• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

eot

Banned
Juliet's 8½ Spirits;99125963 said:
The more previews I read, the more worried I become
All I can look forward to now is Demon's Souls 2 with Miyazaki

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK IS THERE VOICE CHATTTTTTTTTT FUCK U BAMCO

Isn't it only for summoning?

zashga

Voice chat doesn't bother me if you need to opt in by wearing a ring. Same with easier friend summoning.

I am curious if there are just four general purpose ring slots or if a couple slots are reserved for "options" rings like the above. If rings have comparable power to DS1, four rings could have a pretty huge impact on how your character plays.

Clevinger

Juliet's 8½ Spirits;99126569 said:
The purpose of the co-op in demon's and dark souls was to strengthen the single player experience.

That makes no sense. Co-op completely breaks the single player experience.

I can and I will, but the fact that they thought it was a good idea is worrisome, and not the direction I want to see the series be taken in. The purpose of the co-op in demon's and dark souls was to strengthen the single player experience. This time around they seem to be putting a much stranger emphasis in the co op experience, something I'm not entirely comfortable with. I'll leave my full judgments after i play the game, but so far, the demo let me with a bad taste in my mouth, and these previews are only worsening that taste.

If anyone knows the true essence of the souls series it would be Miyazaki and Japan studio, so all I can do is have faith.

Then why put a time limit on white phantoms?

Jobbs

Banned
I've been blacking this game out, and boy, is it getting hard. I let myself watch a bit of giant bomb yesterday, and they showed some B roll and there was this apparent boss who seemed to have some dogs with him.. and his design and animations were so fuckin badass... took all my strength to close the stream down. Pretty sure I shot one in my pants from seeing that.

I wouldn't say it's a strawman argument when the things the author of that article is specifically calling out are optional. She can still play Dark Souls 2 the way she played Dark Souls 1 (aside from the Hollow Invasion thing), she's just saying she doesn't want to because the options are there.

It's the equivalent of getting mad at Infinite Continues in Ikaruga or DMC3 offering an easy mode after enough deaths.

Well, as I said, I think the concern is the future repercussions of such design decisions, not the design as it stands now. I don't think anyone particularly cares that people can now use co-op and voice chat in a limited form when they want to...their concern is that if such features prove to be popular that DS may shift gears in the future to be a "co-op game", which at it's heart it really isn't. And yeah, there's a discussion to be had about From's ability to faithfully preserve the elements that put the game on the map - I think they can, but not everyone is so trusting it seems.

Soriku

I can and I will, but the fact that they thought it was a good idea is worrisome, and not the direction I want to see the series be taken in. The purpose of the co-op in demon's and dark souls was to strengthen the single player experience. This time around they seem to be putting a much stranger emphasis in the co op experience, something I'm not entirely comfortable with. I'll leave my full judgments after i play the game, but so far, the demo let me with a bad taste in my mouth, and these previews are only worsening that taste.

If anyone knows the true essence of the souls series it would be Miyazaki and Japan studio, so all I can do is have faith.

Going by what Clevinger says you have to wear a ring to even use co-op. So just ignore it.

They also have a ring that makes it easier to do co-op with your friends, but it breaks after a couple uses.

They made co-op a little more appealing in ways, but it's still practically the same thing. There is hardly any more of an emphasis on it than before.

I don't really understand what it is about the beta that some people didn't like, but it felt exactly like a Souls game should to me. I'm not really seeing how Dark Souls 2 isn't keeping the "true essence" of the series.

AHA-Lambda

Gotta say, after watching the Videogamer.com preview vid, I am now worried over the idea of fast travel from the start =/

Well, as I said, I think the concern is the future repercussions of such design decisions, not the design as it stands now. I don't think anyone particularly cares that people can now use co-op and voice chat in a limited form when they want to...their concern is that if such features prove to be popular that DS may shift gears in the future to be a "co-op game", which at it's heart it really isn't. And yeah, there's a discussion to be had about From's ability to faithfully preserve the elements that put the game on the map - I think they can, but not everyone is so trusting it seems.

I think this new voice implementation is fine, but I can see how people would be worried that it would become more accepted and further implemented in future games. I think as long as they are optional it should be fine.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What she is rather saying is that she'd potentially not like some of the changes that the increased popularity of these games entailed. And that's a perfectly reasonable thing to say.

I'm pretty sure the article's whole point is to drum up views by making a mountain out of a molehill, typical faux-journalism at work. See quote below for a good summary:

"Optional things make me really mad."

Sounds like 7 good changes to me!
Exactly. People are just being silly if they are worried the game is "selling out" or losing any of its difficulty. I doubt they will say the same thing the game is actually released and they die for the first
time(s)!

Randam

i like this screenshot:

image_37922_full.jpg

voice chat, fast travel and coop with friends is bs imo.

Bedlam

I'm pretty sure the article's whole point is to drum up views by making a mountain out of a molehill, typical faux-journalism at work. See quote below for a good summary:
Why can't you accept the fact that there are people out there who honestly don't like these changes?

Exactly. People are just being silly if they are worried the game is "selling out" or losing any of its difficulty. I doubt they will say the same thing the game is actually released and they die for the first
time(s)!
Of course I'm not judging the game yet. I really can't wait to play it. These are just concerns we're raising here.

Alric

You people have praised the sun too much. Now we are blessed with another divine opportunity to hate the slipups we make playing a brutal game. All is well.

Steez

Why?

Both players need to equip a ring and be part of a specific covenant for voice chat. Don't want it? Don't use it.

Fast travel is nothing new to the series and coop with friends has no downside. Hell, being able to reliably play with friends is one of the biggest advantages of Dark Souls PC.

Orayn

i like this screenshot:

image_37922_full.jpg

Voice chat and co-op with friends are opt-in and limited by an item that breaks, fast travel is kinda necessary since it sounds like you can only level up with an NPC in the hub town. (Again, a change that makes it more like Demon's Souls.)

Clevinger

BTW, the thought of some mouthbreathing invader screaming racial and homophobic epithets at me hoping I can hear him and I don't have the ring on is pretty funny

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Why can't you accept the fact that there are people out there who honestly don't like these changes?
You are free to do as you wish. Complaints and petty grievances are the spice of any gaming discussion.

bHLQ3v7.gif

You people have praised the sun too much. Now we are blessed with another divine opportunity to hate the slipups we make playing a brutal game. All is well.
Indeed!

c1TG3Fq.gif

Ferr986

People really dont want to play with their friends? I love Dark Souls so much but I wish it was easier to play with friends, and talk to them too.
If Im playing with randoms I just can mute them. Theres a lot of randoms that doesnt even use mics anyways...

EDIT:
bHLQ3v7.gif

holy shit lol!

Why?

Both players need to equip a ring and be part of a specific covenant for voice chat. Don't want it? Don't use it.

Fast travel is nothing new to the series and coop with friends has no downside. Hell, being able to reliably play with friends is one of the biggest advantages of Dark Souls PC.

Regarding fast travel...ostensibly you should be able to use or or not depending on your preferences and that's the end of your involvement. In the worst case scenario however, fast travel has been implemented because the world is poorly arranged and lacks both cohesive structure and clever shortcuts. In this scenario there would be no "a-ha!" moments like opening the gates of New Londo and finding a shortcut to Valley of the Drakes. This is all hypothetical however. For all we know the world could be perfect. But if someone complained about having fast travel open from the beginning of the game I wouldn't dismiss their concerns. So long as From doesn't use teleporting as a replacement for clever world design we'll be fine.

Oh damn, is co-op with friends confirmed? How does it work??

I know most hardcores will hate it but its very welcomed for me and my friends who have little to no time to play, arranging get togethers was a pain the ass in Dark Souls.

Orayn

Oh damn, is co-op with friends confirmed? How does it work??

I know most hardcores will hate it but its very welcomed for me and my friends who have little to no time to play, arranging get togethers was a pain the ass in Dark Souls.

There's a ring that you can inscribe with the name of one of ten gods, which makes it easier to co-op or invade people who inscribed their ring with the same. Apparently the ring eventually breaks.

There's a ring that you can inscribe with the name of one of ten gods, which makes it easier to co-op or invade people who inscribed their ring with the same. Apparently the ring eventually breaks.

Interesting, hopefully that ring also somehow forces everyone connected to actually do something instead of just letting the most powerful player do everything.

xPhinehas

Interesting, hopefully that ring also somehow forces everyone connected to actually do something instead of just letting the most powerful player do everything.

If a summoned player does too much they get booted. I'm not sure how it works mechanically but the game takes stock of how much a summoned player does, and it affects how long they're allowed in the world.

Well, I think that is plainly chicken littling, then.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Are there crystal lizards in this game? They are the worst thing of DaS/DeS.
Considering they eventually patched in the ability to purchase their drops with enough souls, I'd imagine the item refinement process has been heavily revamped for Dark Souls 2.

Sun

Neo Member
I will agree the ability to warp from the get-go concerns me more than it intrigues [...]

Samewise. At the same time it might tell us about the way the world is made - more sprawled out rather than snake-eating-its-own-tail; or it might tell us about a need to return to a certain point for whatever - hello Maiden in Black-like something or other, that kind of thing.

If the reports naming it a blend of Demon's & Dark are true, I guess it might mean a similarity that goes beyond how it feels into the realm of the game's structure & whatnot.

If the starting area is
a town
it might mean we'll be spending more time in it then we did in Firelink Shrine. If that's the case, maybe the teleport will work only between the bonfire you're coming from & this one, not with other bonfires - at least for a while.

Wishful thinking, but who knows.

Steez

Regarding fast travel...ostensibly you should be able to use or or not depending on your preferences and that's the end of your involvement. In the worst case scenario however, fast travel has been implemented because the world is poorly arranged and lacks both cohesive structure and clever shortcuts. In this scenario there would be no "a-ha!" moments like opening the gates of New Londo and finding a shortcut to Valley of the Drakes. This is all hypothetical however. For all we know the world could be perfect. But if someone complained about having fast travel open from the beginning of the game I wouldn't dismiss their concerns. So long as From doesn't use teleporting as a replacement for clever world design we'll be fine.

I do agree with that particular concern, but "fast travel is BS!" doesn't sound like somebody thought that much ahead. Oh well, I guess I'm the dingleberry here for assuming that in the first place.

I do agree with that particular concern, but "fast travel is BS!" doesn't sound like somebody thought that much ahead. Oh well, I guess I'm the dingleberry here for assuming that in the first place.

You could be right for all I know - I'm mostly just thinking aloud.

I try and think about it this way. The first half of DS (pre-Lord Vessel) is very well-paced with a lot of shortcuts and a world that makes sense from one area to the next. The second half, that perhaps not coincidentally enables fast travel, sees you traveling to a variety of disjointed areas that (while good on their own merit) have little to do with one another and no real shortcuts between them. I know that I preferred the structure of the first half of the game, and hope that From enabling fast travel from the get-go doesn't make them sloppy.

Hypron

I find all the negativity around this game quite weird. People have all the right to be worried about a game but ever since this game was announced we've had people shit on it in every single thread talking about it. We'll see how the game turns out when it releases.

time(s)!

The fact that people think these games are about their difficulty is just as frustrating to me as the new accessibility features. I don't play the souls games to die. In fact I would be shocked if anyone who played the first two games died anywhere close to 100 times on their first playthrough unless from really screwed with some cheap design. It makes it very hard to tell what the game will be like when the promotional material had the player intentionally dying over and over. I thought I'd test just what it is like playing the souls game blind after having played the first two extensively, and I beat the dlc with maybe 5 deaths. The thing that worries me the most is the message people are sending to from. I don't want ridiculous difficulty, I want a beautiful world with it's own story, with well designed challenges.

Rant over. I will ignore the new coop features most likely but I do hope they don't expect me to play coop to win.

You could be right for all I know - I'm mostly just thinking aloud.

I try and think about it this way. The first half of DS (pre-Lord Vessel) is very well-paced with a lot of shortcuts and a world that makes sense from one area to the next. The second half, that perhaps not coincidentally enables fast travel, sees you traveling to a variety of disjointed areas that (while good on their own merit) have little to do with one another and no real shortcuts between them. I know that I preferred the structure of the first half of the game, and hope that From enabling fast travel from the get-go doesn't make them sloppy.

I agree that the back half of Dark Souls is not very good, but I think it's because it feels rushed more than simply "They can warp, fuck 'em."

Randam

Why?

Voice chat and co-op with friends are opt-in and limited by an item that breaks, fast travel is kinda necessary since it sounds like you can only level up with an NPC in the hub town. (Again, a change that makes it more like Demon's Souls.)

i can live with the ring.
it wasnt that hard to play with friends in dark souls anyway.
but i dont like it from a lore point of view.

and voice chat has no place in the souls games.
idk, conflicts with the lore too imo.

Rant over. I will ignore the new coop features most likely but I do hope they don't expect me to play coop to win.

you can be invadet while being hollow and i think the developers expect us to summon help all the time to fight the invaders, so..

OrigiNull

i can live with the ring.
it wasnt that hard to play with friends in dark souls anyway.
but i dont like it from a lore point of view.

and voice chat has no place in the souls games.
idk, conflicts with the lore too imo.

What? Don't you remember that part in the lore where they say all other hollows sound like 8 year old boys who like to call you homophobic slurs and are also a little too familiar with your mother?

Visceir

Ganking up on one person with buddies was a thing in Dark Souls, my concern is that easier co-op and voice chat will make ganking even easier. It would suck if you invade someone's world and face 3 enemies who are well coordinated.

I did read that co-op will have a timer though and if they make it troublesome enough to not be able to co-op through the game all the way then I guess I'm fine with it.

I'm ok with the reduced HP with each death thing. It plays well into the lore with the whole "as undead die they become more and more hollow", the despair will actually reflect on the human player. Plus it will motivate people to play more in human form.

I'd like to think the warp is meant more for you to use your souls on more things like equipment and upgrades rather than just leveling since you can't be bothered to run all the way back to the blacksmith/NPCs.

erawsd

I don't see the big deal.

The co-op/voice chat stuff is all entirely optional. If you don't like then you don't have to use it. I'm sure thats been said but its deserves repeating since it really is the truth of the matter.

Would be cool if the increasing stages of "hollow-ness" were represented visually. Like if you die once you still look mostly human but a bit haggard. Die the max amount of times and you look totally decrepit ala Dark Souls 1.

Top Bottom