• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots for Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch [SPOILER WARNING]

I really have to get into the mindset that the Switch is a handheld hardware-wise.

I look at those pictures and think "Style aside, it looks terrible" but for a handheld it looks fantastic.

Lightning looks cool either way :p

:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

Thats just a hot mess.

The woman's face is just mangled thanks to the poor resolution.

It's a Wii U game.

Vitacat

:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

Thats just a hot mess.

Maybe I'm just being old, but I really don't notice graphical shortcomings the way so many GAF'ers seem to. Lucky me I guess.

Also, keep in mind this is basically a quickly ported WiiU game. It probably doesn't represent what the Switch can really do.

Thats just a hot mess.

DaBN9RL.gif

Kindekuma

Banned
Oh good! I thought the game's white balance was too high in most press footage I've seen, but those direct feed screenshots eased my fears.

Can't wait to see it in motion on my TV!

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
I'm so tired of looking at the Great Plateau and Horse Stables.

Charamiwa

Banned

Thats just a hot mess.

Yeah, if it was called The Legend of Belda it would be the laughing stock of the gaming world...

No, here's the thing. People know it doesn't look as technically good as some other games. Especially in screenshots. But in game, it looks fine, and the artstyle makes up for most technical shortcomings, especially in handeld mode. Most people know that by now. So what, should we just point at the flaws of a Wii U port endlessly, or maybe move on to talk about something else for a change?

You guys have to understand that you're not being misunderstood prophet when you point out that the game have bad AA or AF. Most people see that, and they're still excited for the game.

Fredrik

Thats just a hot mess.

It's a beauty in motion and the gameplay awesomeness makes you forget about the sub-par still pic visuals.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I'm glad I'm immune to whatever ailment the "these look terrible" crowd seem to be suffering from. This game looks gorgeous to me.

Hell, maybe I'm the sick one. If so, I hope I'm not "cured" any time soon.

The art design is top-notch, but these screenshots aren't doing the image quality of the game any favors.

Seriously, the game looks so much better in this direct-feed footage from a Switch commercial.

I'll be really happy if that footage is representative of the game's image quality, but I can't help but feel it was touched up for the commercial. I was under the impression that some videos and screens were getting messed up in the process, but I don't know anymore. Guess we'll find out soon!

AlStrong

I don't understand why people are complaining about its blurriness. Looks sharp to me. It looks like it's using a pretty damn good method for anti aliasing as well which is why the edges looks really smooth.

Aliasing can be easier to hide depending on art style.

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's a Wii U game.

Yes, it is, but you have people in this thread claiming how gorgeous it is, and "SO. GOOD." while we look at that and say "huh, the IQ on this is absolutely abysmal, we'd completely destroy any other game that had textures like this, no AF, barely any AA, and isn't native resolution". But this game is getting a pass.

It looks fun, I'm super excited to play it, but in no way do I think any of these screenshots show a technically good looking game. The art style is there, the gameplaylooks to be there, but the image quality aspects looked to have been completely set aside, which is an understandable trade off for a Wii U game. Still jarring to see people praise this yet see threads where people tear apart games for lacking AF or having a few poorly placed muddy textures.

EVH

Graphics-wise this game sucks. Some of the textures are blurry patches vomited out of a PS2 and the geometry out of the characters looks blocky and with a big lack of detail.

I'm sure it will be fun, but I am unable to skip comparisons graphics-wise with games like Dark Souls III where environments are a delight.

Graphics-wise this game sucks. Some of the textures are blurry patches vomited out of a PS2 and the geometry out of the characters looks blocky and with a big lack of detail.

I'm sure it will be fun, but I am unable to skip comparisons graphics-wise with games like Dark Souls III where environments are a delight.

I adore Dark Souls III. This game is far more appealing to me, visually.

Still jarring to see people praise this yet see threads where people tear apart games for lacking AF or having a few poorly placed muddy textures.

You're not talking about the same people.

LordKano

Yes, it is, but you have people in this thread claiming how gorgeous it is, and "SO. GOOD." while we look at that and say "huh, the IQ on this is absolutely abysmal, we'd completely destroy any other game that had textures like this, no AF, barely any AA, and isn't native resolution". But this game is getting a pass.

It looks fun, I'm super excited to play it, but in no way do I think any of these screenshots show a technically good looking game. The art style is there, the gameplaylooks to be there, but the image quality aspects looked to have been completely set aside, which is an understandable trade off for a Wii U game. Still jarring to see people praise this yet see threads where people tear apart games for lacking AF or having a few poorly placed muddy textures.

You know, you can like how a game looks even when it's technically not a beast. There's no way to deny that it isn't aced technically, some textures are low res and there's aliasing. I still think it's a beautiful game though.

You know, you can like how a game looks even when it's technically not a beast. There's no way to deny that it isn't aced technically, some textures are low res and there's aliasing. I still think it's a beautiful game though.

Seriously, the game looks way better to me than plenty of games with far better IQ technically. People put way too much emphasis on the technical aspects of graphics imo

Ridley327

I tried correcting the levels from 0-255 to 16-235 in GIMP and it looks a lot better. Maybe the screens were saved at 0-255 but the Switch only outputs at 16-235? I think the Wii U was like that also.

tuUwV8xl.png
hcPGV98l.png

Full size pics http://i.imgur.com/tuUwV8x.png https://i.imgur.com/hcPGV98.jpg

IIRC, the UI videos showed that there's an option for full and limited RGB support that the user can set. It would not surprise me one bit if whoever captured the screenshots didn't realize that.

As others have said, this is basically the definitive version of a WiiU game. Same as it were for Twilight Princess. I can imagine the next Zelda that's exclusive for the Switch will look WAY better.

It's a quick WiiU port, and a day 1 launch release.

I'm sure Switch can do better. Give developers some time. These are very early days.

I'm not sure calling it a "quick port" is doing it justice, I believe development started on this version at the beginning of 2016, and it has some notable graphical upgrades from the WiiU version.

I agree that we'll really start to see what the Switch can do with titles like Super Mario Odyessy later in the year.

sanstesy

This thread is a good wake-up call for some people expecting the IQ of PS4/XBO games for Switch games. You ain't getting that.

Super Mario Odyssey will have bad IQ as well. Maybe even worse.

Chaos17

The game looks bad IQ wise, really bad.

Not really, but it will be amazing on our tiny switch screens

It depends a lot of your TV.
You can check E3 different gameplay and some Tv just make the game looks so better.
https://youtu.be/52UaLUUnpe4
https://youtu.be/fEI8H262EAk

But if you're looking for Horizon or Witcher 3, you can leave this thread.
Graphics aren't as much important if the gameplay is fun and that's what this new Zelda is promising: FUN.

This thread is a good wake-up call for some people expecting the IQ of PS4/XBO games for Switch games. You ain't getting that.

This is pretty on-par with IQ for most Xbox One games in my experience. Obviously less advanced in terms of effects and stuff though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
It's a quick WiiU port, and a day 1 launch release.

I'm sure Switch can do better. Give developers some time. These are very early days.

Dude. This is their biggest flagship release for most of the year. It being at launch does not make it a 'quick port' with little effort put into it. That's selling the developers short.

It's a beauty in motion and the gameplay awesomeness makes you forget about the sub-par still pic visuals.

Yeah probably. I have no doubt that the game will be great. But Zelda and the artists that designed all the characters and assets just deserve better hardware imo. It looks really disappointing. Even the Art-direction doesn't seem to be able to go all the way because of these limitations. Not impressed in any way visually. Not even Art direction. Although i see what they wanted to achieve.

But you're right, it will look much better in motion. Especially on a handheld.

Venfayth

Just curious, is there a reason you have to believe that Super Mario Odyssey will have worse IQ than this?

Vitacat

It depends a lot of your TV.
You can check E3 different gameplay and some Tv just make the game looks so better.
https://youtu.be/52UaLUUnpe4
https://youtu.be/fEI8H262EAk

But if you're looking for Horizon or Witcher 3, you can leave this thread.
Graphics aren't as much important if the gameplay is fun and that's what this new Zelda is promising: FUN.

Amen.

I have a 2016 gaming PC for super duper graphics.

When it comes to consoles, I would probably choose a less pretty Switch version of a game over PS4/XB1 (and I own both) because it would offer so much more versatility, i.e. play on the couch, easily continue in bed, take along on a trip etc. If I really want the best graphics, then I'll get it on PC.

Flare

Obviously the game is not technically impressive. But it does look pretty. Between this and Horizon (and Nier), the next two weeks will break me.

sanstesy

Just curious, is there a reason you have to believe that Super Mario Odyssey will have worse IQ than this?

SMO is a solid 60 fps while having more demanding texture work than BotW and also having big sandbox open-worldish levels. They have to sacrifice something.

And you just have to look at the SMO trailer itself which is 720p with no AA. People believe that they will make it 1080p docked when the game comes out but that's obviously just fanboy dreams.

Top Bottom