• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 3 screenshots

Art style and lighting tone reminds me very, very much of Demons' Souls! EXCITE!!

Also, it's fair to point out the obvious: FROM stated they will only be showing off early-game areas but there will be plenty of variety to the maps throughout the game.

For people saying it looks like Bloodborne, I've been playing Demons' Souls, and I' m surorised how much BB pulls from DS. Right down to the tentacle head monsters from the Upper Cathedral Ward that stun you and chomp on you (Tower of Latria).

Or the dogs, fuck the dogs.

All from the same root, let it go.

Gbraga

Man I'm going to miss these weapon transformations in Dark Souls 3.

SpiffyCheeryDobermanpinscher.gif

Anyway, if DS3 is anywhere near half as good as BB we're in for a treat. Especially with all the more expanded RPG elements.

I love the Burial Blade <3

One of my favorite weapons in the game. It was my favorite before the DLC came out.

But, as much as I love the concept of trick weapons, I feel like the battle arts will be more than enough to make up for it.

Gbraga

I'm most curious as to why it seems to e coming out of that giant knight.

They're probably using the PC version for screenshots.

I just want to know why that shit dropped Divine Blessings in the beta.

It hurt me so bad that you couldn't read item descriptions in the network test TT_TT

Peltz

From the screens shows you could make arguments for Demons, Darksouls or Bloodbourne. They all lend from one another, use the same engine and follow similar lines of design. Not exact mark you, similar.

Saying the game looks like only one of the other games is objectively wrong.
Agreed and I don't think there is anything bad about this. Each game still looks very distinct and unique.

HvySky

From the screens shows you could make arguments for Demons, Darksouls or Bloodbourne. They all lend from one another, use the same engine and follow similar lines of design. Not exact mark you, similar.

Saying the game looks like only one of the other games is objectively wrong.

Absolutely. From are incredibly skilled at creating cohesive, familiar experiences across the Souls games, and Bloodborne, while also allowing each entry to assume their own distinct identities.

Gbraga

Nah, they look current gen From-ish.

They aren't the most technically proficient of devs.

The last game they released last gen looked like this:

Looks great to me.

I really don't get this idea that Bloodborne looks like an end of last gen game. At all.

This is what an end of last gen game looked like:

n0wy6kD.jpg

Notice that I didn't pick any random garbage, I picked one of the best. It also ran like shit.

Bloodborne and Dark Souls III look awesome.

I love the Burial Blade <3

One of my favorite weapons in the game. It was my favorite before the DLC came out.

But, as much as I love the concept of trick weapons, I feel like the battle arts will be more than enough to make up for it.

The battle arts...I don't know.

The weapons in Bloodborne were flat out great. It's what made the game out do a lot of action games in their own right.

3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

I was watching some DS3 beta footage and the combat looked so...backstab fishing-ish. I don't know, Bloodborne was an RPG that did action better than most dedicated action games, I hope they don't backtrack from that in DS3.

Manu

Looks great to me.

I really don't get this idea that Bloodborne looks like an end of last gen game. At all.

n0wy6kD.jpg

Notice that I didn't pick any random garbage, I picked one of the best. It also ran like shit.

They do.

I just hate the lack of AA in From's games.

DS2's flat lighting in some areas was terrible too.

GeNoMe

The weapons in Bloodborne were flat out great. It's what made the game out do a lot of action games in their own right.

3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

I was watching some DS3 beta footage and the combat looked so...backstab fishing-ish. I don't know, Bloodborne was an RPG that did action better than most dedicated action games, I hope they don't backtrack from that in DS3.

Holy crap! That gif makes crave a 60 FPS version of Bloodborne so bad!

3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

That's the thing though, Dark Souls has always been a slower paced Action RPG. People going into DS3 expecting it to play like Bloodborne will be disappointed. Bloodborne put the emphasis on fighting back with the change in dodging, regain system and faster combat overall. Dark Souls III is going to have faster combat, sure but is still gonna be Dark Souls.

myco666

Wasn't really feeling Dark Souls 3 but after looking at those screenshots I have to say I got very excited. Fantastic looking stuff.

3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

God that gif is so hypnotizing. Can't stop watching.

Gbraga

3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

This gif doesn't have a single transformation attack, though. It's mostly just because the animations are fantastic and the combat itself is fast (though that gif is a bit sped up).

Backstab/parry fishing is normal, it's a very efficient way to play, after all. I force myself to play in different styles on consecutive playthroughs because it's fun, but with Oedon Writhe +2, I focused on parry~visceral for most of my first Bloodborne playthrough.

Even charged attacks couldn't completely get rid of backstab fishing in Bloodborne, there are some enemies where it's absolutely the most efficient method of fighting them. Even bosses.

They do.

I just hate the lack of AA in From's games.

DS2's flat lighting in some areas was terrible too.

The thing I despise about Bloodborne's visuals is the chromatic aberration. To this day, I can't deal with how much better the prerelease screenshots looked.

Hopefully we'll be able to turn it off on PC if they decide to use it in Dark Souls III. They probably won't, I can see why they'd go with that for Bloodborne. It makes sense, but still looks like shit.

That's the thing though, Dark Souls has always been a slower paced Action RPG. People going into DS3 expecting it to play like Bloodborne will be disappointed. Bloodborne put the emphasis on fighting back with the change in dodging, regain system and faster combat overall. Dark Souls III is going to have faster combat, sure but is still gonna be Dark Souls.

Yeah, and it's not like being slower make it a walk in the park either. Aside from the Old Hunters, nothing in Bloodborne is as challenging to me as O&S in Dark Souls.

The games are very well balanced around their combat pace, so it'll always require your full attention and sharp reaction times.

It wouldn't be backtracking though. Bloodborne and darksouls have a lot in common but they feel very different to play. I prefer bloodborne by quite a lot personally but dark souls 3 with bloodbornes combat wouldn't feel like a dark souls games. The enemy designs and how they move / attack are built around these systems. Dark souls combat will always be slower and feel more backstab fishy as you put it. And it how it should be.

Breads

Banned

http://i.giphy.com/3o85xIswgBJS1OAXOo.gif

What? If you were watching people who were backstab fishing... then sure. That's what it would look like. I played the network test and yeah... backstabs are a thing. This is a souls game. It's in your kit. I don't think it's to the level of DS1 where if you time yourself right or if you fight against NPCs you can chain backstabs, and the detection isn't situational like it was in DS2, but it's still there.

If you're looking for this to be Bloodborne then you are right in tempering your excitement. Because Bloodborne it aint.

jblank83

I wish it didn't look so much like Bloodborne. It's not just models and textures but lighting also. Sort of inevitable given the engine and developer though.

It's beautiful regardless.

Looks great to me.

n0wy6kD.jpg

Bump the resolution and it looks comparable to Fromsofts current gen stuff. Here is the same screenshot at 1080p.

direct-feed-image-7.jpg

I could post Halo 4, Tomb Raider, Gears etc screenshots and 1080p which illustrate the point much better. Especially Tomb Raider on the PC.

Thats not a knock against Fromsoft though, whatever they lack in technical prowess they more than make up for in art direction. But lets be honest, those screenshots dont really scream high end system requirements to me. It looks like a hi res version of a late last gen game. And I imagine any half decent gaming PC should be able to run in VERY easily.

thelastword

Banned
It was looking more like bloodborne with the reveal and the first batch of screens, now it's looking more like the other souls games.

Gbraga

Bump the resolution and it looks comparable to Fromsofts current gen stuff. Here is the same screenshot at 1080p.

direct-feed-image-7.jpg

I could post Halo 4, Tomb Raider, Gears etc screenshots and 1080p which illustrate the point much better. Especially Tomb Raider on the PC.

Thats not a knock against Fromsoft though, whatever they lack in technical prowess they more than make up for in art direction. But lets be honest, those screenshots dont really scream high end system requirements to me. It looks like a hi res version of a late last gen game. And I imagine any half decent gaming PC should be able to run in VERY easily.

Well, I don't disagree about half decent PCs running it easily, but that's true for every title this gen so far. But I think the level of detail in Bloodborne is far beyond what we see in this remastered screenshot.

This gif doesn't have a single transformation...

...Apologies, here:

giphy.gif

Trick weapons added a second entire layer of depth to each individual weapon. I'm just not feeling the battle arts. Especially since they are tied down to mana...seems limited and ultimately most people playing DS3 stress test did better when they just ignored the system entirely. But look, I enjoyed DeS and DS1, so I'm capable of liking DS3 even if the combat goes back to - honestly - what I consider a bit prodding. But it's got so many other things going for it so I'll like it. But Bloodborne's combat is not in parallel with Dark Souls, it's the next advancement, and it's shame they aren't building upon it. It effectively retained all the strategy and planning, but was immensely more urgent, twitch based and ultimately a lot more fun. I love action games like DMC, Ninja Gaiden etc., and the joy of playing Bloodborne as an action game was equivalent to those genre defining titles.

Wasn't really feeling Dark Souls 3 but after looking at those screenshots I have to say I got very excited. Fantastic looking stuff.
God that gif is so hypnotizing. Can't stop watching.

I know right...

PbMhe5I.gif

1442301470-bloodborne.gif

But don't worry Dark Souls 3 gifs look cool too...

Dark-Souls-3-beta.gif

And a final point, from software has never pushed visuals in any of their releases. Most of what looks good is mostly just good, consistent art design. Bloodborne from a visual / tech standpoint was doing some pretty cool things but I chalk that more up to Sony's involvement and help considering the game was built only for the PS4.

Well, I don't disagree about half decent PCs running it easily, but that's true for every tittle this gen so far. But I think the level of detail in Bloodborne is far beyond what we see in this remastered screenshot.

Of that, there's no doubt. BB doesn't remotely look like a last-gen game. The same will be true of DS3.

tcrunch

That Kirkhammer gif got me so hyped... <3

Hate the weapon, though, haha.

Kirkhammer is great! I did a L12 run of the chalices with it to get Beast Claw and I learned a lot about it.

Of course...Beast Claw is also good...

So is saw cleaver...

Shower me in weapons!

Gbraga

Kirkhammer is great! I did a L12 run of the chalices with it to get Beast Claw and I learned a lot about it.

Of course...Beast Claw is also good...

So is saw cleaver...

Shower me in weapons!

Kirkhammer is awesome against Rom, I'll give you that.

Easy sweet spots.

I'm doing my first Beast Claw playthrough on NG+3 now, having a blast. Using Embrace though, never used vanilla Beast Claw.

tcrunch

Kirkhammer is awesome against Rom, I'll give you that.

Easy sweet spots.

I'm doing my first Beast Claw playthrough on NG+3 now, having a blast. Using Embrace though, never used vanilla Beast Claw.

I haven't played SOTFS or Old Hunters yet because I am a bad person.

kvn

Fingers crossed that it'll be a worthy end for the trilogy combining the best from DS1 and 2 while having none of their flaws.

I love the Kirkhammer. Might not be the most effective weapon in the game but it's definitely one of the most satisfying to user. You also look like a badass when you land transform attacks.

Only thing im hoping they fix from the network test is the atrocious strafe while locked animation. It's way too fast and makes the player look like they're gliding across the ground. BB and Dark Souls 1 didn't have this problem but it's reared is ugly head again in this one like in 2. Curious since the game shares the most animations with DS1. As long as the animation qualify is as snappy/well designed and the gameplay/boss fights are as engaging as the previous Miyazaki offerings ill be content. Good lore and amazing world design is icing on the cake.

Top Bottom