• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

i've only gotten this far (legendary is brutal) but it keeps blowing my mind.

Lol, heroic is a more pleasurable play through but I'm doing my legendary run now. I'm on mission 13. My wife has become very familiar with Tanaka's character because she's the one I curse when I can't get a revive. Stupid Tenaka.

I've got a staggering amount of hours logged in this game over a 36 hour period and I'm itching to get back to it.

Whoops, I got mixed up. I'm on mission 8 now. I was just on mission 7 and that's the one I really like.

No wonder I thought the 3rd mission was taking so long.
it was all on the same planet but I guess they split it into different parts

Zoba is struggling on legendary.

i'm pooping my big boy pants rightnowz.

Tthe enemies have a lot of OHK abilities and my squad is taking their sweet time. Tanaka and Vale seem to get to me all the time but Blue Team is completely useless, so there's a lot of dumb trial and error wipes.

The difficulty is good IMO and it'll be really fun in Co-op

Lol, heroic is a more pleasurable play through but I'm doing my legendary run now. I'm on mission 13. My wife has become very familiar with Tanaka's character because she's the one I curse when I can't get a revive. Stupid Tenaka.

I've got a staggering amount of hours logged in this game over a 36 hour period and I'm itching to get back to it.

What?! She's the only one I can count on. Buck usually gets himself killed.

Doesn't look too difficult tbh. It's still easier than CE, but harder than Halo 4.

lol nothing will be harder than the original game.

Halo 2...we've discussed this exact topic before though, long ago.

Trial and Error. And plasma weapons.

Much easier than Combat Evolved

Kinda disappointed
that I'm so far ahead in the game though. Didn't expect that 4 missions would take place on the one planet :/ Can't say I liked any of them.
On mission 8 now - the one they've shown a bunch.

Interesting that you guys think Halo CE is the hardest. It's my favorite, but I feel like Halo 2 is the hardest on legendary (unless using speed run tactics).

Interesting that you guys think Halo CE is the hardest. It's my favorite, but I feel like Halo 2 is the hardest on legendary (unless using speed run tactics).

I just don't have patience for Halo CE's mechanics. It's one thing to get hit by a OHK, but the ridiculous fall damage and boomerang grenades get on my nerves. Halo 2 I can brute force through it, but after wiping a few times from dumb shit in the first game I don't bother. I watched some of the legendary guides a while ago and didn't really find that playstyle interesting either.

Random17

Well, you can speedrun Halo CE relatively easily aside from TaR and Two Betrayals. I've even managed to do PoA in under 5 minutes. Halo isn't difficult, SC has a huge and easy skip, AotCR skip is easyish on PC, the Flood are no issue at all, and only Keyes gets to me.

Vire

Trial and Error. And plasma weapons.

Much easier than Combat Evolved

Kinda disappointed
that I'm so far ahead in the game though. Didn't expect that 4 missions would take place on the one planet :/ Can't say I liked any of them.
On mission 8 now - the one they've shown a bunch.

Hmm that's kind of a bummer.
1/4 of the game all in the same location?

Also going to have to agree with another poster. I'm always looking at the environments in Halo, but this game especially is appealing. Some of these missions are simply gorgeous. I'm wearing down the lXBO's lousy screenshot method with how often i'm taking them.

Well, you can speedrun Halo CE relatively easily aside from TaR and Two Betrayals. I've even managed to do PoA in under 5 minutes. Halo isn't difficult, SC has a huge and easy skip, AotCR skip is easyish on PC, the Flood are no issue at all, and only Keyes gets to me.

I don't count speed running or phase skipping though. Everything must die.

Random17

Also going to have to agree with another poster. I'm always looking at the environments in Halo, but this game especially is appealing. Some of these missions are simply gorgeous. I'm wearing down the lXBO's lousy screenshot method with how often i'm taking them.

I don't count speed running or phase skipping though. Everything must die.
So a full path run? Killing everything in Outskirts, Metropolis and Gravemind? Yeah that's difficult...

So a full path run? Killing everything in Outskirts, Metropolis and Gravemind? Yeah that's difficult...

i know where those bastard jackals spawn so that isn't bad. but Gravemind definitely is.

Hardest levels on Legendary IMO would be Oracle and Quarantine Zone. Regret isn't far behind.

Random17

i know where those bastard jackals spawn so that isn't bad. but Gravemind definitely is.

Hardest levels on Legendary IMO would be Oracle and Quarantine Zone. Regret isn't far behind.
Oracle and QZ are fairly easy though? Regret is defs the hardest level in the game.

Oracle and QZ are fairly easy though? Regret is defs the hardest level in the game.

Regret is mostly spinning around prescoping Snipers and then an ohshiohshiohshi boss fight.

Don't rememebr the last time I did Quarantine Zone without skipping half of it. Fuck that level.

So interesting to me how difficulty is perceived by people. I really do think fun factor drastically skews what's perceived as hard/brutal or not. I love almost everything about CE, so I smile/laugh when I die.

Halo 2 has rage inducing moments for me, while Halo 4 is probably the "hardest" for me because I simply don't enjoy it.

Edit: Halo 2's gravemind is the hardest IMHO, while regret was a vacation to me

Random17

Regret is mostly spinning around prescoping Snipers and then an ohshiohshiohshi boss fight.

Don't rememebr the last time I did Quarantine Zone without skipping half of it. Fuck that level.
You can destroy everything with Scorpion/Wraith, and the Halo 2 Flood are literally a non-issue.

boltz

I was planning to pick up a xbone and Halo 5 around black Friday, but damn, reading this thread is making it hard to wait that long.

Hellcat armor description could be pretty big for canon

Helmet: Tests with Spartan-II veterans show near-perfect synchronization with HELLCAT armor, but compatible Spartan-IV operators require an acclimatization period and tweaks to their augmentation maintenance before deployment.

http://www.halopedia.org/HELLCAT-class_Mjolnir

So the armor
is from Ancient Humanity, and Spartan IIs can wear it while IVs have to have some other alterations. Implying IIs are getting pretty close to ancient humanity was, as some of us theorized.

comparison

http://i.imgur.com/AJ5jD8B.png?1

Theory: SII's being
closer to ancient humanity
is a result of Halsey's geas influencing her candidate selections.

I dunno about The Ark and The Covenant, but
Reunion and Swords of Sangehlios
are pretty good candidates for back-to-back double whammy IMO

rjcc

Is anyone with early access running the NXOE?

It forced me into the new dashboard update and if performance is bad or it causes issues with H5, I'm going to be absolutely livid.

I've had it crash on me several times w/ the most recent NXOE update, fwiw.

I may reformat (and still keep the NXOE) and see if that helps. My games are on external anyway.

VeeP

Hey guys, so without any spoilers whats the consensus on Campaign right now?

Longest Halo game ever? Return to form? Smart enemy AI? Great story?

The Hunters are like actual mini bosses now.
they have a secondary firing mode and they can deflect grenades, lol. Buck likes to give them hugs.

Hawk269

Man all the positive impressions is great to read.

So for those that played the game, what is the verdict on the visuals and the changing resolution?

Man all the positive impressions is great to read.

So for those that played the game, what is the verdict on the visuals and the changing resolution?

I didn't notice it at all, but I'm a little wrapped up in the gameplay. Enjoy the game and I'm sure it won't be an issue

Hawk269

I didn't notice it at all, but I'm a little wrapped up in the gameplay. Enjoy the game and I'm sure it won't be an issue

I plan too...I was just curious if it was very noticeable. What is your opinion on the overall visuals of the game? Framerate been rock solid?

I plan too...I was just curious if it was very noticeable. What is your opinion on the overall visuals of the game? Framerate been rock solid?

Yea the gameplay is crazy good. Movement, frame rate, etc is mind blowing. I think the visuals are great. Most the stuff looks awesome. A few things look mediocre. Then you have some truly beautiful moments. It's not going to win an award but combined with the gameplay it's pretty amazing.

Hawk269

Yea the gameplay is crazy good. Movement, frame rate, etc is mind blowing. I think the visuals are great. Most the stuff looks awesome. A few things look mediocre. Then you have some truly beautiful moments. It's not going to win an award but combined with the gameplay it's pretty amazing.

Thanks..really appreciate it. I just wanted to hear about these things from other players versus reviews. It seems everyone that has played it seems to really love it and think it looks really good.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Damn why did I waste my money on something stupid. I should of spent it on xbone and Halo 5. Why are these consoles so damn expensive! How much is an xbone and halo 5 going to set me back? $600?😨

Hawk269

Damn why did I waste my money on something stupid. I should of spent it on xbone and Halo 5. Why are these consoles so damn expensive! How much is an xbone and halo 5 going to set me back? $600?😨

Get a Master Chief Bundle for $349.99 and copy of Halo 5 which is $59.99. Total without taxes is $410.00. You will have Halo 1-5, plus I still think you get Halo ODST as well.

Thanks..really appreciate it. I just wanted to hear about these things from other players versus reviews. It seems everyone that has played it seems to really love it and think it looks really good.

The story is always hit or miss with people, but there's no getting around how great this plays. I've put in probably 25 hours since 5 am Friday morning and I've loved every minute. MP living up to expectations will make this my favorite halo ever.

VeeP

Depends on where you live. If USA:

Halo 5 & LE Xbox One for $499 plus yearly cost of XBL (Separate): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...stom/4356601.p?id=1219735500072&skuId=4356601

Halo MCC & Xbox One for $399 and plus Halo 5 for 60 and yearly cost of XBL:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microso...lack/8226014.p?id=1219689902208&skuId=8226014

I did the Halo 5 xbox one but honestly you don't need a 1 tb drive, just get the basic mcc xboxone and a copy of 5.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Thanks guys! I might trade in some games I don't play to bring down the price a tad. Ill go with the 500gb Xbone I think.

Thanks guys! I might trade in some games I don't play to bring down the price a tad. Ill go with the 500gb Xbone I think.

500gb is plenty if you're jumping in for Halo 5 and MCC right now. You can always get a $50-$100 1-2TB external down the road if you want to add more storage.

theofficefan99

Shit. I was hoping the game would get mediocre scores so I would no longer have the urge to buy an Xbox One with all the Halo games :( Now I don't know what to do

BraXzy

Why why why... I've had to call it a night for now at the start of Mission
. I wanted to finish it all in one sitting but alas, the sun will be coming up soon and I can't go on any longer. This campaign has been amaaaaaaaazingg so far, cannot wait to finish it off tomorrow.

the only thing I've hated is encounters with the Warden. I like him as a character, but fighting him has been such a slog personally. I totally get the whole shoot his back thing, and I assume it is in part to make players that are solo make use of their team by trying to flank him.. But god, the second I shoot him I aggro him. 90% of the time my buddies run near him and he chops them up. I'm only on heroic and the end of 13 was pretty tough. Lord have mercy for Legendary.

Seriously though, bravo 343. The campaign has been a real treat so far besides that.

Top Bottom