• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 3 screenshots

Well, I don't disagree about half decent PCs running it easily, but that's true for every tittle this gen so far. But I think the level of detail in Bloodborne is far beyond what we see in this remastered screenshot.

This one? Perhaps. Pick a better looking remastered game and there isnt much of a difference. Tomb Raider DE on the PS4 (or the original on the PC) at 1080p looks about the same as this. Just the textures alone on the screenshots in the OP are very, VERY average if not downright poor. It looks decent but only thing that makes the jaw drop is the art style.

I dont wanna pursue this further cause I think it will derail the thread a bit. So lets just agree to disagree about the quality of the graphics. My point was console parity should be significantly cheaper on the hardware with this than something like The Witcher or RotR.

Gbraga

I'd like to strongly disagree with your spoiler-tagged opinion. DS3 pics look phenomenal because I know how this will look in motion. :)

I can see the appeal for console players, because the higher resolution and framerate make a huge difference, but if you're on PC, honestly, you're better off with DX9 + DLCs, I really dislike most of the changes made. Even visually, I think the new lighting is too exaggerated.

Something about DS3 so far looks quite Demon's Souls-ish but I'm not sure why I feel that way actually. The network test videos had me thinking the same. I love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 equally, so either which way this ends up going, looks fucking great to me so far!

And yes, Bloodborne influence is obvious but I highly doubt that, overall, it'll be overbearing in the end product. Miyazaki seems to have his head screwed on fairly straight and I'd assume he's aware that it'd be a mistake to make this one overly Bloodborne-y throughout.

Gbraga

This one? Perhaps. Pick a better looking remastered game and there isnt much of a difference. Tomb Raider DE on the PS4 (or the original on the PC) at 1080p looks about the same as this. Just the textures alone on the screenshots in the OP are very, VERY average if not downright poor. It looks decent but only thing that makes the jaw drop is the art style.

I dont wanna pursue this further cause I think it will derail the thread a bit. So lets just agree to disagree about the quality of the graphics. My point was console parity should be significantly cheaper on the hardware with this than something like The Witcher or RotR.

It's fine, it's nice to discuss this, and it's an objective subject too, so I'd like to be enlightened if I'm wrong. You can't disagree about how taxing a game is to a system, doesn't matter what you think about it.

About your main point, I absolutely agree with this, but there's a halfway point here. You could easily run last gen games with settings and performance that exceed consoles with hardware that you won't be able to use to run this game on lowest settings. Or at least that's what I think.

A 9800GTX consistently beat the PS360, but I really doubt it could run Dark Souls III on PS4 levels.

It's not just because it's not technically a very demanding game that it's comparable to a PS3 game.

I'd love to be wrong about this, actually, since I'm wondering if I'll be able to run it at 60fps on my current PC, while I have absolutely 0 doubts I'd be able to keep 60fps and probably even some downsampling on The Last of Us.

Something about DS3 so far looks quite Demon's Souls-ish but I'm not sure why I feel that way actually. The network test videos had me thinking the same. I love Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1 equally, so either which way this ends up going, looks fucking great to me so far!

And yes, Bloodborne influence is obvious but I highly doubt that, overall, it'll be overbearing in the end product. Miyazaki seems to have his head screwed on fairly straight and I'd assume he's aware that it'd be a mistake to make this one overly Bloodborne-y throughout.

I definitely agree. It feels a lot like Demon's to me as well, more than any other Soulsborne game, from what I've seen and played.

I've seen some people suggesting that it's just that the game is a combination of the best elements of all Souls games, so people see the one they like the most, but I don't like Demon's nearly as much as I like Dark Souls and Bloodborne, and it still feels that way to me, so I definitely think there's more to it than that.

I don't get the graphic complaints. BB looked great to me. I guess my standards aren't as high or I'm not really sure what next gen games you guys are playing that look so much better.

You know what, to be fair, I haven't been playing many PS4 games other than Bloodborne ever since it came out, so it does make sense that I just don't know better.

depths20XX

I don't get the graphic complaints. BB looked great to me. I guess my standards aren't as high or I'm not really sure what next gen games you guys are playing that look so much better.

Kezen

Banned
Looks dated graphically, but I guess Soul games never were technical achievements in any way.

Ah well, the good news is that 60fps should be piss easy on mid-range PCs.

vilmer_

sQjFBzC.jpg

That's Firelink Shrine alright.

It's going to be a painful 2 months, I might just import the Japanese version. I remember when Dark Souls came out there were a shitload of Japanese players streaming for a good 2 weeks before others got the game. It'll be the same this time around.

It's going to be a painful 2 months, I might just import the Japanese version. I remember when Dark Souls came out there were a shitload of Japanese players streaming for a good 2 weeks before others got the game. It'll be the same this time around.

Is this supposed to be a pre-destruction Firelink Shrine version of the ruined one from Dark Souls 1 or just another location that is also a 'firelink shrine' of many?

I seriously don't know how im gonna hold out. Especially if any of my favorite streamers get the game early..FROM WHY

Gbraga

I REALLY wish they didn't spoil this. Even if it's my fault that I didn't resist and looked at the screenshots.

Sony handled the marketing much better with Bloodborne, the fact that we didn't even know
the actual literary genre it was borrowing from
until it came out was absolutely amazing. A lot of people even get a bit confused about how much was the marketing and how much was the game,
the fact that I'm spoiler tagging it already shows this. The game doesn't really hide for long that it's lovecraftian horror, but people still feel like it's a plot twist, mostly because of the amount of time we followed the game without knowing it. It feels like a plot twist, even though you can find a Madman's Knowledge in minutes.

Bloodborne talk in the spoiler tags, in case people didn't play it yet.

Auctopus

They call it Firelink Shrine but it doesn't look like it much? Only reminiscent in some ways. Maybe a Firelink Shrine from another time flow.

120v

Looks great to me. Better than DS2 at least

Probably belongs in a lore thread but: dat firelink shrine... a firelink or THE firelink?

These screenshots have gotten me really hyped, looks great to me. I don't really mind the technical stuff, From manage to make incredible environments regardless. Even Dark Souls 2 had some stunning areas.

Is that the Dark Sign? In the first shot.

Looks fucking amazing. I wish I didn't see those shots, but I'm very impressed. Getting super excited for this, I'll try to take a few days off work to dedicate myself completely to this.

Possible level up waifu looks great!
Possible level up waifu reminds me of Astraea, please have the voice of the doll and pancake face whose name escapes me.

pixxxelz

Possible level up waifu reminds me of Astraea, please have the voice of the doll and pancake face whose name escapes me.
If she's the level up waifu she better have the same va as the plain doll and maiden in black.

Also is the firelink shrine gonna be a hub area like the hunters dream or the nexus, or is it gonna be same as firelink shrine on DS1?

I'm torn on it. On the one hand, I liked the Nexus. On the other hand, the Emerald Herald was just kind of...eh. On the hand before it, the doll is something to come home to.

I don't know.
Emerald Herald is so trash tier that I keep calling her the "Amber Herald."
Bwuhahahaha you have to deal with level up waifu.
Nothing wrong with the level up waifu. Both the Maiden in Black and the Doll are actually nice.

Emerald Herald is so trash tier that I keep calling her the "Amber Herald."

Nothing wrong with the level up waifu. Both the Maiden in Black and the Doll are actually nice.

I liked Shanalotte personally. I prefer not having to be bothered with a level up waifu at all though, bring back bonfire leveling.

Gbraga

Shanalotte is a great waifu, don't you talk shit about her :C

Yes, she's the best level up voice hands down. I'm still surprised Dark Souls 1 didn't have a level up waifu.

I'm glad it didn't, personally, because I vastly prefer the convenience of leveling up at bonfires, but since you used the word "surprised", I have to agree. Haha.

Fhtagn

I seriously don't know how im gonna hold out. Especially if any of my favorite streamers get the game early..FROM WHY

Yo where were y'all when I made a thread asking if anyone was gonna import and everyone was all "it's just three weeks get some chill yo"

Which is to say, I feel you. Those three weeks are gonna be hell and I'm sure if I don't import something major's gonna get spoiled.

Ferr986

Yes, she's the best level up voice hands down. I'm still surprised Dark Souls 1 didn't have a level up waifu.

That's because they used their common sense in Dark 1.

A level up NPC can make sense in a stage based game like Demons, seeing as how you had to go back to the Nexus no matter what. In Dark and Bloodborne, it adds nothing other than inconvenience (having to wait 2 loading screens, being forced to have teleport from the start...)

Shanalotte is a great waifu, don't you talk shit about her :C

I'm glad it didn't, personally, because I vastly prefer the convenience of leveling up at bonfires, but since you used the word "surprised", I have to agree. Haha.
I think part of my reason for not liking her is just my overall level of "it's ok, but I can't play this anymore" attitude towards DS2, which I'm pretty sure is well documented on this site.
That's because they used their common sense in Dark 1.

A level up NPC can make sense in a stage based game like Demons, seeing as how you had to go back to the Nexus no matter what. In Dark and Bloodborne, it adds nothing other than inconvenience (having to wait 2 loading screens, being forced to have teleport from the start...)
But I liked the Dolls dialogue in Bloodborne. She's pretty much the only thing in that game that you can talk to that you really don't have to run a sword through.

Top Bottom