• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen consoles have reached CGI rendering in real time ?

Toxa

well current CGI video games are way above but if we compare some CGI from the last gen such as

Tekken TT intro on PS2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0THUTX2lXps

with

unch.gif

or

iDPRMQPNEQf7d.gif

or

I said yes, at last . IMO ND or RAD games tops easily the tekken intro in real time
but I agree some square soft CGI from last decade are way better

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
I agree, except for Anti Aliasing. Get rid of all shimmering, jaggies, etc. and then it'll look absolutely like mid 2000s CGI.

DryvBy

Uncharted looks basically Blizzard-level CGI. I love the mix of realism with CGI cartoony look.

Skilletor

One of those things is not like the other. Should've used Ryse.

Not quite there yet, but close. I'll believe Uncharted looks that good when I'm playing it.

Espada

Better than that TTT CG intro? Definitely. Better than CG from folks like Visualworks, Axis, Pixar? No way in hell.

That said, real time footage only needs to provide a visual approximation that apes the insane fidelity of footage produced by renderfarms. Personally, I think it's pretty damn cool that the stuff we dreamed about years ago (gameplay that looks like CG) is right around the corner.

meptrep

Not really. Maybe if you compare it to much older CGI, but no. That statement is a bit ridiculous, not to mention actual CGI is rendered at a much higher res than modern consoles can do.

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking if current technology has matched or surpassed CG that we saw back around the 2nd wave of 3D consoles (PS2/DC/XB/GC), and based on the Tekken example, I'd say even at the end of last generation we have.

RetroStu

Banned
I think the Uncharted trailer looks like cgi, in fact i honestly thought it was until we had confirmation of it being real time. The only thing about it though is that will the gameplay look like that or was that scene a cutscene?.
I bet we are still a bit away from gameplay looking as good as that.
As for The Order and UFC, no.

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!
Uncharted spawning record numbers of threads lol.

While I think the Order and UFC look very good, Uc4 is just stupidly ahead of them (based on the teaser.) Even the sorcerer doesn't look as good.

Gurish

I can't believe people actually buying that Uncharted is real time thing, it's not how gameplay will look, so no, we are not in CGI stage if we are basing it on Uncharted.

The Order looks great and I think its getting close sometimes to CGI territory.

UFC is not even close, i think it looks pretty average for a fighter with 2 models on stage, I don't think the order models for example look worse.

So, i think with Uncharted we don't know at this stage because it's not in game graphics so we can't base nothing on this teaser, UFC is not even close, And The Order is the closest we have ever been.

velociraptor

Uncharted 4 is the only game which comes close.

The Order looks CGish I guess.

But it seems like CGI is also improving - the Halo trailer looked BONKERS.

jaypah

When everything is happening in the QD demo it's probably the most impressive shit I've ever seen real-time. Sure, single room, tech demo, whatever it looks incredible.

Toxa

I'm pretty sure the OP is asking if current technology has matched or surpassed CG that we saw back around the 2nd wave of 3D consoles (PS2/DC/XB/GC), and based on the Tekken example, I'd say even at the end of last generation we have.

exactly my thought

I think the Uncharted trailer looks like cgi, in fact i honestly thought it was until we had confirmation of it being real time. The only thing about it though is that will the gameplay look like that or was that scene a cutscene?.
I bet we are still a bit away from gameplay looking as good as that.
As for The Order and UFC, no.

They are aiming for seamless cut scene to game-play transition. I wouldn't put it past ND to be able to accomplish it either. If there is one dev studio with the capability it is them.

Spongebob

Banned
UFC doesn't even look remotely as good. It doesn't belong in the OP. In all honesty I think it looks like shit considering how closed-off the environments are, and the 900p rendering resolution.

Also, that's not the best choice of gif for The Order: 1886.

schlynch

No, not even close. Shading and lighting is still far off from rendered material. Not to mention all the physical things which still require a lot of calculation.

Animation and character model-wise yeah, well at least compared to that Tekken TT CGI because that looks really poor now. In comparison with more modern CGI we still have a long way to go.

jmdajr

I'm gonna say yes. Some of these games look better than CG animated movies released in theaters. Sure maybe B movies, but it's there.

Only real issue is aliasing/textures..that type of stuff.

RetroStu

Banned
I think The Order cut scenes do look a bit like older cgi, like cgi you would often get on Xbox/Ps2 era games. I include Ryse in that as well which has similar style graphics to The Order.

Top Bottom