• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Screenshots (by DeadEndThrills)

Lime

What does make something a bullshot? What you see here isn't actually achievable during normal gameplay.

By bullshots, I assume Kezen are referring to non-achievable graphics, i.e. using assets and rendering that simply isn't achievable in-game. E.g. EA's Madden bullshots back in the day.

Throwing off-line AA at the game is still something available and achievable for PC users.

JayB1920

I did this as best i could. Top one is a capture from the Xbox One version. Bottom is the pre release pc 4k shot.

VQcx3sW.jpg

HCrf06p.jpg

Here is the original pre release Xbox One screen. As you can see it was not an accurate comparison.

Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-3.jpg

Kezen

Banned
By bullshots, I assume Kezen are referring to non-achievable graphics, i.e. using assets and rendering that simply isn't achievable in-game. E.g. EA's Madden bullshots as an example.

Yup this is what I think about when I come across this term, but dark is correct in the sense that it can have other definitions.

DET grade IQ is certainly not achievable by us I would assume, but arguably the biggest thing to take away is that beating the xbone will not be a problem at all assuming mid-range gaming grade hardware (7870 and up).

Myself, I'm well aware I will have to deal with a level of shimmering like it's sadly on display in the available console sku.
Thankfully my 980 should be sufficient for higher quality settings.

Jayb1920 : Thank you for you xbone screen.
The jump in texture quality is clear as day. Should be the same even at 1080p.

tuxfool

Banned
Pot meet kettle.

That does not make it a bullshot though.

If they're giving him tools that they're not giving us, I would definitely classify it as a bullshot.

e: I should clarify that it also depends on the intent of the images released, and whether they're being portrayed as actually representative of the game as seen by a normal player.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Looks the same as on Xbox One aside from minor things like better resolution and better AA. Looking forward to PS4 vs Xbox One graphics comparison thread.

I really think some of you are looking at other screenshots. Besides, how can it "look the same" and then have better AA and res? That means that don't look the same.

NeoRaider

I did this as best i could. Top one is a capture from the Xbox One version. Bottom is the pre release pc 4k shot.

VQcx3sW.jpg

HCrf06p.jpg

Here is the original pre release Xbox One screen. As you can see it was not an accurate comparison.

Rise-of-the-Tomb-Raider-3.jpg

Thank you for this, it doesn't really look much different from the one they published, in some areas your screenshot looks even worse.

Bioshocker

I played it on Xbox One, it looks good there too (heck, it even looks good on Xbox 360 considering its age). Play the game, no matter the platform. It's great.

LowSignal

I regret selling my 970 in anticipation of new cards, I regifted my copy of ROTR because of my backlog but after watching people play it I really want to make a run through it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks like the XB1 had to sacrifice a lot of its GPU cycles to get the 1080p bullet point on there.

It still looks good don't get me wrong, but putting the PC version side by side shows some differences in texture res and assets, like the foliage.

Of course being 4k downsampled is going to make a significant difference as well to general IQ.

I wonder how the PS4 version will turn out since the XB1 version was already 1080p. Just what can they do with the overhead

XaosWolf

Will likely double dip on this. It's so much better than the first game its not even funny, and the graphical upgrade should stretch my new graphics card's legs. =D

There is a definite improvement to the graphics, but the XBONE version certainly didn't look like shit.
Except the L'Oréal hair...

Is it really not achievable at all? Even if you had unlimited funds to create the most powerful computer you possibly could?

You could get IQ like that probably downsampling from ~5K. Would definitely require at least a pair of TitanX's though (probably need more than 6GB VRAM at that res) for 30 FPS. The 40 megapixel resolutions here seem like overkill :p

hlhbk

Looks the same as on Xbox One aside from minor things like better resolution and better AA. Looking forward to PS4 vs Xbox One graphics comparison thread.

Are you serious? There is a major difference between the XBO and PC version in those shots.

Wagram

I felt like the original Tomb Raider on PC vs 360/PS3 felt like a generational leap. Definitely picking this up on PC.

I can't help but looking at this as a poor man's Uncharted. Will probably buy though.

played all 3 on ps4 and after that i was asking myself what the hype was all about....the new tomb raider was great and i hope that i will like this new one on PC too.

DOWN

Banned
Sucks that it was cross gen and had to fit all the core mechanics on 360 hardware but the superficial elements like Lara's model at least got the current gen only treatment

I love how resolution and filters are "minor things" when it's about pc versus consoles; when it's ps4 vs xbox a handful of pixels become the second coming of Christ.

It's a hard life being a single platform gamer xD

Mike Golf

Sucks that it was cross gen and had to fit all the core mechanics on 360 hardware but the superficial elements like Lara's model at least got the current gen only treatment

To be fair I don't think many current gen games couldn't be done mechanically last gen.

Mike Golf

I love how resolution and filters are "minor things" when it's about pc versus consoles; when it's ps4 vs xbox a handful of pixels become the second coming of Christ.

It's a hard life being a single platform gamer xD

It was great last gen, five or ten pixel advantage or a difference in 3 or 4 FPS to one console or the other was the defining death nell; today we have 720p vs 1080p at times and suddenly resolution isn't that big of a deal. Platform war logic is a fickle and mysterious thing at times.

Just to clarify, the 'offline AA' I use is in principle the same as SMAA, and due to laziness on my part is probably less effective. I run all games with the AA turned off because a) AA solutions in unreleased games are subject to change, and b) I often work with unreleased code and heavily modded retail games where you try and eliminate those things which might crash a shot that's taken the best part of a day to find or set up.

Downsampling is common industry practice nowadays for a great many reasons, from the demands of print magazines to the aforementioned AA issues. If there's a bullshotting spectrum, however, then it's right at the bottom, far from the egregious CG art approach that certain publishers use. It can also produce objectively worse results in realtime due to how modern post processing effects are calculated, while many believe a softer and more consistent image to be better than one where the polygons are conspicuously sharp. I only use these loopy resolutions because I'm publishing a book soon, so don't make the easy assumption that res=beauty, as it's not always the case.

As for this game, I don't need to insult your intelligence by shilling for Square Enix. It's Crystal Dynamics, it's Tomb Raider, it's Nixxes... You'll see soon enough.

Just to clarify, the 'offline AA' I use is in principle the same as SMAA, and due to laziness on my part is probably less effective. I run all games with the AA turned off because a) AA solutions in unreleased games are subject to change, and b) I often work with unreleased code and heavily modded retail games where you try and eliminate those things which might crash a shot that's taken the best part of a day to find or set up.

Downsampling is common industry practice nowadays for a great many reasons, from the demands of print magazines to the aforementioned AA issues. If there's a bullshotting spectrum, however, then it's right at the bottom, far from the egregious CG art approach that certain publishers use. It can also produce objectively worse results in realtime due to how modern post processing effects are calculated, while many believe a softer and more consistent image to be better than one where the polygons are conspicuously sharp. I only use these loopy resolutions because I'm publishing a book soon, so don't make the easy assumption that res=beauty, as it's not always the case.

As for this game, I don't need to insult your intelligence by shilling for Square Enix. It's Crystal Dynamics, it's Tomb Raider, it's Nixxes... You'll see soon enough.
The debug tools are far more important IMO, having DoF and full camera control allows for impeccable framing.

Gono

Banned
I can't help but looking at this as a poor man's Uncharted. Will probably buy though.

I made the mistake of trying to play TR2013 after beating Uncharted 1,2,3 and The Last of Us back to back.

I kinda hated this Tomb Raider reboot and really could not get into it.
Anyways, Rise looks a lot better. And its been 2 years since my first attempt with the first one.. Maybe ill like it now. :p

Still, poor man's Uncharted all the way lol

The debug tools are far more important IMO, having DoF and full camera control allows for impeccable framing.

Don't be so quick to assume I had DoF control via debug tools here. If I had to wait for every anticipated feature to be added via debug then I'd probably be out of a job. I used Unreal Engine DoF in Guilty Gear Xrd the other day, which is more than I can say for Guilty Gear Xrd itself. Cheat Engine is a wonderful thing.

Camera control is obviously essential. There are countless reasons for that, not least that it would be almost impossible to make a game, much less screenshot it, if a free camera wasn't there. You use the tools that achieve the best result without violating your ethical code. It's hard to imagine a PR shot done without a free-cam that wouldn't categorically fail at its purpose. Hell, you even have a screenshot thread on this forum where people expect nothing less.

Lime

TheOctagon: this camera tool you've used isn't going to be available for public use, I guess? SE will only make it available for the privileged few, I assume.

DOWN

Banned
To be fair I don't think many current gen games couldn't be done mechanically last gen.

Idk, BioWare talked about cutting significant gameplay features for Dragon Age due to cross gen and Shadow of Mordor's scope was intended for both gens but eventually had Nemesis System had to be stripped and replaced by a functionally minimal recreation of the mechanic. There's multiple examples of AAA's suffering in design because last gen being on the table is a ceiling for design scope.

That said, Rise of the Tomb Raider ended up being a great game regardless of its limits.

TheOctagon: this camera tool you've used isn't going to be available for public use, I guess? SE will only make it available for the privileged few, I assume.

I'm covered by NDA, obviously, but suffice it to say you'd have heard about such a feature if it was coming on day one. I genuinely have no idea if anything is planned thereafter.

If I don't do a quick and dirty CE table for it, you can bet HattiWatti will. Because I'll yell at him until he does.

That said, Duncan is probably going to take all the worthwhile screenshots anyway. But I'm sure people will still want to take their own shots with ReShade pooped all over it :p

Lime

I'm covered by NDA, obviously, but suffice it to say you'd have heard about such a feature if it was coming on day one. I genuinely have no idea if anything is planned thereafter.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder why companies don't disseminate their PR tools for consumers or even lock them away for public releases. You only get more exposure from people playing around with high-quality video game photography of your product. Photo mode this generation probably helps a bit, but it's still disappointing that people without access to the source code have to spend their free time without pay to scour through memory addresses to find the proper tools.

If I don't do a quick and dirty CE table for it, you can bet HattiWatti will. Because I'll yell at him until he does.

That said, Duncan is probably going to take all the worthwhile screenshots anyway. But I'm sure people will still want to take their own shots with ReShade pooped all over it :p

Thanks Jim. I appreciate you using your clout to do that :p

And like I said above, it's very privileged to have people like you, Duncan, and others in the community who spend your limited time on giving tools to everyone to do photography of video games. The games are working against you, you aren't getting paid for it, and game updates mess up the tables.

I wish companies did more to help either you guys or the everyday consumer.

Top Bottom