• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 info dump

krang

BTB on MCC is dead, why would 343 waste resources on a game mode that no one plays?

It's dead because it takes a long time to connect, still. BTB has always been one of, if not THE most highly populated playlist in Halo matchmaking prior to MCC.

Well, for all we know, it still is the most populated playlist, but 343 won't dare show meaningful statistics again, lest we want another halocharts.com showing 343 that they "fucked up".

Very true. Without stats, a long time to connect != a comparatively low population.

Welfare

It's dead because it takes a long time to connect, still. BTB has always been one of, if not THE most highly populated playlist in Halo matchmaking prior to MCC.

Well, for all we know, it still is the most populated playlist, but 343 won't dare show meaningful statistics again, lest we want another halocharts.com showing 343 that they "fucked up".

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
BTB has always been one of, if not THE most highly populated playlist in Halo matchmaking prior to MCC.

Lol no. Just no...

This was ONLY the case in Halo 4 because 95% of the garbage maps in Halo 4 were made for BTB. Even then, there were far more (of the woefully small number of total) players in smaller team games.

Slayer playlists in previous games always had massively higher populations than BTB playlists (BTB couldn't even support ranked in Halo 2/Halo 3) and when you take all playlists into account the 4v4 playlists absolutely dwarfed 8v8 playlists...

Indeed, still have no idea what the thought process was behind the SPNKR being changed.

It needed to look more familiar to the "modern combat gamer".

Uhm that just sounds like a battlefield conquest kind of mode. Bots should never be in a pvp match. It was pointless in Titanfall.
No it wasn't, it offered a lot for game. Made battlefield more vibrant, these grunts trying to survive while pilot, who are like special forces, zip around and stomp around in titans. Basically made it feel more like war is on than just basic arena sports "battle". And also farming those were important to get titan faster.

Lol no. Just no...

This was ONLY the case in Halo 4 because 95% of the garbage maps in Halo 4 were made for BTB. Even then, there were far more (of the woefully small number of total) players in smaller team games.

Slayer playlists in previous games always had massively higher populations than BTB playlists (BTB couldn't even support ranked in Halo 2/Halo 3) and when you take all playlists into account the 4v4 playlists absolutely dwarfed 8v8 playlists...

That isn't really true. BTB was always the most populated game-type in 3, Reach and 4. Ranked Slayer population in these games was typically at most 60% of BTB numbers.

The only way in which lower-player-count playlists "dwarfed" 8v8 is if you took the combined numbers of all playlists into account (6v6, Free-for-all, 4v4, 2v2 etc.), which shouldn't be surprising, as it's obvious.

Without even considering the Spnkr, the H5 Rocket Launcher looks like a turd. It looks like it belongs in Call of Duty and not Halo. A cool looking Rocket Launcher is not hard to design. Destiny has quite a few rocket launchers with good designs so it isn't impossible.

How does it look like it belongs in call of duty? And please design a rocket launcher for us all to see. Fair enough you don't like it but don't be ridiculous.

Tomash

No it wasn't, it offered a lot for game. Made battlefield more vibrant, these grunts trying to survive while pilot, who are like special forces, zip around and stomp around in titans. Basically made it feel more like war is on than just basic arena sports "battle". And also farming those were important to get titan faster.

I agree. They also made Titanfall fast paced - you had to go out there and kill enemy pilots to prevent them from murdering your own bots, you had to harass enemy Titans to stop them from rolfstomping your bots and charging their core, you had to traverse around the map and massacre enemy bots to get titanfall faster. Pilot Hunter(no score on bots) is a much slower mode than Attrition, and Pilot Skirmish(no bots & Titans) is almost unplayable to me. Purpose of bots was to make game fun/easier for noobs - but what they did is quite the opposite -killing bots is just not fun, and they made camping infeasible.

jem0208

I was mainly focusing on the part were you said spread reduced in when zoomed in other halo games which is mostly false. I don't think spread is really all that different(considering the BR is inconsistent still in some halo games) when it comes to being on target; just the bullet magnetism and aim assist would be different obviously, but I think the randomness on were the bullet lands on target is still there. We don't know how final the changes are, 343 can still possibly tweak it again.

I don't think I really said zooming decreases spread, only that zoom has always had accuracy bonuses.

I would love for them to announce MP space battles in Halo 5.

Just to see the fallout when it's finally revealed Battlefront won't have them.

Battlefront has a Air Superiority kind of mode. Its the same shit, just with another background. I dont get the obsession for space battles. At the end it wont matter, Battlefront will sell anyway, even the complainers will buy it.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Bro BTB has always been an extremely popular playlist.

Did I say it was unpopular?

No, I didn't. I didn't even imply it ffs.

To claim it's always been the most populated playlist is 100% false. Until Halo 4 it always played second fiddle to Team Slayer and by a large margin. Hell, right now on Reach TS has twice the players as BTB...

So will weapons be customizable?
weaponscopes.jpg

Oh shit, prepare for loadouts comeback.

My guess is that it will be like this:

Arena MP: No loadouts, equal starts, no weapon customization, weapons on the maps.
Modes: Breakout, Slayer (Slayer variants), Strongholds, Infection, ...?

Big BTB MP: Loadouts (maybe), everyone starts with different weapons or, at least, everyone will be able to customize weapons (different ads, etc) but equal starts. Vehicles and weapons on the maps
Modes: BTB, Conquest-like mode, ...?

I hope they include Juggernaut and Oddball.

JonCha

As someone who has been pushed away from Halo, initially following Halo 4 and the MCC debacle, the campaign sounds very exciting and genuinely different to past Halo games. However my biggest doubts still remain about the multiplayer: it's all well and good focusing on competitive play with the arena but if there are others modes with loadouts and ordnance that continue to introduce randomness into the game, there's no chance of me coming back whatever this new mode is.

If they are gonna include loadouts in the larger modes, please do not include the ability to start with the plasma pistol and/or plasma grenades. Fine with people picking their fancy across the various rifles etc, but damn.. vehicles felt like certain death traps at times.

16BitNova

Why is everyone talking about the rocket launcher? Talk about the pistol! It should be shiny and silver.

I do miss this. Playing through Halo 1 on MCC recently. And when I switch to Classic graphics I think "Man, the pistol looks way better in classic mode!" That shine.

Madness

The only thing MCC needs now is the best Forge maps from the past put into their respective playlists, let's get some of the best maps put into H2A especially. Plus, Reach as a campaign dlc, 1080p/60fps so that you have all the campaigns of the past in one single title.

The only thing MCC needs now is the best Forge maps from the past put into their respective playlists, let's get some of the best maps put into H2A especially. Plus, Reach as a campaign dlc, 1080p/60fps so that you have all the campaigns of the past in one single title.

Im in frickin love with the MCC right now. Working so well online. So much fun.

pieface

I really really hope there's no bots in this new game type. That's not Halo at all and would put me off the new gametype instantly.

For what its worth I dont think it will be. I can however definitely imagine a large Battlefield Conquest style gametype with ground and air vehicles. And I think it would be awesome!

BTM

I agree. They also made Titanfall fast paced - you had to go out there and kill enemy pilots to prevent them from murdering your own bots, you had to harass enemy Titans to stop them from rolfstomping your bots and charging their core, you had to traverse around the map and massacre enemy bots to get titanfall faster. Pilot Hunter(no score on bots) is a much slower mode than Attrition, and Pilot Skirmish(no bots & Titans) is almost unplayable to me. Purpose of bots was to make game fun/easier for noobs - but what they did is quite the opposite -killing bots is just not fun, and they made camping infeasible.

These are correct.

Anyways...only a day left!

Is this game gonna have choice of data centres like Titanfall?

I really don't want to have to connect to America and other 3rd world countries with stone age internet if I can help it :p

krang

Did I say it was unpopular?

No, I didn't. I didn't even imply it ffs.

To claim it's always been the most populated playlist is 100% false. Until Halo 4 it always played second fiddle to Team Slayer and by a large margin. Hell, right now on Reach TS has twice the players as BTB...

If I remember rightly, and I think I do, I said "one of, if not the most popular" in response to someone saying BTB isn't worth any effort.

So the clear failure to read fully what was written, and the patronising "lol no" did nothing other than to make me believe your opinion was worth little of my consideration.

Leyasu

Banned
I'd actually shell out a few bucks for weapon mods. Probably. Maybe.

Frankie plz no

It's coming...

I know that microtransactions is a dirty word, but if that is the trade off for free maps, then I'm for it. Especially if they keep them unlockable through normal playing like halo 4.

Master assassin medal for venator armour or pay a few £€$...! Gow3 also let you unlock or buy weapon skins. Combine the two, its controversial I know. But not the end of the world.

RSB

Banned
Why is everyone talking about the rocket launcher? Talk about the pistol! It should be shiny and silver.
It would be awesome to have the M6D in Halo 5 as a legendary weapon.

Speaking of which, I hope they change the ADS animation for the pistol. IDK why, but it felt super weird in the beta.

It's coming...

I know that microtransactions is a dirty word, but if that is the trade off for free maps, then I'm for it. Especially if they keep them unlockable through normal playing like halo 4.

Master assassin medal for venator armour or pay a few £€$...! Gow3 also let you unlock or buy weapon skins. Combine the two, its controversial I know. But not the end of the world.

Silliness aside, you're right. I'd prefer it if all the additional content was free and the game caused kittens and lollipops to fly out my screen, but none of those can happen. If the trade off is free maps, I'll happily take it.

You beautiful bastards are killing me.

Top Bottom