• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New "The Last of Us" Trailer

untitled-1nczci.gif

pbhawks45

Banned
This is probably a weird thing to really appreciate, but god damn, that title font is fucking incredible. It does an amazing job of conveying a powerful setting, and the withering of the lettering at the bottom seems symbolic. It's so imposing.

untitled-41cz73.gif

Difficult to slow down high action shots, although you can still see the high level of detail.

Yeah, doesn't look as good as I thought it would, but basically if you go frame by frame you can tell each piece of glass is actually a different object and reflecting, instead of just particles or something.

What's going on with the front windshield in the second half of the gif?

God rays/Lighting hitting hit.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Aren't there pictures of the character model in a normal shooting scenario?
Those pictures make him look the same as what I remember from seeing it upclose in the French forest scene. While you don't get into any shootouts there either, you can shoot at trees etc, so it's more of a normal type of scene I guess. I just thought lighting looked great there so I spent some time turning camera around to see what Drake looks like.

Damn, Ellie looked JUST like Ellen Page before. Gotta say I liked her look better that way.

<3 Ellen.
I thought that was not a good thing considering that Page was not the actress who does the character.

Basically what you see here but with higher resolution and more frames per second.
I doubt they'll got for just that. New hardware will bring a lot more shader programmability.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
This is my most look froward to game that I know is actually coming out (sorry BG&E2, Half-Life 3, and The Last Guardian).

Just gorgeous. And I love the vibe I am getting from the main characters' connection, it is very The Road-ish.

Bowdz

Jesus. I'm decided to look at IMDB to see who is playing Joel and Ellie and it looks like Joel's VA (Troy Baker) is Nolan North 2.0. He has been in damn near every game over the past few years:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1684869/

Some highlights:
- Kai Leng in Mass Effect 3
- Jake Muller in Resident Evil 6
- Booker in Bioshock Infinite
- Ryu in Ninja Gaiden 3
- Drake, Dent, and Robin in Batman Arkham City
- Star Wars: The Old Republic
- CoD: MW3
- SOCOM 4
- Fable 3
- Darksiders
- MGS Peace Walker
- Star Wars: Kinect

Just to name a few. I can't wait to hear more from both of from both the actors.

solarus

I REALLY, wish Naughty Dog had developed this for the PS4 instead. I mean it looks amazing here, but it probably would have been a mindblowing technical showcase for the PS4. At the same time though... I need this now!

I doubt they'll got for just that. New hardware will bring a lot more shader programmability.

Oh I know, that's why I said "basically". I wanted to convey the fact that the common Joe won't be able to quantify the differences between "Last of Us" and launch software for PS4/720 because "Last" is already so well made. Visually, from a non tech-head standpoint, I don't think there's going to be a huge difference between the two, personally. Hope I'm wrong and its different looking enough that normal people's jaws drop when they see it.

Loudninja

I REALLY, wish Naughty Dog had developed this for the PS4 instead. I mean it looks amazing here, but it probably would have been a mindblowing technical showcase for the PS4. At the same time though... I need this now!
No thank you.

I glad I dont have to buy a new system just to play this.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
IGN: Uncharted's combat is all about wasting bullets and then just finding more. If we're scavenging in this apocalypse, is that style of fighting out the window?

Bruce Straley: Not completely, but it will have a much different feel, and greater consequence if you choose to play that way. The Last of Us takes place in a much darker, more brutal world. There has to be realistic tension between the characters, and a sense of danger and consequence when you are in combat. Civilization and the production of goods as we know it have ceased, and many things are in short supply – especially expendables like bullets, or first aid supplies. Because of this, you’re going to have to make judgment calls on when to use and when to conserve your supplies. But there still will be avenues the more action-oriented player can take to make their way through the game. That creates very different combat scenarios from most shooters out today.

This has me a teeny bit worried, while I like more actioney gameplay of Uncharted, I would not want to play a game like this in that way.

PSY&#12539;S;37935096 said:

Not trying to nitpick (the game looks phenomenal), but when the guy smacks the car shouldn't the glass in front of the driver crack/shatter/break?
I like that it jacks up the side-mirror, though. :}

Levyne

Banned
Man I wish I was as passionate as some of you guys are. I watch the video and hype myself up and then onto the next thing. I come back and I see analysis of Ellie's face, in-cutscene and in-gameplay Drake''s face discussion, whether or not the game will or should feature a darker setting for reason's A B and C.

You guys are crazy!

Game looks great though.

What do you think ND's second team is doing?

What do you think ND's second team is doing?
Now that nd is makin an m rated game, I really wish the other team go back to e rated platformer, it didnt have to be jak games, I just want to see nd make a cartoon platformer again especially now that they lost ratchet dev and the new sly dev is unproven so far.

TripOpt55

Now that nd is makin an m rated game, I really wish the other team go back to e rated platformer, it didnt have to be jak games, I just want to see nd make a cartoon platformer again especially now that they lost ratchet dev and the new sly dev is unproven so far.

I'd love to see a cartoony platformer again from them whether it be Jak or something new. It doesn't seem likely, but I'd love to see something like that again.

This has me a teeny bit worried, while I like more actioney gameplay of Uncharted, I would not want to play a game like this in that way.

Yea same here. Can't goddam wait, but that line has me a lil scared. I want this to be what I Am Alive wanted to be.

Not trying to nitpick (the game looks phenomenal), but when the guy smacks the car shouldn't the glass in front of the driver crack/shatter/break?

Not if he rolls off the side.

Loudninja

Different paths maybe?

I woudnt worry about that at all though, they already made it clear what type of game they making several times.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Nah, he rolls up the hood and the glass, doesn't seem like that would break it.

Loudninja said:
Different paths maybe?
Or more hand to hand blunt weapons based combat. I think one screen shows Joel carrying a 2x4 or some pipe if I'm remembering correctly. I'd imagine you can just run towards the enemies and beat them up that way, or perhaps sneak around them so they never see you, whichever you choose.

Yea same here. Can't goddam wait, but that line has me a lil scared. I want this to be what I Am Alive wanted to be.
Yeah, they would be smart to look at what I am Alive did right. That game has some good ideas, even if the execution is not always that good.

Well, if they were to do the same type of gameplay as Uncharted, they could have just made Uncharted 4. Doesn't really make sense to do a new franchise and not change any of the gameplay...

Ricky_R

The way they presented the guy rolling up the side of the truck might or might not crack/break the glass. Don't think it should've.

i-Lo

Basically what you see here but with higher resolution and more frames per second.

I am pretty sure it will be much more than that. Improved physics, AA, shadows, lighting model etc. With regards to resolution, given that the next gen will not have a resolution mandate of 1080p, we can still expect 720p (yea I know and am not too pleased either). So in lieu of upgraded res. we'll have improved IQ.

(Uncharted franchise) The character models in the cutscenes have way more detail than in gameplay, not even a debate.

ND has these immense high-poly models/faces and environments for those last few pre-rendered screenshots. I can't help but imagine what it would be like if it looked like that while playing.

What kind of hardware would it require to use assets like that in actual real-time gameplay? Would such a thing even be feasible for next-gen in any way? Next-generation high-end PC's?

Nope. Improved AA and shadows are part of the deal when it comes to cinematic. I remember watching (I think it was either a) dev diary (or an) interview where the dev said that they use the same model for both real time gameplay and cinematics.

BD1

Banned
This game looks unbelievable, Naughty Dog deserves a lot of praise. And I can dig that they really want to hit a home run with the story telling and presentation.

I would like to see some actual gameplay though. How is this mother going to play??

jett

D-Member
ND has stated many times that in UC2 and UC3 the exact same models were used in gameplay and cutscenes

Not really, the texture resolution on the models during cut-scenes is much higher, from one of the model artists at ND:

I always work in double the resolution being used, so my work files are usually 2048x¬-4096. The cinematic resolution is about 2048x1024 and the in-game texture measures 512x1024.

http://area.autodesk.com/inhouse/bts/uncharted_3_with_naughty_dog

KageMaru

Yeah I know what you mean, but it almost sounds like there will be a choice to play that way or not. We'll have to wait and see, but I have faith in ND.

Nope. Improved AA and shadows are part of the deal when it comes to cinematic. I remember watching (I think it was either a) dev diary (or an) interview where the dev said that they use the same model for both real time gameplay and cinematics.

Any links for this dev diary or interview? Also, what did they mean when saying "same model"? It could be the same poly count but still have better shaders or texture resolution during the cut-scenes.

Davey Cakes

I really don't get the praise. Just because a game looks good in cutscenes doesn't mean it'll actually be good. What we've seen so far is merely a conceptual sell, nothing more.

Pranay

IGN: So, I hear you've changed Ellie. How? I'm watching this trailer and I don't notice any "Cole"-like V-necks or anything. Why'd you change her?

Neil Druckmann (Creative Director): When we came up with the character of Ellie we put a lot of thought into what we wanted her to look like, researching the facial proportions, coloring and bone structures of dozens of faces and bodies. In addition to this, we held numerous casting sessions to ensure we had the right performance capture artist to represent Ellie, eventually selecting actress Ashley Johnson. As we’re still in the midst of development with The Last of Us, the team has been continuing to put a lot of thought into the creation of Ellie. After delving further into the game’s narrative over the past few months, we decided to modify Ellie’s model to better reflect Ashley’s personality, and also resemble a slightly younger teen more fitting to the story. We're happy with the final result shown in the cinematic we have released today, and hope the fans like her too.

IGN: Now that Game Informer and other sites have peeled back some of the layers to The Last of Us, how do you describe this title to people who don't know about it? What exactly is going on in this world?

Bruce Straley: It’s a game about the human condition. 20 years after a plague has decimated our society, how does man survive? When all moral and ethical codes have been stripped, who do you trust? After watching your friends and loved ones pass, do you think you could still love? What is life without hope? We’re trying to make you feel these dilemmas while you’re playing The Last of Us.

IGN: How's making The Last of Us different from making Uncharted? You can't really go on location for these environments...

Bruce Straley: Actually, you can. We had a rainy day field trip to a hospital that was being torn down. The whole bottom floor was flooded and the power was out. It was so creepy! But yeah, there’s a wealth of stuff out there – just do a quick search on the Internet – where abandoned buildings and ruins have been slowly retaken by nature. It’s been well documented by photographers with an interest in this kind of locale, and there’s a whole genre of photography dedicated to this. It’s really beautiful stuff. The funny thing is, anybody that’s had to deal with a leaky roof has good reference for The Last of Us.

the rest

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/05/15/the-last-of-us-new-trailer-new-ellie

jett

D-Member
Interesting, but that's the difference that you wouldn't be able to see even with camera positioned around during gameplay. I think it would require a very close closeup to become obvious.

Yep, even when you swing the camera around to try to take a look at Drake's gameplay model the difference is virtually imperceptible. The textures in Uncharted 3 really are of extremely high quality during gameplay, so much 720p doesn't do it justice at all.

ND kind of went above and beyond. :p

Pranay

more tidbits from the interview

IGN: Why release this cutscene -- Joel and Ellie taking on some drifters? What about it makes it your showcase?

Neil Druckmann: We wanted to whet people’s appetite before E3. This trailer is a nice little teaser that shows a good look into the world of The Last of Us. It also hints at the layers in Joel and Ellie’s relationship and frames their different perspectives on this world.

Top Bottom