• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

ezekial45

Banned
Embargo just ended and we're seeing some new previews and impressions of the first hour of the game.

DTOID
Surprisingly, I felt there were many callbacks to the original Souls title, Demon's Souls. A steeper learning curve, a trial by fire scenario -- after letting my experience with the game digest, Darks Souls II seems to be a nice blend of the best qualities from both its predecessors. As there's a greater focus on putting pressure on the player, without making them feel too overwhelmed and frustrated. For the people that welcome this experience, of course.

Gamesradar
Dark Souls 2 seems to be exactly what we'd all hoped it would be. Which is to say, painfully difficult but immensely rewarding. I enjoyed what I played, though I wish I'd had more time to explore and see if its world offers various branches, or funnels you down a pathway of logical progression. Are you looking forward to dying over and over again? Have any specific questions about my time with the game? Drop a note in the comments below and I'll be sure to respond.

Playstation Blog
One thing that hasn’t changed is the series’ uniquely haunting atmosphere. Dark Souls II’s stellar opening cinema is adorned with disturbing imagery: a dead tree swarming with bloated fireflies, a ruined kingdom of impossible age, and a cackling coven of mystics. You, as a Hollow, are cursed to feed on the souls of the living. But you knew that already, didn’t you?

There should be more dropping soon.

Blinck

All the impressions I ever needed were the ones from EpicNameBro, and on twitter he said he liked it more than Dark Souls 1.

Enough for me. Time to go on Media Blackout!

liquidtmd

Banned
tumblr_inline_msdctjZzAJ1qz4rgp.gif

March can not get here soon enough. My only problem is figuring out when the hell Im going to play. We are getting one hell of a tax return, so I am getting Dark Souls 2, D3 RoS, South Park, and Second Son. First time in my life Ive spent that much on gaming software in like 1 months. Hell, I don't think Ive spent that in 6 months.

dugdug

Banned
Still really worried about this whole "invading while you're hollow" thing.

Like, if they're going to do that, I better never fucking see "summoning failed" a single time in my playthrough.

All the impressions I ever needed were the ones from EpicNameBro, and on twitter he said he liked it more than Dark Souls 1.

Enough for me. Time to go on Media Blackout!

Oh.. well that's immensely reassuring, because I haven't really liked what I've seen so far, but I've intentionally been avoiding most material.

ezekial45

Banned
I was worried about the Lifegems making it too easy, but the video from yesterday and impressions in the articles make them sound pretty balanced.

So what are your guys predictions for the PC release ? in the GB interview Brian answer to the question that Brad asked was really interesting.

FaintDeftone

Sooo hyped. I need to hurry and preorder it so I can nab that steelbook at Gamestop.

I do wish the game was a bit creepier looking ala Dark/Demon Souls, but it could very well still be.

Orayn

Destructoid said:
In many ways, Dark Souls II does a better job with easing players into the experience; learning the controls, abilities, and making the acclimation period a bit easier, at your own pace, and more accessible. Yes, you just read that this game is a little more accessible. And that's OK. I died more times in the opening hour of this game than I did in the previous Souls games. And that was after going through the tutorial sequence and learning controls I'm already familiar with.

It felt as though they made the opening of this game for players who wanted a challenge or were too confident in their abilities from the previous games. I felt constantly on edge, and had to think about what's going on and what to do next. While it's understandable to feel apprehensive about this game's slightly different approach to starting players off -- what Dark Souls II has essentially given players more rope, just so they're able to climb an even steeper cliff. And it all felt pretty fair to me.

Hey, remember about a year ago when the first interviews were coming out and dozens of people confidently declared that the sky was falling? Good times.

Grief.exe

I'm just waiting to get the Black Armor edition from Amazon, but they haven't put it up due to the delayed release.

They also have some bullshit date up for the download version, don't take that to heart if you go there, Tony confirmed that it was just placeholder to cover Amazon's ass.

Bookoo

On the Gamespot interview the interviewee said "It's coming out on PS3, Xbox360...and PC?"

Brian respond " March 11th for PS3 and Xbox and PC ..shortly...thereafter".

hype increases!

The specific quotes we have from Bamco are "shortly thereafter" and "March," both of which match up with Amazon UK's estimate of March 27.

Damn it all to hell, oh well at least its not like 4 months later, hopefully they stand by it and it only comes out a couple of weeks later.

RedSwirl

Reading that reddit info really makes Dark Souls seem more and more like old school CRPG dungeon crawlers. They way the whole game is about creating a character and just getting dropped into the world feels more free-form than most of what we're playing to day, but still has just enough structure to it. I guess Skyrim is the same way but DSII will probably have actual good combat.

Grief.exe

Reading that reddit info really makes Dark Souls seem more and more like old school CRPG dungeon crawlers. They way the whole game is about creating a character and just getting dropped into the world feels more free-form than most of what we're playing to day, but still has just enough structure to it. I guess Skyrim is the same way but DSII will probably have actual good combat.

And deeper RPG mechanics than a glorified perk system.

Thankfully From doesn't dumb their games down to that degree.

I really like the unpredictable way the enemies move. The gameplay will be excellent on that point alone. Animations are good for many enemies too even though the character's aren't always top notch.

Still a bit puzzled about the lack of PC footage though.

Its so strange, you think they would be highlighting that version instead of the console version as other developers do.

UnrealEck

I really like the unpredictable way the enemies move. The gameplay will be excellent on that point alone. Animations are good for many enemies too even though the character's aren't always top notch.

Still a bit puzzled about the lack of PC footage though.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
VAIRY NOICE

I just started Dark Souls last week and I totally understand all the praise this series gets. I unfortunately won't be getting DS2 upon release but I look forward to jumping into it later this year.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
NICE! Finally debunked the rumors that roll doesn't have invincibility frames.

Lingitiz

The specific quotes we have from Bamco are "shortly thereafter" and "March," both of which match up with Amazon UK's estimate of March 27.

I hope they don't miss March. I don't mind the delay since Titanfall is scheduled for the same day, but any longer a few weeks would be shitty.

I'm starting to feel like all their PC talk was just that, and we could be in for a crap port.

Edit: Brad on GB just said it sounded like it was going to be longer than a few weeks. If true that's a damn shame. So much for lead platform.

Top Bottom