• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: AMD New ZEN CPU Preview Event

99Luffy

Banned
It scales as low power as Jaguar, at higher performance. 90W TDP is for the desktop 3.4GHz parts binned for clock speed, you could bin it for power appropriate for a console as well.

AMD-zen-IPC-power-improvements.png
AMDs low power is 15 watts right?
Wish they could compete in the 5 watt core m market.

A winning strategy would be to roll out at $350-$400 then sell like hot cakes. Everyone then has to get AM4 boards which will lock people into their future chipsets.

Personally I'm still waiting to upgrade from an fx-8350. The whole 'I gotta buy a new mobo aswell as new ram' is tempering my eagerness.

Hopefully a decent priced cpu will help bring overall costs down when upgrading.

Also I heard am3+ heatsinks will work with ryzen.

A winning strategy would be to roll out at $350-$400 then sell like hot cakes. Everyone then has to get AM4 boards which will lock people into their future chipsets.

Personally I'm still waiting to upgrade from an fx-8350. The whole 'I gotta buy a new mobo aswell as new ram' is tempering my eagerness.

Hopefully a decent priced cpu will help bring overall costs down when upgrading.

Also I heard am3+ heatsinks will work with ryzen.

From a gaming perspective, Ryzen needs to either be cheaper or perform better than the 6700k to make a dent in Intel's marketshare there. If Ryzen can't top the 6700k in gaming performance, or it comes in too high ($500+), then its traction in the gaming market will likely be limited. It will probably do gangbusters in the workstation and server markets regardless. And probably the laptop market if its scales down well.

$350 with near parity to the 6700k/7700k, with more cores and more features, would be an excellent start. $400 might be pushing it a little, but assuming AM4 boards are cheaper than the equivalent Intel offerings, that might still fly.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
AMDs low power is 15 watts right?
Wish they could compete in the 5 watt core m market.
AMD's low power is exactly in the 5-watt range, in the shape of various dual-core Jaguar APUs.

From a gaming perspective, Ryzen needs to either be cheaper or perform better than the 6700k to make a dent in Intel's marketshare there. If Ryzen can't top the 6700k in gaming performance, or it comes in too high ($500+), then its traction in the gaming market will likely be limited. It will probably do gangbusters in the workstation and server markets regardless. And probably the laptop market if its scales down well.

$350 with near parity to the 6700k/7700k, with more cores and more features, would be an excellent start. $400 might be pushing it a little, but assuming AM4 boards are cheaper than the equivalent Intel offerings, that might still fly.

Ryzen needs a 4C/8T CPU model to compete against i3s, i5s and lower end i7s. Majority of gaming PCs aren't built with expensive i7s, most games are not going to be built for more than 4 cores because current console tech doesn't need that.

4 physical cores pushing high clock speeds are going to give great gaming benchmarks and cut on the overall cost. A full scale Ryzen with 8C/16T setup is not a good choice for gaming today, not until some time after PS5.

DieH@rd

Banned
Ryzen needs a 4C/8T CPU model to compete against i3s, i5s and lower end i7s.

AMD will have that covered. According to rumors, desktop Zen CPUs [now known under brand name Ryzen] will come in 4 forms - 4c/8t, 6c/12t, 8c/16t and special edition of 8c/16t.

Older rumors said that AMD will start the production of only 8c/16t big chip, and use that to offer all Zen models that I listed above.

DonMigs85

What I'm interested in is the 4-core/8 thread part rumored to cost $150. If it's relatively close to an i7-6700 or at least a 4790 it'll be a treat

Hesemonni

Banned
What I'm interested in is the 4-core/8 thread part rumored to cost $150. If it's relatively close to an i7-6700 or at least a 4790 it'll be a treat
Then again AMD aren't stupid to leave money on the table. It will be competitively priced, but not dirt cheap..

kami_sama

Then again AMD aren't stupid to leave money on the table. It will be competitively priced, but not dirt cheap..

But they need the marketshare. You also have to account for the extra of having to buy a new motherboard and new ram for those of us that are still on DDR3.

If AMD delivers with Ryzen, my new system will have a 6C or 8C one in it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
But they need the marketshare. You also have to account for the extra of having to buy a new motherboard and new ram for those of us that are still on DDR3.

History in the CPU market seem to favour those who have the HW performance crown (of course hey would not be obscenely priced) with also lots and lots of cheap part wins. In short people will buy the CPU equivalent of the Ferrari Fiesta because they love the Ferrari Enzo model...

VariantX

Did too many people got banned for cursing each other or something?

Thread whining combined with people who don't like angry joe's shtick and try to make the threads about that rather than what was actually said in the videos the threads were based on. The threads wouldn't even be on the front page for long had the people in those two groups simply ignored the threads and stopped bumping them back to the top of the page.

Renekton

http://www.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1010866

Found the AJ meltdown thread.

I think they need the cashflow more than marketshare. Possibly their per wafer margins are not as good as Intel's and Nvidia's 😐

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Please amd don't cheap out and try to save 1 dollar per chip at the expense of overclocking ability, like Intel with current chips. If these overclock well compared to Intel and enthusiasts are using them all over the place, thats the best PR you money could buy.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
being a gaming forum mostly represented by the console ecosystem, its hard to describe how good news this is for Pc gaming judging by how little excitement is shown here.

But for those mostly unaware, AMD is on track to put 1100$ performance (price is bloated by the lack of competition) on your hands by what is predicted to by significantly less money.

Yesterday was a good day

Eylos

Banned
being a gaming forum mostly represented by the console ecosystem, its hard to describe how good news this is for Pc gaming judging by how little excitement is shown here.

Bit for those mostly unaware, AMD is on track to put 1100$ performance (price is bloated by the lack of competition) on your hands by what is predicted to by significantly less money.

Yesterday was a good day

i think this is good news for console gamers like me, in the future we will get new consoles, and this technology could be the new processor of it, we have to wait and see, since amd processors are used on consoles

Zen in Scorpio isn't happening:

The source of the above quote, which is a reiteration of what she said a few months ago, is the Credit Suisse financial conference held just two weeks ago. I used the audio recording of the Q&A to type out said quote myself -- it's not a regurgitation of something I'd read elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong: Zen in Scorpio would be great. But that dream is firmly and unequivocally dead.

Does this mean we will see something in 18/19 that is semi-custom? What other things are there that are semi-custom? aka ps5 talks?

Honestly, even a 4c/8t for $250 + $150 mobo + $100 for 16 DDR4 RAM would be a great deal (total cost $500).

Things will get very interesting if the 6c/12t CPU is within $100 of the 4c/8t one. Upgrading your PC to 6 cores for only $600 would be a steal.

grumble

Does this mean we will see something in 18/19 that is semi-custom? What other things are there that are semi-custom? aka ps5 talks?

Might be 2020 honestly. They need higher bandwidth data transfer solutions for a new generation. The PS4 pro and the Scorpio will be pretty close to 2018 as well.

I'm really hoping everything about Ryzen is legit and great at launch. I'm really rooting for AMD and would love my new PC build to feature a 6-core processor for game development.

Unfortunately AMD marketing has whipped hype up into unrealistic expectations yet again. There's no chance the top Ryzen CPU has better IPC or has generally better performance than a 6900K. It's almost impossible but their silly marketing has people expecting a 6900K beater at 95W for $500. Good luck with that AMD...

Unfortunately AMD marketing has whipped hype up into unrealistic expectations yet again. There's no chance the top Ryzen CPU has better IPC or has generally better performance than a 6900K. It's almost impossible but their silly marketing has people expecting a 6900K beater at 95W for $500. Good luck with that AMD...

Thats because peaople are stupid. In the Blender "Benchmark" they showed both processors performed identically, with the same power consumption.

Zojirushi

AMD needs to get out of this stupid cycle of

1. People hope AMD brings something decent
2. AMD marketing hyping stuff up to the nth degree
3. AMD releases something decent
4, Everyone's disappointed and buys NVIDIA/Intel

Thats because peaople are stupid. In the Blender "Benchmark" they showed both processors performed identically, with the same power consumption.

Same thing happens every time. I even get sucked into it sometimes :)

Yeah. They should temper expectations, I don't understand Lisa Su as this hype only benefits them temporarily, but long term it does more damage than any short-term spike in shares, as everyone will be disappointed, pushing them further to Intel.

Trojan X

Banned
Thread whining combined with people who don't like angry joe's shtick and try to make the threads about that rather than what was actually said in the videos the threads were based on. The threads wouldn't even be on the front page for long had the people in those two groups simply ignored the threads and stopped bumping them back to the top of the page.

Bloody hell. Now that does sound annoying. I hope the banning length wasn't long. Seems to me that a message just had to be put across that BS and derailing to that degree was not to be tolerated.

I finally watched the event. It didn't really tell me anything other than their CPU "possibly" matches the best i7 out there that cost over a grand and runs at a lower wattage. However, due to them not revealing any numbers what so ever I have no idea whether they were lying or half-heartedly speaking the truth. At the end of the event, if they said outright to everyone that the price range would be approximately half the current cost of Intel's best i7 then that would have been enough to make everyone freak out and get their wallets ready for day 0 purchase.

Not even going to talk about the name (Ryzen) for the presentation of the name was a parody itself.

Hell yes. Sorry to say but I completely see that happening here even though I really hope Ryzen and Vega will make Nvidia freak out. After all, CPU and GPU wars are good for US consumers as we end up being the winners.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I feel like you should link threads when you talk about them like this. Because you know I want to see this.
Renekton (post 514) found it. Over a dozen pages in, people were still dropping in to say stuff like "who gives a shit?" and getting banned. It was a bloodbath.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Can anyone sum up the news about these new AMD CPU's? Seems like people being really impressed and others shooting them down. Just curious what the overall feeling and news is.

Papacheeks

Banned
Can anyone sum up the news about these new AMD CPU's? Seems like people being really impressed and others shooting them down. Just curious what the overall feeling and news is.

We dont really know enough from what they showed. They showed some general test's but no real benchmarks out side of the few they showed. And the ones they showed could have been cherry picked tests. We'll know more at CES which is in a couple weeks.

These are slated for like March release.

ethomaz

Banned
It is impressive if you compare with the shit CPUs AMD has in the market right now.
It is meh if you compare with what Intel launched last year.

Choose your side.

IMO expect AMD to catch Intel is being over optimistic but they did a good job for a new line up of CPU.

Newboi

I'm down for upgrading my 3770K to a Zen CPU and AM4 platform if the performance gains justify it. Seeing the new XFR boosting technology really pushes me to invest in a liquid cooler for the CPU.

Look like I'll be getting a new CPU, Fan, motherboard, ram, and Case lol...

Question though, if you purchased an OEM copy of Windows (I purchased Windows 7 a while pack then upgraded to windows 10), will I need to pay for a new key if I change my motherboard, CPU, and ram?

ethomaz

Banned
I'm down for upgrading my 3770K to a Zen CPU and AM4 platform if the performance gains justify it. Seeing the new XFR boosting technology really pushes me to invest in a liquid cooler for the CPU.

Look like I'll be getting a new CPU, Fan, motherboard, ram, and Case lol...

Question though, if you purchased an OEM copy of Windows (I purchased Windows 7 a while pack then upgraded to windows 10), will I need to pay for a new key if I change my motherboard, CPU, and ram?
OEM key is tied to one hardware and you can't change or move it.

My key is the normal... so I can shift hardware just calling MS support to desactivate the old hardware before use the key in the new one.

Bl@de

I agree. I hope for the best but I don't expect anything after the last years of AMD CPUs.

Teletraan1

Banned
It is impressive if you compare with the shit CPUs AMD has in the market right now.

Choose your side.

IMO expect AMD to catch Intel is being over optimistic but they did a good job for a new line up of CPU.

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of where the R&D budgets of each companies go. As a whole Intel is spending at least 10x what AMD is (2015 was over 12x), so it is pretty impressive to even come close if the R&D budgets are actually that far apart. Getting in the competitive ballpark is all they can hope for barring some breakthrough or Intel stumbling down the wrong path like Netburst.

ethomaz

Banned
It would be interesting to see the breakdown of where the R&D budgets of each companies go. As a whole Intel is spending at least 10x what AMD is (2015 was over 12x), so it is pretty impressive to even come close if the R&D budgets are actually that far apart. Getting in the competitive ballpark is all they can hope for barring some breakthrough or Intel stumbling down the wrong path like Netburst.
I can understand that way of thinking but at the end the consumer doesn't care about R&D to buy a new product. What matter here is perf/watt plus price... no matter how $$$ in R&D.

It is impressive what they did with what they have in hands... a boost in IPC in 40% range is something else to talk about in a tech forum.

But what that mean for us consumers???

They will beat Intel? No. So they need to price right to stay close possible to Intel waiting a mistake like you said. The value of Zen will most be defined by the price AMD choose to play.

AMD is in a bad position in terms of launch because they are too late to the party... their 2017 products were supposed to compete with Intel and nVidia 2016 products... but now Zen will try to find a place against next Intel CPUs (7xxx or even 8xxx) and Vega will try to find a place against nVidia next generation of GPUs.

I can understand that way of thinking but at the end the consumer doesn't care about R&D to buy a new product. What matter here is perf/watt plus price... no matter how $$$ in R&D.

It is impressive what they did with what they have in hands... a boost in IPC in 40% range is something else to talk about in a tech forum.

But what that mean for us consumers???

They will beat Intel? No. So they need to price right to stay close possible to Intel waiting a mistake like you said. The value of Zen will most be defined by the price AMD choose to play.

AMD is in a bad position in terms of launch because they are too late to the party... their 2017 products were supposed to compete with Intel and nVidia 2016 products... but now Zen will try to find a place against next Intel CPUs (7xxx or even 8xxx) and Vega will try to find a place against nVidia next generation of GPUs.

The thing is though, with AMD, is that while Ryzen is going up against processors of last year that are still very viable today. Intel's CPU launches have been so minimal in performance boost from year to year that AMD is also still competing with the upcoming Intel CPUs. While a jump from an i7-2xxx series to an i7-7xxx is a pretty big leap, it doesn't mean that the new AMD chip is that behind what Intel has to offer right now. Basically, it's AMD's chance to capitalize on Intel's slow moving improvements from iteration to iteration.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Except they haven't managed to do 3 since Phenom II in 2008, which didn't actually get that much hype compared to Phenom, Bulldozer, or Zen since it was coming off the massively disappointing original Phenom.

Unless by "decent" you mean "a functional processor." But really, there was no reason to buy AMD during the original Phenom or Bulldozer days unless you got the CPU+motherboard dirt cheap, because Intel completely trounced them on every level.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
So, how good are we realistically expecting Ryzen to be? Will the 8c/16t version really compete with a 6900k at ~$500?

Papacheeks

Banned

Choose your side.

It actually is impressive since it's going to be coming in at a much lower price than what Intel has released.

Which was the entire point of the setups they had at the event. And the fact they kept referencing price of the 6900k.

So, how good are we realistically expecting Ryzen to be? Will the 8c/16t version really compete with a 6900k at ~$500?

That's what AMD would like us to believe. But the benchmarks won't lie. We just have to wait until early next year for those.

If they can even get within sptting distance for that pricepoint though, that would be something.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I don't care what you guys say; I'm confident that it will match Haswell IPC at minimum. ANyone expecting not much of an improvement over Piledriver is silly and wrong.

The thing is though, with AMD, is that while Ryzen is going up against processors of last year that are still very viable today. Intel's CPU launches have been so minimal in performance boost from year to year that AMD is also still competing with the upcoming Intel CPUs. While a jump from an i7-2xxx series to an i7-7xxx is a pretty big leap, it doesn't mean that the new AMD chip is that behind what Intel has to offer right now. Basically, it's AMD's chance to capitalize on Intel's slow moving improvements from iteration to iteration.

This is true - Skylake to the recent Kaby Lake release is technically a new gen but the improvement to IPC is precisely zero. Nothing. Just a tiny, tiny bump in efficiency, and even that is debatable. Expect the same from whatever comes after Kaby Lake.

Some guys think that Intel ain't offering much more each gen because they don't need to as there is no competition, and that as soon as Ryzen is released they'll pull something out the bag to crush it. I have my doubts about that. The performance they're giving is as much as they are able. They do, however, have the capacity to be much more aggressive with price, and that could hurt AMD for sure.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Everyone should curb their views until the price being announced. It could be the best cpu in a decade or just a match to the intel ones.

Either way, price will settle opinions. No one can say they are disappointing without knowing it.

AmyS

The thing I don't understand about Vega is, it has 8GB HBM2 and gets 512 GB/sec bandwidth. Why isn't that higher than Radeon Fury X with its 4GB HBM1 which also gets 512 GB/sec bandwidth?

I thought HBM2 is meant to have 2x the bandwidth of HBM1.

Top Bottom