• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fatal Frame game announced for Wii U

takoyaki

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure the last paragraph from the Famitsu article talks about a Hollywood movie that will happen after this cross-media-project is finished:

ハリウッドでも映画化
 「零」シリーズは、霊を映し出すカメラ“射影機(しゃえいき)”を手に、廃屋となった日本家屋や地図から消えた廃村を探索しながら、霊と戦うホラーアドベンチャーゲームです。プレイヤーは主人公となり“射影機”を使って霊と戦い、じわじわと染み入る不安、怖れの中で謎を解いていきます。 2001年12月に1作目の『零~zero~』が日本で発売されて以来、独特のゲーム性と真の恐怖に迫る映像表現が高く評価されております。

ハリウッドから、約10年前より映画化のオファーが複数入っておりましたが、このプロジェクト終了後、ハリウッドでの映画化を始動します。
 各界の著名なクリエイターにより、『零』の世界を新たな切り口で大型メディアミックス展開してまいりますので、今後の発表にご期待ください。

rough translation of the bold part: For the last 10 years they've received multiple offers from Hollywood and when the current project is completed, they will begin to make a Hollywood movie version.

Riki

people will need to buy a gamepad strap or smething to avoid dropping it

Nerf's got you covered.
41ru8Ia%2BfML.jpg

Jamix012

sadly fixed. Let's not joke around and say this is gonna sell well if it comes over.

I'm not saying it'll do well by any means, but it'll do Ok as a niche title. Some horror fans are on the Wii U due to ZombiU. By no means would this be a system seller, but it'll do ok numbers for a niche title on the Wii U.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Probably the only game I think really fits the Wii U well. I'll grab it if it ever comes here or the Wii U is hacked and I can region free it.

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure the last paragraph from the Famitsu article talks about a Hollywood movie that will happen after this cross-media-project is finished:

ハリウッドでも映画化
 「零」シリーズは、霊を映し出すカメラ“射影機(しゃえいき)”を手に、廃屋となった日本家屋や地図から消えた廃村を探索しながら、霊と戦うホラーアドベンチャーゲームです。プレイヤーは主人公となり“射影機”を使って霊と戦い、じわじわと染み入る不安、怖れの中で謎を解いていきます。 2001年12月に1作目の『零~zero~』が日本で発売されて以来、独特のゲーム性と真の恐怖に迫る映像表現が高く評価されております。

ハリウッドから、約10年前より映画化のオファーが複数入っておりましたが、このプロジェクト終了後、ハリウッドでの映画化を始動します。
 各界の著名なクリエイターにより、『零』の世界を新たな切り口で大型メディアミックス展開してまいりますので、今後の発表にご期待ください。

rough translation of the bold part: For the last 10 years they've received multiple offers from Hollywood and when the current project is completed, they will begin to make a Hollywood movie version.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting too. Well, at least, they'll begin working on a Hollywood version.

I'm going to pretend it was also confirmed for america and get excited. The Wii games were so great, so I'm sure this will be as well. The Wii U tablet is as perfect a controller as one can hope for.

SparkTR

Nice, there's so much potential for the Gamepad here, great to see it not being brushed aside. Though, hopefully this gets localised.

takoyaki

Yeah, that's what I'm getting too. Well, at least, they'll begin working on a Hollywood version.

It's probably pretty early in development and they might use this to give the franchise some clout in Japan, but I think it makes a lot of sense. Tecmo might be betting on the Grudge reboot being a financial success, It's been about 10 years since the Japanese-Horror-remake-boom and audiences are growing tired of standard found footage horror-movies.

My guess: novel Japanese influence (ghosts, maybe some youkai)+ found footage angle ("spirit camera") + Western actors = $$$

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/the-grudge-receiving-reboot-from-sam-raimi-1201140682/

wow... just a couple of hours ago there was another thread about a FF movie and now this...... emotions are high indeed.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is what i define as a system seller. I would totally buy another wii u if the game doesn't come out over here.

Wow, the timing of this is so odd. You'd think it'd have been saved as a surprise for E3.

My thoughts exactly. This would have been huge news at E3 with a decent trailer. Who knows, maybe Big N had so many games to show at E3 that they wouldn't have had enough time to announce this one there?
*snigger*

Riki

My thoughts exactly. This would have been huge news at E3 with a decent trailer. Who knows, maybe Big N had so many games to show at E3 that they wouldn't have had enough time to announce this one there?
*snigger*
Or maybe we'll see the first footage at E3 since we got squat here.

Het_Nkik

Might actually have to buy a Wii U...as long as it isn't as bad as I've heard Fatal Frame 4 is.

I played it last October for Halloween and I thought it was really good for the first 80% or so. Got kind of lame at the end, but before that I enjoyed it thoroughly. Also pulled in decent stream numbers on Twitch (decent for me, anyway) and got people coming back each night to watch.

Anyway, glad this is actually happening. Seems like a perfect, no-brainer idea, and for some reason those aren't always made (no lightsaber game for Wii!?).

R.I.P

Awesome news to wake up to, loved 4 and 2 remake on the Wii. Now Nintendo just has to bring this over...fuck.

takoyaki

I played it last October for Halloween and I thought it was really good for the first 80% or so.

Completely agree, it's a great game, but the controls can get in the way sometimes and there are a few parts that go on for to long and feel tedious, especially toward the end. But I thought it was a great-looking, moody game with a gripping story. Just not as good as 3 or 2.

crinale

Oh they're shooting for Hollywood movie then I guess now it is more likely to be localized than without movie thing, good.

Dantis

Gah.

Really wish this wasn't Wii U. I'll play it if I can, but with the hilariously hit and miss way Nintendo is with localisations, who knows? :(

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Really impressed by Tecmo Koei's management these last few years; they have been building great relationships with various partners (Nintendo, Bandai Namco, Pokemon) while also diversifying their revenue stream via an IP licensing model.

Financially, although generating less than a third of the likes of Capcom and Square Enix in terms of revenue, their profits exceeds these publishers results - truly outstanding.

Why wouldn't they do a smartphone tie-in with a PS4 title as MGS:GZ did? I mean..using a camera...as a camera..that just seems like such a win for immersion.

Anyway, I'm happy to see another Fatal Frame game coming out, even if it's for a console I will probably never buy. I'm sure they have some good ideas for using the controller.

Gah.

Really wish this wasn't Wii U. I'll play it if I can, but with the hilariously hit and miss way Nintendo is with localisations, who knows? :(

Didn't Iwata say in a recent interview that localization would be a good deal faster this time around after what happened to the Wii? As regards to this being only on Wii U, the console is starting to come into it's own and don't forget about dat $200 Wii U Deluxe Nintendo themselves is offering on their website.....

I loved the Wiimake of 2.
It was the only scary game in the last 6 years till ZombiU.

Why wouldn't they do a smartphone tie-in with a PS4 title as MGS:GZ did? I mean..using a camera...as a camera..that just seems like such a win for immersion.

Anyway, I'm happy to see another Fatal Frame game coming out, even if it's for a console I will probably never buy. I'm sure they have some good ideas for using the controller.

why should they?

If there's any game fitting perfectly to the WiiU gamepad, it's Fatal Frame.
and Nintendo is probably founding the game so it will never appear on other devices.

The HD visuals with some awesome lightning coupled with the Gamepad should do it wonders. Could be very immersive. Wonder if it'll support the Wii remote? Did the previous game work well with the controller?

Fucking yes!!!

Really hope this hits NA.

Foffy

Banned
Really hope it comes stateside, and really, really hope NoA does not look at Spirit Camera's reception to not make it come. ):

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Nice! Glad to hear they are still keeping the series alive. Guess its no surprise considering we got another Kagero game too. lol

Great news tho!

I'm betting on this going to America. Iwata said they're going to push games that use the gamepad and this is the most obviously perfect IP for the Wii U.

IrishNinja

fuckin' FINALLY

the single most obvious use for the pad - especially for horror fans! - now just to make sure it gets localized....

Top Bottom