• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NieR Automata Info. Characters, Footage, etc.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks like she simply took her clothes off. If you compare her design to 2B's, you'll notice some strange markings on her shoulders and her legs. Maybe she's the one who rebels against the "system" of some sort.

Yeah, my theory is that she was on the planet long before the other two showed up...they are brand new with their gear and shit still on, and still in that robotic type of mindset, whereas A2 has essentially broken with her programming supposedly

K.Sabot

While for other games, they have rewritten stuff that makes context of dialog in the Japanese game be ruined in the western release.

Did they do Drakengard 3?

Cause D3 was butchered.

The english VA butchered the story tone and not even the Japanese VA DLC could fix the alternate script.

Probably my least favorite thing about that game (which was my #2 for 2014 surprisingly).

Labadal

Cause D3 was butchered.

The english VA butchered the story tone and not even the Japanese VA DLC could fix the alternate script.

Probably my least favorite thing about that game (which was my #2 for 2014 surprisingly).

I know they've worked on Tales games and some other stuff that were butchered.

Dio

Banned

Cause D3 was butchered.

I don't really agree that it was butchered. They tried really hard and did a good job, but they made a fatal mistake in attempting to characterize Zero as basically 'perpetually angry asshole' when she's more like 'apathetic and would rather kill you than listen to you because it's less effort'. I get WHY they did this, but I don't agree with it at all. It completely changes your perception of her and makes it more of a contrast when she does get upset instead of the dub being all angry all the time.

Inuhanyou

That's not what i wanted. I want NieR with better fights, not a Platinum game with NieR story

Your going to have to get over it and be happy we even have another Nier game. Sorry, but complaining especially at this point is ridiculous.

Gifs for those too lazy to click...Updating as I go..

Traversal:-

9Rrfdd.gif

Air combos:-

cqpSqV.gif

Dodges:-

fnFA2z.gif

Enemy dodges and telegraphing attacks:-

N61hIS.gif

Dodge cancels:-

MW-KDG.gif

Ill make some more later.

Dio

Banned
That's not what i wanted. I want NieR with better fights, not a Platinum game with NieR story

You're not going to get the same game again. As I've said before, Yoko Taro hates making the same game twice. He's going to change things around and you're not going to get a clone of the original, and that's okay.

K.Sabot

I don't really agree that it was butchered. They tried really hard and did a good job, but they made a fatal mistake in attempting to characterize Zero as basically 'perpetually angry asshole' when she's more like 'apathetic and would rather kill you than listen to you because it's less effort'. I get WHY they did this, but I don't agree with it at all. It completely changes your perception of her and makes it more of a contrast when she does get upset instead of the dub being all angry all the time.

What you just said basically fits my personal definition of butchery. It's a much bigger flaw to the game in my eyes than 8 frame per second dragon battles because it means a lot more to the entirety of the game than a few shitty gameplay sections.

And it wasn't a flaw inherent to the original game, added in post when localizing for the western audience.

DKHF

This game has piqued my interest and become one of my most anticipated for the year (hopefully it makes it out this year).

Dio

Banned
What you just said basically fits my personal definition of butchery. It's a much bigger flaw to the game in my eyes than 8 frame per second dragon battles because it means a lot more to the entirety of the game than a few shitty gameplay sections.

And it wasn't a flaw inherent to the original game, added in post when localizing for the western audience.

Fair enough, but my definition of a butchered localization is a much lower bar than mis-characterization of characters. I understand your point of view, though - I thought the actual dub voice acting was stellar for the most part, despite the liberties taken with localization including that one which I really didn't like.

edit: That being said, I preordered the game so I got the Japanese voice pack DLC for free when I played it, so the impact was a little less for me since I played the entire game in Japanese and only heard bits in English. I might think it butchered more if I only played Eng and THEN heard JP.

PillarEN

Seeing how Mirrors Edge got "EAd" this is now the game I put all my faith into as an example of creating a game without the cynical BS of the modern industry.

Awesome character designs. Gameplay looks fun as well.

K.Sabot

Fair enough, but my definition of a butchered localization is a much lower bar than mis-characterization of characters. I understand your point of view, though - I thought the actual dub voice acting was stellar for the most part, despite the liberties taken with localization including that one which I really didn't like.

edit: That being said, I preordered the game so I got the Japanese voice pack DLC for free when I played it, so the impact was a little less for me since I played the entire game in Japanese and only heard bits in English. I might think it butchered more if I only played Eng and THEN heard JP.

Yeah I played it fully in english, then bought the DLC and played it through again in Japanese on recommendation from someone who said the tone feels completely different and he was right.

And the tone is like... the most important thing for a Yoko Taro game to me.

mcz117chief

That is exactly how I feel about Zero and I only played with English VA.

Dio

Banned
That is exactly how I feel about Zero and I only played with English VA.

Fair. It's just that the tone, with the excessive swearing and the more aggressive, constantly angry mood of the english Zero, comes off differently to me than the mood that Japanese Zero does, to me.

They're not INCREDIBLY different, which is why I'm not saying the localization was 'butchered,' but I don't like what the English VA did in her interpretation of the character. It's a little more nuanced than 'english angry, japanese unemotive' since the characterizations overlap and aren't always at odds.

Moonkid

Gonna skip the footage and probably future trailers too, don't feel like I'll get much out of watching them. Not sure why people are shutting down the guy who wanted a more Nier like game either, it's a valid opinion to have.

Go_Ly_Dow

Taking down little grunt robots in the original NieR took about the same amount of effort as seen in this.

I will definitely be playing this on the hardest difficulty setting.

Dio

Banned
Gonna skip the footage and probably future trailers too, don't feel like I'll get much out of it. Not sure why people are shutting down the guy who wanted a more Nier like game either, it's a valid opinion to have.

No one's shutting him down for wanting a more Nier like game. At least, I'm not.

I could probably expand on what I meant.

1. The team working on this is quite respectful of the original and are huge fans of it - the leader of this project was the one who went to Taro to ask him about this.

2. Yoko Taro hates making the same game twice, this will not be the same game as Nier.

3. Literally all they've shown is a little bit of combat, and some pickups that enemies drop (those little gears). Nier had action combat as well, this is just that but Platinum-ized so it isn't as clunky. We don't know shit about the story or the world outside the snippets they've shown.

4. Basically, we don't know yet. I summed that up as 'don't expect the exact same game again, that's not his style.' At least, that's what I was trying to get across.

Ubernube

Gonna skip the footage and probably future trailers too, don't feel like I'll get much out of watching them. Not sure why people are shutting down the guy who wanted a more Nier like game either, it's a valid opinion to have.

Thing is, it's difficult to really judge the game when all we've seen is combat, and combat was Nier's weakest link, which is likely why they're showing it off so much now. We already know the game is structured in a similar fashion to the original Nier, given what the devs have said.

mcz117chief

Fair. It's just that the tone, with the excessive swearing and the more aggressive, constantly angry mood of the english Zero, comes off differently to me than the mood that Japanese Zero does, to me.

They're not INCREDIBLY different, which is why I'm not saying the localization was 'butchered,' but I don't like what the English VA did in her interpretation of the character. It's a little more nuanced than 'english angry, japanese unemotive' since the characterizations overlap and aren't always at odds.

I didn't find her to be angry all the time, mostly she is just like "yeah...whatever." I would have to play the Japanese VA (but I don't know Japanese so yeah) to probably notice the little details but I think that Tara Platt did an incredible job with Zero. Definitely my favourite performance of hers.

Philippo

Hips and tights heaven right there.
2B's walking animation is hawt.

Combato looks exacty as i hoped, now i'm curious about everything else (RPG elements, world exploration, towns etc.)

Inuhanyou

why does everyone have white hair and a similar age?

Nier's entire asthetic is based on pale colors. Yonah, Nier, Kaine...literally everyone in the main cast was an albino with light hair...papola and devola were the only ones who had different hair colors.

As for the plot related reason...i guess that's just how they make them

Soriku

Hips and tights heaven right there.
2B's walking animation is hawt.

Combato looks exacty as i hoped, now i'm curious about everything else (RPG elements, world exploration, towns etc.)

Hopefully some non-shit and less time consuming/grindy sidequests this time.

No problem, haha. I wonder how people would have reacted years ago if they were told NieR 2 would be a potential action game of the next generation candidate. Crazy times.

Tbf, I didnt play much of the original NieR but it did have potential even then. If I remember correctly, you had a i-Frame dodge and you could cancel into that magic god fist attack.

But yeah, Im just glad that there is even another game to contend for that title tbh. Both this and NioH are the reasons I own a PS4 now.

Top Bottom