• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

jim2011

Haven't played drive club yet but forza horizon 2 looks incredible and significantly better than forza 5. You don't notice it much in 3rd person view but put it in cockpit or bumper view and be amazed.

nib95

Banned
DriveClub's scenery looks rough there, I'd have thought Nib95 would have picked up on that straight away and created a thread.

Surprised.

Lol. They're really bad screenshots though. Game does have it's rough spots (like any other), but overall the scenery is pretty much second to none. Posted a bunch of gameplay screens earlier.

iboqeO5r5mErVQ.jpg

driveclubschermafbeelxcf6z.png

ibmoM847Vbj4Kc.jpg

ibwal03kDVPhCE.jpg

iUdSK8pdwufnF.jpg

ib1b9xseI9ygTI.jpg

iffRQeozzPS83.jpg

i3wr2xD4No620.jpg

BzWhdkRIYAALUAV.jpg:orig

3cmXJB.jpg

ipSIsPqJah8TD.jpg~original

iNIpz90anEeeC.jpg

driveclub_20141006133608-jpg.18242

driveclub_20141006133120-jpg.18245

ibuD7xqVInkGEa.jpg

il3rwHP5ofhwH.jpg

Gestault

I especially like these tunnels. The "flash" of speed in the enclosed spaces and the tiling/lighting are a great track pacing element. This game cries out for its photo mode, though. Anything full-sized suffers when it's not in motion.

[Side note: If you're throwing up that many images in a row, might you quote them in the future, so they don't take so long to scroll through?]

jett

D-Member
Lol. They're really bad screenshots though. Game does have it's rough spots (like any other), but overall the scenery is pretty much second to none. Posted a bunch of gameplay screens earlier.

All those screens you posted look, in a word, dull.

sbrew

Banned
Haven't played drive club yet but forza horizon 2 looks incredible and significantly better than forza 5. You don't notice it much in 3rd person view but put it in cockpit or bumper view and be amazed.

I don't think anybody should be allowed to utter the phrase, "looks better than Forza 5" until a 1080P/60fps driving game comes out on the PS4/XB1 that is therefore worthy to be compared to it.

Project Cars looks like it might be a contender. It's supposed to be 1080P/60fps on PS4/XB1.

pixlexic

Banned
With a crazy turn of events my vote goes to Forza Horizon 2 for best looking so far

, but Drive Club gets my vote for best racer so far.

It's totally opposite of my initial prediction.

I can't understand how there is even a debate.
Driveclub is better in every regard except anti aliasing.
Texture detail, environmental detail, lighting, foliage etc.
Its not even close.

Mohonky

Is this real, from a real game? LOL
I believe thats Forza Horizon 2's low poly crowd for when they are at a distance, but people are able to get a shot of them in photomode some how. They are (usually) better looking than that.

Anyway as someone that hasnt played Driveclub or the NFS titles, is Driveclub a big leap over NFS in person, because Driveclub does seem to have a very NFS look about it. It honestly doesnt really look that much if any better? Or have I just seen really good shots of NFS I am not rememnering correctly?

VanWinkle

With a crazy turn of events my vote goes to Forza Horizon 2 for best looking so far

, but Drive Club gets my vote for best racer so far.

It's totally opposite of my initial prediction.

That's interesting, because every aspect other than IQ is a big win in Driveclub's favor. But the IQ is a big win for FH2 for sure.

Did you miss the joke that it was two people deliberately finding bad-looking screenshots of the "other" game?

I was looking at the fpictures of that red car and its steering wheel from all three games. I don't think any of those pcitures (all 6) are at all flattering.

VanWinkle

I believe thats Forza Horizon 2's low poly crowd for when they are at a distance, but people are able to get a shot of them in photomode some how. They are (usually) better looking than that.

Anyway as someone that hasnt played Driveclub or the NFS titles, is Driveclub a big leap over NFS in person, because Driveclub does seem to have a very NFS look about it. It honestly doesnt really look that much if any better? Or have I just seen really good shots of NFS I am not rememnering correctly?

Yeah, I was a big advocate for NFS Rivals' visuals, even in this thread, but DC looks WAY better having spent some good time in both. The lighting in DC is by far the best I've ever seen, and the landscapes are grandiose and incredible.

Noobcraft

I can't understand how there is even a debate.
Driveclub is better in every regard except anti aliasing.
Texture detail, environmental detail, lighting, foliage etc.
Its not even close.
I would actually give FH2 the nod in foliage too. Driving through fields of wheat/flowers is amazing. I'd actually only give Driveclub credit for its amazing lighting and higher poly details on track elements. The texture detail is a toss up IMO.

nib95

Banned
Here's a bunch of Forza Horizon 2 gameplay screens for comparisons sake. Most of these are lossless PNG's instead of compressed jpeg's.

MidtownMadness31080pScreenShot2014-09-1612-46-07.png~original

ivakbeLvZ7fhg.PNG

idKS7hvIRjkjg.PNG

ibbgyfLFDcL2wY.jpeg

ixzQlXhfLXDPp.PNG

iVzTBQQV5XbxL.PNG

SfQ9RR.jpg

forza_horizon_2-2623645.jpg

iGwwGXQ2Lg3vX.PNG

MidtownMadness31080pScreenShot2014-09-1601-04-38.png~original

VanWinkle

I would actually give FH2 the nod in foliage too. Driving through fields of wheat/flowers is amazing. I'd actually only give Driveclub credit for its amazing lighting and higher poly details on track elements. The texture detail is a toss up IMO.

Really? Foliage is no more detailed in FH2, and DC has a bigger variety. Also driving and seeing thousands of dandelions or whatever they are in the fields to your left and right on DC is amazing looking. The foliage has blown me away more than FH2's, which is still really good.

Gestault

I think details like crowds and foliage in gameplay would get my nod in Horizon 2, particularly with so many comments about how nice distance scenery looks, and it being something you can actually traverse. To be fair, since the delay of the PS+ version, my reference point for DC is just from the HQ videos and streams out there. The lighting is clearly better in Driveclub. No weather in DC makes it hard to compare other stuff though, as the rain looks amazing in FH2 and we don't have in-hand comparisons for DC.

Considering the early showings of both, I ended up more impressed by one and less by the other, post-release.

Noobcraft

Really? Foliage is no more detailed in FH2, and DC has a bigger variety. Also driving and seeing thousands of dandelions or whatever they are in the fields to your left and right on DC is amazing looking. The foliage has blown me away more than FH2's, which is still really good.
I think it's more the IQ for me. Aliasing has always been a problem on foliage (it even is in FH2), but I think aliasing in general is what forms my opinion on it. Driveclub also has more locations in unique regions to allow more foliage diversity so there is that.

Gestault

Here's a bunch of Forza Horizon 2 gameplay screens for comparisons sake. Most of these are lossless PNG's instead of compressed jpeg's.

Nice old collection of FordGTGuy's demo screen caps. Your ability to use someone else's old material excessively never disappoints :S

Really? Maybe the act of driving through foliage, but actually foliage quality is light years ahead in Driveclub. Fully geometric, with physics based branches and leaves, self shadowing etc. FH2 has pretty bog standard last gen foliage.

But more importantly, you keep comparison screens where one game is in motion and the other is still, which isn't nearly as useful for comparison. See how the speedometer is at "0" in one, and "100" in the other? It's hard not to see a pattern. You seem to put more curation effort into one than the other.

nib95

Banned

I think details like crowds and foliage in gameplay would get my nod in Horizon 2

Really? Maybe the act of driving through foliage, but actual foliage quality is light years ahead in Driveclub. Fully geometric, with physics based branches and leaves, self shadowing etc. FH2 has pretty bog standard last gen foliage.

idKS7hvIRjkjg.PNG

AvMJiQ.jpg

nib95

Banned
But more importantly, you keep comparison screens where one game is in motion and the other is still, which isn't nearly as useful for comparison. See how the speedometer is at "0" in one, and "100" in the other? It's hard not to see a pattern. You seem to put more curation effort into one than the other.

Feel free to post your own. Actual gameplay screens of FH2 are actually very hard to come by. 99% of all screenshots out there for the game are Photo Mode one's.

Gestault

Feel free to post your own. Actual gameplay screens of FH2 are actually very hard to come by. 99% of all screenshots out there for the game are Photo Mode one's.

Being at work and there not being a system-level screen-capture mode makes that more difficult. I would hope that my point that you're choosing unmatched screens would make some sense to you.

This is from some of my gameplay. I've seen better looking stretches, but this is what I'd call a fair indication of how the foliage looks in a race. It looks especially good driving through it, but I was the one making the point about like-for-like.

foliage.gif

So putting it next to your example, I hope you'd see more my perspective:

Caayn

Really? Maybe the act of driving through foliage, but actual foliage quality is light years ahead in Driveclub. Fully geometric, with physics based branches and leaves, self shadowing etc. FH2 has pretty bog standard last gen foliage.
The comparison you make here is not exactly fair. One shot has a car standing still (=no motion blur) and in the other the car is moving 100KM/h (= with motion blur).
Here ya go. All of these are 100% ingame. Post 1, Post 2.

jem0208

iboqeO5r5mErVQ.jpg

driveclubschermafbeelxcf6z.png

ibmoM847Vbj4Kc.jpg

ibwal03kDVPhCE.jpg

iUdSK8pdwufnF.jpg

ib1b9xseI9ygTI.jpg

iffRQeozzPS83.jpg

i3wr2xD4No620.jpg

BzWhdkRIYAALUAV.jpg:orig

3cmXJB.jpg

ipSIsPqJah8TD.jpg~original

iNIpz90anEeeC.jpg

driveclub_20141006133608-jpg.18242

driveclub_20141006133120-jpg.18245

ibuD7xqVInkGEa.jpg

il3rwHP5ofhwH.jpg

Technically Driveclub looks gorgeous, most of the time at least. However art style wise it's just kinda boring.

The alpine snowy environments looks pretty cool. But most of the rest are a bit dull.

idKS7hvIRjkjg.PNG

AvMJiQ.jpg

To be fair, in both games the grass doesn't have any shadows and is merely a sprite unlike something like Crysis 3.

Also, is it still hard to find any lossless captures of Driveclub? I would reall ylove to see some, the macro blocking fudges up the image quality really bad.

Krilekk

Banned

Yes and no. The lighting in Horizon 2 is awesome. Texture quality on the other hand is a league behind Forza 5.

Gestault

The comparison you make here is not exactly fair. One shot has a car standing still (=no motion blur) and in the other the car is moving 100KM/h (= with motion blur).
Here ya go. All of these are 100% ingame. Post 1, Post 2.

The added touch of quoting Nib in that thread saying "holy crap, these are gorgeous!" is part of why I made my comment about the effort he puts into curation being...uneven.

Afrikan

Technically Driveclub looks gorgeous, most of the time at least. However art style wise it's just kinda boring.

The alpine snowy environments looks pretty cool. But most of the rest are a bit dull.

you mean real life is boring? GT looks boring? Project Cars looks boring?

even with the realistic art choice.....I've also been distracted by the environment on many occasions, to the point of almost crashing.

like say seeing a bunch pink things flocking together in the distance, then coming to realize that those are flamingos...which I can't remember ever seeing in a videogame or TV since Miami Vice.

Mohonky

Yeah, I was a big advocate for NFS Rivals' visuals, even in this thread, but DC looks WAY better having spent some good time in both. The lighting in DC is by far the best I've ever seen, and the landscapes are grandiose and incredible.

Yeh went back and checked out a video of NFS Rivals and it definitely isnt as nice, the lighting is a big difference as well as many subtle details.

adelante

Not really. I noticed it myself when I was fooling around in one of the India tracks last night. Main branches themselves are polygonal but the leaves/foliage are sprite-based (they always face you when you pass them by; the effect is subtle, but it's there).

Heh, so cool to see my screens popping up in all sorts of threads :)

I own both games and while I think Forza Horizon 2 is a gorgeous game as well, especially due to the high IQ, it definitely has a stylized look to it that comes across as almost cartoony at times. I prefer the more realistic look of Driveclub, but I can see why people might have a different opinion.

Regardless of that I have to agree with people who say the foliage in Driveclub holds up better, it's more detailed and there's simply more of it.

ibxF4RgCnJTmnY.jpg

shandy706

Yes and no. The lighting in Horizon 2 is awesome. Texture quality on the other hand is a league behind Forza 5.

Being a closed track racer allows F5 to have darn near photorealistic textures on a lot of things. It has the 60fps but lacks the lighting quality.

Texturing detail is what surprises me about DC. The game is glorious in motion, but is often really ugly sitting still. Even still shots of it in motion make it look rough, but that same scene looks incredible when moving.

Sitting still FH2 seems to have the better looking assets texture/material wise overall despite it being open world. It seems to literally split the difference lighting and texture wise between DC and F5.

I don't think there's much arguing in here because I can honestly say I think DC looks better than FH2 AND that FH2 looks better than DC. Maybe that's why there is hesitation and this thread is dead, lol. Head explodes.

I don't know if that thought makes sense, but it's the best I can articulate it.

Not really. I noticed it myself when I was fooling around in one of the India tracks last night. Main branches themselves are polygonal but the leaves/foliage are sprite-based (they always face you when you pass them by; the effect is subtle, but it's there).

Interesting. I've only noticed rotation in things (that LOD correctly) that are flower size or smaller in H2.

Heh, so cool to see my screens popping up in all sorts of threads :)

I own both games and while I think Forza Horizon 2 is a gorgeous game as well, especially due to the high IQ, it definitely has a stylized look to it that comes across as almost cartoony at times. I prefer the more realistic look of Driveclub, but I can see why people might have a different opinion.

Regardless of that I have to agree with people who say the foliage in Driveclub holds up better, it's more detailed and there's simply more of it.

ibxF4RgCnJTmnY.jpg

I love that part of the track.

Top Bottom