• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

drotahorror

My goodness, why did SONY not keep EVO around....This is the best race graphics to have come so far this gen...I have never seen a game deliver an ominous tropical storm atmosphere like this before, it's insane how far ahead DC is relative to weather effects and lighting. Sony needs to give this game some love somehow tbh... Sequel or Pro patch, something needs to happen...

You should go back and check out Motorstorm Apocalypse on PS3. The storms and weather in that game were amazing and still are 6 years later. Evolution Studios was no doubt some of the greatest wizards in the industry.

You should go back and check out Motorstorm Apocalypse on PS3. The storms and weather in that game were amazing and still are 6 years later. Evolution Studios was no doubt some of the greatest wizards in the industry.

Yep when it came to racer graphics they were high on the list. Motorstorm:A was also amazing in 3D! Seeing the debris flying towards you from the screen was great. Shame Sony didn't seem to have faith in them any more. DRIVECLUB really needs a little Pro polish or a sequel.

TBiddy

Youtube is still your friend in the case you would know DC only through gifs :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61ZcR3Fwnc8
Please, help yourself.

And share your feelings my friend...

Using Youtube is almost as bad as using compressed gifs, though. The issue is that when people (from both sides, mind you) starts using cherry-picked gifs to argue whichever game looks better, it becomes a game of who is a better producer of gifs, not a discussion about what separates the games.

Kind of like your fortress, pot, kettle come to mind. Drive club looks amazing.....no need to be hurt by that and try to downplay and and proclaim it is all Bias...The game simply looks incredible, especially with weather. Digital Foundry ain't lying.

Funny part of your post, you brought up forza and are very defensive, maybe look at your own posts bro before criticizing others.

I'd advise you to look at my previous posts in this thread. I have time and time again applauded DC for how it looks. DC looks great. But it does have limitations, especially in the IQ department, which is only natural considering the machine it's running on. FH3 also have issues. But as I wrote above, when people start to cherry-pick gifs in 150x150px, any serious talk goes out the window.

If you really want to compare directly, you'd need direct feed from both DC and FH3 (or FM7) in the same weather conditions.

Sebmugi

My goodness, why did SONY not keep EVO around....This is the best race graphics to have come so far this gen...I have never seen a game deliver an ominous tropical storm atmosphere like this before, it's insane how far ahead DC is relative to weather effects and lighting. Sony needs to give this game some love somehow tbh... Sequel or Pro patch, something needs to happen...

I think that when Driveclub gives all it has best, it still exceeds the competition 3 years later ... and this is normal for a no open world game in 1080p 30fps
If you like the tropical atmosphere I give you the suite;) it is the quiet walk

https://youtu.be/wa8oPqJKkm0
I will remake one but without the sound of the engine, to hear well the sounds of nature <3

Using Youtube is almost as bad as using compressed gifs, though. The issue is that when people (from both sides, mind you) starts using cherry-picked gifs to argue whichever game looks better, it becomes a game of who is a better producer of gifs, not a discussion about what separates the games.

I'd advise you to look at my previous posts in this thread. I have time and time again applauded DC for how it looks. DC looks great. But it does have limitations, especially in the IQ department, which is only natural considering the machine it's running on. FH3 also have issues. But as I wrote above, when people start to cherry-pick gifs in 150x150px, any serious talk goes out the window.

If you really want to compare directly, you'd need direct feed from both DC and FH3 (or FM7) in the same weather conditions.

gamersyde.com has a ton of high quality DC videos. no reason to use anything else

MilkyJoe

It would be nice that there is a random localization of lightning a bit like that of DC <3

YzqGuiN.gif

source fresh 1080p home capture

https://youtu.be/LOvF_flZsZk

This looked way better on my phone.

drotahorror

Yep when it came to racer graphics they were high on the list. Motorstorm:A was also amazing in 3D! Seeing the debris flying towards you from the screen was great. Shame Sony didn't seem to have faith in them any more. DRIVECLUB really needs a little Pro polish or a sequel.

Apocalypse is so underrated it's criminal. I love it, to me it's just as good as Pacific Rift. It's the craziest arcade racer to exist. I remember importing it from the UK due to the delay in the states (and other countries).

Glad to see Rushy lurkin around here too. Damn I can't wait to see what they're working on.

thelastword

Banned
Even more impressive when you consider the entire weather system was (IIRC) added as a patch to DC - it wasn't even designed to be in at launch. The post release support by EVO was outstanding (and necessary to rebuild good will due to the launch server debacle).

A PS5 sequel in a couple of years would be amazing, although the way Forza Horizons is evolving it may well beat them to the punch with the next release or two.
I don't think Horizon will get there this gen though, especially if it's still hamstrung by XB1. Also, what Evo has done here, speaks a lot about talent than just pure hardware strength..

It's how everything pans out in DC that makes it so great. One thing that really impresses on-top of all the pros in DC is the draw distance and track layout, with so many racers, you don't even see far ahead of the track, in DC the tracks are so expansive that you can clearly see where you need to go from far out. The large track layout also helps the immersion of the weather much more than in typical racers. You actually feel like storms are raging on the sea in DC behind the mountains or that the lightning is striking some distance away or even close, they made all the right decisions to have everything work so well together and look so believable.

Yes, I have it on disc and digitally, but my PS3 went kaput before I could really dig deeply into it, I did play the first couple of races and the amount of stuff EVO put on screen for a bandwidth starved PS3 was simply amazing. IMO, every game in that series was a revelation. I'm still the biggest fan of mud deformation in their first title and their tracks were always large and open...Pacific Rift was truly an eye opener at the time for a tropical paradise racer, the colors, foliage, water effects are still hands down some of the best out there. So yes, they can make dark and dreary atmospheres like in DC, they can make brown muddy tracks like in Motorstorm 1, and they can definitely make a colorful, sun glazing, water-fiesta type racer even before Horizon did it...I still feel the Motorstorm series is one of the best looking racing games to date, notwithstanding, track layout and sense of speed has always been their forte...
I think that when Driveclub gives all it has best, it still exceeds the competition 3 years later ... and this is normal for a no open world game in 1080p 30fps
If you like the tropical atmosphere I give you the suite;) it is the quiet walk

https://youtu.be/wa8oPqJKkm0
I will remake one but without the sound of the engine, to hear well the sounds of nature <3
Well I wouldn't say it's normal for non openworld 30fps racers, there are quite a few 30fps non-openworld racers that don't light a candle to DC or even GTS at 60fps. That also includes openworld 30fps racers....too ;)

I still believe we will be awed when a studio really puts some effort into an open world racer (graphically). The large tracks in Motorstorm and DC gives me all the evidence that graphics can look just as good in an openworld, if a talented developer attempts it. I believe EVO can do it and so can Criterion (if they're still alive). Hey, watch what criterion did with a 60fps open-world racer in Paradise. I just never like to give too much credit to open world racers which don't measure up graphically, especially at 30fps...

Anyhoos, got sidetracked;) Awesome vid btw. Need to fire up DC again tbh...The engines on those Nissans are roaring quite a storm eh..

That's right ;)
Rushy, what can we do for you guys to patch DC on the PRO, can you make a call? and say the internet is clamoring for it? ;)

TBiddy

The large tracks in Motorstorm and DC gives me all the evidence that graphics can look just as good in an openworld, if a talented developer attempts it. I believe EVO can do it and so can Criterion (if they're still alive). Hey, watch what criterion did with a 60fps open-world racer in Paradise. I just never like to give too much credit to open world racers which don't measure up graphically, especially at 30fps...

I think you severely underestimate how much extra work it takes to move from corridor-racing to open-world racing. There's a reason why DC and FM doesn't look very good outside the track-limits. It's not lazyness.

edit:
I still believe we will be awed when a studio really puts some effort into an open world racer (graphically)

A lot of people were awed by FH3. Like, a lot. I'm guessing Playground "really did put some effort" into FH3, but I suppose it's on the wrong platform, right?

Bobnob

I like what i've seen of Driveclub, do evolution studio's only work with sony? is there any chance of the Evo game being multi platform?

I like what i've seen of Driveclub, do evolution studio's only work with sony? is there any chance of the Evo game being multi platform?

Evo no longer exists, but some staff from the team are now at Codemasters which means yes, future stuff will be multiplatform.

Sebmugi

I spent good times on FH3 on Xone, we see that it is clearly a middle-generation game, the resources are very well used <3

I would like to see the work of evolution studio on a second game with their base create for driveclub .. °__°'
Since ps3 at sony, car games in particular come out with bad timing .. too early (DC) or too late (GT6) which is a very bad thing .. :(

JlNX

I don't think Horizon will get there this gen though, especially if it's still hamstrung by XB1. Also, what Evo has done here, speaks a lot about talent than just pure hardware strength..

look so believable.

and they can definitely make a colorful, sun glazing, water-fiesta type racer even before Horizon did it...I still feel the Motorstorm series is one of the best looking racing games to date, notwithstanding, track layout and sense of speed has always been their forte...
Well I wouldn't say it's normal for non openworld 30fps racers, there are quite a few 30fps non-openworld racers that don't light a candle to DC or even GTS at 60fps. That also includes openworld 30fps racers....too ;)

I still believe we will be awed when a studio really puts some effort into an open world racer (graphically). The large tracks in Motorstorm and DC gives me all the evidence that graphics can look just as good in an openworld, if a talented developer attempts it.

I just never like to give too much credit to open world racers which don't measure up graphically, especially at 30fps...

Anyhoos, got sidetracked;) Awesome vid btw. Need to fire up DC again tbh...The engines on those Nissans are roaring quite a storm eh..

38e25f0e5e81ce657703703cf58b9b0bc1d093a.gif

I spent good times on FH3 on Xone, we see that it is clearly a middle-generation game, the resources are very well used <3

I would like to see the work of evolution studio on a second game with their base create for driveclub .. °__°'
Since ps3 at sony, car games in particular come out with bad timing .. too early (DC) or too late (GT6) which is a very bad thing .. :(

Being fair, DC came out late as well, but also it came late with server issues, which made the whole problem worse. Their support after that was brilliant though.

thelastword

Banned
Jesus, why pick the blandest, brownest, most boring track available?
What does it matter what track is used .. texture work, effects, lighting,fluidity in motion all looks leagues superior in GTS. Project Cars looks like a mid 2000 pc racer in that comparison.

ShapeGSX

Apocalypse is so underrated it's criminal. I love it, to me it's just as good as Pacific Rift. It's the craziest arcade racer to exist. I remember importing it from the UK due to the delay in the states (and other countries).

It just wasn't a lot of fun to me. Too much stuff to run into and stop your forward progress once you got to a certain point in the game.

Sebmugi

It's more like the advantage of heavy application of some good DoF and motion blur shaders. There's a reason that replays are only 60FPS at 1080p on a Pro.

It is true that this adds charm and more cinematographic rendering to the whole, but the bulk of the rendering comes from the game engine anyway

What is it about GT that brings out the crazies?

Yet it does look that bad for me, but then again I play around on all types of systems when playing racing games.

Fanboy ignorance is a nice and blissful place to be, completely wipes out any form of objective angles when looking at games.

There is no need for personal insults and "Ignorance"..I have played every racing game this gen bro..and digital foundry disagrees with you. If it looks that bad for you your PS4 is broken. Look in the mirror about ignorance and before throwing stones. You are not the only guy on the planet that has played other racing games on other systems.

JayDub

Has everyone seen this side by side comparison of F6 and GTS?

The lighting, exterior AND interior models, background and sound are all so much better in F6. I was especially surprised with the interior..I remember seeing all those promo shots of GT6's interiors and how they got those materials so right. Here in this video it looks so flat in GTS. Specifically, the AC vents and dash.

Then I saw some replays of GTS and F6, and its very clear that GTS nailed the replay graphics.

Also, some other videos of GTS's gameplay looks really great (exterior models).

Opinions?

Video Here

Sebmugi

Has everyone seen this side by side comparison of F6 and GTS?

The lighting, exterior AND interior models, background and sound are all so much better in F6. I was especially surprised with the interior..I remember seeing all those promo shots of GT6's interiors and how they got those materials so right. Here in this video it looks so flat in GTS. Specifically, the AC vents and dash.

Then I saw some replays of GTS and F6, and its very clear that GTS nailed the replay graphics.

Also, some other videos of GTS's gameplay looks really great (exterior models).

Opinions?

Video Here

I think we have to wait for the final game so that the comparatives are worthy of the name;)

Yeah was a great part of the first game too. Looks amazing for VR too

I just jumped back into PCars 1 and that is one of my favorite features. It takes a few laps to get used to it, but it is much easier to drive with a controller that way. Fanatec/Sony better work out their beef before Sep. 22.

MilkyJoe

I just jumped back into PCars 1 and that is one of my favorite features. It takes a few laps to get used to it, but it is much easier to drive with a controller that way. Fanatec/Sony better work out their beef before Sep. 22.

Yeah really great, unfortunately the missus goes bananas when I play PC because of the sound effects, especially as I mostly play Formula A, so I've not had a go in ages.

Anyone else feel wired as fuck after playing Formula cars, due to the speed and concentration needed?

Top Bottom