• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 3 screenshots

Gbraga

That's because they used their common sense in Dark 1.

A level up NPC can make sense in a stage based game like Demons, seeing as how you had to go back to the Nexus no matter what. In Dark and Bloodborne, it adds nothing other than inconvenience (having to wait 2 loading screens, being forced to have teleport from the start...)

At least on PC the loading screens shouldn't be that long.

I hope.

...Apologies, here:

giphy.gif

Trick weapons added a second entire layer of depth to each individual weapon. I'm just not feeling the battle arts. Especially since they are tied down to mana...seems limited and ultimately most people playing DS3 stress test did better when they just ignored the system entirely. But look, I enjoyed DeS and DS1, so I'm capable of liking DS3 even if the combat goes back to - honestly - what I consider a bit prodding. But it's got so many other things going for it so I'll like it. But Bloodborne's combat is not in parallel with Dark Souls, it's the next advancement, and it's shame they aren't building upon it. It effectively retained all the strategy and planning, but was immensely more urgent, twitch based and ultimately a lot more fun. I love action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden etc., and the joy of playing Bloodborne as an action game was equivalent to those genre defining titles.

I know right...

PbMhe5I.gif

I love the kirkhammer so much, such a cool concept of a weapon, and the feel of weight in those animations. It really looks like you are flailing a large stone attached to a an iron bar.

Ferr986

But I liked the Dolls dialogue in Bloodborne. She's pretty much the only thing in that game that you can talk to that you really don't have to run a sword through.

You can still put an NPC like the Maiden, Doll, Shanalotte... in your safe zone (say, Firelink in Dark 1) if you want her.

Hell, make her a fire being that appears in bonfires if you want. The problem is not the character, is the inconvenience of loading screens and warping for no reason at all.

At least on PC the loading screens shouldn't be that long.

I hope.

Well, the loading times of DS2 on the PS4 are incredibly short too, but I know it won't be the same with DS3.

Gbraga

I think part of my reason for not liking her is just my overall level of "it's ok, but I can't play this anymore" attitude towards DS2, which I'm pretty sure is well documented on this site.

Her voice is amazing, and her dialogue...

Bearer of the curse, I will always be at your side. Until hope has fully withered.

So good.

I definitely share many of the complains about Dark II, but Shanalotte is really underrated :C

Though I have to say, the Doll saying "Of course, I do love you" caught me by surprise. I said OH MY GOD out loud when that happened.

Lady Maria best Soulsborne waifu.

Emerald Herald is so trash tier that I keep calling her the "Amber Herald."

Nothing wrong with the level up waifu. Both the Maiden in Black and the Doll are actually nice.
I don't really have a problem with it lol. I'm pretty sure Persona7 and others want the Dark Souls 1 system for leveling up and skip the Waifu stuff. I find it hilarious whenever some rants about it.

Don't want to be that guy but those pilled tombs are too much like Bloodborne.

Rest are awesome though. Can't wait!

Yeah they're taking a few too many elements from Bloodborne for my liking. I say let both IPs have their own distinct looks and feels instead of folding one into the other.

Gbraga

Yeah they're taking a few too many elements from Bloodborne for my liking. I say let both IPs have their own distinct looks and feels instead of folding one into the other.

It's not really as much about taking elements as it is just reusing assets that are done in that engine, for the current generation.

Listen to the crows in Bloodborne.

Listen to the crows in Dark Souls.

Yeah.

As well made as these games are, I don't think they're that high budget compared to other AAA games.

Hell, before Dark II, I'm not sure it would even qualify as a AAA game.

My thirst for info grows bigger and bigger. >.< Really hope FROM can outdo Dark Souls 1 with this one because if that's the case I won't need any other game for at least the rest of the year.

Can't wait.

It's not really as much about taking elements as it is just reusing assets that are done in that engine, for the current generation.

Listen to the crows in Bloodborne.

Listen to the crows in Dark Souls.

Yeah.

As well made as these games are, I don't think they're that high budget compared to other AAA games.

Hell, before Dark II, I'm not sure it would even qualify as a AAA game.

That is true, they've reused assets for quite a long time. It's not the first time they've done it, but it's a lot more noticeable going from BB to DS3 since BB was such a wide departure.

(I give it 5 minutes before I hear deep rolling thunder in the background on a level. Man does From LOVE that sound effect.)

After seeing that image of the bleeding Sun-type object I kind of hope they do something really weird for the end of the game.

Something completely unexpected like in Dragon's Dogma for example. I like it when a game throws me for a loop and I have absolutely no idea about what's to come next.

Her voice is amazing, and her dialogue...

Bearer of the curse, I will always be at your side. Until hope has fully withered.

So good.

I definitely share many of the complains about Dark II, but Shanalotte is really underrated :C

Though I have to say, the Doll saying "Of course, I do love you" caught me by surprise. I said OH MY GOD out loud when that happened.

Lady Maria best Soulsborne waifu.
Bearer of the...seek...seek...lest...zzzzzzzzzzz. I'll have to go back to that game at some point. I guess when I'm Bloodborned out or something.
You can still put an NPC like the Maiden, Doll, Shanalotte... in your safe zone (say, Firelink in Dark 1) if you want her.

Hell, make her a fire being that appears in bonfires if you want. The problem is not the character, is the inconvenience of loading screens and warping for no reason at all.
I would welcome my new fire waifu overlord no problem. I liked the hub worlds cause they were a safe zone that I could retreat to and just calmly buy my supplies and just destress after getting my shit pushed in by a boss.

DarkFlame

Banned
Bearer of the...seek...seek...lest...zzzzzzzzzzz. I'll have to go back to that game at some point. I guess when I'm Bloodborned out or something.

hahahaha,oh yeah.

Btw I'm in for a central hub like Firelink Shrine,but god PLEASE I don't wanna level up to a certain NPC.This is one of the things that Dark Souls 1 nailed compared to the rest of the series.

Leveling up in bonfires is just perfect

I would welcome my new fire waifu overlord no problem. I liked the hub worlds cause they were a safe zone that I could retreat to and just calmly buy my supplies and just destress after getting my shit pushed in by a boss.
Once you get past the initial lack of adp hump the game gets a lot better imo

Gbraga

This is a valid complaint, but I feel like most people magically stopped being annoyed by it once the Doll had the exact same issue.

Killing her does get past that, though, that is a plus.

I heard you were talkin shit about Shana-Chan.

CwXnmVm.gif

tumblr_n520y1gD2x1rl2oabo1_540.jpg

So cute.

This is a valid complaint, but I feel like most people magically stopped being annoyed by it once the Doll had the exact same issue.

Cause the doll is nicer. Emerald Herald just came off like a goth chick, though I swear the true goth in that game was crestfallen...that dude didn't have anything positive to say.

To be honest it really only annoyed me when I was playing the PS3 version because sometimes you couldn't even skip dialogue because the spoken lines didn't load yet. Made replays and leveling much more annoying to me than it is in SOTFS or if I had played the original PC version.

Gbraga

Cause the doll is nicer. Emerald Herald just came off like a goth chick, though I swear the true goth in that game was crestfallen...that dude didn't have anything positive to say.

The Crestfallen Warrior in Dark Souls 1 was the best. His dialogue and acting were always on point. I felt really bad for his fate. I've always seen him as more of a sad figure rather than just an asshole.

To be honest it really only annoyed me when I was playing the PS3 version because sometimes you couldn't even skip dialogue because the spoken lines didn't load yet. Made replays and leveling much more annoying to me than it is in SOTFS or if I had played the original PC version.

Oooooh, I actually didn't know that! I'll forgive everyone who complained about Shana-chan then.

The Crestfallen Warrior in Dark Souls 1 was the best. His dialogue and acting were always on point. I felt really bad for his fate. I've always seen him as more of a sad figure rather than just an asshole.
Went out fighting too, Crestfallen from Demons just died screaming from what I remember. All I remember is talking to him one time towards the middle I think it was and he just bugged the fuck out, then when I come back I just see his shit on the fucking steps.

I'm kinda in the boat that Bloodborne looks better, but it may be because the worlds and architecture have higher frequency that makes it feel more full o detail, while dark Souls does favor desolated areas and isolation and end up with less objects on screen by choice.

Deadstar

Looks glorious. Fuck me for not having enough will power to stay away from screenshots.

Not too hyped about Dark Souls 3 after 2 to be honest. 2 was a huge let down. The world was a mish mash of environments that didn't connect together and they upped the boss count and stripped all of the creativity out of them, with a few exceptions. Demon's and Dark Souls had a great variety of bosses in terms of size and mechanics. Dark Souls 2 bosses generally felt the same to fight and looked similar.

J-Skee

The battle arts...I don't know.

The weapons in Bloodborne were flat out great. It's what made the game out do a lot of action games in their own right.

3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

I was watching some DS3 beta footage and the combat looked so...backstab fishing-ish. I don't know, Bloodborne was an RPG that did action better than most dedicated action games, I hope they don't backtrack from that in DS3.

I'm kind of holding out on Dark Souls III because it isn't Bloodborne. BB was my first "Souls" game & it was mostly due to the way the weapons were handled & the faster, more offensive pace of the game. I don't know if I want to curl up with shield during most of the game or try to see what it's like to be a magic user.

Manu

Not too hyped about Dark Souls 3 after 2 to be honest. 2 was a huge let down. The world was a mish mash of environments that didn't connect together and they upped the boss count and stripped all of the creativity out of them, with a few exceptions. Demon's and Dark Souls had a great variety of bosses in terms of size and mechanics. Dark Souls 2 bosses generally felt the same to fight and looked similar.

DS2 was made by a different team with a new director, and then changed directors halfway through due to development issues.

DS3 is directed by the same guy who did Demon's Souls, Dark 1 and Bloodborne.

You have nothing to worry about.

I'm kind of holding out on Dark Souls III because it isn't Bloodborne. BB was my first "Souls" game & it was mostly due to the way the weapons were handled & the faster, more offensive pace of the game. I don't know if I want to curl up with shield during most of the game or try to see what it's like to be a magic user.

You can always dual wield or two-hand an ultra greatsword. They said bows are gonna be viable as a main weapon in DS3 too.

The battle arts...I don't know.

The weapons in Bloodborne were flat out great. It's what made the game out do a lot of action games in their own right.

3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

I was watching some DS3 beta footage and the combat looked so...backstab fishing-ish. I don't know, Bloodborne was an RPG that did action better than most dedicated action games, I hope they don't backtrack from that in DS3.
Jesus, is that Bloodborne running at 60fps and 1080p? Lawd have mercy

Nephtes

I am so hyped for this game!!!!

Bloodborne was no substitute for Dark Souls in my opinion. I'm heavily invested in Dark Souls lore and Bloodborne was too incomprehensible on the surface to want to dig into it further... I'm looking forward to seeing the visual improvements they made for Bloodborne make it into Lordran though! If there's one thing I can give Bloodborne it's that it's a good looking game.

I need to know WTF is going on though! That screen with the unruined Firelink Shrine!
WTF does that mean???

Does this game take place at the beginning of the undead curse maybe?
Is the end goal of the game not to link the fire or usher in an age of Dark but...something else entirely???

Damnit!
This game cannot arrive fast enough. Granted... I'll be happy to wait longer if they can manage to not have Bloodborne's frame pacing issue on consoles.

RiverBed

Banned

I'm the same as you (and magic is for wussies), but because I liked BB so much- san the frustrating parts- This one will be my first DS game. Nothing similar seems to be coming out in the near future, so why not? I just hope the frustration isn't to the point I stop playing. Online help saved me many times in BB or else I'd still be on the third boss...

Have fun, explore this 'Dark Souls' world. It's just a game.

I'm excited because it's Miyazaki directing this one, and after Bloodborne, I trust he's going to do something special with this game, too. I prefer the art direction in Bloodborne, but this is also looking great.

Ferr986

Better yet

EDIT: Now I don't even know if you ever reached a Desert Sorceress on Souls 2.

Anyways, safe zones are cool, but again, there's no need to push you there everytime you want to level up. Firelink Shrine and the Cathedral ward are good examples.
Sometimes I did go back to the Ward just to see if the NPCs had something different to say.

So has it been confirmed whether leveling up will be through an NPC like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne were handled or via bonfire DS1 style?

Sorry if I missed an obvious post in here somewhere that already answers it. I really hope it's bonfire. Going back to an NPC every time makes no sense with Dark Souls' level design to me.

roytheone

You can pretty much always correct framepacing on PC with RTSS and proper Vsync barring a few rare examples.

GIven the IQ, presumably (if we are talking about the higher resolution captures that a gafr posted earlier).

Great! Now just hope that my rig can get a reasonably stable 60 fps and I am all set to get murdered over and over again! Can't wait!

Gbraga

So, I was thinking back on the Network Test and if any of this new info we got could tie into that and help me understand it a little bit better.

I know it's futile to talk about lore this early, without even playing the game, but I just can't help it, I'm too excited!

I'll put it in spoiler tags, so people who dislike baseless speculation (I don't blame you, I don't like it either) can just skip it.

Ok.

So, during the network test, there were messages in a tombstone kind of thing, pretty much the Dark Souls III version of Bloodborne's lore notes. One in particular reads:

"Fear the sun's temptations, and the winged executioner."

While playing, I assumed it wasn't being said to the player, but instead we were just discovering a message that was meant to someone else, some unknown figure that we'd get to know about during the full game.

The reason for me to completely dismiss it being said to us was basically "What could possibly be tempting about the sun for us?". Not only human, but a Dark Hero on a quest to kill the resurrected Lords of Cinder, and to destroy the Heirs of Fire. I couldn't see what would be the sun's temptations.

But now, in this last batch of informations and screenshots, we have Ludleth of Courland, a self proclaimed Lord of Cinder. How exactly that works, I have no idea, but that's what made me think about this whole thing. For him to be a self proclaimed Lord of Cinder, clearly that means there is some benefit to being one of them. Unlike what Dark Souls made us think, being a Lord of Cinder is more than just being a hollowed carcass of your former self. The most obvious reason to drive men to seek it would be power, I suppose. Linking the flame doesn't only extend the Age of Fire, but also makes you one of "the God Hand", it makes you a powerful Lord of Cinder.

So, even if one doesn't allign with the gods, hell, even if the gods are no more in this world, the power you can achieve by becoming a Lord of Cinder is still enough reason to drive people to link the flame. That would be the sun's temptation.

Which naturally leads us to the ending. They could actually offer us very similar choices to the ones we had in the first game, but presented in completely opposite ways. We know that there is no good and bad ending in Dark Souls, and it's up to interpretation, but the way the game presents both choices in context is clearly Link the Fire = Preservation of Lordran and Dark Lord = Selfish choice for power. By having us as Dark Heroes, hunting down the Lords of Cinder, perhaps even with the task of putting off the First Flame for good this time, finally starting the real age of men, they could offer us the choice of actively putting the fire off, "for the greater good", or linking the flame, despite what our entire journey lead us to believe was the right choice, in search for power. To make ourselves a new (and now probably only) Lord of Cinder.

Again, as I said, baseless speculation that will likely be 120% wrong once the game comes out, but I was thinking about this on my way home from work, and I needed to talk about it. I NEED THIS GAME NOW.

Then don't? It's usually far more effective to focus on dodging than blocking, and my preferred method of playing any Souls game. It's a valid way of playing, but not the only one. There is build variety, what do you think this is, Bloodborne? :p

So has it been confirmed whether leveling up will be through an NPC like Demon's Souls and Bloodborne were handled or via bonfire DS1 style?

Sorry if I missed an obvious post in here somewhere that already answers it. I really hope it's bonfire. Going back to an NPC every time makes no sense with Dark Souls' level design to me.

Not confirmed, but Miyazaki mentioned that it was a separate HUB + interconnected world, like in Bloodborne, so even if there is no level up NPC, it'll most likely be done only at the HUB, which is pretty much the same thing.

Deadstar

I'm excited because it's Miyazaki directing this one, and after Bloodborne, I trust he's going to do something special with this game, too. I prefer the art direction in Bloodborne, but this is also looking great.

This is VERY good to hear......well then, I can't wait to see what he comes up with. DS2 felt like someone making a port of a Dark Souls games. There were things I definitely liked, but overall it didn't have that wow factor.

If it's a seprate hub and interconnected world, does that mean the player can teleport from bonfires from the beginning ? Or was this already mention?

Top Bottom