• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New disappointment discovered : No Man's Sky (CrowbCat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of already knew what to expect from the game before release and I like it for what it is, although it does need to get the shit patched out of it especially on PC.

There's definitely plenty of blame for Hello Games though, they both overpromised and were deliberately vague, which left a huge amount of room for speculation and hype that could never be matched.

this brings it to the point in 30 seconds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvAwB7ogkik

RFiJNyN.gif

mrqs

That sucks in so many ways. I feel really bad for Sean Murray and the Hello Games team. Obviously they tried as hard as they could to make the best game possible, just didn't worked out.

If the team was transparent about it's problems and said clearly "there's no way to find another person" even on the day the game released, would be better.

I just can't trust them, and i did. My faith on indie developers is vanishing, now i don't trust anyone.

No Man's Sky seems to be "yet another indie survival game but with space stuff this time"

It's hitting most of the same points as elite dangerous but with more resource gathering, less space trucking and worse combat, at the same price point as E:D

World's widest puddle.

I like NMS and I never felt deceived by the marketing before it but I also didn't build up expectations for it outside of what they showed

Steam store shows you are wrong. Completely wrong.

people put pineapple on their pizza

this does not taint all pizza and make it all garbage, only the pineapple pizza is tainted (and garbage)

smaller/"indie" games are able to experiment more because of a variety of reasons. They don't make an assassins creed style game and experiment within that, they make something like VVVVVVVVV and do a couple of interesting things really well.

soultron

Banned
So, basically:
- HG/Sean Murray was trotted out to the press a lot, answered questions when they probably shouldn't have since they were still working on the game. (Seeing other players, for example.)
- Footage of reactions to the game being shown too much at press events like E3.
- Controversy relating to the sticker on the CE box and MP.
- Performance and crashing.

It's kind of a sad attempt to kick a developer who probably was forced into the limelight by a publisher who helped them up on their shoulders thinking this was going to be the next Minecraft. They're still working on fixing issues. I think everyone suffered overexposure (it was shown too many times) to NMS before it was released, allowing expectations to run wild. To say you're displeased with something is fine, but I'm starting to grow so tired of crowbcat's uneven shtick "critique" (if you can even call it that) especially when focused on such a small development team that tried to make something so large.

That sucks in so many ways. I feel really bad for Sean Murray and the Hello Games team. Obviously they tried as hard as they could to make the best game possible, just didn't worked out.

If the team was transparent about it's problems and said clearly "there's no way to find another person" even on the day the game released, would be better.

I just can't trust them, and i did. My faith on indie developers is vanishing, now i don't trust anyone.

My honest guess on this is that because the game was shown so often and Murray was questioned on things that at the time probably were true, the game was still being worked on and things like seeing other players didn't make the final cut of the game.

Players being able to see each other in any game is a huge task with respect to networking replication and even game design rules:
- What happens when I land my ship on top of yours?
- Do I see you switching your weapon?
- If I'm standing on a rock and you harvest it/change the shape, do I fall?
- If we both harvest a resource at the same time, what happens?
- What happens when I log out if you're looking at me?
- Do we need to have resource trading between two players? Does this create issues of balance/exploiting?
- Do we need to create player character models and animate them from the client/host perspective?
- Etc. etc.

Perhaps Murray answered this without really knowing if it was going to ship with the final game. Perhaps it's still coming to the game!

We don't really know what happened, but my guess is that he spoke on things when he probably shouldn't have, similar to the Molyneux days of old.

kiguel182

That GT guy was really annoying back then and he still is.

I will probably buy this once it gets a bit cheaper. What the game does tech wise is still one of the most impressive things ever attempted in video-games even if the gameplay isn't exactly up there with it. Hopefully patches will help.

The way the game trailers dude was getting beat up. I can only imagine him watching that with a huge grin on his face. The crashing on PS4 section, good grief. I was so close to grabbing it on PC even after the PS4 launch but I'll wait it out. Even with lowered expectations I expect to have fun with the game but not while it's a technical mess.

I glad I never bought the hype on this. I feel like a quieter version of the guy in that panel asking "But what do you do? There's not infinite things... there's... 8 or 9 things you can do. You can go to a planet, get off your ship, collect stuff, and then keep doing that..."

While watching the videos for this I never felt like there was a moment where I got a sense of what the point of the game was, outside of a cool looking tech demo about the universe. Which could definitely appeal to people, but I'm glad I didn't get hyped up thinking there was more because I'm not disappointed.

I feel like the game shoudl have been released in an early access release program like Day-Z or Ark, where there wasn't a lot to do in either of those games, but they weren't hyped to hell by publishers, they just released them and let people make their own stories, and the hype didn't cause a lot of backlash.

I also feel bad for Sean Murray watching these interviews... I kind of wonder what drove him to be misleading with so many of the questions and answers. I think it's the same thing that drove Molyneux to be misleading about Fable... he had a vision in his mind of what he wanted the game to be, and then said "this is what we're going to build," and then when it seemed like that wasn't possible, instead of changing the vision in his mind with what was realistically possible, he just doubled-down on the vision and restated it. I think when you're in the weeds of development it might be difficult to see the forest from the trees, but that doesn't excuse being misleading about a product that you're ultimately selling for money.

kobu

I felt the same way Brandon did at the time and I ended up liking the game as well. I guess having realistic expectations goes a long way.

Just got to the part where it starts talking about the centre of the galaxy and paused it. Can someone who has watched the rest of the video tell me if it spoils what is at the centre?

Just look at the trailer footage compiled in this video, though... way more stuff happening than in the actual game. Bigger, more varied creatures. More lush environments. Huge space battles. Crashed freighters. And that's not even counting stuff that was only talked about and didn't have footage.

Thst had nothing to do with "what you do" in the game though. It was pretty clear early on that this was going to be a resource gathering game. Go from planet to planet, upgrading your equipment so that you can travel further and further, rinse/repeat. That's pretty much the game we got. Again, that's not to say the game can't be disappointed, there's aspects of it that have greatly disappointed me (the sluggish controls and convoluted menu/inventory systems for one) but it like others have said it definitelyfeels like people on both sides have let themselves get way too invested and attached to the game, the ones that bought into the hype and let their imaginations run wild and thought this would be the only game they'd ever need, and the ones that wanted so badly to see this whole thing blown up so they could be there to tell everyone "I told you so"! Somewhere in the middle there is some reasonable and interesting discussions to be had about NMS but the damage is already done and the game is so incredibly polarizing (and admittedly a lot of that is on Sony/Hello) that you'll probably never get any sane discourse.

Miasma

I'm glad i avoided the hype train for this one, from what i have played so far (PS4 Power supply has failed) I have enjoyed it but then i didn't expect as much as other people seemed to.

Nabbis

Im amused at this game gaining so much traction while something like Space Engineers is basically a better version of it.

Marketing can truly sell even shit as a luxury product.

But the game is what a lot of people thought it was. I knew what "you actually do" and now that I've played it, yep that's what you do in this game. People let their imaginations run wild and, in fairness, Sony and Hello didn't really check them like they could have, but to a reasonable person what you do in this game was pretty clear. Doesn't mean you can't dislike the end result.

Even knowing what you would do, it's just bad at what you do. I would have been more than fine with the basic gameplay loop if it weren't so cumbersome and repetitive.

I can't even venture out in a random direction because I get out of range of my ship and die eventually.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Oh well. This video is harsh but true I guess. Glad I didn't buy it, even if I still kinda want to play it.

So, basically:
- HG/Sean Murray was trotted out to the press a lot, answered questions when they probably shouldn't have since they were still working on the game. (Seeing other players, for example.)
- Footage of reactions to the game being shown too much at press events like E3.
- Controversy relating to the sticker on the CE box and MP.
- Performance and crashing.

It's kind of a sad attempt to kick a developer who probably was forced into the limelight by a publisher who helped them up on their shoulders thinking this was going to be the next Minecraft. They're still working on fixing issues. I think everyone suffered overexposure (it was shown too many times) to NMS before it was released, allowing expectations to run wild. To say you're displeased with something is fine, but I'm starting to grow so tired of crowbcat's uneven shtick "critique" (if you can even call it that) especially when focused on such a small development team that tried to make something so large.

They sold it at retail price. It's a retail game. It could have be made by one bloke and this video would still be warranted with how fucked the launch was.

I've had a crash or two and one animal clipping through the ground, but never that many glitches on that scale, damn O_O
I was never planning to buy it anyway. >.>

Hey at least you're being honest about it. I wish the tons of other posters flooding every thread with concern/shit posting on the game would own up to never intending to buy it or play it in the first place.
They sold it at retail price. It's a retail game. It could have be made by one bloke and this video would still be warranted with how fucked the launch was.

Ah, there it is, the hyperbole of the thread.

Dude, I'm sure publishers WISH they could pay one guy to make a game of this scale. Get real.

Bulby

I love that at the start people said 'you cant demo this game in 20 minutes'.

Turns out that 20 minutes is literally it

213372bu

Banned
Thst had nothing to do with "what you do" in the game though. It was pretty clear early on that this was going to be a resource gathering game. Go from planet to planet, upgrading your equipment so that you can travel further and further, rinse/repeat. That's pretty much the game we got. Again, that's not to say the game can't be disappointed, there's aspects of it that have greatly disappointed me (the sluggish controls and convoluted menu/inventory systems for one) but it like others have said it definitelyfeels like people on both sides have let themselves get way too invested and attached to the game, the ones that bought into the hype and let their imaginations run wild and thought this would be the only game they'd ever need, and the ones that wanted so badly to see this whole thing blown up so they could be there to tell everyone "I told you so"! Somewhere in the middle there is some reasonable and interesting discussions to be had about NMS but the damage is already done and the game is so incredibly polarizing (and admittedly a lot of that is on Sony/Hello) that you'll probably never get any sane discourse.
The trailers, showing animals chasing each other and big monolith sized animals roaming the horizon, weren't meant to advertise the game?

The fact that it was labeled a resource-collecting game was suppose to mean that any advertised features should be ignored.

That was a pretty funny video.

Normally I would feel bad for the devs cause I dont ever see their reputation recovering from this. But they did bring a lot of it on themselves and all the money they are swimming in will make up for some of the harsh stuff being said.

I was never fond of the concept and the procedural gameplay was something I've never liked but I think people are at a mistake of not controlling their expectations. Technical issues aside, the game offered more or less what I expected minus the questionable multiplayer element.

$60
AAA marketing campaign
Limited edition

People were fooled into thinking this was not a simple little indie game.

It was extremely obvious how meh to bad the game would turn out for everyone who has been paying attention. I was skeptical because they never showed any fun gameplay footage.

GAF was pretty emberassing , rediculing the "But what do you do"-crowd, which...admittedly...should have phrased their concerns better. People were so militant about NMS, it reminded me of The Order's fanbase.

Sean Murray has been aping Pete Hines quite a bit though.

ghibli99

Not sure if it's the context of the video, but Sean Murray never looks like he believes in this game when he talks about it, or he looks really worried about the reality of the game vs. the expectations. I do not envy the position he's in, but I do hope that he doesn't despair, and that the team stays on track to keep making improvements to it.

Lakitu

st5fu
Man, some of the stuff they demoed beforehand doesn't even come close to what I've discovered in the game itself. So disappointing. I mean, was that the code at some point or was it just fabricated?

Sini

But the game is what a lot of people thought it was. I knew what "you actually do" and now that I've played it, yep that's what you do in this game.

I wasn't much interested at all and thought I had no idea what you'd do in this game, but it turned out I knew pretty much everything.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The problem here is that someone confused infinitely spawnable planet terrains with being able to do infinite things and with having infinite content that 'even we don't know about' ( per the dev). The procedural generation is not deep enough to live up to the suggested possibility of those statements.

Sadly I think hello games knew this. But the hype was so easy to sell. People got so excited by the suggestion. And they just rolled with it. They were encouraged to do so by the wide eyed excitement of their audience, the media and the scent of success. It's hard to pull the handbrake on that snowball once it starts.

I say this as someone who likes the game but who saw this coming a mile off. My only hope is that it doesn't poison the well for other games that use 'procedural generation' later , that could more convincingly deliver on the promise. Tech will get better. I think in this case people were too willing to believe in magic - tech they didn't fully understand - and they weren't discouraged by the devs. It might be arguable the devs were exploitative of tech naïveté. But the baby shouldn't go out with the bath water.

Maxrunner

Is this Sony's fault? I wonder if they're the ones who rushed the game? Maybe next time just release the game on pc first before attaching to a console maker for full freedom?
Maybe another year would make this good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom