• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New details on The Evil Within from Game Informer

nullref

I have a soft spot for Mikami game plots. I know they aren't objectively great, but I find them interesting, the cinematography to be well done, and the story to be well implemented, not taking up too much time with cutscenes and the narrative expanded and maybe even more focused in environment details and files. He also creates hammy but likable characters.

So while the actual plot usually isn't anything spectacular, I find the execution to be good, and enjoy unraveling the individual elements of it, as the elements are usually more interesting than the whole. They have enjoyable B-plots that might not win any awards, but compliment the games nicely.

Yeah, I think a lot of game story criticism in general is misguided. The story elements in Mikami games may not be amazing, but they are functional, in that:

• They are not boring, and often even amusing
  • They are unobtrusive
  • As a means of establishing tone, they are complimentary to the game as a whole

This is more than can be said for a lot of game stories.

-There are invisible enemies that look human, but have the head of an Octopus. They're completely invisible, but you can use things like water ripples, footsteps, and the like to locate or evade them.

Invisible enemies in a horror game, my favorite. >,<

Yeah, I think a lot of game story criticism in general is misguided. The story elements in Mikami games may not be amazing, but they are functional, in that:

• They are unobtrusive
  • As a means of establishing tone, they are complimentary to the game as a whole

I agree, though Vanquish would be the exception.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

• They are unobtrusive

True and true, and again, I'd say the stories do what they set out to do, with the exception of RE1, who's story I think was made unintentionally more hilarious due to the acting.

But I enjoyed reading the files and watching the cinematics in all the games, and found myself attached to characters. The one thing I'd say is that Mikami game endings are usually very brief.

However, I'll be curious how Evil Within's story will go. This is the first time I've seen Mikami both mention a game's story pre-release multiple times, and even has said he's been hush on it on purpose to keep secret and hopes people enjoy it, and that'll you'll need to finish the game more than once to properly understand everything. So I'm curious.

kodecraft

PC version is a must and yes I've thought about last gen as well. Actually on second thought, just gonna cancel all my pre-orders and go replay Resident Evil 6 ;)

Hey now RE6 is my sh*t. I know it gets alot of hate around here but I love the mechanics. And I personally want The Evil Within to be RE4 meets Dead Space, I love Mikami's work and this is a day one digital purchase for me.

Dusk Golem

I've already bought three copies and a season pass, all for Steam though as I have two copies of TEW away to SteamGAF.

Will probably buy one more copy for a friend and maybe a physical copy if I like it a whole lot.

Hey now RE6 is my sh*t. I know it gets alot of hate around here but I love the mechanics. And I personally want The Evil Within to be RE4 meets Dead Space, I love Mikami's work and this is a day one digital purchase for me.

I enjoy RE6 :p So no worries.

I've already bought three copies and a season pass, all for Steam though as I have two copies of TEW away to SteamGAF.

You bought two copies to give away to SteamGAF? That's really nice of you, unless I'm totally reading that wrong. I'm not familair with SteamGAF.

Dusk Golem

I enjoy RE6 :p So no worries.

You bought two copies to give away to SteamGAF? That's really nice of you, unless I'm totally reading that wrong. I'm not familair with SteamGAF.

Two copies and given through ModBot. SteamGAF is extremely generous, games given away all the time.

Yes. It's goddamn annoying, too.

People have some wierd priorities these days. Next thing you know they'll be in here trying to tell us Sebastian looks like this:

y9peVdc.png

Since I don't have a PS4 and I don't want to pay full price for a digital only game on PC I'll get this on PS3. Can't wait to play it. It's too close to Bayonetta 2 release though :(

Dusk Golem

Since I don't have a PS4 and I don't want to pay full price for a digital only game on PC I'll get this on PS3. Can't wait to play it. It's too close to Bayonetta 2 release though :(
If you're in the US or UK, there's a 25% off coupon you can use on Evil Within until tomorrow on GMG.

If you're in the US or UK, there's a 25% off coupon you can use on Evil Within until tomorrow on GMG.

I saw, but it would still be too much. I don't want to pay more than 20€ for a digital only game.

Another reason is that Wolfenstein TNO didn't run that well on my PC, and since TEW uses the same engine it could have the same problems.

Guys I played the shit out of The Evil Within at the GAME lock-in event. Holy shit.

Gonna put my thoughts down in a new thread, but the early verdict is two thumbs up!

Dusk Golem

Guys I played the shit out of The Evil Within at the GAME lock-in event. Holy shit.

Gonna put my thoughts down in a new thread, but the early verdict is two thumbs up!
Happy you enjoyed it like I did. Guessing the same demo I played, but maybe something else?

Now join me in the, "I loved what I played, now I have to wait a month for it to come out," brigade.

Happy you enjoyed it like I did. Guessing the same demo I played, but maybe something else?

Now join me in the, "I loved what I played, now I have to wait a month for it to come out," brigade.

Yes. It's the mansion demo. Loved it. Played for an hour and a half. Beat it on both difficulties.

One thing I can say is that if you played this at a trade show for ten minutes, then you will barely get a feel for the controls.

Majora

I was there too - really interested to hear what you liked about it because I was a bit disappointed but still have faith due to Mikami's involvement mainly. Truth be told, anyone else behind it and I would probably have lost most of my interest.

ive been really looking forward to this game for a while now, i watched the video bethesda released earlier this year and since then i have stayed away from extensively watching or reading anything about this title, ive seen a few things and have read about the randomization of enemies but otherwise im in the dark, it looks great and it always has to me,

AsfaeksBR

Who's making the OT?

And I found a place to Pre-Order and (with a lot of luck), get it 1 day before release.
Gonna pre-order a PS4 copy, and I really hope I'll get my PS4 in the beginning of next month!

-MD-

Yes. It's the mansion demo. Loved it. Played for an hour and a half. Beat it on both difficulties.

One thing I can say is that if you played this at a trade show for ten minutes, then you will barely get a feel for the controls.

Awesome, looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

I was there too - really interested to hear what you liked about it because I was a bit disappointed but still have faith due to Mikami's involvement mainly. Truth be told, anyone else behind it and I would probably have lost most of my interest.

Impressions! Tell us what you didn't like about it.

Korigama

Your banned now I see so no idea if you'll read this or not, but I would have given your post some actually merit had you waited to say this after the game was release and you played it. Then I see you talking about "hoping" the game flops, and wanting it to end his career and it's no wonder your banned. Maybe it's a perma ban, or just a few months, but either way. Guess we won't be hearing back from you. Remember, Oct 14th good sir!
He was a junior. He's not coming back from that.

Just saw the GI scans.

So we know now what this monster is

EvilWithin_5.png

Spoiler:

it's not the rumored invisible Giant Octopus monster

Edit: Just gave a second glance at the GI scans. Actually we don't.

Still i'm really curious about this one

character-shigyo.jpg

This is probably the first time i'm actually intrigued by the lore and story plot from a Shinji Mikami game, so kudos to him just for that.

Top Bottom