• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 Gameplay

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Dreadful atmosphere and regular horror elements.

It's just that Dark Souls is a much stronger case of Dark Fantasy than The Witcher. Or not, depending on your interpretation.

"Charles L. Grant is often cited as having coined the term "dark fantasy". Grant defined his brand of dark fantasy as "a type of horror story in which humanity is threatened by forces beyond human understanding".[3] He often used dark fantasy as an alternative to horror, as horror was increasingly associated with more visceral works."

That's pretty much the definition of the Wild Hunt as well as the situation with monsters prowling the Earth.

So by that definition something like DnD or World of Warcraft is considered Dark Fantasy? News to me, as i always view those as High Fantasy.

dlauv

So by that definition something like DnD or World of Warcraft is considered Dark Fantasy? News to me, as i always view those as High Fantasy.

No. What horrific and prevailing threats exist in those settings that are beyond comprehension? DnD isn't inherently dismal and oppressive, and WoW certainly isn't either.

Granted, you can make a campaign of DnD a dark fantasy if you'd wanted to. Beyond that, you're correct: those are High Fantasy settings.

Gigglepoo

da fuck when did Tom McShea join RPS?!

I haven't joined RPS, just did a feelance story for them.

Anyway, appreciate that the game is as morally gray as expected and that the characters are more complex even in side quests. I see Tom McShea might be turning down the difficulty like some others would be to just enjoy the story and scenery. Too bad about the fights not being that interesting for him.

I tend to not like combat in WRPG that I otherwise really enjoy (Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, Witcher). It seems as though the only WRPGs that have combat I love as much as the other elements are made in Japan. Irony!

ugoo18

Finally got around to watching the 3gb footage........

obama-sweating-300x170.jpg

Good stuff downgrade or otherwise

Am I crazy are are the tails on the horses bothering anyone else?

The horse tail looked so stiff in comparison to the tail work in Zelda U for example

xvdxzk.gif

witcher3treesqduxm.gif

Still CD Projekt has still got a couple of months to go and i'm confident that they'll take care of that by release.

tbh the gameplay looks very expected from a AAA WRPG similar to DA:I, it looks great and all... but nothing really impresses me. Animations are a bit stiff though.

dlauv

The Old Gods from WoW (there were based from C'thulhu Mythos) fits well with that description
http://wow.gamepedia.com/Old_Gods

I'd have to know more, but these seem like tangible and/or at least (temporarily) surmountable threats with characters and players generally knowing about them, unlike Lovecraft's monsters. Correct me if I'm wrong. Either way, it's probably a dark fantasy element in an otherwise high fantasy game; but having played WoW during the Burning Crusade and this being the first I've heard of these guys, they don't seem to be the prominent threat. There's nothing wrong with genre overlap. To call something a dark fantasy, you would be addressing the bulk of the setting or story's elements. At least that's how I tackle genres. The Witcher is a world constituted by dark fantasy elements, as well as a few of its major plot points of interest.

That's my fear as well. Is there some stuff like that in the Witcher universe?

argonath.jpg

You can already see something like that at the end of the first portion of the video.
The Khaer Trolde fortress at the top of the mountain in the Skellige Islands. An insteresting vista, for sure, but im sure you can even visit it, and thats what makes it interesting.

If you mean giant statues and impossible walls, no. Theres epic architecture, but is grounded in reality.

just got around to watching the whole thing.

animation blending is very janky.

is it me or is the video full of stuttering, framerate drops and tearing? i think i saw that with the last official witcher gameplay vid as well. is it just my phone or my youtube app?

looks great overall, i just don't like it when characters talk standing up a la mass effect. feels so fake and video game-y.

is it me or is the video full of stuttering, framerate drops and tearing? i think i saw that with the last official witcher gameplay vid as well. is it just my phone or my youtube app?

looks great overall, i just don't like it when characters talk standing up a la mass effect. feels so fake and video game-y.

RPGs can't afford to have blocking for every conversation. At least there are close ups.

Holy shit, do you people understand there needs to be limits when making a game? They overpassed certain things that are incredible for a game, but theres always a cost. You need to limit animations when creating a game this big.
Do your really think having cinematic animations for everything is feasible in an open world rpg with hundreds of characters?
GAF is a game forum, but sometimes some people here act like if they thought games were done easily and effortlesly, just like people that know nothing of the game industry. Im not saying things are not open for criticising, but holy hell, some people need to know when they are really criticising, and when that ends and are only spouting nonsense.
Sorry, but as a game dev this makes me mad.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Why does the game look so jittery? Every animation looks like they're stuttering or something.

Exentryk

Holy shit, do you people understand there needs to be limits when making a game? They overpassed certain things that are incredible for a game, but theres always a cost. You need to limit animations when creating a game this big.
Do your really think having cinematic animations for everything is feasible in an open world rpg with hundreds of characters?
GAF is a game forum, but sometimes some people here act like if they thought games were done easily and effortlesly, just like people that know nothing of the game industry. Im not saying things are not open for criticising, but holy hell, some people need to know when they are really criticising, and when that ends and are only spouting nonsense.
Sorry, but as a game dev this makes me mad.

Yeah, as a newcomer to the Witcher series and these threads, seems like 9/10 posts are nitpicking about graphics. And hardly any comments on the combat and other game stuff. The comments also don't take in to account the scale of this game compared to other games.

Personally, this game looks really ambitious with horse riding, swimming, diving, boats, open seamless world with visible monsters of various types (land, airborne, water?, ghosts) etc. And all of these things aren't even the main sell for the game. The main sell for me is the strong narrative and lore. And if the combat system is as fluid as it looks, I can see myself losings hundreds of hours in this game.

I am just glad games like these are being made, and I hope devs don't read all the small graphical nitpicks and think that that is all gamers care about.

Anyway, looking forward to jumping in to the Witcher universe on the PS4.

blakep267

Mostly concerned about their ability to fill out that world with activities worth doing.
No worries. I'm sure great missions like "Get 20 Endrega teeth" will be plentiful

Seriously though, my fear is that it will be like DA:I in fetch quests and mission design and I'm gonna get tired after a few hours

saw the video again, not impressed at all

honestly, xenoblade looks more exciting. my money is on it. I will buy this game once i build a new windows 10 pc next year

No worries. I'm sure great missions like "Get 20 Endrega teeth" will be plentiful

Seriously though, my fear is that it will be like DA:I in fetch quests and mission design and I'm gonna get tired after a few hours

I've already seen some hands-on impressions describing side-quests with choice & consequence. There are monster contracts, investigation missions, monster hunts, larger side quests, side activities and the main quest. In nearly every interview CDProjekt has said that each quest will be unique and interesting, even fetch quests will be compensated by an interesting narrative. No way they will make the same choice BioWare did.

Seems like an odd choice of a game for the media (and enthusiasts) to pull the 'it's just a game' card as a knock.

Going to have to wait to see how the final, ultra setting is, though I doubt it will be anything like that first trailer with Geralt moving his head to look at NPCs without direction, the leaves and seeds blowing through the air...was a little too perfect for a game so far out from release.

I'll have to agree that animation in general still need some fine-tuning.
Geralt's jogging animation is kinda stiff compared to TW2.
Graphics in overall is great, can't wait to actually play it.

It is time for you guys to get paid CD Projeckt. May 19th is too damn far ahead. Guess I'll just have to replay 1 and 2 and read the books.

Portugeezer

So, after seeing the 3GB footage I still believe this game looks amazing. However I do dislike that NPC's seem to lack shadows until you are very close to them, it stands out a lot these days like they are floating. Hopefully this is a setting I can change on PC.

-Deimos

I'll have to agree that animation in general still need some fine-tuning.
Geralt's jogging animation is kinda stiff compared to TW2.
Graphics in overall is great, can't wait to actually play it.

I think it's just the outfit, but the running animation looks terrible in this video. Looks like he has a stick up his ass.

After watching the direct upload b-roll footage, I retract almost everything negative I said about the graphics in the recent past. Game looks outstanding, and this is merely High, not Ultra. YouTube and recent screenshots really don't do this game justice visually.

Only real gripe I have visually is the distant pop-in (which is an issue in pretty much every open-world game I've played). It does hurt immersion a bit. I doubt CDPR can completely fix it but hopefully they can come up with some tricks or something to make it less noticeable. I have a few other tiny nitpicks with graphics that I suspect they are aware of and will fix before release.

Animations also look fine overall, including Geralt's. Not quite top tier, but I wasn't expecting that. They are clearly improved over The Witcher 2.

Combat also looks better than TW2, although I can't tell for sure until I play it. I liked TW2's combat in concept; the problem was that actions and movement weren't very responsive (an issue with the controls in general, just exacerbated in combat), and that hit detection was iffy.

While I prefer Geralt's voice in the first Witcher, I think the VA (of all the characters) in that gameplay footage is solid.

Most of my concerns have been alleviated. Overall, I'm very impressed.

Man watching the 1080p60 video on youtube kinda bums me out about the downgrade. The world feels so static now and the draw distance is really bad (it's my biggest pet peeve in open world games). I've seen more activity in NPCs in Skyrim then in this video, almost all the NPCs stayed in one spot standing there.

I got the game already on preorder so I hope it has a good story and lives up to the books but man its not the game they first showed off.

Looks beautiful art design. The overall package I'm sure will be great, I'm pretty tolerant of popin anyway. Enjoy DA:I on PS4 so expect this to at least be comparable...Can't wait.

Top Bottom