• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New disappointment discovered : No Man's Sky (CrowbCat)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's kind of a sad attempt to kick a developer who probably was forced into the limelight by a publisher who helped them up on their shoulders thinking this was going to be the next Minecraft.

Quality of this video aside, I don't buy the "poor devs, mean pubs" argument. I've heard this said before, but I'm not going to blame the publisher when most of this stuff people are complaining about came straight out of the developers. And highly doubt the dev was feeling bad about this relationship as they were taking handfuls of money from the publisher so they could work on the game for years, and soaking up tons of exposure they never would have been able to receive otherwise, just to have then turn around and say, "You ruined our game!" The criticism has to fall on the devs and the product they created.

Teknoman

That was a pretty funny video.

Normally I would feel bad for the devs cause I dont ever see their reputation recovering from this. But they did bring a lot of it on themselves and all the money they are swimming in will make up for some of the harsh stuff being said.

If they pull a Final Fantasy XIV or Unreal Tournament 3 and patch the hell out of it with content, sure they can.

Menthuss

Because Sean was intentionally evasive about gameplay specifics, people filled in the blanks and let their imaginations run wild.

Reality never exceeds expectations.

Dude, what? The thread's video shows Murray was flat out lying with regards to some of the gameplay features, like players being able to see eachother or resource harvesting being optional.

Negativity as usual is just more entertaining...

Way to go, really sticking it to the man and letting gamers know what's really going on here. Fine job

Brandon Jones really nailed the game on the head and those that see the game as the second coming of Jesus just can't have a rational thought about the game. For fanatics, it was perfect when it was shown and it is perfect now. Despite it being just another survival game.

Paasei

And yet I still want to play it... Something is wrong with me. Let us hope it will ever get fixed so it will run and has the features that were promised.

Also a planet with so much life in a crowder area. Did that actually happen to anyone of you who has played the game?

Flintty

Holy fuck that was as equally funny as it was brutal. I enjoyed that.

Despite not living up to the hype and bad info though, I still think it's a game I'll enjoy if/when I get to play it.

TimmiT

I think accusing Sean of lying is going too far. Games can change a lot during development and things don't always end up as well as the developers hoped or stuff gets cut.

At the same time, he could have done a much better job setting the right expectations. Then again, maybe people shouldn't have expected an incredibly well polished game in which you can find "infinite worlds" with a shitton of variety and well developed mechanics from a low budget game made by 15 people. I wouldn't even expect that much from an AAA game by a 300 people team at this point.

Moreche

When people ask what can you do, to be honest I'd have been happy if the gameplay was the same as it was today but they didn't skip the finer details.
Yes I would have loved MP maybe even when you come across somebody's grave you can see the last few seconds of their death as a ghost or maybe leaving some sort of ship in a bottle message for other players or even have the distress signals being given out by stuck players and having the opportunity to go in a help them.
The game was always about getting to the centre using survival and discovery but the problem with discovery is that it only works once so you need to ensure that the building, aliens, alien technology and ships are always changing as you move to the centre.
But for me Sean really missed the mark on the creatures and how they react and look. For me NMS will always be that E3 2014 video and it died when it couldn't match that.

213372bu

Banned
Animals actually do attack each other. I don't know about giant sand snakes though.

They do attack each other, but absolutely nothing like a gazelle-like creatures running as a predator stalks it.

I was more so attacking the argument that NinjaScooter's claim that the content in the trailers and demos no way are supposed to represent the game.

It's a ludicrous line of thought for anyone except for the devs/marketing team etc..

Kyou

D6l8fu1.gif

Sanjuro

Picked up No Man's Sky after some downtime this weekend.

Have been considering dropping the game.

...watched this video after closing application...

jfFZEyK.png

Molemitts

I'm pretty sure I remember loads of people being angry at that GamerTrailers dude for questioning the game.

Games journalists should never be brought in by hype, though. They are meant to be critiquing games.

tuxfool

Banned
My honest guess on this is that because the game was shown so often and Murray was questioned on things that at the time probably were true, the game was still being worked on and things like seeing other players didn't make the final cut of the game.

Players being able to see each other in any game is a huge task with respect to networking replication and even game design rules:
- What happens when I land my ship on top of yours?
- Do I see you switching your weapon?
- If I'm standing on a rock and you harvest it/change the shape, do I fall?
- If we both harvest a resource at the same time, what happens?
- What happens when I log out if you're looking at me?
- Do we need to have resource trading between two players? Does this create issues of balance/exploiting?
- Do we need to create player character models and animate them from the client/host perspective?
- Etc. etc.

Perhaps Murray answered this without really knowing if it was going to ship with the final game. Perhaps it's still coming to the game!

We don't really know what happened, but my guess is that he spoke on things when he probably shouldn't have, similar to the Molyneux days of old.

The way I look at this is that changes are all fine. The feature in or out is fine.

However, Just respond honestly about the feature when the game is shipped.

charsace

But the game is what a lot of people thought it was. I knew what "you actually do" and now that I've played it, yep that's what you do in this game. People let their imaginations run wild and, in fairness, Sony and Hello didn't really check them like they could have, but to a reasonable person what you do in this game was pretty clear. Doesn't mean you can't dislike the end result.
This game is mediocre at best compared to what else is in the genre.

Ultimadrago

The very ending where
gaming's greatest disappointments fade into the Center

I am laughing too loud in the office.

Ah, there it is, the hyperbole of the thread.

Dude, I'm sure publishers WISH they could pay one guy to make a game of this scale. Get real.

What the hell are you talking about? That wasn't my point at all.

Then again you knew that and still decided to act a knob, so I'm not even going to bother refuting what you said.

Hasney

Heh, Brandon Jones' rant getting some screentime and he's the guy that is enjoying the game. Clearly was the right approach, although I got what you do from the trailers and footage. Walk around, explore and mine shit, fly around, repeat. Lovely fun.

Moreche

The way I look at this is that changes are all fine. The feature in or out is fine.

However, Just respond honestly about the feature when the game is shipped.
Or maybe put your hands up and release it as an early access looking for community feedback and improve it as you push on.

QaaQer

Hopefully Sean learns a lesson and doesn't become a Molyneux. Yeah, people shouldn't have been expecting an indie game with a team that size to make something beyond their capabilities. But Sean also clearly misrepresented the game often in interviews. There's no ecology, or if there is it's so simple that using that word is still ridiculous. The comparison to Dark Souls and Journey seem to be a flat-out lie.

The game could have been priced at $30 and Sean could have been more forthcoming about the scope of the game and it could have still been a success while not ruining the dev's reputation.

Bet that guy feels vindicated as hell now. Has he done a review, or has that panel done a follow-up video?

He is multi-millionaire now. What lesson do you want him to learn?

Deadstar

In one of the videos someone asks him point blank if you can play with another player and he says yes, so it seems that multiplayer was working at some point. I hope they add it back so you could play with at least one friend.

Props to Brandon Jones for not falling for the hype!

Marketing, sony stans and bs hype was way too much. People saying that this game could "change gaming forever"... lol... guys dont be naive... from the start... let the developer prove itself with a very good first game, THEN you can get a little bit hyped. And no, Joe Danger doesn´t count. Cool game but completely different scope when compared to NMS. Also, Sean Murray isn´t Miyamoto to redefine gaming. He is probably laughing at everyone that fell for the hype and bought the game, doesn´t matter if they complain on forums or not, he still gets your money and doesn´t care a bit if you are enjoying it or not.

I don't get the hate. The game is fine but not some magical answer to everyone's gaming dreams. I would say no man sky is a good game just not something that everyone will like. I agree don't let hype overrule good judgement but at the same time, you don't need to burn Sean Murray at the stake for under delivering on an ambitious game.

sonto340

The trailers, showing animals chasing each other and big monolith sized animals roaming the horizon, weren't meant to advertise the game?

The fact that it was labeled a resource-collecting game was suppose to mean that any advertised features should be ignored.

Excuse me, ahahahaha.
I literally just watched a family of Dinosaur like hunters chase down some goat esque grazers. Later in the same planet I saw some of dinosaurs from earlier but they were HUGE. it's fine to not like something, but Jesus, people are so quick to try and tell people they're wrong for liking something they like.

Quality of this video aside, I don't buy the "poor devs, mean pubs" argument. I've heard this said before, but I'm not going to blame the publisher when most of this stuff people are complaining about came straight out of the developers. And highly doubt the dev was feeling bad about this relationship as they were taking handfuls of money from the publisher so they could work on the game for years, and soaking up tons of exposure they never would have been able to receive otherwise, just to have then turn around and say, "You ruined our game!" The criticism has to fall on the devs and the product they created.

Makes even less sense when the game is published by Hello Games themselves anyways.

Just got done watching.

Extremely-Happy-Black-Woman.gif

Pretty good from CrowbCat as usual.

Coreda

And yet I still want to play it... Something is wrong with me.

I don't think that's wrong, there are plenty who enjoy it for what it is currently.

And I agree with the poster earlier regarding marketing hype. If you couldn't decern what the game was likely going to be from all that was shown that's on the consumer. While there are a few notable things omitted from the final release and outright misleading/untrue statements (worthy of criticism/discussion) it's still pretty much what was advertised. If that interested people great for them.

Triple A marketing + Triple A price = Triple A expectations + Triple A criticism

I agree about the criticism and expectations bit (at least in regard to polish). Feature expectation-wise there didn't seem to be very many specific features that were cut (unless people actually believed the 'you can do anything' spiel but I'd like to think people are intelligent enough to make their own judgments). There was 1) the promise of being able to see other players, 2) mining not necessary, 3) certain creatures from the trailers haven't been found/possibly don't exist, 4) performance issues. Haven't read much about anything else omitted.

Lmao, watch that whole No Man's Sky E3 '15 segment from Game Trailers. It's so funny. 3 people vs Jones and he was the only one not blinded by the "art"

If I had to guess I would assume that they were originally planning for the game to be an arthouse thing where you just fly around and look at the results of the procedural generation and nothing more. But then Sony gets involved, mainstream attention gets way out of hand, and suddenly they're caught trying to make the game into something it clearly was never intended to be. I don't have a problem with arthouse experiences but I do have a problem with arthouse experiences that masquerade as actual games, or worse, fail in a misguided attempt to try to 'split the difference' between arthouse and game. That just ensures that you suck at both as opposed to being good at one.

If you could only fly around and explore and the game was $25 that would be great in my opinion; I'm all for diversity of experiences. But if you're going to just throw in a bunch of poorly implemented survival mechanics at the last minute to justify charging $60, then don't be surprised when the kid gloves come off. At that point you can't even use the defense of arthouse because you've destroyed people's ability to interact with the game from a purely experiential perspective. Now you have to grind resources and upgrade things just to see things.

spannicus

Im gonna make a game like this. You can fly and explore planets in the solar system. There will be multiplayer as well. Im gonna be rich, rich i tell you! Now i need the power of Sony to help me market the game. My dreams of being rich are so close i can taste them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom