• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters XIV teaser reveals Leona and CHANG KOEHAN

sleepykyo

Chang's prison outfit is apparently from South Town, aka the home of Fatal Fury. On the back, it says "South Town Jail" and Chang painted the word "Breaker!"(I think) underneath the "Jail" part of the outfit.

That's a detail I like.

Kind of surprised that Chang is the only character that doesn't look awful. Really not feeling the art direction and the animation at the moment.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Kyo does his crouching weak -> Crouch Fierce Link. Leona's Combo into Command Normal -> X-Calibur is very XII / XIII-style. It's good to see these things, that actually DOES hint at gameplay and moveset inspirations.

The Southtown Jail Logos on Chang's Shirt also bring up questions... when was he in Southtown's Jail? And the fact it's these 2 introduced together (hinting back to the KoF 98 intro salute) is something only people who know something of the series would appreciate. Leona's outfit is obviously taking cues from XII / XIII, which I have no issues with.

I actually appreciate some of the looks on the characters faces as they attack. At their worse, they wouldn't be animated at all. At least they're actually softly emoting. It really gives the idea that the art style is a choice to allow them to put the amount of detail / characters they want. If it's going to look this "eh", lets hope it's for a solid reason.

Yeah, those backgrounds... SIGNS! LOTS OF SIGNS! ... We'll Miss you, XII and XIII's lively backgrounds.

It's nice to see more. And nice to see a returning character that hasn't been in the newer games.

Breads

Banned
Looks a lot better than the first impression we got.

jCjOEm5.png

I know the game doesn't look super good right now graphics wise, but man I'm just super excited that a FOFXIV Is happening at all. Besides the release of this games is most likely still quite a ways away so I'll reserve judgement on this one till we get closer to release. At the end of the day though, graphics don't mean everything, so as long as the gameplay is good I don't really care, and personally I think what they've shown so far is promising.

Yaqoub

Graphics are still rough and hard to swallow, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since I feel kind of optimistic from what they've shown from gameplay.

Hope they improve it more.

How on earth did SNK-P think that moving from top-notch 2D to fugly 3D could be a good idea? It's really beyond me. They already had 25ish characters ready to go, they could have just spent these years since KOF XIII came out creating another 6-8, drawing some more backgrounds, a new UI, new selection screen... and BAHM, here's KOF XIV, probably a much better (and well received) one than the one they're cooking right now.

I mean, SNK has always meant "beautiful 2D" to gamers. It continued to do so even in those dark early 3D ages, when every game franchise on earth abandoned it to jump on the 3D bandwagon. One would think that they learned their lesson with the Hyper NG 64... but no, here we are again.

I don't know, maybe I'm a bit too harsh, but seeing that Neo Geo logo thrown in that UGLY 3D game, in what once was the standard bearer of 2D fighting games... it hurts :(.

impact

Banned
13 looks miles better from a graphical standpoint. What the fuuuuuuuuck were they thinking?

This is way cheaper/faster/easier to make from what I understand

The only reason XIII worked was because they released a beta for it in the form of an official retail game called KoF XII :x

Keep in mind folks that beside the job listings for a new 3D KOF a couple years back... they were also hiring for a new 3D Samurai Shodown.

... I'm sure they're up to the challenge of making something that can look even worse than the previous 3D attempts at that series

people are posting "Hyper Neo Geo 64" as a joke but

tumblr_nx0uo6VUsg1sibomdo2_500.gif
tumblr_nx0uo6VUsg1sibomdo1_500.gif

if the game actually looked the part i would at least compliment them on the stylization

MiguelItUp

I want it to be good, but I swear every time they go 3D they just end up kind of janky. This doesn't even look as good as Street Fighter IV in my opinion. I'll still be cautiously optimistic.

I seriously don't get it.

The fighting game scene is a niche that demands so much. Even indie fighters have interesting systems an cool art.

I don't know how they looked at this and thought it would compete. I mean, maybe the gameplay will blow my mind somehow, but what a terrible impression man.

20131118_FighterWithin_Screen_J-Gun-vs-Matt.jpg

Fighter Within looks better. Fighter Within.

Hey, at least it won't have kinect controls.
ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT.

Reminds me of THPS5 where it looks like a touched up Ipad game... But SNK fans seem like they are going through the 5 stages of grief with the original announcement of KOFIV.

Relique

How on earth did SNK-P think that moving from top-notch 2D to fugly 3D could be a good idea? It's really beyond me. They already had 25ish characters ready to go, they could have just spent these years since KOF XIII came out creating another 6-8, drawing some more backgrounds, a new UI, new selection screen... and BAHM, here's KOF XIV, probably a much better (and well received) one than the one they're cooking right now.

I mean, SNK has always meant "beautiful 2D" to gamers. It continued to do so even in those dark early 3D ages, when every game franchise on earth abandoned it to jump on the 3D bandwagon. One would think that they learned their lesson with the Hyper NG 64... but no, here we are again.

I don't know, maybe I'm a bit too harsh, but seeing that Neo Geo logo thrown in that UGLY 3D game, in what once was the standard bearer of 2D fighting games... it hurts :(.

These have been my thoughts exactly. People keep saying "Sprites are too expensive," but I honestly don't see how creating sprites for 8-10 new characters can be more expensive than making a brand new game on a new engine.

13 has the right amount of complexity and is well balanced. What stopped it from being bigger is the very late console port and absolutely horrid netcode on the console version. They really missed an opportunity here I think.

All they had to do was rebalance the existing 36 a bit, give each one a shiny new super or special to make them feel fresh and add a handful of missing favorite characters and I would be much more excited. I don't buy that this would cost them more than creating this new 2.5D game.

I think if this game came out last gen, it wouldn't be so bad. Kinda looks like a wannabe SFIV. At least there's no Falcoon influence in the art style or designs, that's a nice step forward as far as I'm concerned.

Sayad

20131118_FighterWithin_Screen_J-Gun-vs-Matt.jpg

Fighter Within looks better. Fighter Within.

Hey, at least it won't have kinect controls.
ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT.
Dunno, is FW supposed to look bad? Those models look better than MK9's! Faces are comparable to MKX's none masked humans even.

Spman2099

Because it took them like 18 months to do a single character. Very expensive stuff.

Aren't there, like, thirty three unique characters in KoF XIII?

Does that mean it took forty four years to make that game?

Something doesn't sound right about that...

22 of those were recycled from KOF 12...

... but yeah 18 months does sound off- I seem to remember 8 months

Woooooooooow! I thought Killer Instinct had set the standard for bad animations in a modern day fighter but holy crap. Is there anyway this game isn't a failure?

Sayad

XII did take about three years to make and had 22 characters. They obviously can work on more than one character at a time. XIII came out a year later but 6 of its new characters were palette swaps. It's not 18 months per character though.

Spman2099

22 of those were recycled from KOF 12...

... but yeah 18 months does sound off- I seem to remember 8 months

Wait... Wasn't there less than two years between XII and XIII?

If there were eleven new characters in XIII, that means it would take eighty eight months to make it (if each character took eight months, that is).

Guy's my math isn't great, but I am pretty sure there are less than eighty eight months in two years.

XII did take about three years to make and had 22 characters. Though they obviously can work on more than one character at a time.

Okay, so what you are saying is that it took sixteen months FOR ONE MEMBER of the team to make a character? Or that it took sixteen months to make multiple characters simultaneously? I am partially being silly, but I am also genuinely confused. Either way, there are some obvious problems with these numbers (or at the very least, how these numbers are being presented)...

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Woooooooooow! I thought Killer Instinct had set the standard for bad animations in a modern day fighter but holy crap. Is there anyway this game isn't a failure?

no idea xD
the only thing kof had was nice 2d sprites..
and they ditched it.

great another series dead

Bardiche

Although it doesn't look great, it's still an improvement in comparison to the first trailer. Would've preferred Heidern although Leona is the more established character. Now, we just need Mature in this game.

Top Bottom