• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fatal Frame game announced for Wii U

Only Wii U?

dexter-mad-o.gif

Riki

Ha seems to be decisive. I guess I have to pick the games up myself and have a gander. Thanks anyways you two! :)

Yeah. We don't know exactly how much they cost but they seem to be low risk enough which is good for us. Wonder why the games are called Project Zero in EU tho.

Project Zero is also the Japanese name. It's only Fatal Frame in NA because of a trademark issue, I believe.

Ayyye! I want to play this! I wonder why for Wii U though

Probably because Nintendo's been really keen on the franchise for years now. They published Project Zero 4 in Japan, Project Zero 2's remake in Japan and Europe, and helped with the Spirit Camera spin-off for 3DS.

I don't think Tecmo Koei could risk doing it alone these days.

kunonabi

Fuck if that's the case, come and localize Taiko no Tatsujin, Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku 1+2 HD Collection, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Karaoke U.

Hell while you're at it do the same for the 3DS :[

Nintendoooo you can do it.

Don't forget Romance of the 3 Kingdoms. I'm still bitter about that one.

I've seen this before, but why is it a good source? Relyonhorror.com with absolutely no citation?

I really don't think it is. Last year I made this post:

Let me clear some things up.

1. The trademarks "Fatal Frame" and "Project Zero" are owned by TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.

2. Both Fatal Frame 4 and Project Zero 2: Wii Edition have joint copyright with TECMO KOEI GAMES and Nintendo.

3. All legacy IPs in the Fatal Frame franchise (Fatal Frame, Fatal Frame 2, etc.) are exclusively owned by TECMO KOEI GAMES CO., LTD.

4. There is absolutely no evidence, from Tecmo Koei financials, about the sale (or partial sale) of Fatal Frame assets.

5. There are, however, references to "joint Fatal Frame projects" that Tecmo Koei Games decided to do with Nintendo as the result of a co-development deal, including Fatal Frame 4, Spirit Camera, and Project Zero 2: Wii Edition.

Conclusion:

I have found nothing thus far to indicate that Nintendo co-owns any share of the Fatal Frame IP.

What Dantis believes is true---Nintendo only owns joint copyright with the projects they funded and collaborated with Tecmo Koei.

javac

Project Zero is also the Japanese name. It's only Fatal Frame in NA because of a trademark issue, I believe.

Oh that's interesting enough. You learn something new everyday! Thanks! I think Fatal Frame sounds better myself. Cool name.

Fuck!
I didn't expect this!
I thought Nintendo was already letting Wii U to rot until all announced games were released.
Thankfully I was wrong.

Richie

That's because E3 is saved for bigger surprises.

I'd say Nintendo's has had their biggest surprises -outside- of E3 in the last couple years (The Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Wind Waker HD, Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei, A Link Between Worlds, Yarn Yoshi to name some off the top of my head), so, on hindsight, this is par for the course for them.

Somehow even with Wii U in the title, I expected ios or something.

Then again, chances of NoA bringing out here will be the same kind of disappointment.

L Thammy

I'm suddenly reminded about how weirdly close Nintendo and Koei Tecmo are. Nintendo cameos in Warriors and Dead or Alive, crossovers with Nobunaga's Ambition and Warriors, Nintendo handling the publishing for some title in certain regions, etc.

And yet still no Monster Rancher X Pokemon.

TunaLover

People complaining abou Wii U exclusivity often is the same people that said Wii U has no gaemz, and no exclusive titles worth owning the console. Funny.

Mlatador

Banned
Woooow!!! This is a small MEGATON right there!!

Just imagin' playing this in at night in your dark room with the Wii U Gamepad and 360 degree of freedom to look wherever you want °_°

fatal-frame-1-screenshot-ghost-battle-capture-circle-ps2-xbox.jpg
fatal-frame-1-screenshot-scary-ghost-ps2-xbox.jpg
fatal_frame_3_ghostbust.jpeg

Meia

A Fatal Frame game....with the gamepad of the Wii U.

Well shit, if this actually gets released in NA, I'll have a major reason to buy a system then. Helps that it's a game that could make really fucked up use of that gamepad.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Nintendo should bring it over to the West

Actually, they should also do a HD remaster of the Wii Fatal Frame games to further fill out the drought in all regions.

sphagnum

Banned
Well, Iwata did say in the corporate briefing that they need to start focusing on games that show off the value of the gamepad.

ironcreed

Banned
There we go, Nintendo. It is already starting to look much more attractive. Keep on securing games and put up an actual fight to make this system something that can't be ignored. It's only been a year and a half and that is really just getting a console cycle started. Which leaves plenty of time to win more people over. I know I'm getting one.

Top Bottom