• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots for Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch [SPOILER WARNING]

Ridley327

Just curious, is there a reason you have to believe that Super Mario Odyssey will have worse IQ than this?

Right now, pixel counters have it marked as being 720p, but everyone agrees that they're probably going to do an optimization for docked mode with all the time they have between now and its release later this year. Splatoon 2 is also 720p in docked mode presently, though the developers did mention that they're going to be fine-tuning the graphics as the game appears to be more or less content complete at this point.

Rodin

SMO is a solid 60 fps while having more demanding texture work than BotW and also having big sandbox open-worldish levels.

And you just have to look at the SMO trailer itself which is 720p with no AA. People believe that they will make it 1080p docked when the game comes out but that's obviously just fanboy dreams.

AA in Odyssey is likely the same as 3D World: post AA that disappears in some instances. About the final game resolution i'd rule out 1080p, but who knows.

Vitacat

Dude. This is their biggest flagship release for most of the year. It being at launch does not make it a 'quick port' with little effort put into it. That's selling the developers short.

My meaning is that it is not a remastered port, i.e. seems like the same textures in general.

I know it has greater draw distance, and better res in dock mode, compared to WiiU. But beyond that... so far it seems like a fairly straight port. And I'm OK with that, very much so. My bigger point is that I don't think we should judge the Switch's visual capabilities by this game. We won't see what it can truly do for a few years, as with any other game system.

gogojira

Every Zelda thread has 10 people reminding everyone how it doesn't look good and anyone who likes its aesthetic is simply lying to themselves. Good lord, just shut up.

The game looks great in motion and the insane diversity of gameplay elements combined with the massive world have me all kinds of hyped. Can't fucking wait.

Rodin

Why does this footage look way better than anything shown before?

Because gamma isn't fucked and the bitrate is a bit more decent than other trailers.

Because it's been touched up for the advert? There's like no jaggies or anything. That's not going to be representative of the final game.

They touched up cutscenes and a few gameplay bits that clearly don't look as good in terms of iq? Man they're bad

Kevin

I was hoping the Switch could have at least run a Wii U game with high IQ

I think a lot of the Wii U ports will. Like Mario Kart looked good. Runs at 1080p/60 frames. Switch never impressed me visually but I think the appear for me is this:

The Switch will allow the ability to play nearly every Nintendo game ever made on one single portable console (obviously some exclusives like DS/3DS stuff). Nintendo could release GameCube, Wii, Wii U, etc onto a Switch and gamers could take and play these awesome titles anywhere.

For me this is the big sales pitch. It's also why I've been completely bummed by the lack of a Virtual Console announcement from Nintendo just one week before the system is releases.

It's clear that VC won't be out for months and who knows whats even going on with their online plans. lol

Venfayth

SMO is a solid 60 fps while having more demanding texture work than BotW and also having big sandbox open-worldish levels. They have to sacrifice something.

And you just have to look at the SMO trailer itself which is 720p with no AA. People believe that they will make it 1080p docked when the game comes out but that's obviously just fanboy dreams.

Right now, pixel counters have it marked as being 720p, but everyone agrees that they're probably going to do an optimization for docked mode with all the time they have between now and its release later this year. Splatoon 2 is also 720p in docked mode presently, though the developers did mention that they're going to be fine-tuning the graphics as the game appears to be more or less content complete at this point.

I might be wrong but isn't Super Mario Odyssey 720p at the moment?

Thanks, didn't know most of this.

BriGuy

Still not liking how half of the footage released so far looks like it's through a Super Mario Sunshine filter. That game caused me legit eye strain.

Salex_

Look at the screenshots on your phone if you want an idea of how it would look un-docked. It looks amazing for an handheld. Some of those textures needs some improvement though.

If you don't want to be disappointed, start seeing the Switch as a handheld that can output to a TV with a performance boost. Anyone who played the bigger Vita games knows how incredible it was to play games like that on a portable device with proper buttons. Now the graphics are a huge leap in comparison and it's going to get far more support. Great times for handheld fans.

Outputting it to TV makes the performance worse actually

I've only heard about Zelda's framerate being less stable docked, not sure if this happens for other games. I meant more power overall (higher resolution).

dogstar

Banned
You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

I guess it appeals to some sort of retro aesthetic, rather than any interest in contempoary tech. It holds no appeal for me... maybe ten/fifteen years ago, but not now.

ckaneo

Look at the screenshots on your phone if you want an idea of how it would look un-docked. It looks amazing for an handheld. Some of those textures needs some improvement though.

If you don't want to be disappointed, start seeing the Switch as a handheld that can output to a TV with a performance boost. Anyone who played the bigger Vita games knows how incredible it was to play games like that on a portable device with proper buttons. Now the graphics are a huge leap in comparison and it's going to get far more support. Great times for handheld fans.
Outputting it to TV makes the performance worse actually

-shadow-

I tried correcting the levels from 0-255 to 16-235 in GIMP and it looks a lot better. Maybe the screens were saved at 0-255 but the Switch only outputs at 16-235? I think the Wii U was like that also.

Full size pics http://i.imgur.com/tuUwV8x.png https://i.imgur.com/hcPGV98.jpg

Apparently the Switch does support full range RGB, but it's possible that whoever captured this at NOA has no idea about what this all means and how to capture it correctly. It's pretty much always that their media is really washed out and they really should hire someone who knows about this.

I hope you realize that these are jpegs compressed by imgur and blowned from 900p to 1080p. They're hardly representative of the actual image quality of the game, but thank god there's a share button on Switch so this sillyness can end in about 10 days.

Sorry bud but there's a big difference between jpeg compression and aliasing.

RagnarokX

vRUgYYf.png

ALBW Hylian:

get
defensive

protect
yourself

:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

Thats just a hot mess.

The woman's face is just mangled thanks to the poor resolution.

Are you trolling or something? Don't answer cause you are.

Whompa02

Looks really really rough...colors and lighting is nice but landscapes, AA, textures, etc...all looks really ugly. Really a lot of low rez stuff happening in those shots.

Drencrom

BoTW will most likely be a damn fine game, but man, the game looks so blatantly lastgen because of the muddy textures and angular geometry.

Charamiwa

Banned
Yes, it is, but you have people in this thread claiming how gorgeous it is, and "SO. GOOD." while we look at that and say "huh, the IQ on this is absolutely abysmal, we'd completely destroy any other game that had textures like this, no AF, barely any AA, and isn't native resolution". But this game is getting a pass.

But what does it mean? Are you suggesting that the devs that have been working on it since 2013 have been lazy all this time? Is there any example of a game similar to this on a Wii U that looks significantly better that would prove their incompetence?

It's a shame that they have to work with these limitations, but it is what it is. I don't think people are "giving them a pass", just that they understand the situation and despite all that, the game still looks exiting and fun. And in some cases (one on one duels with depth of field, notably) it still looks really great.

LotusHD

Banned
I'm so tired of looking at the Great Plateau and Horse Stables.

Look at this way. We should be happy because that these two places, the Plateau in particular, is big enough that it could be used to give us the majority of the gameplay footage we've seen these past few months.

Now the game's going to come out, and we essentially know very little of what's out there beyond the Plateau.

Yes, it is, but you have people in this thread claiming how gorgeous it is, and "SO. GOOD." while we look at that and say "huh, the IQ on this is absolutely abysmal, we'd completely destroy any other game that had textures like this, no AF, barely any AA, and isn't native resolution". But this game is getting a pass.

Yes, one of the most beloved franchises in gaming is getting a pass. I wonder why lol

ckaneo

Zelda teams graphics have been lackluster for a while now.

Skyward Sword Ugly
ALBW Ugly

And I know the hardware limitations, but they really gotta improve their facial drawing and texture packs cause a lot of these are artwork related.

sanstesy

Skyward Sword Ugly
ALBW Ugly

And I know the hardware limitations, but they really gotta improve their facial drawing and texture packs cause a lot of these are artwork related.

There is no "Zelda graphics team".

The same people doing the technial work for MK8, Nintendo Land and Pikmin 3 are doing the work for BotW. Art direction is a different story.

Skyward Sword Ugly
ALBW Ugly

It's weird. I think those games both look ugly as hell in screens, but when I'm actually playing them, I think they look fine. And I'm having so much fun, I don't really care about things like IQ. The magic of Zelda (or any great game, really).

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm glad I don't play screenshots.

LotusHD

Banned
It's weird. I think those games both look ugly as hell in screens, but when I'm actually playing them, I think they look fine. And I'm having so much fun, I don't really care about things like IQ.

Basically. The pictures are... lacking, but not that bad. But during gameplay, it's more than fine imo

phanphare

Banned
It's weird. I think those games both look ugly as hell in screens, but when I'm actually playing them, I think they look fine. And I'm having so much fun, I don't really care about things like IQ.

cosigned

take a screen of splatoon and it looks like poop

actually play it and it's a feast for the eyes

Technically the game looks like a mess. But just shows how long a well designed art style can go. Wish could play this on PS4 Pro in 4K :D.

Futureman

:-/ those look horrible. I'm excited for this, but these look really bad. The aliasing, the muddy textures. You guys would tear apart any other game that looked like this, but your drooling for this one.

maybe because gameplay-wise many people here absolutely adore the Zelda series and this is, whether you are impressed or not, the best looking Zelda game ever, so it's exciting.

It's not a technical marvel but I think it looks so much better than Skyward Sword. Can't wait.

Also nice to see Link rising early for that 4:20 AM wake and bake in the first screen.

Top Bottom