• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

xboxnerd

Banned
Yeah I know, was talking about shield strength/HP wise, if you can break their shields without having to deplete several magazines of BR or pistol ammo, elite combo isn't entirely required in less trickier engagement, while in previous games you are pretty much required to have a PP equipped at all times on Heroic and Legendary since all other weapons don't do shit to them. All in all I welcome this change as it opens up gameplay possibilities.

Part of the reason may be that this is a preview build, and 343 had to tune down the difficulty to let some COD fanboy journalists feel more comfortable. More gameplay possibilities are great, but it is far to easy to take down multiple elites which is not a welcome change.

BTW, the UI shown in the beginning of the AR12 video is great!

jelly

Very disappointed that the Kraken just becomes stationary at the end ready for boarding.

Yeah, it wasn't that great. Perhaps too big and ends up as window dressing more or less. It's just sort of there doing nothing but smashing scenery with no threat for the spectacle.

It reminds me of that Halo 4 level on the mammoth but more open. Follow the window dressing.

[Call-Me-G];179696569 said:
Great previews. The Eurogamer's one is really good and well writted.

But what's the point with the Engadget's one? Why do they let a noob guy play this preview? He keeps saying that he did not understand anything... Hey, the MCC is here for him!
Why is he a noob? There will be plenty of people who never played a Halo before. He does not criticize the gameplay, he really likes it at the end. He is criticizing the story.

munroe

Jooo, time to go dark. I did sneak a bit of the 'Enemy Lines' mission and it seems that there's plenty of blood when shooting grunts and their ilk, very different from yesterday's gameplay.

Ok, I admit. I also watched a smart snippet of blue team. I am worried for the AI though, both friendly and enemy. I saw Linda stand point blank at a wall and fire her sniper as well as her standing in full vision of a turret and not moving while getting shot.

Yeah I noticed the friendly Ai doing stupid things also, I feel that they're going to be like Mass Effect team mates where they don't really do anything, they might fire off a few shots but don't really do anything constructive

Game looks awesome! The difficulty of the AI looks kinda worrying though. In these video's, they seem really, really easy to combat. Of course, it could a lower difficulty, but for now, it seems like I'll start the campaign on legendary for the first time.

Also, the Kraken fight looks kinda underwhelming from what I've seen. It doesn't seem to do much besides be there. No big guns like the scarab.

Part of the reason may be that this is a preview build, and 343 had to tune down the difficulty to let some COD fanboy journalists feel more comfortable. More gameplay possibilities are great, but it is far to easy to take down multiple elites which is not a welcome change.

BTW, the UI shown in the beginning of the AR12 video is great!

Fair enough, but at least I wish in the final game we don't have to rely on elite combo all the time.

Dayum nice and big in-game subtitles!

Flipyap

Was THAT supposed to be their long-teased bigger better more bad ass follow-up to the Scarab?
This is literally just a static level shaped like a walking weapons platform.

Magwik

Banned
I was hoping they redesigned some of the promethean weapons since Halo 4. Nope they are all ugly as sin.
Enemy Lines looks like the better of the two missions though.

Leyasu

Banned
Looking amazing. I cant wait til friday now.

Please 343 confirm that local matchmaking is going to be in the full realease. You promised it, now deliver it.

xboxnerd

Banned
Was THAT supposed to be their long-teased bigger better more bad ass follow-up to the Scarab?

Guadians seem to correspond with the expression more. I believe that in some of the stages we will have to face the Guardians, and some awesome platforming will be required to take them down.

Overdoziz

Banned
Yeah, if they were going for a Scarab-esque battle they seem to have completely missed the point of what made those fun. It also looks like this dude from Half-Life 1:
184mNQN.jpg

--

Also noticed that the Promethean Knights seemingly don't have a lot of visual feedback for hitting them or if their shields are going down (if they still have those):
http://i.imgur.com/9iqVeGR.webm

maximrace

Looks fantastics. Seems to me like they took all the halo4 critic to heart and made Halo 5 campaign more like the original trilogy. I can only approve

Flipyap

Yeah, if they were going for a Scarab-esque battle they seem to have completely missed the point of what made those fun. It also looks like this dude from Half-Life 1:
--
Also noticed that the Promethean Knights seemingly don't have a lot of visual feedback for hitting them or if their shields are going down (if they still have those):
http://i.imgur.com/9iqVeGR.webm
Oh geez, don't remind me. I've done enough platforming onto space baby brains for two lifetimes.

The game has major visual clarity issues in general. All of the enemies are grey and even harder to tell apart than they were in Halo 4, which really shouldn't happen in a "Halo" game.

a.wd

Every other big game this year, I have had the hype drop before it was launched, but this just keeps getting better. I love the themes, and I normally dont do multiplayer, but I am thinking of doing the campaign in co-op. Do they have a mechanism for making replaying the campaign viable (XP/get cards/new shit etc)?

Solidsoul

Banned
Watching this footage, I can't complain. The game looks great on every level. Well done 343, it looks like they've really went for something special here.

Pretty excited about finding skulls again, that was unexpected.

nib95

Banned
Looks great fun. A lot more frenetic than past Halo games. And I don't know if it's just me, but seems like there's a lot more enemies you're engaging with than is typical of the franchise, at least for early on in the game. For the first few missions or whatever, these arena's are literally littered with enemies to kill. I think the general fluidity of combat, as well as animations and sense of impact, look excellent. Weapons appear to pack a punch, and look satisfying to use.

Graphically, I think it looks absolutely fantastic for a 60fps title. The lighting is atmospheric, and the art direction beautiful. There are a few issues here and there, like explosions for example, but otherwise the visuals have been majorly tidied up. Things look cleaner than they did for example at E3, where at the time it was a bit of a jaggy mess.

---

I do have a few minor negative take aways though.

Firstly, the AI, even for normal difficulty, just does not look especially competent. Especially for this franchise in particular, which has always been at the forefront of quality AI design. Here enemies seemed content with just standing around getting executed, and didn't seem to have the same urgency of self preservation as in past games. They weren't dashing for cover the moment shields were down, or threats were posed etc, or sniping from in and out of cover etc in quite the same way.

The Kraken fight just looked a bit dull and boring. The build up to it was fantastic. That sense of awe and magnitude, but then the climax soured it. Essentially just one big stationary platform which you monotonously hover around, picking off enemies before boarding and doing the classic blow up reactor routine. I thought there'd be more to it.

The only other minor negatives were the revivals, which appear to make the game far too easy, but that might not be the case further in to the game. And lastly, it's the emphasis on Locke. For whatever reason I'm just not as interested in his character or team as Master Chief and his. His character seems a little forced and bland, but again, that might be an opinion that changes after I've played through the game.

---

In any case, overall I'm still very impressed with what has been shown, enough that I'm excited to play more. Now, where's the cheapest place to pre-order this thing in the UK? Lol.

Game looks pretty good, but also pretty easy. Might have to jack it up to Legendary for a first-time run through. I agree it would've been cooler if we had to board the Kraken while it was in motion (a la Halo 2), or at least offer the opportunity to board it early with a time limit attached (so once it stops you've got a very limited amount of time to defuse the bastard).

Other than that, no major complaints. Music sounds great, gameplay looks fiiiiine, and graphics are solid. Hugely looking forward to this.

Really impressed so far. The 60fps seems super smooth from the videos. Environments look to be a lot more vertical and open. Hopefully the story holds up.

derFeef

That and "you good" sounded super wooden.

Team Locke had the better opening cinematic (as far as what was presented to us)

Isn't this ingame engine and the other one CG? I wonder why or maybe we have not seen everything.
edit: or the other is the game's intro and this only being a "cutscene". I guess that makes sense.

Flipyap

Game looks pretty good, but also pretty easy. Might have to jack it up to Legendary for a first-time run through. I agree it would've been cooler if we had to board the Kraken while it was in motion (a la Halo 2), or at least offer the opportunity to board it early with a time limit attached (so once it stops you've got a very limited amount of time to defuse the bastard).

Other than that, no major complaints. Music sounds great, gameplay looks fiiiiine, and graphics are solid. Hugely looking forward to this.
"A la Halo 2"? Please, that's a Scarab for babies.

belushy

Banned
Guadians seem to correspond with the expression more. I believe that in some of the stages we will have to face the Guardians, and some awesome platforming will be required to take them down.

Clamber could add a lot to that kind of level. Hopefully there is a level like that.

Anyone else notice Chief's hand quivering in the Blue Team intro from 0:10 to 0:16, as he brushes the rear of his helmet where Cortana used to be installed? Might just be a finicky graphical glitch - and hell, I may me imagining it - but if it's intentional, that's a little unsettling. Chief is/(was) stalwart incarnate.

Bessy67

I watched the short IGN one but I think that's it for me. I don't want to see any more campaign before I play it. It'll be nice to see some more MP stuff later this week though.

Akai__

Watched nearly every video. I liked the majority of what I've seen. The music is god damn amazing. Lots of classic Halo themes mixed with some of the better Halo 4 tracks. That mission intro alone made me have goosebumps.

Now let's talk about the Kraken:

The Kraken doesn't look like a standard vehicle to me. Looks more like a mobile base instead of the classic vehicular combat we are familiar with. It also looks like a one time only fight, as that thing seems to be scripted to start and to stop at a certain location. Doesn't seem like it moves freely or that you can get early onto the thing. Well, I hope I'm right and we don't have to destroy multiple Kraken's in the campaign, because that was the only thing that looked a little boring, in my eyes. I totally expect that we will get a crazy big and awesome ground vehicular battle. Halo wouldn't be Halo, if we didn't have at least one Scorpion section.

An other point that I'd like to know is if the Forerunner Phaeton is the only new vehicle? What about returning vehicles like the Revenant, Spectre or the Brute Chopper?

Leyasu

Banned
Anyone else notice Chief's hand quivering in the Blue Team intro from 0:10 to 0:16, as he brushes the rear of his helmet where Cortana used to be installed? Might just be a finicky graphical glitch - and hell, I may me imagining it - but if it's intentional, that's a little unsettling. Chief is/(was) stalwart incarnate.

I saw that. But I thouht that it was a glitch

krang

The only other minor negatives were the revivals, which appear to make the game far too easy, but that might not be the case further in to the game. And lastly, it's the emphasis on Locke. For whatever reason I'm just not as interested in his character or team as Master Chief and his. His character seems a little forced and bland, but again, that might be an opinion that changes after I've played through the game.

Probably something to do with the 4 game, multi-novel history. I'm hoping by the end of Halo 5, and in time for Halo 6, we'll be plenty warmed up to Osiris.

GravyButt

Best preorder deal for this? Im so on the fence about this. I obviously want it, but somethings telling me to proceed with caution for some unknown reason .... (Im thinking its the multiplayer aspect, which is where id be putting in the work)

Best preorder deal for this? Im so on the fence about this. I obviously want it, but somethings telling me to proceed with caution for some unknown reason .... (Im thinking its the multiplayer aspect, which is where id be putting in the work)

The multiplayer is utterly Halo. As in, REALLY good. Just my humble opinion of course, but even HaloGAF(RIP) is for the majority, really looking forward to it. Normally we hate everything. /SLURP.

xboxnerd

Banned

The arena multiplayer embargo will lift on Friday, and Warzone on Sunday. You can decide by then!

Top Bottom