• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New NieR Automata Info. Characters, Footage, etc.

Kule

AI partner assassination

AlertCommonArmedcrab.gif

Meh.

What made Nier stand out were its mature main character, the intimate story line and pacifying soundtrack.

I'm not feeling the choice for a scantily-clad android as protagonist in a sci-fi setting at all. But hey, at least it got some smooth combat going for it.

How do you know these things don't still exist?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Meh.

What made Nier stand out were its mature main character, the intimate story line and pacifying soundtrack.

I'm not feeling the choice for a scantily-clad android as protagonist in a sci-fi setting at all. But hey, at least it got some smooth combat going for it.

But you literally don't know anything about the game to determine whether any of that is or is not in it. Sounds hyperbolic at the most generous

Ubernube

Well, I guess it should be mentioned that SE isn't modifying this game for western audiences like they did with the original Nier (i.e. young brother Nier was the original version with Papa Nier being our version), so I guess some people might be in for a bit of a shock that this game will likely be a bit more Japanese flavored in its character design for the protags, when before we got a western flavored variant or well, their take on one.

Eolz

Platinum is not writing the story. They are responsible for the gameplay.

Something which was really needed too.
But yeah, Platinum in charge of the story would be pretty terrible. That's not the case, hence why people are talking about a dream team.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Man this is looking fantastic, I should probably go into media blackout mode right about now. I hooked up my old PS3 just to replay the original in time for this.

This game, TLG and FFXV are my most wanted games for this year.

I can already hear the terrible English VA in my head :p

So hyped, the combat looks smooth and the character designs are instantly memorable.

Merging two fantastic games together (Nier + Metal Gear Rising) is fine by me. Bring it on. Yoshida still has got it, his artwork is just sublime. Nier is one of my favourite games of all time, so this has a lot to live up to.

Mar Nosso

Banned
Most important question about this game at this point in time: does the combat system have a fucking lock-on mechanism? It is sorely, sorely missed in the first game.

Most important question about this game at this point in time: does the combat system have a fucking lock-on mechanism? It is sorely, sorely missed in the first game.

im going to go with no, simply by how much they are moving the camera around during combat.

A shame, but everything else looks great.

matmanx1

Saito said a few months ago it'll be around the same time FFXV releases.

If this comes out on the same day as FF XV then I will get Nier first. =) The new footage is looking really, really good. I was afraid they were going to throw all of the "Nier" stuff out in the actual gameplay since Platinum is doing it but I can see from the footage that there are still industrial / robot looking environments and enemies present and that many of the projectiles look the same. In other words, it looks like a next gen Nier with some fantastic combat.

This is a very good thing.

Man, I hope they remaster the first game for the sequel. I can’t go back and play it on PS3 anymore, it freezes at boot up screen.

This looks really really solid.

Everything about this game looks superb.

Also Nier's english dub was great. Kaine ranting at Weiss is iconic and Weiss himself is perfect through the entire game. I'll agree that Drakengard 3's dub wasn't great. Can't really do anything more than just hope for the best.

I'm facepalming very hard right now.

Ahh its not that bad. The FOV is pretty wide and the combat system seems to give the player enough time to set up the camera before they attack.

Also the enemy clearly telegraph their attack cycle which is important for encounter management. I dont think this was the case in the original NieR.

A lack of lock on does limit the player in the number of unique attacks they can pull off but in fairness, long as you dont dive into every encounter without assessing your surroundings, you should be ok.

Im more concerned about off-screen attacks. Both Bayo 2 and Transformers have been a bit of regression in this area.

NeoRaider

"I would love to play this game on PC, NX, Commodore 64" etc etc is seen as port-begging which is a no-no as it derails a thread just like we are doing right now :p

Since i don't own any of the current-gen consoles, i wrote that i would love for this game to be released on PC too. (AFAIK it's PS4 exclusive so there is almost no chance of that happening).

I don't think that's port begging, and even if it was i don't see why are ppl jumping on these posts (doesn't matter if it's mine or someone else) with replies like: "Haha look at him, he is port begging!" What's the point and satisfaction in that?? I never meant for my post to be port begging.

EDarkness

Looking at this just reminds me that I have to finish NieR. Not sure if the stories tie together, but probably can't hurt to finish the game just in case. This game looks awesome, though. Can't wait to play it.

Top Bottom