• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters XIV teaser reveals Leona and CHANG KOEHAN

Whompa02

Looks absolutely horrible from a visual standpoint. What a massive shame considering how beautiful the 2d sprites were...honestly this looks like it lacks art direction.

Gameplay wise it looks like an actual KOF game especially with how it animates. However, it looks like it animates like KOF2K2 and not XIII. There isn't really any smoothness to them so it comes off as choppy. The graphics themselves don't help much but some camera worth and tweaking can make it more appealing.

I think some proper hitstun and increased animation frames/smoothness can help things a bit but at least now it looks like it plays like a KOF game.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It looks better than the first trailer BUT this still looks like a budget release set to release in 2007 because it doesn't match the visuals standards set by today's fighters such as SFV/Xrd/MKX or heck even Tekken 7 looks better than this.

It looks like they copied the Xrd approach to animation and used only hand recreations of the exact frames from 1994, but without the game looking really good in stills...

It looks very stiff and the hits look like they don't have any impact to it, if they added more frames of animation during the hits, the animation will flow a lot better. Also the characters kinda look "pasted" on there for some reason and it looks off. Good to see that it's not like the 3Dish Maximum Impact series but 2.5D like SF/GG but it still looks very disappointing visual wise. I'm still optimistic though since it's still pretty early footage and hope they tweak the shit outta it whenever they release it.

Would like the FF crew but bring back Gato please.

Posted this in the Reveal Trailer thread:

I want to be excited for this, but when I look at Guilty Gear Xrd, Street Fighter V and Tekken 7, the visuals on KOFXIV look pretty dated, and no where better than XIII's despite it was 2D. I would need a longer gameplay video to say for sure, but so far it doesn't look too fun to play either.

Iori's outfit is pretty boss though, so there's that.

Mik317

Looks better than the reveal but yeeeesh.

This would be "fine" last gen but next to its peers it just looks poor.

Hopefully they keep grinding and improving or at the very least the gameplay is great...but yeeeah.

I get why they went to 3D, sprites are expensive especially the quality they had hit before but I still think they could improve beyond what has been shown yet. This doesnt even look better than SFIV...thats bad

Mephala

I'm all for new stuff and I hope this game improves a bit more before release, currently I'm not very impressed and am a bit disappointed to see the state of my favourite fighting game franchise.

I kinda wish they just made King of Fighters XIII 2. Add some more nonsense story and a few extra teams with a hidden SNK asshole boss or two. Then later Ash Returns: King of Fighters XIII.

smik

Gameplay look a lot better than initial tease, but maann... is kyo and iori design messed up, they need a lot of work especially the faces

Chang's prison outfit is apparently from South Town, aka the home of Fatal Fury. On the back, it says "South Town Jail" and Chang painted the word "Breaker!"(I think) underneath the "Jail" part of the outfit.

hUErifT.jpg

That's a detail I like.

I think it's Still early but man this game looks ROUGH like someone's Mugen Characters Rough. But I have hopes that it will be a good fighter.

I need my Terry Bogard fix

SFV can't gimme that

solomon

This looks like shit, though I've never been into kof the art style always stood out. So to the studio making this game
VRstEL2.gif

Tizoc

Chang's prison outfit is apparently from South Town. On the back, it says "South Town Jail" and Chang painted the word "Breaker!"(I think) underneath the "Jail" part of the outfit.

That's a detail I like.

Good eye.
I just now realized that Jail breaker Cody and Chang need to appear together in a new CvS or SvC lol.

Momentary

Banned
Man this hurts my heart to see this game like this. Hopefully it gets an overhaul later on. The background and character models look like something for iOS or Android.

How are people judging the gameplay based off of this? We saw almost nothing and it doesn't look much better than the last trailer.

Looks a lot better than the first reveal. At the least, the game looks fun to play. I'm interested in trying it out.

This artstyle is horrendous it doesn't matter if they get nicer 3D models in the end, the art direction is garbage.

Really? Because I think the artstyle is the only thing that's considered redeemable about how this game looks. If the 3D models looked better, had more frames of animations in their models and the backgrounds just overall looked better, I think the game could look really good.

Edit: Some more hitstun and other visual effects could also go a long way as well now that I've rewatched it a few times.

Edit 2: 60 FPS makes the animations look much nicer. Game looks a lot better than the first teaser, though I can only hope they continue to improve and make the game look good.

Warxard

Banned
How are people judging the gameplay based off of this? We saw almost nothing and it doesn't look much better than the last trailer.

That's easy. we can easily tell which Kyo it is by the SDM and the other specials. It's Orochi-Era Kyo and Claw Iori.

Judging by the way some of the specials linked in Kyo's combo it wouldn't be hard to say that Dream Canceling could be back

Cleve

Glad to have Leona & Flame Iori back, but fucking hell this game still looks like something from summer of arcade '08

Phu

Banned
I'm not super into fighting games but I like watching stuff like EVO and KoF was a game that always looked great because of its spritework and not despite of it.

Top Bottom