• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New trailer and Info on GT Sports coming in May 19

Yiazmat

The sound will be a disappointment. I gave up on that years ago and you guys should too.

It's all about the graphics now.

5JCDE4E.gif

The sound will be a disappointment. I gave up on that years ago and you guys should too.

It's all about the graphics now.

Same. I'm sure after GT5 had the shitty sounds we were promised that we'd see them improved in GT6. When that didn't happen we were told there'd be a big audio update DLC, but then that was withheld for a supposed PS4 GT6. Now it's coming "in GT7".

Polyphony is the king of "not now but next time" and it never seems to actually happen. I've given up on sounds completely and now I'm just hoping for an actual locked framerate because they've actually done that before.

Is GT Sport the same Type as Forza Apex or a full GT game?

Unfortunately not like Apex, it's still just console exclusive.

The sound mixing should be much improved - they hired a Forza audio veteran for this game.
The real question for me is how good looking it will be considering it will run at 60fps. Excited!

DavidDesu

Can we expect perhaps an open Beta available to play relatively soon then?

I'm very anxious to see what this game is. I think we all need to keep our expectations in check. this isn't GT7. From how they initially announced it it seems like some new off-shoot from the mainline games, ones relating far more to real life racing and rules and with some more stuff in the vein of the GT Academy stuff probably a lot of crossover competitions.

For me I hope this means far more in game events that mirror real life racing series'. GT always felt quite odd in how it worked as a "simulator" game yet there was such a weird mish-mash of races and cars and it didn't really even try to offer proper racing classes as we know them. Enough of the bloody Clubman Cup in a Mitsubishi Fido or whatever the fuck clown cars they forced you to race in dull race after dull race.

Hopefully GT Sport gets to the meat and bones of racing and being a simulator, albeit one that is approachable to the masses and with a production value that is second to none. I've been very disappointed with Project Cars on PS4. Looks very average and just feels very barebones in presentation. Great racing but it has no soul. At least GT has some personality of it's own. With the news of Driveclub UI designer on board, new audio engineers hired to urgently sort the sound out etc, I have hope they're on the right track. Combine the great driving and presentation of GT of old, with the modern touches and refinements it needs, and I'll be very happy.

Plus: PSVR! That cannot be stated enough. Holy moly we could be playing GT in VR by Christmas. Think of that!

(If this game ends up still not coming out this year I will be appalled, they've had long enough by now to put together a PS4 GT game, this isn't the PS3's esoteric architecture anymore, get a grip PD...! ;)

DavidDesu

I'm expecting a Beta is available to play now/tonight type announcement at the Sony E3 conference if they don't announce a date on May 19th.

Being a GT fan means I've conditioned myself to waiting, like a Monk waiting to find enlightenment.

I do hope you're right though. Surely, SURELY they will not make this big song and dance 2 day announcement event just to tell us the game is coming Xmas 2017. That would be cruel.

Hell, just to be crazy, maybe the game's coming out in a month or something! ;)

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
It will be interesting to see if Polyphony have improved GT in any meaningful way, about time they take a leap forward beyond car model eye candy.
Agreed. Don't think I'll even bother if they haven't made strides in their most obvious shortcomings.

For me I hope this means far more in game events that mirror real life racing series'. GT always felt quite odd in how it worked as a "simulator" game yet there was such a weird mish-mash of races and cars and it didn't really even try to offer proper racing classes as we know them. Enough of the bloody Clubman Cup in a Mitsubishi Fido or whatever the fuck clown cars they forced you to race in dull race after dull race.

Thinking of it now I agree with this too. Every thing is a mismatch of relatively similar performance cars whether or not they match in era or certain abilities. I think that everything seems to be based a bit too strongly on PP values instead of actual balanced racing, mainly in the seasonal events in GT5 and 6. An event will advertise itself as a "racing" event but then have a fake Zonda race car up against a Chaparral 2D and a Subaru WRC car. There's no consistency to be had in it.

To compare it to Forza I think this is where I enjoyed Forza 6 over the previous entries. Free Play still has issues with having hypercars vs. race cars and so on, but the career events have a much clearer focus than before, with stuff like touring car-only events, 1980s grand touring races, older endurance cars, and so on. The previous entries were simply "does your PI match the event? good to go!" and it's much better how it is now. It's very obvious that they've paid actual attention to the "Motorsport" in Forza Motorsport (lack of championships/points aside that is).

I think if GT followed this route there would be much more longevity in it because I get to race real events and have some semblance of balance and realism to it. Right now we wait a few years (and a few thousand delays) and I'll play it for a month or two because there's no real focus, whereas with other titles I'll play it constantly until the next one comes out.

Not sure if it was mentioned here, but a moderator in the GT forum teased other platforms, probably PSVR?

That was a joke by the mod. It was brought on by another poster joking that it'd been moved to the Xbox.

There's also going to be a Q&A session with Kaz on the 20th

Join us from 2pm for food (provided by PlayStation) and a welcome by PolyPhony Digital.
A chance to get up close and view some of the incredible GT Vision cars.
Get the first ever public hands-on with GT SPORT.
Take part in GT SPORT mini competitions.
Ask your questions about GT SPORT directly to PolyPhony Digital President Kazunori Yamauchi with a special Community Q&A session.
Enjoy an evening party with PolyPhony Digital and the GT Community with food and drink provided by PlayStation and PolyPhony.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/gt-sport-community-event-tickets-25345600373

Same. I'm sure after GT5 had the shitty sounds we were promised that we'd see them improved in GT6. When that didn't happen we were told there'd be a big audio update DLC, but then that was withheld for a supposed PS4 GT6. Now it's coming "in GT7".

Polyphony is the king of "not now but next time" and it never seems to actually happen. I've given up on sounds completely and now I'm just hoping for an actual locked framerate because they've actually done that before.

So what you're saying..Forza delivers every single time, I agree.

This time around though, I believe, well I think we all should believe Sport will be a complete package with all the new bells and whistles.

PD are masters at trailers.
The "Night Racing" trailer was awesome too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfyonN7WC4M

Even the trailers that we aren't supposed to see are really good. Remember the leaked that polyphony made just for Red Bull?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLeau0uwGLY

And since they're calling this the GTS unveiling, hopefully this mean that we'll finally start getting more car unveiling trailers. There have been a number of cars unveiled since GTS was announced and we haven't seen any GT trailers for them. But the ones they've produced in the past are so good

NSX Concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMXbJyDI3Rw

FT-86II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd6s_qz2kw4

458 Italia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETKgRYUMkc

saladine1

Better sound/audio effects/recording/sampling and better tree rendering.

It seems they finally gotten the trees fixed. Yes, GT trees were out of place and were a pet peeve of mine.

Also, a bloody driveline/transmission model to tie off the sounds with.

My God, if PD can get the sounds right plus a proper driveline/trans flex simulation model, I'll be in heaven.

Raceroom Trans Model

Niks

since they're calling this the GTS unveiling, hopefully this mean that we'll finally start getting more car unveiling trailers. There have been a number of cars unveiled since GTS was announced and we haven't seen any GT trailers for them. But the ones they've produced in the past are so good

I wonder how many new cars could they have modeled since GT6 release? 40+?

kyser73

Being a GT fan means I've conditioned myself to waiting, like a Monk waiting to find enlightenment.

I do hope you're right though. Surely, SURELY they will not make this big song and dance 2 day announcement event just to tell us the game is coming Xmas 2017. That would be cruel.

Hell, just to be crazy, maybe the game's coming out in a month or something! ;)

Hey Dave....Dave...

Over in the GTS reveal thread there are links to a German website that has GTS full release on 26/10/2016.

There's a date I think you'll be familiar with ;)

I wonder how many new cars could they have modeled since GT6 release? 40+?

I'd think a lot more than that. GT6 is over two years old now and they have a good chunk of the studio dedicated to building cars. And with any luck their tools have improved enough over time to cut down on the amount of time needed to build cars. Then there's the outside chance that they've started outsourcing which would substantially change the number of cars that could be built in this period.

I guess the big question as far as cars go will be whether GT will finally get Porsche? EA's exclusivity was rumored to end this year.

I have a feeling this game won't review well.

This is such a bizarre post given that we know practically nothing about the game.

I guess the big question as far as cars go will be whether GT will finally get Porsche? EA's exclusivity was rumored to end this year.

Pretty sure EA just keeps renewing it. There was a rumour going around that, in 2000 for NFS: Porsche Unleashed, they acquired a 15-year exclusive period and that it would be ending in 2015. I've also heard it a couple of times around 2011 and 2013 I think, but none have ended up changing anything.

Vex_

Banned
The only thing I'm looking out for this time around is customizable vehicles. It's about time polyphony does it.

SliChillax

The only thing I'm looking out for this time around is customizable vehicles. It's about time polyphony does it.

That would be too much work and they would need to license different body kits. Unless you're talking about livery editor.

What I want to see is to be able to choose different interior trims and colors, as well as different manufacturer (not aftermarket) wheel choices. Only game that I know that did that was Test Drive Unlimited.

pixelation

Kazunori has already said that in his view presence of older cars does not hurt the game because the team is focused on new stuff and old cars are there for fans who want to drive them.

I don't mind them also.

Well keep them locked in the attic... i don't want them as prizes!!!

Pretty sure EA just keeps renewing it. There was a rumour going around that, in 2000 for NFS: Porsche Unleashed, they acquired a 15-year exclusive period and that it would be ending in 2015. I've also heard it a couple of times around 2011 and 2013 I think, but none have ended up changing anything.

It was going to expire around the time that GT5P released. Kaz did an interview around that time where he mentioned that they were currently in talks with Porsche about including their cars in GT5 since EA's exclusive license was about to expire (he didn't specifically mention EA, but instead just mentioned the exclusivity period was coming to an end). He was interviewed around a year or so later and said that was no longer possible because the deal had been renewed.

I really don't get why EA keeps renewing it. It's not as if Porsche is some big draw for their games. And they really don't even include a ton of their cars in each game. NFS 2015 had more Nissan's and Rivals had more Ferrari's and Lambo's. So what's the point?

I hadn't heard that GT Sport was nothing but Premiums, but that's fantastic news. Whether or not your racing game is going to have shitty car models from two generations ago shouldn't even be a consideration. I want those cars, but either rebuild them as full Premiums or dump that shit.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for GT Sport, but at this point it really wouldn't take much to get me on board. I just want to see a totally locked 1080p60 and grid starts for every race. No more of this rolling start bullshit, no more trying to push a resolution that the console can't handle. Nail the basics, then let Kaz do whatever silly things he wants on top of that.

Even the trailers that we aren't supposed to see are really good. Remember the leaked that polyphony made just for Red Bull?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLeau0uwGLY

And since they're calling this the GTS unveiling, hopefully this mean that we'll finally start getting more car unveiling trailers. There have been a number of cars unveiled since GTS was announced and we haven't seen any GT trailers for them. But the ones they've produced in the past are so good

NSX Concept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMXbJyDI3Rw

FT-86II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd6s_qz2kw4

458 Italia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ETKgRYUMkc

That 458 trailer......simply amazing.

Loudninja

Seems like a big event

Gran Turismo Sport Community Event May 20th: Reserve Your Tickets Now
As you may have heard by now, Gran Turismo Sport will be fully unveiled at a massive media event taking place in London on Thursday, May 19th. The second day of the event, on May 20th, will be open to limited members of the public – and the GTPlanet community!

I am very excited to announce PlayStation and Polyphony Digital have made 50 pairs of complimentary tickets available to UK-based GTPlanet members for the hands-on event, taking place at the Copper Box Arena in London’s Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

Copper Box ArenaDates & Times

Friday, May 20th, 2016
Start Time: 14:00
End Time: 21:00

What To Expect

• Street food served from 2pm.
  • Get up close to a collection of full-size and scale models of the incredible Vision GT cars as well as some stunning race cars.
  • Take a thrilling ride in a range of real sport cars.
  • Be among the first in the world to play exclusive GT Sport code.
  • Take part in GT Sport mini competitions.
  • Ask questions about GT SPORT directly to Polyphony Digital President Kazunori Yamauchi during a special Q&A session.
  • Enjoy an evening party with the Polyphony Digital team and the GT community, including GTPlanet administrators and staff.
https://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-sport-community-event-may-20th-reserve-your-tickets-now/

Ask questions about GT SPORT directly to Polyphony Digital President Kazunori Yamauchi during a special Q&A session.

Whoever goes to this event dont forget to ask about bikes, Isle of Man and what the future holds for the Senna mode.

I want dem McLaren F1 cars in my GT.

I hadn't heard that GT Sport was nothing but Premiums, but that's fantastic news. Whether or not your racing game is going to have shitty car models from two generations ago shouldn't even be a consideration. I want those cars, but either rebuild them as full Premiums or dump that shit.

I'm not going to get my hopes up for GT Sport, but at this point it really wouldn't take much to get me on board. I just want to see a totally locked 1080p60 and grid starts for every race. No more of this rolling start bullshit, no more trying to push a resolution that the console can't handle. Nail the basics, then let Kaz do whatever silly things he wants on top of that.

I get the feeling that we're never going to see standards in the series again. It really does seem like they're listening to the community this time around. Even going so far as to host an event specifically to allow that community to play the newest entry before journalists. We also know they've made hirings specifically to address heavily criticized aspects of the series (sound and UI). And the community seems to hate the standard/premium split. It might not be a majority, but it's certainly the most vocal individuals. And it's weighed down review scores as well. I'm on the side of the fence that isn't bothered by them. I don't buy them in the series or drive them, but it's obviously a very divisive issue. So for better or worse, GT6 was probably the end of the road for them.

It was going to expire around the time that GT5P released. Kaz did an interview around that time where he mentioned that they were currently in talks with Porsche about including their cars in GT5 since EA's exclusive license was about to expire (he didn't specifically mention EA, but instead just mentioned the exclusivity period was coming to an end). He was interviewed around a year or so later and said that was no longer possible because the deal had been renewed.

I really don't get why EA keeps renewing it. It's not as if Porsche is some big draw for their games. And they really don't even include a ton of their cars in each game. NFS 2015 had more Nissan's and Rivals had more Ferrari's and Lambo's. So what's the point?

I wonder if maybe EA gets more money from Turn 10's sublicencing of Porsche than they do from their own games that contain them. Would make sense because they know they can just keep renewing it for free money because it's in high demand in Forza.

Top Bottom