• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New No Man's Sky Trailer: Trade

Cth

Hey wait do you guys think trading is locked behind knowledge? Like what I mean is how could you possibly trade if you don't know what these guys are saying so therefore you have to find the artifacts the translate their language first before trading. Did Sean already mention that

http://codepen.io/LukeFlego/full/oLwwjV/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...rts-its-star-path-with-major-gameplay-reveal/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4a07nn/new_info_from_pc_gamer_uk/

There are alien languages that the NPCs on a planet speak

You do not have to know a language before you communicate with an NPC. You can try a few different options, however you should be careful as certain actions may cause the NPC to dislike you

You can start to learn a language by finding a "Rosetta Stone"-like monolith. Once you've interacted with it some of the words of that language will start to make sense to you. This will give you a better idea of what to say to an NPC

You can sometimes find a helpful NPC that will help you learn the language

If you understand a language well enough, you'll have a good idea of what options to choose when interacting with, say, a trader

Unknown words in a language will appear as gibberish

If you don't know a language you can try using gestures

Making yourself seem more important than you really are may result in the alien getting annoyed with you. In certain cases they might shock you with a cattle prod-like stick

Basically, you can trade blindly, but the more you know and can communicate, the likely better the trades you get, and influence among their species/groups.

Aenima

It's a common mechanic, but it's usually a supplementary and inoffensive one. Here, it makes up the majority of the gameplay.

Wrong. How about assulting a cargo ship, steal they resorces, go to atrader sell the stuff u stole buy resorces u need for upgrade. In the planets u can do much more than gathering resorces, exploring is the main reason to go to a planet, reseaching new animal forms, finding new building structures that main contain treasures inside, etc.

The gathering can be minimal if u think out of the box. The game offers alot of posibillities, yet it looks like you only looking at one of them.

Does it? It's one of four pillars. Did you forget about fighting, exploring, and surviving the elements and wildfire

It's one of four, yeah, but with combat looking slightly clunky and overly simplistic and this looking no better, it's starting to seem like the explore pillar is the only one of substance. Wandering these procedurally generated planets will likely be a lot of fun, but all of the things that you "do" seem minimalist to the point of bordeom.

http://codepen.io/LukeFlego/full/oLwwjV/
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/...rts-its-star-path-with-major-gameplay-reveal/
https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/4a07nn/new_info_from_pc_gamer_uk/

Basically, you can trade blindly, but the more you know and can communicate, the likely better the trades you get, and influence among their species/groups.
Hmmm this is pretty interesting

To be honest I knew the truth lol was hoping it would change the subject going on now lol

It's one of four, yeah, but with combat looking slightly clunky and overly simplistic and this looking no better, it's starting to seem like the explore pillar is the only one of substance. Wandering these procedurally generated planets will likely be a lot of fun, but all of the things that you "do" seem minimalist to the point of bordeom.
I'm quite excited by the combat and such. Looks enjoyable

It's a subjective thing. Not a concrete fact that the mechanics seem boring and simplistic

Cth

Obtaining rocks involves shooting a motionless, nonreactive target slowly and repeatedly. This is not a fun mechanic. Obtaining plants involves slowly walking around and hitting gathering nodes. This has never been a fun method of progression and continues to not be one.

Technically, as this trailer shows, you can change that too.

Lasers can be upgraded to wide and fast, so technically it's not always slow, etc.

You can blow them up as well.

But given your stance on aliens being red dogs and yellow dogs, this will likely not matter either.

Anyways, for some people that method of progression is fine as evidenced by Minecraft.

greatgeek

Banned
I can't tell which areas are meant to be baron, or whether it's the god awful load distance.
I don't believe HG has shown off any barren planets. Perhaps they feel they aren't interesting enough for a trailer or demo? Or perhaps they've abandoned the 90/10 rule because the vast majority of planets being barren would make for uninteresting exploration gameplay?

now this got me way more hype dthan the other trailers.

good job HG!

have they shown that character before? i'm guessing it's a generic trading robot/NPC

cool stuff though. lots of crafting it seems.

real question is do i prime preorder this at amazon and use my 10$ credit to get it at 40 and if i don't like it be able to sell it off without much of a loss?

Blanquito

Wonder if this trailer was made quite a long time ago, since they used the "Sony Computer Entertainment" brand instead of SIE

Hoo weee that looks great! That canister thing labelled "damaged machinery" then says "get blueprint" then "new technology discovered" looks like its indoors. Hopefully the interior of a downed derelict alien ship.

Ermahgerd Aug 9th cant get here soon enough. I need this game in my life.

DrBo42

Love this Ui sheesh beautiful

Edit:100 space bucks says the entire thread devolves into a conversation about the destiny inspired Ui

Honestly, "destiny inspired" is putting it extremely nicely. This shit was harvested like an organ in a motel room. Not complaining though, it's a great UI.

Muzicfreq

Banned
I actually want this on pc for recording with shadowplay at 1080p60 but I'm getting the limited edition for like $35 on Amazon -_-

OmegaDL50

Wonder if this trailer was made quite a long time ago, since they used the "Sony Computer Entertainment" brand instead of SIE

Yeah it's safe to say the trailers were originally planned to be used just before the initial June 21st release prior to the delay.

As SCE didn't become SIE until April of this year, also the other leaked trailer had SCE in the beginning as well.

Evidence would suggest these trailers were made several months ago.

Hoo weee that looks great! That canister thing labelled "damaged machinery" then says "get blueprint" then "new technology discovered" looks like its indoors. Hopefully the interior of a downed derelict alien ship.

Looks like a cave to me

RQSAKmz.png

CHC

Just like NPCs not being in the game, I'm hoping that's something they just didn't want to reveal. Considering this game has 100% ocean planets and deep deep seas, it makes sense to be able to modify your ship to be able to explore underwater without having to worry about oxygen or having to slowly swim through the dark

I would love if that were the case. If indeed ships can't go underwater I do wonder about all water planets and how they might be approached (pontoons?).... Plus the idea of piloting your ship from the black depths of an alien ocean, up through the atmosphere and into space is just the ultimate seamless space fantasy. Couldn't think of something cooler than that.

It's a small detail but I love that it shows you the galaxy average price on trading items.

It would kill me if that wasn't a tracked number that was easily accessible.

OmegaDL50

Honestly, "destiny inspired" is putting it extremely nicely. This shit was harvested like an organ in a motel room. Not complaining though, it's a great UI.

You might as well say they stole assets from Bungie if you are going to make that kind of statement.

Trailer looked sharp!
Love the colour variety in all the planets.

The trailer was cut a bit too quick for me so I'll need a good video analysis to break it all down nice and slow.

CHC

I actually hate Destiny's analog-faux-cursor so I hope that you can use this UI via the D-pad as an alternative.

Looks beautiful though, very slick.

Cth

Check out the radioactive symbol in the lower left..

Riskier, dangerous item retrieval results in higher trade in values, etc.

Anyways, a nice little touch that's easily overlooked.

Game has taken quite a noticeable jump in graphics quality and DOF, curious if this is running on PC or since it's PS trailer, on the PS4.

OmegaDL50

Game has taken quite a noticeable jump in graphics quality and DOF, curious if this is running on PC or since it's PS trailer, on the PS4.

Trailer shows PS4 button prompts such as L1 and R1 and even the Touchpad.

Not that NMS looks graphically demanding to begin with.

Check out the radioactive symbol in the lower left..

Riskier, dangerous item retrieval results in higher trade in values, etc.

Anyways, a nice little touch that's easily overlooked.
Like an intergalactic Stalker. Going into the most dangerous places for the best items and resources to sell

Someone make the Patrick Star meme of putting the Destiny combat and weaponry and putting them over there with the NMS travel and trading.

OmegaDL50

Well things might get a bit interesting.

Sorry for using some fun imagery. My bad, didn't think I had to place a disclaimer in my post.

I never said you had to, but the implication that HG are thieves is a bit of unfair accusation, no?

It's one thing to make it look extremely similar to Destiny's UI, it's something entirely else for one to say that they outright stole it.

finalflame

There's always a middle ground in impressions of entertainment, be it books, movies, shows, games, etc

Sure there is.

In my view, if the game is middling at best, then it will just go into the trash bin with other unexciting space sandbox titles such as Elite and Space Engineers. "Okay" space sandbox games have not really been that great thus far.

On the other hand, it can excel in creating a much more rich and exciting universe than those games, with more to do and see, and that will make it a really, really good game.

In my view, if the game is middling at best, then it will just go into the trash bin with other unexciting space sandbox titles such as Elite and Space Engineers. "Okay" space sandbox games have not really been that great thus far.

On the other hand, it can excel in creating a much more rich and exciting universe than those games, with more to do and see, and that will make it a really, really good game.
Do you this for every game or is it just for nms just curious

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is by leaps and bounds the best trailer put out for the game period. It's like night and day.

Destiny UI doing great work here.

See, case in point. Elite Dangerous is awesome. My favorite space sim. Nothing else I've played captures that awe and scale of space, the immersiveness of being in that world doing your jobs, the thrill of docking, etc.

Top Bottom