• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No Man's Sky Trailer: Trade

Sean said they left a lot of the recipe stuff and language translation stuff to fansites to catalogue on their own.

So expect a ton of NMS web info depositories for finding and sharing stuff. A lot of stuff will be trial and error until everyone "unlocks" all the game's various systems and languages.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
guysguysguysguysguysguysguysguysguysguysguysguysguysguysguys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

listen!

What if.......

NMS take place in the Destiny universe?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

ZOMIGAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E92 M3

PAayky5.jpg

So many icons now, starting to look like a Ubisoft game!

Here, the yellow icon is iron oxide (from the sentinel image), so looks like you can upgrade the scanner to show specific resources. The blue icon I assume is another resource, but I don't know about the question mark above it?

The scanner has to be upgraded to provide details. So, at start there wouldn't many icons if any.

_woLf

Wow, that is waaaay too close to be a coincidence. I imagine that must have raised some flags internally and they didn't have time to change it.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Really great trailer.

It's going to be so god damned satisfying when you discover a new blueprint, and get all of the resources to upgrade your equipment. That's one of the other aspects of the game that has me excited. I wonder if you can upgrade your jetpack for higher/longer boosts?

These next three weeks can't come soon enough. If people start streaming this game early, that's going to scratch an itch. Me and my wife have been watching Dark Souls 3 lets plays to kill time. XD

Aenima

This game is digital only right?

On PC yes. Thers a phisical collectors edition for PC too but dont has a game disc.
For PS4 thers both phisical and digital.

This new trailler really got my hype up. Whatching it frame by frame, the diferent ships with diferent interior cockpits, all looks so great. Cant wait.

I guess it's a good sign that the most disappointing thing I've seen in NMS is that they're calling the ingame currency "Units." It's a pretty minor quibble, so that speaks to the quality of everything else. But, seriously, "Units"? Anything would be better than that. "Spacebucks." "Thingamajiggers." "Sean Murray's Sock Liners." Units isn't just generic, it's wildly overused. You're creating a universe and you can't be bothered to come up with a new word for your currency? Come on man.

Collecting, buying and selling, trading, crafting, ship upgrades, and Souls-style lore. Excellent trailer.

Games like Elite: Dangerous have similar systems. ED has entire fan-made sites dedicated to turning a profit flipping goods while traveling between systems.

I can picture this happening with NMS, too.

Cmagus

I need this game so bad right now. Have they said whether there would be a photo mode in this game because if there isn't there needs to be one because this game looks stunning.

So

-you walk around and shoot rocks and hold a button to gather plants
-you sell those for upgrades
-those upgrades allow you to shoot more rocks and pick up more plants

Incentivizing the gathering is a good idea but it looks so boring and already I feel like it'll just seem like i'm doing the same shit over and over.

So

Incentivizing the gathering is a good idea but it looks so boring and already I feel like it'll just seem like i'm doing the same shit over and over.

That's all you saw, huh?

Leatherface

I am all over this game. but what should I do guys? PS4 or PC? Besides IQ/Framerate are there any other benefits to the PC version?

E92 M3

Really great trailer.

It's going to be so god damned satisfying when you discover a new blueprint, and get all of the resources to upgrade your equipment. That's one of the other aspects of the game that has me excited. I wonder if you can upgrade your jetpack for higher/longer boosts?

These next three weeks can't come soon enough. If people start streaming this game early, that's going to scratch an itch. Me and my wife have been watching Dark Souls 3 lets plays to kill time. XD

Jetpack can definitely be upgraded.

So

Reductive reasoning can be applied to anything:

"So, you just shoot enemy humans in different levels?"

"So, you just hold the right trigger and drive around the track?"

"So, you just walk around and slash things with your sword?

It's a very weak argument.

Even though the UI is beautiful and slick, it just REALLY bothers me that its a carbon copy of destiny, down to the font layouts, circle icons, and progress bars.

Kinda scary if you ask me!

While we're talking about them copying stuff, whatever happened to the claim they had used the patented superformula to create their universe without permission?

So

Well, technically, you're doing the same shit over and over in every game. It is about what you're doing that should get the focus. It is fine if you don't like what you have to do in this game but I just wanted to counter repetition being bad.

Yep.

Aenima

So

You can do "whatever you want", its up to ur imagination to go out of the box. If u dont want to gather materials that way, you can for example assault a cargo ship and steal they resorces.

Games like Elite: Dangerous have similar systems. ED has entire fan-made sites dedicated to turning a profit flipping goods while traveling between systems.
Pretty sure that's super common in most space games with trading. :p
It's been a staple of the genre since the 70s. It'd have been weirder if it didn't work like that.
I don't usually play games like this so I'm impressed by it as my first exposure to it.

daveo42

Banned
So

Technially you can also gain materials by buying them from alien vendors and you can use those materials to upgrade parts of your suit and weaponry. The mining route is only one way of managing the economy of the game. If you like mining and trading resources for credits, then fine, but you can also gain them through exploration or piracy. Each have different approches, different benefits and you don't need to do any of them exclusively. There's a gameplay cycle here for sure, but you can dictate how you manage the cycle and when to change things up.

As an assumption, I think most will start with basic mining just to get resources and exploration for credits, but can and will branch out once you're able to leave your first system.

ShogunX

I am all over this game. but what should I do guys? PS4 or PC? Besides IQ/Framerate are there any other benefits to the PC version?

Assuming the PC version is good it's an absolute no brainer. If we can tweak enough setting to improve textures, draw distance, anisotropic filtering, shadows ect ect it's only going to enhance the experience.

I'm still trying to decide this myself.

However, if I see or hear of screen tearing on the PS4 version, I will smash my PS4 with a hammer and download the Steam version.

(...my hammer is made of Styrofoam)

This is not reductive:

Obtaining rocks involves shooting a motionless, nonreactive target slowly and repeatedly. This is not a fun mechanic. Obtaining plants involves slowly walking around and hitting gathering nodes. This has never been a fun method of progression and continues to not be one.

The reason why "shooting enemies in different levels" or "walking around and hitting things with your sword" isn't a problem is usually because those activities have variances that make them exciting from level to level, whether that be in the design, the enemies encountered, guns used, etc. In No Man's Sky gathering rocks will always be gathering rocks. That element of the game is unchanging. You are going to slowly walk around planets, hitting gathering nodes. Great.

OmegaDL50

Wow, that is waaaay too close to be a coincidence. I imagine that must have raised some flags internally and they didn't have time to change it.

Actually not really. We've known (at least folks that have been following this game), that NMS has used a Destiny-like user interface for at least two years now.

This is not reductive:

Obtaining rocks involves shooting a motionless, nonreactive target slowly and repeatedly. This is not a fun mechanic. Obtaining plants involves slowly walking around and hitting gathering nodes. This has never been a fun method of progression and continues to not be one.

The reason why "shooting enemies in different levels" or "walking around and hitting things with your sword" isn't a problem is usually because those activities have variances that make them exciting from level to level, whether that be in the design, the enemies encountered, guns used, etc. In No Man's Sky gathering rocks will always be gathering rocks. That element of the game is unchanging.

Collecting rocks and plants is a pretty common mechanic in survival games like this. It sounds like your issue is with the genre itself.

E92 M3

This is not reductive:

The reason why "shooting enemies in different levels" or "walking around and hitting things with your sword" isn't a problem is usually because those activities have variances that make them exciting from level to level, whether that be in the design, the enemies encountered, guns used, etc. In No Man's Sky gathering rocks will always be gathering rocks. That element of the game is unchanging. You are going to slowly walk around planets, hitting gathering nodes. Great.

It is reductive because you are compressing what NMS is as a whole. Secondly, "fun" is completely subjective.

I think sports games are about the worst thing there is, but some people love them.

Tastes vary.

This is not reductive:

The reason why "shooting enemies in different levels" or "walking around and hitting things with your sword" isn't a problem is usually because those activities have variances that make them exciting from level to level, whether that be in the design, the enemies encountered, guns used, etc. In No Man's Sky gathering rocks will always be gathering rocks. That element of the game is unchanging.
In isolation perhaps. In the context of gameplay, it's a driver of exploration, risking dangerous terrain and creatures for resources.

Just like descending into cavern in Minecraft for certain resources requires you to plan your descent, mark you path back so you don't get lost, bring weapons to defend yourself, etc.

A mechanic doesn't exist in isolation, but within the structure of a game as a whole.

MaDKaT

This is not reductive:

Could gather resources by being a pirate and shoot/loot all the enemies and ships you want.

Collecting rocks and plants is a pretty common mechanic in survival games like this. It sounds like your issue is with the genre itself.

It's a common mechanic, but it's usually a supplementary and inoffensive one. Here, it makes up the majority of the gameplay.

c0Zm1c

This is not reductive:

That's subjective. You do this sort of thing in other games (like Minecraft), a lot. Resource gathering is fun to a lot of players.

Leatherface

Assuming the PC version is good it's an absolute no brainer. If we can tweak enough setting to improve textures, draw distance, anisotropic filtering, shadows ect ect it's only going to enhance the experience.

I'm still trying to decide this myself.

However, if I see or hear of screen tearing on the PS4 version, I will smash my PS4 with a hammer and download the Steam version.

(...my hammer is made of Styrofoam)

Just read the dev is strongly considering VR support....and since I have a Vive it looks like my decision has been made! omg I can't wait! :)

Although if it is really good I may just get it on both. Would be nice to chill on the couch and play/relax with this one.. There's something to be said about that. hmm.

Please be good! :eek:

Hey wait do you guys think trading is locked behind knowledge? Like what I mean is how could you possibly trade if you don't know what these guys are saying so therefore you have to find the artifacts the translate their language first before trading. Did Sean already mention that

Elandyll

Banned
This is not reductive:

? You're acting like gathering resources is all you do in the game...
It's a side activity that isn't even required (you can trade or pirate).

Gathering resources is an activity present across a myriad of other titles, often in a much more boring way (staying in place with a pick axe comes to mind).

Cmagus

This is not reductive:

You aren't just walking around picking things up there are also other life forms on the planets which can attack you, and gathering/mining too much can also trigger sentinels as well. There is a story here like any other game and the point to gathering and upgrading is to obviously get better stuff but it also allows you to upgrade your suit to explore certain planets that your regular suit can't.

This is no different then what you said above, part of the excitement here is getting better gear to explore rare planets, and with the huge amount of lifeforms in the game the way the enemies are encountered will vary and the way you tackle exploration will also vary based on those factors as well which makes going to each planet fresh and new and the surprise of not knowing what inhabits the planet your going to is far more exciting then hallways full of enemies to shoot.

People expecting this to be a hardcore shooter are sadly gonna be disappointed. There are elements of fps gunplay but the purpose of the game is mostly built around exploring and for many discovering and exploring new planets is gonna be what hooks them.

legacyzero

Banned
This is not reductive:

Then the game isn't for you?

Top Bottom