• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Rise of the Tomb Raider PC Screenshots (by DeadEndThrills)

Marvel

could never
I must be going blind, all I'm seeing is how incredible the xbox version still is and that there's barely any difference.

The shots of Lara in London with the hoodie look just like that on console, stunning cutscenes.

Looks the same as on Xbox One aside from minor things like better resolution and better AA. Looking forward to PS4 vs Xbox One graphics comparison thread.

Better resolution and AA aren't minor things though. Anyway by virtue of it being the same game of course it'll look similar on a macro level. This isn't ROTTR part 2.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
What? AF was lacking in the Xbone version, I'd assume they'd be able to up it with the PS4 version.

I mean, that's something they probably could have done with the XB1 version considering how its been implemented before and had no impact to performance metrics afterward

I'm talking about something more significant they could do with 50% GPU overhead(i'd assume that it scales linearly considering the XB1 version was already 1080p, so no resolution boost eating up GPU cycles)

I'm assuming some settings could be bumped up

Lime

I must be going blind, all I'm seeing is how incredible the xbox version still is and that there's barely any difference.

The shots of Lara in London with the hoodie look just like that on console, stunning cutscenes.

Must be? You already are blind if you're saying stuff like that :p

(Our standards obviously differ)

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

That clean and crisp? They certainly do not. I wouldn't call it a "generational leap", but definitely a step above the X1 version.

zsynqx

Wow, looks really nice

skinflower.png

Something looks off about this one though. I mean it is super detailed but her face looks kind of unnatural. Probably just me.

zsynqx

That is the very definition of Uncanny Valley.

Yer, but I usually get that from the eyes. I think it's her lips which appear weird and almost plastic looking, but it may just be unflattering lighting.

Whatever the case, the game still looks incredible

its the skin IMO, whatever SSS approximation they are doing isnt working well in this lighting condition

Yeah, probably this

Wow, looks really nice

Something looks off about this one though. I mean it is super detailed but her face looks kind of unnatural. Probably just me.

its the skin IMO, whatever SSS approximation they are doing isnt working well in this lighting condition

You guys are nitpicky as hell. I think that looks gorgeous.

If I'd complain about anything, it'd be that crappy looking fur. But..... no. Gorgeous.

GHG

Gold Member
Looks the same as on Xbox One aside from minor things like better resolution and better AA. Looking forward to PS4 vs Xbox One graphics comparison thread.

giphy.gif

Protect your assets guys. Do what you must.

Skux

Well of course it'll look great at 40 megapixels downsampled with AA and free camera placement. These are basically bullshots.

Well of course it'll look great at 40 megapixels downsampled with AA and free camera placement. These are basically bullshots.

What are you on? The fact that the PS4 port is one full year later or the fact that the PC version is the definitieve one.

Why would you need AA at 8K?

It's just his process. He's capturing shots at these crazy high resolutions because.... well, he explains here:

Downsampling is common industry practice nowadays for a great many reasons, from the demands of print magazines to the aforementioned AA issues. If there's a bullshotting spectrum, however, then it's right at the bottom, far from the egregious CG art approach that certain publishers use. It can also produce objectively worse results in realtime due to how modern post processing effects are calculated, while many believe a softer and more consistent image to be better than one where the polygons are conspicuously sharp. I only use these loopy resolutions because I'm publishing a book soon, so don't make the easy assumption that res=beauty, as it's not always the case.

From an IQ standpoint, anything beyond 15 megapixels would probably be overkill.

womp

Hah, you think this game will really be $5 during a Steam Sale?

Maybe in 2018, sure.

I paid $4.75 for Tomb Raider after I got my PC a little over a year ago. :)

Coincidentally I just sat and played it THIS week and beat it last night (Ultimate settings)...now I am hyped for more!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Looks great. The XBO version was already a great looking game, so PC gamers are in for a treat!

Spazznid

I paid $4.75 for Tomb Raider after I got my PC a little over a year ago. :)

Coincidentally I just sat and played it THIS week and beat it last night (Ultimate settings)...now I am hyped for more!

That kind of proves their point... You got TR for $5 years after release.

Smokey

Pretty hyped for this. The first TR was one of my absolute favs. I actually had the X1 version since release, and never played it. Sold it this week and bought a RotTR key here on GAF, and will play it on PC.

RoG Swift (Gsync, 1440p) or my 4K monitor is the decision that lies ahead...

Tubie

I got this for free when I bought my GTX 970 last week (I didn't know it was part of the deal till I went into checkout).

Actually pretty hyped for it!

Pif

Banned
I made the mistake of trying to play TR2013 after beating Uncharted 1,2,3 and The Last of Us back to back.

I kinda hated this Tomb Raider reboot and really could not get into it.
Anyways, Rise looks a lot better. And its been 2 years since my first attempt with the first one.. Maybe ill like it now. :p

Still, poor man's Uncharted all the way lol

Same here. Couldn't just appreciate tr2013 because of that.

That's why I will wait for a bargain price on this one, but at least looks better.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Same here. Couldn't just appreciate tr2013 because of that.

That's why I will wait for a bargain price on this one, but at least looks better.

Strange. Huge Uncharted fan here, played through all 3 multiple times on PS3, bought the ND collection day 1, have a replica if Drakes ring, etc.

Huge fan.

That said I still loved Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on PS4. It was a great ride, and left me wanting more. Really pumped for Rise, wish it had been current gen only.

From the looks of it this will still look fantastic on PC.

Zia

Did Nate Wells work on this? He doesn't have it listed on his LinkedIn, but he was there for awhile and some of that environmental art screams of his direction.

Strange. Huge Uncharted fan here, played through all 3 multiple times on PS3, bought the ND collection day 1, have etc.

Huge fan.

That said I still loved Tomb Raider Definitive Edition on PS4. It was a great ride, and left me wanting more. Really pumped for Rise, wish it had been current gen only.

From the looks of it this will still look fantastic on PC.

Huge uncharted fan here and after playing rise, then saying to my mrs she might love Uncharted and getting the trilogy I realised how much better than uncharted Rise is. I hope uncharted 4 copies a lot of Rise's open areas. Uncharted feels so linear and too much of a shooter after Rise.

Huge uncharted fan here and after playing rise, then saying to my mrs she might love Uncharted and getting the trilogy I realised how much better than uncharted Rise is. I hope uncharted 4 copies a lot of Rise's open areas. Uncharted feels so linear and too much of a shooter after Rise.

Uncharted is always linear experience and will never change. According to ND, they wanted to create a summer blockbuster movie which can be played from start to the end in linear fashion, but not like sandbox game. UC4 has open areas but they wont offer same freedom which rise provides and also weapons upgrades and customizations wont be there. Both games are completely different experiences so if you expect that then you'll be disappointed.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Uncharted is always linear experience and will never change. According to ND, they wanted to create a summer blockbuster movie which can be played from start to the end in linear fashion, but not like sandbox game. UC4 has open areas but they wont offer same freedom which rise provides and also weapons upgrades and customizations wont be there. Both games are completely different experiences so if you expect that then you'll be disappointed.

I rarely ever get the Uncharted comparisons (and, if nothing else, Tomb Raider has lost a sense of its identity by trying to head down the Uncharted path.

That said, I do like that Rise Of The Tomb Raider feels a little less like Uncharted than TR 2013 did. I'll just never understand the folks who feel that one has to "be better" or "like" the other. They can co-exist, after all.

dLMN8R

In case anyone wants to compare, here are screenshots I took directly from Xbox One.

Seeing the following with even higher levels of detail, AA, a better frame rate, and higher resolutions would be incredible.

womp

That kind of proves their point... You got TR for $5 years after release.

Yeah, a year later, not 'years'. TR came out in 2013, I paid $4.75 in 2014.

I'd wait a year to save $55 off a game. hehe My backlog ain't going nowhere at this point. :)

Hah, you think this game will really be $5 during a Steam Sale?

Maybe in 2018, sure.

Tomb Raider 2013 dropped to around $10 12 weeks after launch.

Not that I hope this will happen again. I urge people who like big single player games to support the game at a higher price than $5-10.

SE do seem to discount the game quickly though. I feel the ip is well known but many people want it cheap. This can work out as the PC game sold around 3.5-4 million. That's a significant return to add to the console sales of the first reboot.

Top Bottom