• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New disappointment discovered : No Man's Sky (CrowbCat)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Why wouldn't this just go in the review thread? Does there need to be another thread for people who don't like a video game to collectively get angry about said video game?

You must be new here. the hype always over shadows peoples misgivings and "this is not my game, this is not my home, this is not my beautiful wife" syndrome.

Fergie

Banned
Absolutely savage video. Got me feeling sympathetic.

Although people getting fanatic over a video game is a bit cringe.

oti

Banned
I remember Brandon Jones and he was right and how frustrated I was with the other people on GT Live.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
$60
AAA marketing campaign
Limited edition

People were fooled into thinking this was not a simple little indie game.

Nobody was fooled. Marketing shouldn't trick you. We actually SEEN the game before release.

Teknoman

That video hit the nail on the head.
I pre-ordered this game from PSN store and can personally state that I can't remember the last time I've been deceived and disappointed in any game for a very long time.
The game is a total piece of shit and I don't trust the studio to ever fix it.

I still think that's way too harsh. Sonic 2006, Superman 64, Rogue Warrior, Action 52, etc. are games that deserve that moniker. It's not the ultimate game, but it's no where near "total shit" either.

Why wouldn't this just go in the review thread? Does there need to be another thread for people who don't like a video game to collectively get angry about said video game?
Another thread for special flowers to tell us they never bought into the hype cuz they're so smart and love Mass Effect.

I can't believe I defended this game leading up to release... After playing several hours of it, honestly, all the people saying "what do you actually do in this game" were right.

Except Indie games are usually far more revolutionary and innovative than any other type of game.

I mean, there was Minecraft and then...

uh.

There's some decent retro throwbacks and even walking simulators by indies, but no game by a team of ten something people was going to outdo an AAA production for a project focused solely on making a big world work.

giphy.gif

Kilau

Looooong video, most of the footage I had never seen because I never really bought into this hype train.

I always thought the game looked awesome though.

It's funny people would get shat on so badly any time they asked on GAF "But what do you actually do in this game?" or compared it to Spore yet it seems exactly the right question and exactly the right comparison.

RoKKeR

Just finished... wow. Almost has me feeling bad for the developer. I'm glad some people are enjoying it but overall... what a shitshow.

TheRed

I really like the game but that's because my expectations were pretty on point to what we got. I didn't really pay attention to these presentations and this video makes it damningly clear he was too caught up in his own game and fabricating lies or the game got seriously gutted in development and he kept up the facade to get praise everywhere and to sell a bunch more copies. Either way it's pretty bad. And I'm one that thinks the game is really good and I can't even defend him here.

I can't believe I defended this game leading up to release... After playing several hours of it, honestly, all the people saying "what do you actually do in this game" were right.

But the game is what a lot of people thought it was. I knew what "you actually do" and now that I've played it, yep that's what you do in this game. People let their imaginations run wild and, in fairness, Sony and Hello didn't really check them like they could have, but to a reasonable person what you do in this game was pretty clear. Doesn't mean you can't dislike the end result.

Formosa

I never understood the hype people got caught up in for a goddamn indie title. This never was going to deliver the revolution people were imagining, solely based on common sense. The backlash was predestined.

Agreed!! There is a reason why this game is rated like 6/10.

EmiPrime

Savage, one of CrowbCat's best.

I am shocked that so many fell for the bs surrounding this game. Brandon was spot on but the deception was obvious.

Hopefully Sean learns a lesson and doesn't become a Molyneux. Yeah, people shouldn't have been expecting an indie game with a team that size to make something beyond their capabilities. But Sean also clearly misrepresented the game often in interviews. There's no ecology, or if there is it's so simple that using that word is still ridiculous. The comparison to Dark Souls and Journey seem to be a flat-out lie.

The game could have been priced at $30 and Sean could have been more forthcoming about the scope of the game and it could have still been a success while not ruining the dev's reputation.

Savage, one of CrowbCat's best.

I am shocked that so many fell for the bs surrounding this game. Brandon was spot on but the deception was obvious.

Bet that guy feels vindicated as hell now. Has he done a review, or has that panel done a follow-up video?

sazzy

Because Sean was intentionally evasive about gameplay specifics, people filled in the blanks and let their imaginations run wild.

Reality never exceeds expectations.

But the game is what a lot of people thought it was. I knew what "you actually do" and now that I've played it, yep that's what you do in this game. People let their imaginations run wild and, in fairness, Sony and Hello didn't really check them like they could have, but to a reasonable person what you do in this game was pretty clear. Doesn't mean you can't dislike the end result.

Just look at the trailer footage compiled in this video, though... way more stuff happening than in the actual game. Bigger, more varied creatures. More lush environments. Huge space battles. Crashed freighters. And that's not even counting stuff that was only talked about and didn't have footage.

Hupsel

Props to Brandon Jones for not falling for the hype!

Marketing, sony stans and bs hype was way too much. People saying that this game could "change gaming forever"... lol... guys dont be naive... from the start... let the developer prove itself with a very good first game, THEN you can get a little bit hyped. And no, Joe Danger doesn´t count. Cool game but completely different scope when compared to NMS. Also, Sean Murray isn´t Miyamoto to redefine gaming. He is probably laughing at everyone that fell for the hype and bought the game, doesn´t matter if they complain on forums or not, he still gets your money and doesn´t care a bit if you are enjoying it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom