• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

Velikost

Best preorder deal for this? Im so on the fence about this. I obviously want it, but somethings telling me to proceed with caution for some unknown reason .... (Im thinking its the multiplayer aspect, which is where id be putting in the work)

In the U.S.? Best Buy probably; GCU discount if you have it, and a $10 rewards zone certificate after you purchase.

$10 giftcard when you buy it from the Microsoft Store.

belushy

Banned
The articles/videos don't mention an embargo for Forge. It could fall under MP, but I think it will have it's own event/reveal, as Forge is not something that the mass wants to know about.

I'd say they don't care about forge, not that they don't want to know about it.... lol

Trup1aya

Man, I haven't been so stoked for a Halo game since Halo2...

I'm loving the level design so far... Now just give me a couple silent cartographer style levels and I'd say we are in for a real treat...

I also love the juxtaposition of blue team and Osiris...
New and hotheaded vs old an calculated... Good stuff...

Blueblur1

Oh geez, don't remind me. I've done enough platforming onto space baby brains for two lifetimes.

The game has major visual clarity issues in general. All of the enemies are grey and even harder to tell apart than they were in Halo 4, which really shouldn't happen in a "Halo" game.

Yep, when it comes to the art in their games 343 continues to pale in comparison to Bungie.

Ominym

Banned
It seems really dumb that Fred would call Master Chief "Chief" instead of John. Also, holy shit that Pelican re-design is still profoundly bad.

In all honestly I'm a little disappointed in the Blue Team intro, because given what we saw in the Osiris intro I expected a lot more.

shoreu

One big disappointment is how much Blue Team talks. I get that the game has to think for you and it's gotta be action schlock now, but whatever happened to the way Spartan IIs just communicated with acknowledgement lights? They were such efficient death machines that they rarely spoke.

No one but the book readers would have understood the lights and hand gestures unless you read the books. Maybe they are becoming more social as they age. Fred is pretty normal in Last Light so far unlike Fall of Reach John's awkward ass.

OEM

giphy.gif

OldRoutes

It seems really dumb that Fred would call Master Chief "Chief" instead of John. Also, holy shit that Pelican re-design is still profoundly bad.

In all honestly I'm a little disappointed in the Blue Team intro, because given what we saw in the Osiris intro I expected a lot more.

That was the point, I think ; Blue Team is supposed to be much more 'professional' and low-key than Osiris.

Just compare the chatter before the drop in both cinematics.

When 343 going to learn that Chief is the strong, silent type?

Also that opening Blue Team cinematic had completely flat direction. Yikes.

GravyButt

Alright cool I will def check it all out Friday then. Hopefully I wont be disappointed! Maybe it's because MCC was such an epic failure for me that I was really hyped for. Then I was burned on a few other MP games I thought I was really going to like (examples evolve, battlefield hardline, cod) so im just not sure if im burnt out on mp. But luckily ive taken a break.

Yet again a lot of friends will be getting it, and you know that peer pressure! Does the Microsoft store have release day delivery?!

really, really dig the difference between osiris and blue teams intro.

one is loud and fast the other is a lot more subtle. cool dynamic.

Are you talking literally? Because there's nothing in that scene (aside from maybe the bit with the chief holding his helmet) that would call for an off-kilter shot.

As for anything else... well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Random17

The dialogue was a bit awkward but that is to be expected when they are forcibly conversing character names in order for us to learn them.

Otherwise that scene was the perfect contrast to Osiris's opening.

Flipyap

Yep, when it comes to the art in their games 343 continues to pale in comparison to Bungie.
This isn't entirely an art issue. Color coded enemies were more of a game design decision and, if I remember correctly, Bungie's artists originally didn't want to make all the colors so bold, but it was a key element of Halo's design clarity.
It's one of the most basic things 343 designers should understand if they're going to set out to make a Halo game.

"She said that to me once . About being a machine."

9.8/10 writing
"Don't... make a girl a promise... you can't keep."

13/7.2 callback butchery

The dialogue was a bit awkward but that is to be expected when they are forcibly conversing character names in order for us to learn them.

Otherwise that scene was the perfect contrast to Osiris's opening.

yeah im hoping thats just more exposition and not all cutscenes will be like that.

Trup1aya

You think chief talks too much? 343i's handling doesn't seem any different than how he's always been portrayed in the books and games too me...

trixx

really, really dig the difference between osiris and blue teams intro.

one is loud and fast the other is a lot more subtle. cool dynamic.
Yeah. It would be really cool if they could also implement the dynamic in gameplay and not just script/story. Perhaps allow for teammates on Osiris to not follow your orders during single player lol

xboxnerd

Banned
Clamber could add a lot to that kind of level. Hopefully there is a level like that.

I would really, really like to see some action-game-like sequences.
Something like lava chasing behind and you have to maneuver between falling rocks and gaps by using all of your abilities to get away, or a boss destroying standpoints so players are forced to move a lot. (With the epic music kicking in!)

When I first saw Titanfall I dreamed of this, then they announced no SP.
When I first saw COD:AW I dreamed of this, then they locked the jetpack for half the campaign.
When I first saw Evolve I dreamed of this, then it was dead before the monster can grow.

Please don't let me down 343.

Random17

I just noticed the mini plasma thing Hunters fire in addition to their primary weapon.

That's going to be a dick on Legendary, isn't it?

I don't have much to say either way right now about Chief talking more, I think I could like it.

But Fred's kind of offhand comment before the mission.. seems out of place? Not the time or place? Too serious a suggestion to be worth just throwing a line in there?
The implication is interesting, but the way it's placed feels too offhand.

jelly

Halo 4 didn't have great AI, enemies waited for you to finish them off and stood still.

Can't say yet about Halo 5 but they haven't got close to the last Bungie game, Reach. Team mates aside :D

shoreu

I don't have much to say either way right now about Chief talking more, I think I could like it.

But Fred's kind of offhand comment before the mission.. seems out of place? Not the time or place? Too serious a suggestion to be worth just throwing a line in there?

They have been on a lot of missions back to back many people consider it unhealthy but they keep going, he's just worried about him.

El_Chino

Like Buck's comments before a mission starts for Team Osiris? It's the exact same concept.

LordOfChaos

on-the-hunt-for-halo-5s-spark-144293473272.jpg

Dayum. Always did want to see Sanghelios in-game. I hope a decent chunk is there. They also said more exporables than ever, which is great, I also always wanted to stop shooting for a bit and explore alien worlds.

shoreu

I'm waiting for the old man jokes from marines.

I feel like a Spartan IV is going to disrespect and call them obsolete or something. I'll be sure to betray them if that happens.

Also GAF Where are the gifs? I know you have them.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I would really, really like to see some action-game-like sequences.
Something like lava chasing behind and you have to maneuver between falling rocks and gaps by using all of your abilities to get away, or a boss destroying standpoints so players are forced to move a lot. (With the epic music kicking in!)

When I first saw Titanfall I dreamed of this, then they announced no SP.
When I first saw COD:AW I dreamed of this, then they locked the jetpack for half the campaign.
When I first saw Evolve I dreamed of this, then it was dead before the monster can grow.

Please don't let me down 343.
Wasn't that what we saw in the e3 demo?

They have been on a lot of missions back to back many people consider it unhealthy but they keep going, he's just worried about him.
Yeah.. I .. I dunno, I guess I feel it's a serious enough suggestion to where they would either intervene personally or take it higher. They're not new to this, they know their own limits, they'd be trained to know the risks of a soldier or teammate who is overworked / unreliable / danger to themselves.
Like Buck's comments before a mission starts for Team Osiris? It's the exact same concept.
I have lower expectations for the B Team.

RoKKeR

Blue Team intro...damn. Love the interactions between everybody and the music was god tier.

343 delivering the goods.

I just started playing MGS V, and all I can think about is how much I want to be playing Halo 5. (to be fair, finishing Black Flag right before really has me burned out on open-world games)

Akai__

I am hearing that apparently most of that is in 1080p and a locked 60fps. I have to admit, i did not expect that to happen.

Digital Foundry will probably do an analysis of resolution and framerate, once the game is released. They said it's dynamic resolution, so it being 1080p and locked 60FPS most of the time would be pretty awesome.

Glass

I loved that small puzzle element in the 2nd mission where the player had to find the switch by exploring. I hope there's a bunch of that. It was made all the more cooler by being in that old Elite ruin like something out of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Hope there's a bunch of beats where there isn't combat, just exploration.

Digital Foundry will probably do an analysis of resolution and framerate, once the game is released. They said it's dynamic resolution, so it being 1080p and locked 60FPS most of the time would be pretty awesome.

I'm so eager to see them make this analysis!! I want them to show me everything that I can see!

Top Bottom