• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

4K? Sorry for asking but I do not understand. It was not QHD +.

I play the beta of GTS on a 4K TV and although it looks clean and slick, it also looks flat and sterile. At least for me. It is not a game that impresses me visually, although in other things. Replay looks great, driving feels good and the physics of the wheels are very real.

Yeah, but the lighting still tops Forza 7.

Watch Forza 7 in a 4k, HDR TV and then come back.

Think I'll go watch either GT:S or DRIVECLUB (on a 1080p) screen and they both do lighting and realism better.

Forza looks great but I think it's pretty much agreed that Polyphony are leagues ahead in lighting and DRIVECLUB wasn't far behind.

Also don't forget that GT:S will be allowing for up to 10,000 NITS unsure what F7 will be capped at.

Amazing, too beautiful

FqqQQRz.gif

Nice....T10 and Playground Games are amazing devs., since they share the same engine I can't even begin to imagine how good FH4 will be.

Driveclubs weather effects look ok for 30fps. Forza 7's look great for 60fps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Turn10 say they're hitting 4k/60 on the XoX with more power to spare? So what's this talk of 60fps racer and 30fps racer when it comes to FM7 on the XoX?

No they look bonkers and unrivaled on any machine so far, regardless of framerate, Even PC's with so much more power than the PS4 cannot match them, surely all that untapped power should enable games to surpass DC on the weather front?

Also given that Evolution said that the game was running well above 30 but locked for stability, lets just imagine if the Pro could push those weather effects at 60? (we'll never know thanks to Sony) Would F7 still be considered great in comparison?

drotahorror

No they look bonkers and unrivaled on any machine so far, regardless of framerate, Even PC's with so much more power than the PS4 cannot match them, surely all that untapped power should enable games to surpass DC on the weather front?

Lemme say that I think DC is still the best looking racing game ever made (and one of my favorites).

That being said, it's kind of stupid to type that. What developer has even bothered to put that much effort into the weather for a PC game? None. Do you seriously think a PC couldn't produce DC like graphics and weather? And not all developers have the same talent. Evolution Studios was a very talented group and I don't think anyone will touch their weather effects for quite a long time unless it's ex-Evo employees at Codemasters.

Hoo-doo

Banned

This is such a weird comment. Which one do you think looks better?

Framerate doesn't negate the fact that the lighting and weather of DC is still unmatched. And otherwise, we could also take into account that Driveclub is running on a 1.8TFLOP system compared to a 6TFLOP system for Forza 7. I think it only reinforces how much talent was poured into that title.

This is a staggering difference.
No-one comes close to Polyphony when it comes to replays.

Lemme say that I think DC is still the best looking racing game ever made (and one of my favorites).

That being said, it's kind of stupid to type that. What developer has even bothered to put that much effort into the weather for a PC game? None. Do you seriously think a PC couldn't produce DC like graphics and weather? And not all developers have the same talent. Evolution Studios was a very talented group and I don't think anyone will touch their weather effects for quite a long time unless it's ex-Evo employees at Codemasters.

Oh I agree, but it's just as stupid a comment when saying they only look OK for 30fps. They look stunning regardless.

c0de

Of course it can be done, the PS4 is not a powerhorse and never was. It's a question of priorities and dedication to spend enough time on something like weather like Evolution did. This has nothing to do with power.

MilkyJoe

Framerate doesn't negate the fact that the lighting and weather of DC is still unmatched. And otherwise, we could also take into account that Driveclub is running on a 1.8TFLOP system compared to a 6TFLOP system for Forza 7. I think it only reinforces how much talent was poured into that title.

you could take that into account if DC was running at 4K/60.

F7 lighting is great, as are the weather effects.

FluidDismalBat.gif

for comparrison

1nexEW9.gif

edit weather as a whole here, rain and lightning/storm effects, because feelings.

Aceofspades

Banned

FluidDismalBat.gif

for comparrison

1nexEW9.gif

How come you didn't use similar camera angel for DC? You used the zoomed in dashboard cam to minimize weather effects look.

C'mon man..not cool

c0de

How come you didn't use similar camera angel for DC? You used the zoomed in dashboard cam to minimize weather effects look.

C'mon man..not cool

Wait, people use different settings for different games to make games look better or worse than other games in this thread? That's unheard-of!

Wait, people use different settings for different games to make games look better or worse than other games in this thread? That's unheard-of!

You could also point out that F7 is storm conditions and DC looks more to be light rain. There are worse conditions that are available to show.

giphy.gif

MilkyJoe

C'mon man..not cool

Oh OK, I'll just go to the future, buy an X1 and a copy of Forza 7 and a compatible capture card, then buy a PS4 and a copy of DC and a compatible capture card, then I will set up identical race conditions with identical camera positioning and make some gifs for you, travel back in time and post them. Or I can just do an internet search for "forza 7/drive club lightning. "

MilkyJoe

You could also point out that F7 is storm conditions and DC looks more to be light rain. There are worse conditions that are available to show.

I was actually pointing out the lightning which is a far superior effect on F7.

Also it's nowhere near raning heavily enough to cause that much water on the windscreen in that gif

Gwyn

C'mon man..not cool

DC weather might look nice but it's far from realistic

At 60mph there won't be any "bubbles" of water from raindrops

At 100mph the only thing rain drops are doing is being blasted quickly and vertically up the windscreen by wind

So you prefer fake water physics as long as it looks nice?

Yep not even close to realistic

TBiddy

FluidDismalBat.gif

for comparrison

1nexEW9.gif

edit weather as a whole here, rain and lightning/storm effects, because feelings.

Great comparison. Of course F7 looks better, but that goes without saying, considering the extra horsepower in the XOX.

MilkyJoe

DC weather might look nice but it's far from realistic

At 60mph there won't be any "bubbles" of water from raindrops

At 100mph the only thing rain drops are doing is being blasted quickly and vertically up the windscreen by wind

So you prefer fake water physics as long as it looks nice?

This is correct, they look great but they are stylistic and true to life.

c0de

Great comparison. Of course F7 looks better, but that goes without saying, considering the extra horsepower in the XOX.

But most of the extra power is "wasted" on 4k, meaning 4x the resolution of DC which was done on a machine with 1.8TF which, if we just multiply, would mean 7.2TF by just increasing the resolution. Then you have to consider that one game is 30 fps, meaning it has twice the time to render a frame.

TBiddy

But most of the extra power is "wasted" on 4k, meaning 4x the resolution of DC which was done on a machine with 1.8TF which, if we just multiply, would mean 7.2TF by just increasing the resolution. Then you have to consider that one game is 30 fps, meaning it has twice the time to render a frame.

Indeed. DC is a great looking game - especially in very small compressed gifs, made from replays - but all things considered, it's not as amazing and flawless as it's made out to be in this thread.

It'd be a fun thing to see what T10 could do with a closed-circuit racing game running in 1080p30. Horizon 3 is already up there with the best looking games of the generation, and that's an open-world game.

I'll get you a nicer comparison then

giphy.gif

You're comparing night and day. Literally. What makes you think that is a "nicer comparison"?

Indeed. DC is a great looking game - especially in very small compressed gifs, made from replays - but all things considered, it's not as amazing and flawless as it's made out to be in this thread.

It'd be a fun thing to see what T10 could do with a closed-circuit racing game running in 1080p30. Horizon 3 is already up there with the best looking games of the generation, and that's an open-world game.

You're comparing night and day. Literally. What makes you think that is a "nicer comparison"?

The complaint seemed to be the lack of lighting on DC in the conditions shown, I was just pointing out that there is lighting from lightning in the game.

I'm puzzled as to what people are seeing in the images, that they honestly feel that F7 has better lighting than DC

KORNdoggy

love the way the off-screen lightning illuminates the on-lens raindrops. for me DC craps on forza. but forza is 60fps and running 4k...so...apples and oranges.

I dunno what you just watched.

the same thing you did. GTS has better lighting. polyphony games always have done. this latest effort from both studio's is no different.

TBiddy

The complaint seemed to be the lack of lighting on DC in the conditions shown, I was just pointing out that there is lighting from lightning in the game.

I'm puzzled as to what people are seeing in the images, that they honestly feel that F7 has better lighting than DC

The lightning in the previous gifs looks much better in F7. Hands down.

But generally speaking, it's borderline ridiculous to argue which game looks the best and has the better lightning, based on highly-compressed gifs, that are cherry-picked to support whichever game and/or platform one prefers.

MilkyJoe

The lightning in the previous gifs looks much better in F7. Hands down.

But generally speaking, it's borderline ridiculous to argue which game looks the best and has the better lightning, based on highly-compressed gifs, that are cherry-picked to support whichever game and/or platform one prefers.

To be fair, you can't really cherry pick from an unreleased game

the same thing you did. GTS has better lighting. polyphony games always have done. this latest effort from both studio's is no different.

Each to their own, but i can't see it in that video. It does not look very good

Gwyn

love the way the off-screen lightning illuminates the on-lens raindrops. for me DC craps on forza. but forza is 60fps and running 4k...so...apples and oranges.

Excessive on lens rain drops that's a nice trick to hide bad IQ in DC

lol @ craps

MilkyJoe

The complaint is that when lightning happens in real life it illuminates the environment pretty much exactly as the effect on the Forza 7 gif, even down to the fluctuating irradiance. In the DC gif it's just a stick of white.

Stillmatic

DC uses a particle and fluid system to simulate rain and it's effects. FM uses textures.

One is undeniably more impressive technically.

Which one looks better is subjective.

For me personally DC blows everything out of the water regarding weather effects.

Think I'll vacate this thread and wait for this weather discussion to blow over, as I'm clearly not seeing what everyone else is in this F7 gif. T10 have always seemed to have unrealistic lighting and 7 doesn't seem to buck that trend imho.

Top Bottom