• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New The Witcher 3 Gameplay

fresquito

People are spoiled. Complaining about this level of graphics is moronic. Tell me games that actually look better than this.

Compare the game to those, not to your unrealistic expectations.

Helmholtz

This thread reminds me a lot of early Witcher 2 threads, actually. I remember people were skeptical that TW2 could achieve the graphics they were showing off pre-release, and low and behold, it did. That game looked great before it came out, and it looked equally as great after.
I'm really not worried about this one at all. CDPR has always delivered in the past, and so far I haven't been given a reason to doubt that they'll deliver this time around.

patapuf

This thread reminds me a lot of early Witcher 2 threads, actually. I remember people were skeptical that TW2 could achieve the graphics they were showing off pre-release, and low and behold, it did. That game looked great before it came out, and it looked equally as great after.
I'm really not worried about this one at all. CDPR has always delivered in the past, and so far I haven't been given a reason to doubt that they'll deliver this time around.

Even if the visuals stay as is it'll be among the best looking games out.

I like graphics talk but i think people are loosing perspective a bit.

Just downloaded that video... That level of fidelity is more than I need. I just hope my PC can keep up (at least medium to high). Excited!

martino

Really need to play this (for story / env)
I'm not really a fan of combat system in witcher's games so far (the first one especially is horrible to play imo)

Direct feed footage looks fantastic.
If I had to point something out it would be the lack of prints in the snow. Other than that I'm more than happy.

Nzyme32

You should activate those statistics on youtube. I think the video runs at 30fps actually, only some of those animations inbetween might be 60 fps.

Stats seem to indicate it is. Could be wrong, but I let the same video buffer up a bit and played them at the same time using youtube doubler, there seems to be a fairly noticable difference right at the start (of course you actually have to choose the 60fps option for one video) - http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...e.com/watch?v=BgJUL3nN4iI&start2=&authorName=

So uhm, how should PS4 versione compare to this footage? :/

Apparently pretty well. We have confirmation that it's 1080p and texture quality apparently compares favorably to what we're seeing here. Don't know about the rest but I wouldn't worry too much.

Helmholtz

Really need to play this (for story / env)
I'm not really a fan of combat system in witcher's games so far (the first one especially is horrible to play imo)
The fact that I played through the first two games despite the underwhelming combat is a testament to how engrossing the environments, character, and stories are in my opinion. It's simply one of the most detailed and interesting worlds in gaming.

g23

European pre-madonna
i like how the villages and towns "flow" seamlessly into the environment. In Dragon Age or even Skyrim you would have these static town hubs and everything besides them felt barren and lifeless. Here you have pockets of communities scattered throughout the wilderness as Geralt is journeying across the map, really makes the game feel much more alive and atmospheric.

i-Lo

So how much longer will console players be left in the dark about the game looks and runs on both consoles?

Nzyme32

So uhm, how should PS4 versione compare to this footage? :/

The only comparisons that were a bit specific were from Technobuffalo and the one in the OP of the other thread, Gamestar

Gamestar (google translate)
But see The Witcher 3 on "high" excellent and presents itself on the PC - as expected - anti-aliased, stronger in color sharper textured and with more shaders and gloss effects than on the consoles. Waxed leather armor about not shine light on the PC, on the PS4 and Xbox, however. Moreover, "popping" ground details such as tufts of grass on the consoles just five to seven feet in front of Geralt, while the detailed visual range is easy on the PC twice"

"In the duel console PlayStation 4, meanwhile, has clearly ahead of the graph. Although the textures are a bit more blurred than "high" PC details that falls within the normal TV-distance but hardly noticeable. In addition, the witcher adventure runs on the PS4 in 1080p - but only at 30 frames per second, which did not bother us.

On the Xbox One Geralt goes also with 30 fps on monster hunt, but only in 900p, the textures also seen slightly more washed out than on the PS4. However, polishes CD Projekt own words yet on the Xbox version, maybe you can still screw up to 1080p, but you would not promise anything. Stand now is the PS4 image the sharper and stronger color."

TechnoBuffalo
On the PC side, things ran smooth as butter and everything was beautiful. The powerful PCs running the game allowed for better textures and effects all over the place. Scars have more depth, fires burn like you’d expect.

It seems like there are effects missing between the consoles and PC but there is no knowing how significant a difference they actually make since people will take in the experience differently. I'd wait for more detailed look over the complete game.

erawsd

Man, some of the press opinions about the combat are all over the place. I read one article that says it felt good and its a big step up from Witcher 2, then the very next article I read says the exact opposite; that its clunky and barely different than TW2.

Oh well, even if it was the awful W1 combat I'd play the shit out of it anyway.

Nzyme32

Holy shit@ pop in at 5-7ft.

Wait for the completed game. You can see the PC pop-in quite a bit as well, but they will likely alter the LOD distance and transition to make that a lot less obvious, much like other games such as Ground Zeroes

Can I ask you a question? What do you think about this thread and what could you say to those people who are constantly saying that the graphics in the game are downgraded?

I love the thread!

What can I say? Our artists would slap anyone trying to mess with their pretty work;)

i-Lo

Wait for the completed game. You can see the PC pop-in quite a bit as well, but they will likely alter the LOD distance and transition to make that a lot less obvious, much like other games such as Ground Zeroes

Let's hope so since unlike MGS, DAI didn't mitigate this issue to a point where it became a non-issue (at least for me) with pebbles and stones on the ground.

Also, as aforementioned, the fact that they still don't feel comfortable unveiling both PS4/Xbone footage for internet consumption via direct feed, means that the final result will either be very good or rather underwhelming (from what Gamesradar reported).

Lastly, not to be a jerk but I don't think I am alone in saying that the aforementioned tactics feels very unassuring in light of what ACU pulled (especially for those of us who have the game preordered). I do hope it turns out for the best but it's disappointing atm nonetheless.

Sanctuary

Well, hopefully this doesn't end up suffering the same way as what Oblivion and Skyrim do. They are nice enough to look at while travelling through (if not a bit boring in the areas sparse of wildlife), yet the destinations you end up travelling to--hoping something interesting awaits--usually disappoint.

Just watched the 3gb video. The game looks magnificent, there are no other words.

Ubisoft has done a lot of damage to this industry, and people are now seeing things that don't exist(or are really bery small diferences). Thanks ubisoft, we can't have a thread of any game now without someone spouting the word downgrade from their mouths.

Sanctuary

Just watched the GamesRadar video up to when they comment about the horse. Yeah, it does look silly, but it still seems to move at a more realistic gait than the mounts in DAI for sure.

KooopaKid

Banned
Well, hopefully this doesn't end up suffering the same way as what Oblivion and Skyrim do. They are nice enough to look at while travelling through (if not a bit boring in the areas sparse of wildlife), yet the destinations you end up travelling to--hoping something interesting awaits--usually disappoint.

That's my fear as well. Is there some stuff like that in the Witcher universe?

argonath.jpg

Turkoop

Banned
Watched the gamersyde vid, it looks so amazing, really.
No open world game reach such a level of details and visuals and I'm saying this even though i am a really big GTAV Fanboy
Geralt looks crazy, the trees, landscapes, EVERYTHING.
There were only pop ups which where annoying

I love the thread!

What can I say? Our artists would slap anyone trying to mess with their pretty work;)

it's cool to see one of the dev's in here. my mind is blown by people saying this is a downgrade. where did that even come from? i don't think these videos does any justice vs actually playing it.

i was lucky enough to play it when you guys were in san francisco the other week, and it looks fucking awesome. loved the ipa at that venue btw :)

kiriin

Don't see why people are overly obsessed with graphics. I'm more interested with how they're going handle the ending(s) regarding Geralt and Ciri.

I love the thread!

Hehe. I just want to say generally, good work on the facial hair in cutscenes cause usually it looks terrible in games like a fake paste on job. What does being a lead cinematic artist entail?

Nzyme32

Let's hope so since unlike MGS, DAI didn't mitigate this issue to a point where it became a non-issue (at least for me) with pebbles and stones on the ground.

Also, as aforementioned, the fact that they still don't feel comfortable unveiling both PS4/Xbone footage for internet consumption via direct feed, means that the final result will either be very good or rather underwhelming (from what Gamesradar reported).

Lastly, not to be a jerk but I don't think I am alone in saying that the aforementioned tactics feels very unassuring in light of what ACU pulled (especially for those of us who have the game preordered). I do hope it turns out for the best but it's disappointing atm nonetheless.

But this happens all the time, because generally they want to market what looks slightly better just to persuade the crowd, and generally that will be the PC. It doesn't mean that it is doom and gloom for the console variants. CD Projekt actually turned this around a bit when showing off the Xbox footage a while back at E3, while the others did the usual PC scripted gameplay sequence.

I think ACU took this a whole lot further, as their stuff didn't relate to any version, similar to some of their other efforts. I agree that this shouldn't be a common practice, but we are still yet to see what the finished game performs like when in a completed state for the Witcher 3 on all platforms

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm gonna take my sweet time with this baby, after I upgrade my PC. Just waiting on the new GPU/CPU architectures now...

Sanctuary

That's my fear as well. Is there some stuff like that in the Witcher universe?

argonath.jpg

I'm not sure what your question is. It's not necessarily about the potential an area could have, but how you expect it to be something interesting and it turns out to be just another copy/paste cave or castle that you've already done to death. That seems to be the bane of "open world" games, and I have yet to see one that has more unique dungeon type areas than not. It has to do with assets and development costs of course, but it seems like the bigger a game gets, the less detailed overall it is for the sake of "being bigger".

jett

D-Member
Wish they would release proper 60fps videos instead of these weird 30-to-60fps re-encodes. This is how I can expect the game to look at run on my 280X at least, I guess. :p

RoKKeR

Finally got around to watching this. Looks great, and I'm getting some RDR vibes which makes me excited.

Hope it looks respectable on XBO.

I could care less about a supposed downgrade. Sick of the controversy of the natural progression of development where things just sometimes have to be curtailed a bit. What I care more about is that this game delivers as an experience, and Witcher as an Western action RPG game has yet to be topped for me (both 1 and 2). The game looks fantastic still, and I just can't wait much longer!

KooopaKid

Banned
I'm not sure what your question is. It's not necessarily about the potential an area could have, but how you expect it to be something interesting and it turns out to be just another copy/paste cave or castle that you've already done to death. That seems to be the bane of "open world" games, and I have yet to see one that has more unique dungeon type areas than not.

I meant impressive architecture, Wonders, if you like. Or original landscapes. The setting seems very realistic and "Switzerland" looking. More GOT than LOTR apparently. But even GOT has the Wall and King's Landing.
I love the part on top of the mountain and by the cliff over the sea.

Top Bottom