• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age Inquisition progress update and screenshots [Up: Additional Screens]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmm, some perty art:

"And their bones shall spread across the land, the remains of an empire lost to folly."

BcRN3kJCcAA_6oJ.jpg:orig

"In places untouched by the feet of Man, in shadows unspoiled by the fires of Right."

Bc1RYgWCUAAJy9z.jpg:orig

"Here lies the abyss, the well of all souls. From these emerald waters doth life begin anew."

BdZUMnCCQAAeqio.jpg:orig

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Graphics aren't too hot, but the environment is kinda nice.

Here's hoping it doesn't suck balls and has a half decent story...

spekkeh

Banned
That last art piece is the first original thing I see in this series.

It looks beautiful but I do hope they can give it something more unique than generic high fantasy game 321.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That last art piece is the first original thing I see in this series.

It looks beautiful but I do hope they can give it something more unique than generic high fantasy game 321.

Yeah, the first thing that stuck out to that about me is that it actually didn't look like a generic forest, standard medieval town/city, or your traditional cave.

Give me some of dat. This better be in the game.
It's very unique, so it seems like something they'd want to keep. I think most concept art that devs choose to show the public end up in game. The ones they don't show or show in some "Making of" vidoc afterwards are the areas they scrapped from the game.

Yeah, the first thing that stuck out to that about me is that it actually didn't look like a generic forest, standard medieval town/city, or your traditional cave.

Dragon Age lore, story wise, that area would be kind of cool to explore too, since its supposed to be Arlathan, the main Elven city from way back that was sunk into the ground by a ton of Tevinter blood magic.

But I just cannot get myself too excited for this game after DA2. They can show all of the fancy graphics and visuals they want but the meat and potatoes of this game as a proper party based RPG, is just something BioWare hasn't shown they're capable of in years.

ironcreed

Banned
It's very unique, so it seems like something they'd want to keep. I think most concept art that devs choose to show the public end up in game. The ones they don't show or show in some "Making of" vidoc afterwards are the areas they scrapped from the game.

I hear you. Something like that is a must. The artist was clearly in the zone.

In case anyone missed it, here's about 30 minutes of offscreen gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA

Large open (ish) world, actual variety in environments as opposed to DA2, multiple playable races are back, tactical view is back, full customization on all party members, horseback riding, and ton of other stuff I'm forgetting. Ticking all the right boxes for me so far.

BLunted

Banned
Looks good, but Bioware has fooled me too many times now. Thankfully, I have switched to a "wait for the GOTY edition" policy that prevents me from being fooled now.

This game just looks so good. I seriously hope that a Qunari can wear the pimp hat.

Oh and for this game to truly be perfect, if every character in the game could have their own unique mount, Ogrehn's better be a dam Mabari.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I really hope BioWare pull out all the stops with this game and shows they still got the goods. They definitely took a beating after DAII and especially after the ME3 ending, so I hope they've licked their wounds and really taken a tough look at how they're doing things. So far everything we've seen is in a good direction, taking extra time to work on it, reintroduction of tactical camera, playable races and so on. They've got the chance to really surprise everyone, though I still think having this be cross gen is a terrible idea. 360/PS3 have nothing to offer besides user base at the expense of a whole lot of hardware limitations.

Staf

In case anyone missed it, here's about 30 minutes of offscreen gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8xJMWRI-cA

Large open (ish) world, actual variety in environments as opposed to DA2, multiple playable races are back, tactical view is back, full customization on all party members, horseback riding, and ton of other stuff I'm forgetting. Ticking all the right boxes for me so far.

Don't have the time at the moment to watch the whole video but from skimming through it it seems like the combat is even more hack-and-slash than DA2. And that horrible dialogue system where you have to guess what the character you are playing is going to say from paraphrased options stays.

Don't have the time at the moment to watch the whole video but from skimming through it it seems like the combat is even more hack-and-slash than DA2. And that horrible dialogue system where you have to guess what the character you are playing is going to say from paraphrased options stays.
It's not more hack and slash, you can play the game in full tactical view the whole time if you choose, pause, setting up blocks, shields, area magic attacks, flanks, etc.

Also they've specifically addressed that complaint about the dialogue system. Now an additional explanation will pop up under each paraphrased line telling you what each option means for the player.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Go to 18 minutes in they show tactical camera and pause and play. You don't have to guess what they'll say if you hold on a dialogue option it will display a description of that choice, but not word for word, but everything you need to know.

Edit: Newman!

Staf

Go to 18 minutes in they show tactical camera and pause and play. You don't have to guess what they'll say if you hold on a dialogue option it will display a description of that choice, but not word for word, but everything you need to know.

Edit: Newman!

So instead of typing out what the character is actually going to say they will:
1. Paraphrase the actual delivered line
2. Make a clarification of the paraphrased line

Am i the only one seeing this system as kind of... dumb?

The magic formula is DA1 turn based combat, open world exploration and more story than the Elder Scrolls ever thought about having. They would have to go out of their way to screw this up after all the feedback they have gotten. They know what to do: make turn based combat the default combat style.

They found typing out the exact sentence your character will speak to be redundant, to which I agree really.

Luthos

Agreed. I don't see why they can't just give you the exact immediate line of dialogue.

Red Mage

It's not more hack and slash, you can play the game in full tactical view the whole time if you choose, pause, setting up blocks, shields, area magic attacks, flanks, etc.

Also they've specifically addressed that complaint about the dialogue system. Now an additional explanation will pop up under each paraphrased line telling you what each option means for the player.

I hope you can use spells outside of battle again. I would have my rogue(s) set traps, then my mage cast Inferno to get the enemies to come running. The warrior(s) did clean up.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Yes, even in older games with the full dialogue presented it was often easy to think a line would be taken one way and have it be taken in another.

Here the initial option should be clear for most people most of the time, but if they're in a situation where they want to really weigh their options, or make sure they're saying exactly what they want they can read the description and see what kind of tone they'll take.

And like Shinobi said why have full text for us to read and then have it voiced, it's a waste of everyone's time.

IvorB

I'm getting this crazy feeling like this could actually be quite good. Feels weird, man...

They just need to not fail on the combat. Give us that squad-based, tactical gameplay and I will certainly open my wallet for this game.

inky

Some of that concept art is crazy good. I wish they do go back to a more tactical combat scheme, companion full inventories and all that stuff.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Some of that concept art is crazy good. I wish they do go back to a more tactical combat scheme, companion full inventories and all that stuff.

They have. Full tactical camera, I think the least restrictive they've ever done, full companion inventories are back and all that stuff as far as we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom