P2.gif
iyVmJErvc8ht8.gif

Alruna's bullet climax on the left. Gif on the right shows that it can grab two enemies simultaneously.
iDPIEr78B788O.gif

Just thought this looked nice.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I love the new scythe, bow and two swords yet i still wait for the return of these beauties:

wzvLDtS.png
Apart from the new whip I'm not seeing much overlap between the old weapons and the new ones. Even the flame/ice throwers, despite having the elemental stuff in common with the claws from Bayo 1 are pretty different from each other.

So I'm kinda expecting all the weapons from the first episode to come back. That would be crazy good.

Monocle

Awesome stuff, Fimbulvetr.

I'm so glad to see Platinum expanding Bayonetta's combat system in ways that make sense. I want to list some of the cool changes and additions I've noticed so far:

- Angel weapons (the ones enemies drop when killed by torture attacks) are mapped to the weak gun button now instead of the punch button like the original game. This is a fantastic change because it gives us access to angel weapon attacks and Bayonetta's full move set at the same time.

- Kick-only combos seem more useful now. They're faster, and there's a launcher in at least one of Love is Blue's combos. So great.

- That punch counterpart to the afterburner kick is an obvious addition that I didn't even consider before I saw it. I'm glad it's in, and glad to see that the attack (apparently) varies between weapons.

- Now that a set of whips can be equipped on Bayonetta's legs, we'll be able to use all of the enemy-grabbing whip functions from the first game without the disadvantage of losing an arm slot to a weak weapon. That said, the new whips seem decently powerful in their own right, not just a weak grappling tool. On top of that, larger enemies can be grabbed, making the whips a viable weapon for practically all of the encounters we've seen so far.

One thing I'm not sure about that I'd really like confirmation on is whether we can activate and deactivate Umbran Climax at any point in a combo. I noticed that UC changes the properties of certain hits, so it would be nice if we could pop it on and off for fine control. For example, some attacks that normally stagger enemies will juggle them with UC. Potentially, we're looking at a new layer of combo possibilities.

MDX

Can't wait for the tagGAf climax.

People saying that make me really angry to be honest.

You shouldn't be, its actually the best marketing Nintendo can have.
People are paying attention and talking about the game.
The more hate Nintendo gets, the more valuable the game becomes.
And I bet you dollars to donuts that a lot of those loudmouths will
eventually cave in and buy the WiiU.

- Kick-only combos seem more useful now. They're faster, and there's a launcher in at least one of Love is Blue's combos. So great.

I think that's my favorite addition so far. Finally I can start combos off with kick instead of my usual PPKP/PKP/PPKK/etc variety

Gusy

Has anyone heard anything about the Bayo 1 port. How does it compare vs the 360 version? Is it improved?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone heard anything about the Bayo 1 port. How does it compare vs the 360 version? Is it improved?

I don't think anything has been released on how the two compare. But, if anyone can make Bayonetta look and perform better than the original it's P*.

kunonabi

Everything points to constant 60fps and no screen tearing plus bonus costumes. No screen tearing alone makes it superior to me.

TreIII

- Angel weapons (the ones enemies drop when killed by torture attacks) are mapped to the weak gun button now instead of the punch button like the original game. This is a fantastic change because it gives us access to angel weapon attacks and Bayonetta's full move set at the same time.

- That punch counterpart to the afterburner kick is an obvious addition that I didn't even consider before I saw it. I'm glad it's in, and glad to see that the attack (apparently) varies between weapons.

- Now that a set of whips can be equipped on Bayonetta's legs, we'll be able to use all of the enemy-grabbing whip functions from the first game without the disadvantage of losing an arm slot to a weak weapon. That said, the new whips seem decently powerful in their own right, not just a weak grappling tool. On top of that, larger enemies can be grabbed, making the whips a viable weapon for practically all of the encounters we've seen so far.

One thing I'm not sure about that I'd really like confirmation on is whether we can activate and deactivate Umbran Climax at any point in a combo. I noticed that UC changes the properties of certain hits, so it would be nice if we could pop it on and off for fine control. For example, some attacks that normally stagger enemies will juggle them with UC. Potentially, we're looking at a new layer of combo possibilities.

Good write-ups.

I was already trusting that Hashimoto would give us a great sequel, but now I think he's just going to give us a great game, period.

Unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been any sign of "Press X or Die" QTEs yet, right?

Adaren

Unless I'm mistaken, there hasn't been any sign of "Press X or Die" QTEs yet, right?

Haven't seen a single one, and there have been plenty of opportunities for them. I assume they're out.

Also, "mash" QTEs seem to go up a lot quicker. The "level" seems to increase each time the button is pressed, as opposed to the original where it took ~5 presses to get a level. I liked the satisfying intensity of mashing in Bayonetta 1, but my thumbs probably won't mind some rest. I accumulated a lot of battle wounds from Torture Attacks in Bayonetta 1.

Mr-Joker

Banned

Oh man the game is looking good, I can't wait to play it after finishing Bayonetta 1 Wii U edition.

Bowser will be my slave.

Oh wow...lots of cringe-inducing comments right there. Guess that will be the worst event in GAF history lol!

I wonder how many butt hurt people will post in the Bayonetta 2 OT thread crying over how Nintendo "stole" the game and how they "can't" play it.

Of course if they had any sense they won't post or risk a ban.

Riki

All the hands on so far show it being pretty rock solid with no tearing.
Plus Link and Samus costumes.
Easily the best version.

I love the new scythe, bow and two swords yet i still wait for the return of these beauties:

wzvLDtS.png
Eh. Odette would be pretty redundant unless its move set was changed.

So I'm kinda expecting all the weapons from the first episode to come back. That would be crazy good.
At best, I could see them as secret unlocks. Definitely wouldn't be showing up during a first playthrough, tho.

The last gif I posted shows it being activated for the last two attacks in the combo. Not sure about deactivating it, but I'd assume it's also in there.

TreIII

Haven't seen a single one, and there have been plenty of opportunities for them. I assume they're out.

Also, "mash" QTEs seem to go up a lot quicker. The "level" seems to increase each time the button is pressed, as opposed to the original where it took ~5 presses to get a level. I liked the satisfying intensity of mashing in Bayonetta 1, but my thumbs probably won't mind some rest. I accumulated a lot of battle wounds from Torture Attacks in Bayonetta 1.

Which would all be good news for me, as well.

Even the likes of having a level involving Bayo using a Mecha are much more appealing ideas to me than having more AfterBurner sequences. :lol

I know!
It's the main reason why I want to do another run through the original before I start Bayo2

Same. And if their hints about Bowser possibly showing as a Summon Attack are true...!

Monocle

The last gif I posted shows it being activated for the last two attacks in the combo. Not sure about deactivating it, but I'd assume it's also in there.
Awesome! I actually watched that gif for a while before I posted. Couldn't quite figure out what was going on. It wasn't until now that I thought to check Bayonetta's magic bar, oops.

BlackJace

Yeah, it's probably best to just keep a vanilla thread title that doesn't allude to the reveal thread.

Not a productive way to start off what should be celebrated as an arrival of a much anticipated title.

Top Bottom