• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New screenshots for Zelda Breath of the Wild on Switch [SPOILER WARNING]

Pagusas

Elden Member
Are you trolling or something? Don't answer cause you are.

Not one bit, just because someone doesn't follow the narrative you want does not make them a troll. I'm legitly trying to understand the praise and what others are seeing. I've seen others give great replies to my comments and reasons why the game is seen as beautiful even though technically it is sub par.

Just finished Shadow of the Colossus. Definitely see a lot of its influence here, which is a good thing. Not feeling this watercolor art style though, looks a whole generation behind after seeing Horizon in action but I doubt it matters in the long run.

Best wishes.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Not one bit, just because someone doesn't follow the narrative you want does not make them a troll. I'm legitly trying to understand the praise and what others are seeing. I've seen others give great replies to my comments and reasons why the game is seen as beautiful even though technically it is sub par.

The issue is that this game isn't sub par at all, considering the type of game it is and the hw is running on

This, is the issue

Apart from that, opinions are legit and people can dislike it

I like it very much

phanphare

Banned

for me it's the art, lighting, and animations mostly

love how they did the cell shaded look

PrimeBeef

I'm not sure calling it a "quick port" is doing it justice, I believe development started on this version at the beginning of 2016, and it has some notable graphical upgrades from the WiiU version.

I agree that we'll really start to see what the Switch can do with titles like Super Mario Odyessy later in the year.

It is a quick port though. Aonuma stated they began work on the Switch version in Spring of 2016. So from then to gold, was less than a year. Of course they took advantage of some of the Switches power and advantages over the WiiU, but it really is just a quick port.

jett

D-Member
I knew there was something wrong with the balance levels of the pictures Nintendo was releasing. Hopefully it's indeed not how the game actually looks like.

I hope you realize that these are jpegs compressed by imgur and blowned from 900p to 1080p. They're hardly representative of the actual image quality of the game, but thank god there's a share button on Switch so this sillyness can end in about 10 days.

I hope you realize that the same 900p picture will be blown up on your TV to 1080p, and that the quality of these screenshots is actually pretty good.

ASIS

Yeah, technically speaking the game is a hot mess actually.

But it I still think it looks gorgeous.

There a lot of lasers in this game which is funny considering the setting.

Always been alot of lasers in Zelda. This is nothing new! ;)

Legend_of_Zelda-A_Link_to_the_Past_SNES_34.png

021.png

Rodin

I hope you realize that the same 900p picture will be blown up on your TV to 1080p, and that the quality of these screenshots is actually pretty good.

I hope you realize that i don't watch my tv from the same distance as my monitor, and that in no way the quality of pics uploaded on imgur can be considered "pretty good".

Yeah, technically speaking the game is a hot mess actually.

No it isn't.

PrimeBeef

Dude. This is their biggest flagship release for most of the year. It being at launch does not make it a 'quick port' with little effort put into it. That's selling the developers short.

I agree with there was a ton of effort put into it, but it is really a port. Nothing in this game was designed with the Switch in mind. All it does on the switch is take advantage of its power to give a slightly better resolution, better draw distance, and better sound.

ASIS

No it isn't.

Yes, it is. This is a game where you have:

- Unstable framerate.
-Poor Draw Distance, which leads to...
- Pop in, Pop in everywhere.
-Extremely poor textures.
- bad IQ.

As I said, I still think the game looks beautiful, the animation work is nothing short of incredible and the color palette is drop dead gorgeous. But technically speaking, the game is lacking.
this fact does not change my hype whatsoever. But I'm calling a spade a spade.

BDGAME

Seeing on my phone, there is no aliasing or bad textures.

So yes, this game will be best played on the switch on portable mode.

the GAF IQ and texture artwork armchair engineers/artists have already arrived. Instead of looking at screenshots, maybe check out some of the direct feed videos before you trash something? You don't play screenshots. It looks so much better here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktFlmH_0CI

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiEYTN-nDso

Yeah, it's not perfect, especially framerate wise, but to say it has ugly iq and ugly texture work is just plain wrong when its in motion.

the GAF IQ and texture artwork armchair engineers/artists have already arrived. Instead of looking at screenshots, maybe check out some of the direct feed videos before you trash something? You don't play screenshots. It looks so much better here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ktFlmH_0CI

and here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiEYTN-nDso

Yeah, it's not perfect, especially framerate wise, but to say it has ugly iq and ugly texture work is just plain wrong when its in motion.

lol? 900p is 900p dude. "armchair engineers" lol.

Instro

- Unstable framerate.
-Poor Draw Distance, which leads to...
- bad IQ.

As I said, I still think the game looks beautiful, the animation work is nothing short of incredible and the color palette is drop dead gorgeous. But technically speaking, the game is lacking.

Truly it reminds me a lot of XCX, to the point that I wonder if it's the same engine. Inconsistent texture quality, horrendous pop-in, bad geometry and IQ. It's particularly unfortunate that the Switch can't even run this at 1080p, which brings up concerns about how much further they will be able to push that device beyond what we are seeing here. I'm sure it's in part due to limitations of the originally intended system and engine, but nonetheless.

dan2026

Looks very washed out.
Like the gamma on the tv isn't set right.

Also I don't see anything that could be called a spoiler in those pictures.

Rodin

- Unstable framerate.
We don't know that yet. DF tested version 12S and they found two dips, one related to DoF and the other one was caused by a problem with the streaming and didn't happen again when they returned to the same spot. Not that i expect a locked 30fps in every situation, but i'd say we should wait for proper testing of the final version before drawing conclusions about the frame rate.

-Poor Draw Distance
It actually isn't that bad considering that this is originally a Wii U game. Lod is pretty shitty though (it was already bad in the 2014 reveal), but again, Wii U game.

Games that run on much more powerful hardware still have severe pop in issues.
I agree that textures are one of the less refined aspects of the game, but to judge if they're poor or extremely poor i'll wait for better media than some blown up pics hosted on imgur.

- bad IQ.
See up here.

You know what's really shitty though? The trilinear filtering. In fact i'd say that textures, texture filtering and lod are the worst aspects of the game's graphics.

It's still a game born on Wii U (and quickly ported to Switch for launch) with giant scale and some pretty impressive lighting, shaders, models, effects and physics. Some things need to be verified (frame rate, how actually bad textures are, iq from proper shots), but all in all, i wouldn't call it a hot mess. I would call it a freaking miracle on Wii U and a decent port on Switch. It certainly doesn't compare favourably to other games on more powerful consoles in terms of graphics tech, but that should be expected no?

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
It's obviously not impressive by technical standards but like most Nintendo games it really shines in motion due to it's artstyle.

Remember that even in docked mode, Switch is a full generational leap (10x) weaker in GPU numbers than PS4 Pro.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Look at this way. We should be happy because that these two places, the Plateau in particular, is big enough that it could be used to give us the majority of the gameplay footage we've seen these past few months.

Now the game's going to come out, and we essentially know very little of what's out there beyond the Plateau.
Yeah I know, sometimes it just feels like there's nothing else apart from endless Plateau.
What else are you going to look at? There's no dungeons or towns.
Well played, lol.

Mendrox

Truly it reminds me a lot of XCX, to the point that I wonder if it's the same engine. Inconsistent texture quality, horrendous pop-in, bad geometry and IQ. It's particularly unfortunate that the Switch can't even run this at 1080p, which brings up concerns about how much further they will be able to push that device beyond what we are seeing here. I'm sure it's in part due to limitations of the originally intended system and engine, but nonetheless.

Wasn't it said that they use the same engine as XCX? The stream magic that they did with the game also shines here I think.

Rodin

Wasn't it said that they use the same engine as XCX? The stream magic that they did with the game also shines here I think.

It's definitely not the XCX engine. Some of the limitations they share are due to the limitations of the hardware they both run on.

ASIS

We don't know that yet. DF tested version 12S and they found two dips, one related to DoF and the other one was caused by a problem with the streaming and didn't happen again when he returned to that spot. Not that i expect a locked 30fps in every situation, but i'd say we should wait for a proper testing of the final version before drawing conclusions.

It actually isn't that bad considering that this is originally a Wii U game. Lod is pretty shitty though (it was already bad in the 2014 reveal), but again, Wii U game.

Games that run on much more powerful hardware still have severe pop in issues.

I agree that textures are one of the less refined aspects of the game, but to judge if they're poor or extremely poor i'll wait for better media than some blown up pics hosted on imgur.

See up here.

You know what's really shitty though? The trilinear filtering. In fact i'd say that textures, texture filtering and lod are the worst aspects of the game's graphics.

It's still a game born on Wii U (and quickly ported to Switch for launch) with giant scale and some pretty impressive lighting, shaders, models and effects, with some things that need to be verified (frame rate, how actually bad textures are, iq from proper shots). All in all, i wouldn't call it a hot mess. It certainly doesn't compare favourably to other games on more powerful consoles in terms of graphics tech, but that doesn't mean it's a "hot mess".

Right, for Wii U. The problem is that Wii U is not a technical powerhouse to begin with. A real technical marvel is something like SMG where it looked good "despite" the hardware it was on. This is a game that has been suffering in various points due to the hardware it was built on. I get it, and at the end of the day none of the points I mentioned really bother me that much or at all (except for frame rate, but I'll give that one to you and wait for the final verdict), but the problems are still there and we can't just give them excuses over and over again.

I won't discuss this any further because I really don't want to be the downer in this party. But I hope I got my point across.

watershed

Banned
Pre-lease chatter is always about technical details, and post-lease chatter is more about the game itself. I can't wait to turn the corner to that next phase. The screenshots look cool, I'm curious about those npcs.

Scrawnton

Right, for Wii U. The problem is that Wii U is not a technical powerhouse to begin with. A real technical marvel is something like SMG where it looked good "despite" the hardware it was on. This is a game that has been suffering in various points due to the hardware it was built on. I get it, and at the end of the day none of the points I mentioned really bother me that much or at all (except for frame rate, but I'll give that one to you and wait for the final verdict), but the problems are still there and we can't just give them excuses over and over again.

I won't discuss this any further because I really don't want to be the downer in this party. But I hope I got my point across.
What was the point anyway? That the games a technical mess compared to modern games and that may impact your enjoyment? I get all the points of why it has shortcomings but I don't look at this game and feel upset. I look at this game in excitement because, despite what you point out, it still looks unlike any game I've played before. (Not graphically but conceptually and mechanically).

hatchx

Banned
Looks fantastic to me. I think it's a 'more than the sum of its parts' type of situation. The textures and LOD aren't great, but the physics, art style, and animation make up for it. The framerate is basically a locked 30fps too which is good for an open world game like this.

Also the world looks like it has varied and well-thought out geometry and level design. I don't know if that's considered graphics.

The hit detection, controls and general combat polish also look phenomenal.

All in all I still think it looks phenomenal and I can't wait.

Charamiwa

Banned
Pre-lease chatter is always about technical details, and post-lease chatter is more about the game itself. I can't wait to turn the corner to that next phase. The screenshots look cool, I'm curious about those npcs.

It reminds me of FFXV that way. Every damn thread was about how poor the IQ was, with same kind of posts everytime. Finally after it came out it was all about the game.

We've been through this so many times with Zelda too. Yes the screenshots look bad, yes there's a weird haze sometimes... Please let's move on now lol. The previews are in 3 days, hopefully it'll focus on something else for a change.

Yeah, the Zelda team never made any graphically groundbreaking game apart from WW, no news there.
I still think this looks amazing, but screenshots show some pretty bad things if you want to go full technical.

Once again, I feel lucky not being really updated in the most technically advanced graphics (PS4, XBONE, and especially PC), that I can appreciate games like this for what they are.

Yeah, in comparison to modern games BOTW is very technically limited. But if you are not used to this gen's graphics, the game actually looks pretty good, especially due to the great artstyle.

Rodin

Yeah, the Zelda team never made any graphically groundbreaking game apart from WW, no news there.
I still think this looks amazing, but screenshots show some pretty bad things if you want to go full technical.

I'll never understand this lol. Every Zelda game has consistently amongst the best graphics and tech on their console and generation, not just Wind Waker. Breath of the Wild is no exception for Wii U, and it still looks like a decent port for Switch. For a "portable" game it will be the best ever released when it hits the market on march 3.

Once again, I feel lucky not being really updated in the most technically advanced graphics (PS4, XBONE, and especially PC), that I can appreciate games like this for what they are.

Yeah, in comparison to modern games BOTW is very technically limited. But if you are not used to this gen's graphics, the game actually looks pretty good, especially due to the great artstyle.
I mostly play on PC, i also have a PS4 Pro, and i find Breath of the Wild absolutely impressive. Not because its tech matches what i'm seeing on other platforms i own, but simply because i tend to judge games based on what are the graphical capabilities of the systems they run on. Breath of the Wild is running on a 2008 architecture that draws 33W at 45nm and on a <10W tablet, you bet your ass it's impressive.

Top Bottom