• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

nib95

Banned
Your act was stale 12 months ago. For a PC guy, you sure like your console thread drive-bys.

Utterly dull now.
Leave him be. Games like The Order 1886, Uncharted 4 and Driveclub are going to cause a good degree of salt with some members just on the basis of their graphical potency, despite coming from such "weak" hardware. Certain people were so adamant these consoles were deeply under powered and just wouldn't be able to deliver the kind of improvements in graphical fidelity expected of a new generation. The reality, especially from exclusives, has been quite the contrary.

Game4life

Banned
Leave him be. Games like The Order 1886, Uncharted 4 and Driveclub are going to cause a good degree of salt with some members just on the basis of their graphical potency, despite coming from such "weak" hardware. Certain people were so adamant these consoles were deeply under powered and just wouldn't be able to deliver the kind of improvements in graphical fidelity expected of a new generation. The reality, especially from exclusives, has been quite the contrary.

I am yet to see a PC game that looks as stunning as the Order. ( Looks implying visuals and not necessary tech ). I would be glad if someone shows it to me but that is for another thread I suppose. Eitherways I am happy with the capability of the current generation of consoles.

nib95

Banned
I am yet to see a PC game that looks as stunning as the Order. ( Looks implying visuals and not necessary tech ). I would be glad if someone shows it to me but that is for another thread I suppose. Eitherways I am happy with the capability of the current generation of consoles.

Absolutely. With launch window games already looking spectacular in Killzone Shadow Fall, Ryse and InFamous Second Son, I was already confident we were going to be given a visual tour de force this generation. Games like Driveclub, The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 are just further proving that.

shandy706

For better or worse :S

ibuS3ukWfuBSmc.gif

As far as we know, it's properly open-world. Also, darn-it, I accidentally posted in the wrong thread:

izOpeohC6fJKf.gif

LOL, that looks like so much fun.

You can almost hear the guy in the first gif saying woooooooo...uh oh....oh !$!@@!#!

Game can't get here fast enough, can't wait to pre-load.

jett

D-Member
After playing Grid 2 for several weeks now at sweet 60fps, and recently getting NFS Rivals I've realized I really can't play 30fps racers anymore. I thought maybe I could, but no, I really can't. Holy shit that's just unbearable. Fortunately there's a 60fps workaround, but that was quite the wake up call. A real shame Evo decided on 30fps for DriuveCloobz. Going forward absolutely no racers should "target" 30fps, no matter what.

Gestault

Blazing through those fields is actually what destroys any interest I ever could have had in the game...

What a waste of the Forza physics engine...

People like racing games for different reasons, and I'm in the camp of having loved the original Horizon because that driving model as the basis for the festival/street races made the game that much more satisfying. The same will be true here. The horizon games existing doesn't make the vanilla Forza series cease to be.

Have you already pretty much cleaned up the career events in 5? I need gamertags from people who've done more of the races to populate my race times charts.

nkarafo

After playing Grid 2 for several weeks now at sweet 60fps, and recently getting NFS Rivals I've realized I really can't play 30fps racers anymore. I thought maybe I could, but no, I really can't. Holy shit that's just unbearable. Fortunately there's a 60fps workaround, but that was quite the wake up call. A real shame Evo decided on 30fps for DriuveCloobz. Going forward absolutely no racers should "target" 30fps, no matter what.
I agree. 60fps is very important for this genre. I'm on the same boat. Played a lot of 60fps racing games in the past and i just can't get to the slower ones anymore. Its too bad that there are slower ones in this day and age.

jett

D-Member
Opinions, they're nice, but yours ain't universal.

It's indeed what I personally firmly believe. As far as I'm concerned, 60fps is of utmost importance in two genres: fighters and racers. Hell, throw 2D/2.5D platformers in there as well, shit feels so sluggish at 30fps.

Metfanant

People like racing games for different reasons, and I'm in the camp of having loved the original Horizon because that driving model as the basis for the festival/street races made the game that much more satisfying. The same will be true here. The horizon games existing doesn't make the vanilla Forza series cease to be.

Oh I agree..the Forza proper games are the best...FM3 and 4 were MUCH better games than GT5 and 6...it just makes my cringe seeing a Lamborghini plow across an open field at 150mph with seemingly no I'll effects...heck, even the BMW X5(?) In that posted video would shred itself apart doing what it did in the video..

Idk I'm all for the open world/club/street/event/cannonball run type racing games...bur the offroading just kills it for me...

Have you already pretty much cleaned up the career events in 5? I need gamertags from people who've done more of the races to populate my race times charts.

Unfortunately I have not picked up an Xbone yet so I had to sadly skip 5...but Forza 6 and Halo 5 next fall will force me to pull the trigger...

le-seb

It's indeed what I personally firmly believe. As far as I'm concerned, 60fps is of utmost importance in two genres: fighters and racers. Hell, throw 2D/2.5D platformers in there as well, shit feels so sluggish at 30fps.
Stay away from 30 fps racers (and their threads) then. Problem solved.

I mean, do you see me moaning in any FPS thread that I don't like FPS?

le-seb

Can't imagine slower frame rates being more appealing to anyone, especially when it comes to racing games.
Give me stable 30 fps any day over choppy 60 fps (Gran Turismo, I'm looking at you).
And I also prefer my games looking gorgeous than simply looking pretty.
That's why I have absolutely no problems with 30 fps racers.

jett

D-Member

This is a next-gen racing graphics face-off thread, not a *insert game you're a fanboy of that you feel incomprehensibly slighted about" thread.

Pallie

Banned

Heaven forbid someone have a dissenting opinion. I'm also in the camp that'll take smooth gameplay over ridiculously over the top graphics all day long. Most people who've played a lot of racing games at 60fps really find it hard to go back to 30. It just feels so unnatural. 60fps feels like driving, 30 feels like a damn Tony Hawk game with cars.

ShutterMunster

Heaven forbid someone have a dissenting opinion. I'm also in the camp that'll take smooth gameplay over ridiculously over the top graphics all day long. Most people who've played a lot of racing games at 60fps really find it hard to go back to 30. It just feels so unnatural. 60fps feels like driving, 30 feels like a damn Tony Hawk game with cars.

lol...

Come on man.

Revson

Most people who've played a lot of racing games at 60fps really find it hard to go back to 30. It just feels so unnatural. 60fps feels like driving, 30 feels like a damn Tony Hawk game with cars.

I disagree. I've been playing mostly racing games for years (And I'm pretty good at them) and 30 fps doesn't bother me at all to the extent that you're describing. I can switch from Forza to something like Dirt 3 with no problem.

60fps is preferable, but I've never understood people who list 30 fps as a deal breaker. It's just not that important to me, I guess. But you know, opinions and all that. :)

le-seb

This is a next-gen racing graphics face-off thread, not a *insert game you're a fanboy of that you feel incomprehensibly slighted about" thread.
Okay, I'll just remind it to you next time I see you moaning in a 'DriuveCloobz' thread, then.

Loving the hyperbole, here.

How come I couldn't hear anybody from the usual sim racing suspects who've tried it at E3 or Gamescom complain about DC being like a damn Tony Hawk game with cars?
There must be reason, right?

Pallie

Banned
Okay, I'll just remind it to you next time I see you moaning in a 'DriuveCloobz' thread, then.

Loving the hyperbole, here.

How come I couldn't hear anybody from the usual sim racing suspects who've tried it at E3 or Gamescom complain about DC being like a damn Tony Hawk game with cars?
There must be reason, right?

Selective listening I suppose.

23qwerty

When I played Forza 5 at an EB Games demo station I was really really unimpressed by the visuals. Was that just because it was a demo or..? Demo stations probably aren't the best judge of visuals I suppose since you're so close to the fairly big screen. Would probably look better if I were further away, the aliasing was super noticeable.

maneil99

When I played Forza 5 at an EB Games demo station I was really really unimpressed by the visuals. Was that just because it was a demo or..? Demo stations probably aren't the best judge of visuals I suppose since you're so close to the fairly big screen. Would probably look better if I were further away, the aliasing was super noticeable.

Same here, textures were pretty bad too

T.O.P

Banned

Aliasing is still noticeable, but i tried the game a couple of weeks before on a demo station and i don't know if it was the tv settings or something but it looked 10 times worse than what i got on my Sony W905A at launch

VanWinkle

I rented it and played it a bit. It looks okay. Beyond last gen definitely but not overly impressive.

Aliasing is still noticeable, but i tried the game a couple of weeks before on a demo station and i don't know if it was the tv settings or something but it looked 10 times worse than what i got on my Sony W905A at launch

Probably because demo stations usually have the sharpness cranked to the max.

Philly40

Have you ever driven a car in real life?

I would be interested to know how 60fps can re-create g-force and stuff.

Top Bottom