• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New King of Fighters XIV teaser reveals Leona and CHANG KOEHAN

That's easy. we can easily tell which Kyo it is by the SDM and the other specials. It's Orochi-Era Kyo and Claw Iori.

Judging by the way some of the specials linked in Kyo's combo it wouldn't be hard to say that Dream Canceling could be back
Seeing a few special moves doesn't say anything about how the game plays or the quality.

HardRojo

I'm really interested in a new KoF. The Peruvian KoF scene is big and we have really good players, so I'm hoping this improves significantly by the time it is released as I definitely love me some KoF.

Swarna

Doesn't look too bad here at 60 FPS, just a little bland. I think filters could do wonders for the models.

The reason I'm not interested in this game yet is because I think fighting games need cross-platform as a minimum in this day and age. The communities themselves really need to be fostered. Fighting games in general severely lack people with good business and marketing sense behind them. I know the budget is low but I'd think stuff like that should be high priority.

Vlaphor

The only good thing

CS8IG3aWUAI_Lti.jpg:orig

I also noticed that as well...and by noticed I mean I paused the video and moved the slider to find it.

Game still currently looks like garbage though, but we'll see how it progresses in the future.
I'm kinda getting this feeling of this being an Early Access trailer.

GooeyHeat

Well this looks pretty damn bad, all things considered. Even improvements to the animations or other visual things like the hitstop (which is way too much compared to the speed of the characters' animations) won't save the art style. KOF games other than 13 weren't necessarily lookers compared to their contemporaries but for a game that's out next year this looks at least a generation and a half behind.

At least it has Chang. This series was always better when it had some balls. It could probably play okay if they mess with the animation flow, the hitstop, and other visual things. I mean, the characters' animations are accurately imitating their mid-90's sprites, if nothing else.
Anyway, I expect the game to bomb and SNK Playmore to quietly fall even further into obscurity. It's just not enough compared to its competition (Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, Guilty Gear Xrd).

How do they go from 13 to this. Ugh...

Oh wow, I came in to say EXACTLY this. Like, verbatim.

Not everything in XIII was my cup of tea graphically... I didn't necessarily like the "roided-out" characters or the funny looking female characters. But for what it was, the game was very pretty indeed.

But this... What the hell is this? I guess SNK won't ever go back to its "right before bankruptcy" days, when they put some of their best-looking and best playing games... Garou and Last Blade 2 come to mind, but KoF 2000 had a fantastic art direction as well.

Honestly, this is even below Doujin-level, because Indie-fighting games are now like Skullgirls/Ougou Musoukyoku, so this is beyond words.

DrArchon

OK, so ignoring that this game looks rough as fuck, I have to ask, why would the second and third revealed characters be Leona and Chang? They're far far far FAR from the most recognizable and popular KOF characters. Could've had Terry, or Kim, or Athena, or Ralph, or a brand new character.

Yea its starting to look actually servicable now in 60fps. Maybe once the UI is in place we'll get an idea of what a match would be and what everyone will be looking at.

People need to get over that we aren't getting sprites anymore cause its too expensive, and we can't expect them to just copy/paste GGXrd because the art and gameplay is too different (reminds me immediately of people whining of KOF XIII(then XII) sprites not looking as good as Blazblue)

Warxard

Banned
OK, so ignoring that this game looks rough as fuck, I have to ask, why would the second and third revealed characters be Leona and Chang? They're far far far FAR from the most recognizable and popular KOF characters. Could've had Terry, or Kim, or Athena, or Ralph, or a brand new character.

Leona was revealed ages ago through promotional material. Chang is Korean an. Is really popular with Korean players more so than Kim and Jhun so of course he made it in.

213372bu

Banned
Looks absolutely terrible.

From Character design, to stage design, to animation... this game lacks in every department that made 13 standout.

I mean the lighting is so bad that I honestly thought Iori's white shading was .png artifacting.

I hope this isn't that far in development.

I'm not sure that SNK and 3D go together. Even at a time when I would eat up almost ANYTHING from SNK , when they first released Maximum Impact I was like... "hmmmmmm, NO." And this looks worse than Maximum Impact, by a stretch.

Glad to see Chang. Leona... She's cool, but any time she is in a game, it reduces the chances of Heidern being in the same game, and for me, from a character design perspective, Heidern >>>> Leona.

Spman2099

For the love of God, will people stop posting images of how KoF used to look! It makes my heart hurt too much...

and we can't expect them to just copy/paste GGXrd because the art and gameplay is too different

That is nonsense. It isn't going to have Xrd style graphics because they don't have the talent necessary to execute them.

Instead we have this mess...

DrArchon

Leona was revealed ages ago through promotional material. Chang is Korean an. Is really popular with Korean players more so than Kim and Jhun so of course he made it in.

Oh, I didn't know this was revealed in Korea (completely forgot about the press event there). Yeah, Chang makes way more sense now. Also didn't know Leona was revealed earlier. Shows how up to date I am.

Anyway, I'm glad the game looks better than it's initial reveal. I'll miss the sprites of course, but as long as it plays like a good KOF game I can't be too mad.

Producer

looks a bit better than before and leona is cool but....damn that is rough. The hitstop is pretty bad.

ppl in the thread going a bit crazy with the hyperbole though

TreIII

After seeing the 60fps version, you can definitely tell they wanted to try and animate the game as if it was straight from the MVS. Which not everybody is going to like, but definitely slides in with them shooting for "close to 98" goal.

Now, if they can just have the actual animations themselves look better..

Spman2099

The only chance is for Sony to just dump money and talent on this. They would essentially need to take over. As is, there is very little hope.

My stupid brain will still want it if Vanessa makes the roster...

bon

I don't think it's hideous, but it's a big step down from the beauty of KOFXIII, and the competition of SFV and GGXrd blow it out of the water. I'm still hoping that this is somewhat early and it will look more stylish by the time it comes out, because I see potential there.

People need to get over that we aren't getting sprites anymore cause its too expensive, and we can't expect them to just copy/paste GGXrd because the art and gameplay is too different (reminds me immediately of people whining of KOF XIII(then XII) sprites not looking as good as Blazblue)

Going 3D does not mean it has to look like GGXrd ( they could make the game play work if they had the talent )
But SF4 was 3D and this looks way worst than that in every way , hell Battle Fantasia looks better than this .

Psyren

Eh. Looks a little bit better compared to the last reveal, but fuck me i think i'd rather keep playing Girl Fight if i had to pick a low-budget fighting game to play at this point in time...

petghost

Banned
i like the fact that the incredibly long hitstop gives you time to stop and reflect on why you are playing this game. nice touch.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's still way early, and the game will be changing a lot (hopefully) over the next year or so, but I don't understand how people are saying this actually looks good. It's pretty much impossible to tell much of anything from the trailer gameplay-wise. I mean, it's 60 fps, but that's a given. And if they couldn't maintain 60fps with the current graphical fidelity, I'd have serious concerns.

Top Bottom