• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

Driveclub depends on its blur and it's weather to cover up its flaws.
It obviously looks better in motion.. but it has it's problems.

Every game has it's problems if you judge it from some screenshots.

vlcsnap-2017-06-18-18btucw.png

vlcsnap-2017-06-18-18ezuqd.png

Afrikan

Do you actually think this is a reasonable response?

Usually not (and I should've left out the cussing, my apologies), but when experiencing Trump BSing his way into the f'n White House... STILL BSing now, with others BSing for him. Right in front of the whole world.

Well when I see something that is Straight BS, not an opinion..but tried to be stated as fact..even in this case.

Especially after all those years in Driveclub threads with unnecessary trolling. (Not talking about valid complaints)

Yeah, that would bring that reaction....if he wants to use the words "completely fails"...I'm curious to know what is his experience, to be such an expert.

Afrikan

How is this kind of behavior even tolerated here?

But yeah, Driveclub is far from looking like crap.

That's his own words? Besides some misspellings.

Didn't realise I logged in to Gamefaqs. Jesus.

Didn't realise it earlier?

"Completely fails" "muddly looking crap"

All the sudden folks want to be civil.

I guess that is the definition of trolling. Saying something untrue, getting a reaction from it. Well it worked that time.

Anyway moving on.

Tripolygon

Banned
It obviously looks better in motion..
but it has it's problems. [IG]http://sidescrollers.net/Smileys/SW/manny.png[/IMG]
And we have finally reached that point where the overused DC screenshot is posted to show how terrible it looks. Yea i saw this bloody screenshot coming from a mile away. Seriously it is literally the same screenshot from ages ago. And it is not the least bit surprising that it is coming from you, i mean i'm surprised you didn't post this one, or the other one that is equally terrible.
I mean its not like there are tons of screenshots from other racing games that look equally terrible.

Sebmugi

This thread is really funny ;)

For my part, I am disappointed not to have to attend the presentation of the new IP of the evolution studio .
This is probably for the next E3 on xbobx X and on pro .. I look forward <3

That's like the ugliest screenshot I've ever seen from DC, lol.

But yeah, people posting gifs to show how much better a game looks, specially replay gifs, makes zero sense to me. In fact this whole thread makes zero sense to me since it has has turned into a fanboy war instead of highlighting what a given game does great.

That is kinda the point of the thread. To divert these sort of conversations away from game specific threads that usually end up in squabbling.

cooldawn

What on earth are you talking about?

'Made for PC' has no influence on the lighting model. Have you forgotten that these consoles ARE PCs?

And I'm sorry - the lighting isn't 'organic' enough? It's realistic as hell and uses full HDR, and it isn't baked. You want a warmer color space I suggest you toggle the setting on your TV.

They demonstrated dynamic weather and lighting in the forza demo two days ago.

Like honestly, your post has so much wrong I'm seriously wondering if you replied to the right thread.
You obviously misunderstand but that's OK. I was merely implying a game built from the ground up on and for PC (also for XBOX ONE X) should mean a feature rich version of the game.

I don't recall saying the lighting model is platform dependant. It is, however, developer dependant and Forza has never had the better lighting solution. It's not a technology thing, it's a Turn 10 thing. PD are way ahead of them. Always been that way.

I also implied, on both counts, even with improved technology both studios are falling short of the mark when it comes to dynamics. Lets not forget we'll have the two most powerful consoles on the market. On that basis are you actually confirming fully dynamic time of day and weather for Forza Motorsport 7? Please confirm this because I can't see any video or read any quote that says as much. Please, do tell.

What has my TV got to do with anything, or is that something you threw in there to shift the discussion?

Not across the board, unless you have tunnel vision. pCARS 2 is pushing the envelope again on dynamics, adding seasonal changes and Live Track 3.0 to a full 24hr time cycle and variable weather.
I was specifically talking in context of first party i.e. Turn 10 and Polyphony Digital. The two big hitters with the budget and time to do what they want. It's a poor showing from both of them, frankly. Full dynamics is more important than a livery editor, it's better than a mod feature, it's better than most other features in a game that's trying to mimic the dynamic nature of motorsport. It's should be in. No compromises. No excuses.

Sterile, inorganic, cold, angular, place-less PC graphics.
Again, it's not platform dependant. Use some context, please. It's built in to my post.

Gestault

From GT planet

GTS vs Real

uyvK38y.jpg

They're getting the raceday feel down really well. I think the early reveals with more sparse tracksides spooked a lot of people (myself included).

It's not specific to GTS, but man, I love how you can see the undulation of the road surface further in the background. People often think of the roadway as either being flat or hills.

fresquito

That is kinda the point of the thread. To divert these sort of conversations away from game specific threads that usually end up in squabbling.
That's a lame point then. The point should be highlighting and trying to explain why A game has better X over B game. Posting GIFs as proof of anything and making empty claims is moronic and time consuming for everybody.

Gestault

That's a lame point then. The point should be highlighting and trying to explain why A game has better X over B game. Posting GIFs as proof of anything and making empty claims is moronic and time consuming for everybody.

You'll find a lot of both; most are posts from well-meaning people highlighting/picking apart effects and scenes, other names you'll see pop up with some regularity are a little more predictable.

Niks

Ah yes, this thread claims yet another victim!

On topic, both Forza and GT are looking incredible. Not too sure about PC2 tho..

commedieu

Banned
Sweet christ. Gts looks photo real. Very nice lighting and effects. Even the cockpit views are solid.

Seems like they learned a lot from the drive club crew. Forza7.. was expecting a bit more. It looks like a very clean rendered scene. But not photo real. This was the same with previous Forza titles as well. 4k aside. It's art direction.

LostDonkey

I've only seen a couple of YouTube trailers of Project Cars 2. The first one was impressive, I think it was the initial reveal and then the other one not so with a Ferrari i think.

Would like to see some good footage or gifs if anyone has any.

dr guildo

It obviously looks better in motion..
but it has it's problems.
manny.png

Yeah, indeed, DC is ugly@ClearSky, thanksfully DC2 fixed that, it looks way better, just see by yourself, :

Other here and here

Ok, IQ is not crystal clean, but there are more areas where DC shines than where it flaws...

From GT planet

GTS vs Real

uyvK38y.jpg

I have been in a LOT of GT threads. I have seen the claim that you can't tell the difference before but this is the first time I've actually had trouble. I still think the in game visuals in the beta are really lacking - mainly in the environments - and are way behind where they should be, but this is pretty remarkable.

Gestault

shocking ! not really.

GT car models and lightning are unmatched, so it doesn't surprise me at all that GT looks better than FH.

I think using a photo travel for one background is probably a sign of the motivations for the comparison. I'm not dimissing anything about the car modelling (which is an obvious strength of GTS), but considering in some ways it would have been less work to match the car on-track for both, I raise an eyebrow.

Sebmugi

shocking ! not really.

GT car models and lightning are unmatched, so it doesn't surprise me at all that GT looks better than FH.

Yes it is necessary to concentrate on the car not on the rest because these blows come from the scape mode,Finally, on the shots of the close-up one does not know too .. but it is easy to imagine that it is the same 3D model
yep The devil is in the details... :p This and the rendering of the materials and has this little game there PD is the master .. but forza is not very far, and even behind as all the games of the competition also ..

Sebmugi

I have been in a LOT of GT threads. I have seen the claim that you can't tell the difference before but this is the first time I've actually had trouble. I still think the in game visuals in the beta are really lacking - mainly in the environments - and are way behind where they should be, but this is pretty remarkable.

I also hesitated a few seconds to find the right real picture ...
The beta version of the game oscillates between the very good and the terrible stage ... what should in the final game is not quite a decree at the same level depending on the places and in any case not at the level of the Car..
I think the vegetation and the big mountains are the worst of GT sport, it is not at the level of the rest of the game ..

Sebmugi

Dude. One is on track in an open-world game, the other is a dedicated model in a dedicated photo mode. I love both games but come on. Hardly a like-for-like comparison.

(The photo of forza maybe comes from the mode "forza vista" I do not know I am not the author of comparative)
We know that the cars in the forza rolls in the 2 games FH and FM so it's a model "forza" after yes I agree,but it's an illustration that make the ad for 2 games
We will do the match with forza 7 and GT sport ingame ;)

commedieu

Banned
Yeah, indeed, DC is ugly, thanksfully DC2 fixed that, it looks way better, just see by yourself, :

Other here and here

Ok, IQ is not crystal clean, but there are more area where DC shines than where it flaws...

Clay.

Clay.

And more clay! Next!!!

/s

More gifs of games I no longer have time to play due to newborn baby.

Pls.

Gestault

(The photo of forza maybe comes from the mode "forza vista" I do not know I am not the author of comparative)
We know that the cars in the forza rolls in the 2 games FH and FM so it's a model "forza" after yes I agree,but it's an illustration that make the ad for 2 games
We will do the match with forza 7 and GT sport ingame ;)

Those aren't Forzavista shots.

l2ounD

There are not that many tracks in the beta, what environments are you thinking look way behind? Dragontrail is probably the roughest looking around the edges but the other tracks that can be compared to other games I dont think are behind at all. More ahead if anything.

eso76

Driveclub can look ridiculous still, at least in tiny pics on my mobile.
When I fire up the game on my TV it..just doesn't work as well, I guess it's only a matter of IQ.

Utter shame what happened to Evolution, can't imagine what these guys could have achieved on a ps4pro.

We live in a weird world where this is considered an ugly game.

Good god, I dunno if I've just never played in the right conditions on Australia, but the textures in that last shot look absolutely amazing and I've never seen them in-game myself yet.

DD

And the body suspension in motion looks effing rad.

Yep! The R5s moves like Jagger.

Good god, I dunno if I've just never played in the right conditions on Australia, but the textures in that last shot look absolutely amazing and I've never seen them in-game myself yet.

That one was on sunset with a wet track and no rain.

I just did a wet track without rain race in Australia, but at dusk, and I felt tempted to make some gifs:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It's amazing the infinite number of things this game does, like many diverse weather conditions and times of day, so many combinations, with every single track being unique because of the track generator. I know it's not the most advanced looking game out there, but f*ck the graphics (which aren't bad), what matters is that the game is bloody brilliant.

That one was on sunset with a wet track and no rain.

Thanks, but which weather do you set it to to get wet with no rain? If I put rain with showers or heavy rain with showers (which I thought implied it'd stop), I get an overcast sky and the road isn't really as wet, whereas your shot had a nice sunny sunset.

JP

I think Forza 7 looks absolutely beautiful.

I think although there is more "stuff" happening on the screen in terms of effects, post processing, lighting, etc I still think that quality of what's happening in GTS just edges what Forza 7 is doing. There's just something about the graphics that still feel better even though the PS4 clearly isn't doing as much work as is happening in Forza 7.

I am very happy with both though.

DD

giphy.gif

Thanks, but which weather do you set it to to get wet with no rain? If I put rain with showers or heavy rain with showers (which I thought implied it'd stop), I get an overcast sky and the road isn't really as wet, whereas your shot had a nice sunny sunset.

Man, now you got me. I tried some configurations with rain showers on sunset, but no dice. I think this was on the career mode, probably on the "Pre-'80s Power" event on the Historic Rally career, but I'm not so sure. It would also depend on what window you'll fall on the running order, since, depending on your starting time, you might get a different weather pattern.

Grassy

So Project Cars 2 on 22nd September, Forza 7 the 28th September(early access), GT Sport in October maybe?...stacked.

Every game has it's problems if you judge it from some screenshots.

I know this thread is beyond fucking stupid, but trying to make this point with bad screencaps of the worst parts of a Youtube video is a pretty stellar effort.

Top Bottom