• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Japanese trademarks from Sega (Shenmue), Sony, Square Enix and more

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like on that Train too, Please.

Just bought my ticket!

Welcome aboard gentlemen!

5ngzZog.jpg

honestly guys, it has to be happening now right? the Shenmue registered update, hints from top guys at Sony/MS.

fuck it, i think its gonna happen. put me on the motherfuckin hype train!

Guys I’m off to bed now (its 1:40am for me). Everyone that requests to be put on the hype train will definitely be put on tomorrow....

It’s probably best I update the picture with more requests in-between anyway so I don’t have to post it about 300 hundred times! :p

Jinko

Didn't Phil Spencer say something about Shenmue in last couple of months?

"As the conversation with the customers today centers around the content that we have, that's the majority of my focus. And we're talking to developers about the next thing they want to be doing on Xbox."

Spencer said the biggest request he hears from Xbox owners is that gamers want Microsoft to bring back Shenmue, Sega and Yu Suzuki's unfinished action adventure epic. "The big Shenmue contingency," he said with a laugh, has definitely managed to garner his attention.

As much as hate to admit it, this has some chance to come to Xbox. :(

I would sooner it come to WiiU than XBO tbh.

Spencer has stated several times that he and MS cnt build Shenmue, and that he'd rather focus on first party titles.

In regards to what console shenmue should be on, who cares. We'll whatever we can get at this point.

"As the conversation with the customers today centers around the content that we have, that's the majority of my focus. And we're talking to developers about the next thing they want to be doing on Xbox."

Spencer said the biggest request he hears from Xbox owners is that gamers want Microsoft to bring back Shenmue, Sega and Yu Suzuki's unfinished action adventure epic. "The big Shenmue contingency," he said with a laugh, has definitely managed to garner his attention.

As much as hate to admit it, this has some chance to come to Xbox. :(

I would sooner it come to WiiU than XBO tbh.

I want it wherever it goes. You should too!

Majukun

10172628_636407483101716_6854446419018948690_n.jpg

Guys.

According to Shenmue500k Discussion regarding this screenshot of the trademark from Shenmuedojo.net the trademark filing is NEW. Not a renewal of an old trademark. Meaning, SEGA had to have actively filed for a brand new trademark.

doesn't that just mean that the original tardemark expired and they had to file a new one to protect their IP?

Axass

YES! THAT FUCKIN' DRAGON MIRROR HAS FINALLY BEEN DUG OUT FROM UNDER THE FUCKIN' CHERRY TREE!!!!

GIVE IT TO ME! HYPEEEE!

Ticket please.

Majukun

why would they let it expire and leave it for 6 months then do a new one 2 weeks before E3?

well,their rights to the series did expire some months ago..there was a news about it...even though now that I check, it was in NA,not in japan

Coxy

well,their rights to the series did expire some months ago..there was a news about it...even though now that I check, it was in NA,not in japan

read back through the thread, I already pointed out their japanese one expired 20/8/13

Majukun

read back through the thread, I already pointed out their japanese one expired 20/8/13

one more reason for this to be just a renewal...if they are showing it to E3,it's not like they started development today...so it wouldn't make sense for them to let expire the rights for a franchise if they have a game of said franchise in development at the same moment.
Shenmue 3 PS4 exclusive at E3, meltings every where .

i really can't see sony putting money on the table for shenmue...they are winning hands down at the moment,so they don't have to risk some serious money just for a shock announcement...

_Ryo_

doesn't that just mean that the original tardemark expired and they had to file a new one to protect their IP?

I don't think the Japanese Shenmue trademark had expired yet.

Edit: Or maybe it has.

Still this doesn't seem to be a renewal of an old trademark but an entirely new trademark.

jaosobno

I'm 99% sure that Bloodborne = Project Beast.

And while I'm sure that Shenmue reboot/remake would have some success on the market, I'm not sure it would be a smash hit that GAF expects it to be. In fact, I haven't noticed any particular hype about it, outside of GAF that is.

Coxy

one more reason for this to be just a renewal...if they are showing it to E3,it's not like they started development today...so it wouldn't make sense for them to let expire the rights for a franchise if they have a game of said franchise in development at the same moment.

According to another gaffer Shenmue 1 & 2 HD are done, they just wouldnt pay the licencing for the engines/tools etc to release it. I imagine if any company was going to make an announcement it's going to be mostly that

i really can't see sony putting money on the table for shenmue...they are winning hands down at the moment,so they don't have to risk some serious money just for a shock announcement...

I dont think Sony see this gen being about "winning", their stated goal is to get back to PS1/2 days of game diversity

And while I'm sure that Shenmue reboot/remake would have some success on the market, I'm not sure it would be a smash hit that GAF expects it to be. In fact, I haven't noticed any particular hype about it, outside of GAF that is.

neither you nor I nor anyone here has a position where our anecdotes about hype mean anything. The people who do have such a position like Adam Boyes and Phil Spencer have all said Shenmue is very highly demanded. dont bother coming back with "yeah but that's just vocal people on twitter" if that's your argument you can sit in the corner with the Type-0 fans crying about how Tales didnt have any hype. Sony have already proven to listen to actual voices not some ethereal idea of "hype"

jaosobno

neither you nor I nor anyone here has a position where our anecdotes about hype mean anything. The people who do have such a position like Adam Boyes and Phil Spencer have all said Shenmue is very highly demanded. dont bother coming back with "yeah but that's just vocal people on twitter" if that's your argument you can sit in the corner with the Type-0 fans crying about how Tales didnt have any hype. Sony have already proven to listen to actual voices not some ethereal idea of "hype"

Define "very high demand" and tell me, how can Sony and Microsoft actively measure "demand"?

Let's see:

1. They can see people asking for Shenmue on forums.
2. Like it or not, they can check their twitter.
3. They can ask a few thousand people in some kind of online survey.

Now, let's say that Sony or Microsoft do this and get confirmation from a few thousand people asking for a new game.

Shenmue would need to sell millions of copies to be a success. Did Sony or Microsoft ask millions of people whether they would buy the game? Of course they didn't.

Now, considering that both Shenmue games were commercial failures (and that is precisely why Shenmue 3 was never made), please explain to me this expectation of wild success for eventual sequel or reboot.

Xpliskin

I don't know if old, saw this at shenmuedojo.com

The ryo DLC for that sonic racing game, look at the plate.

ss_fe260872b5f9568cbdb87bc3496ac47fd08b858e.600x338.jpg

Reads "Shen 3".
The dlc got released in january 2014, not so long ago.

subliminal hint? /tinfoil hat

Also, the shenmue.com website is still down.
Someone translated the filing and it encompasses many platforms (it's a typical game filing) : from console, portable to PCs . It's a template basically.

god I hate doing this to myself

Rurunaki

I have this strange feeling that the big 3rd party exclusive Microsoft recently acquired being hinted at is Shenmue. They have the money for it and the previous Shenmue was on the OG Xbox.

Platform debates aside.

If there is going to be a new release it seems likelier to be an upgraded port a la Perfect Dark XBLA of the two titles.
And frankly, it seems the better course of action given that a full third installment is comparatively more financially risky while the ports would be a safer investment and can test the waters.

Spaghetti

Now, considering that both Shenmue games were commercial failures (and that is precisely why Shenmue 3 was never made), please explain to me this expectation of wild success for eventual sequel or reboot.
hold it cowboy

the original shenmue was a million plus seller (the budget is what made it 'fail')

the second might have done the same if the dreamcast hadn't been dead in the water by the time of release or if it was released on ps2 instead of xbox

considering that gamers are a lot more accepting of story-based and slower paced titles than ever before, coupled with the fact that shenmue is the ultimate cult following game (and now that duke nukem forever is out/ffv13 is now ff15 it's the last great gaming white whale), why couldn't it be a success (if even a limited one')?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom